Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

This takes over from the old 3DR thread regarding HRP textures, the old 3DR forums thread regarding new HRP models, and the old 3DR forums thread regarding HRP revisions.

User is offline   alandog 

hello! first post :rolleyes:
night, we should add the latest content post hrp 4 before the other forum will be colsed down...

User is offline   Flacken.WS 

Flacken here! Well, I go post my lastest textures made in 3DR forum.
Imagebanana list:

4177:
Posted Image

4202 ( marked pipes lastest changes ):
Posted Image

And 4207:
Posted Image

...Second post...!

This post has been edited by Flacken.WS: 07 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

User is offline   Puritan 

Tile 4202 is looking good. Thumbs up.

User is offline   vakooja 

Here's the Duke skin I already posted back at the old forums, but it was automatically compressed hence the lost sharpness. No damage due to editing there.

Posted Image

As NightFright said, there are other models that could use a reskin, the only thing I had a problem with was the face, and not much else changed. But it's pretty important that he looks like himself right? Have a look and judge for yourself:

Posted Image

Anyway, I did already start texturing the babes, but I saw there's possibly going to be a completely new model and that usually means it's best to start texturing from scratch. I have some parts done that stuck out as cartoony and didn't match the general quality of the textures. Here's a set of faces I made:

Posted Image

User is offline   alandog 

Not bad the girl texture... I'm sure your style could be a good alternative, since more than one complained about the actual cartoonish look...

• The Truth is in here

I have made the missing pals for Duke MP skins (pal10-16/21/23) based on this modification and will include it with next HRP Update.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

TerminX said palmaps were removed due to poor coding. :rolleyes:

That's what .psd files are for anyway.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHendricks266, on May 8 2009, 07:37 PM, said:

TerminX said palmaps were removed due to poor coding. :rolleyes:

Yeah, pretty much. Hunter_rus gave us a lot of cool features but palmaps weren't one of them. I'd been wanting to remove them for a while, but I'd been afraid of what would break afterwards due to some of the changes made with them. Ended up just biting the bullet recently and they were gone in 5 minutes. Oh well. ;)

• The Truth is in here

If it is ever decided to introduce palmaps after all, I will be the last one to disagree. Dozens of megabytes in current HRP could be avoided if we had them since all the non-pal0 textures/skins could be deleted, then. Anyway, as long as this doesn't change, we'll just do it the old-fashioned way.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

The issue was that the palmaps weren't perfect. There were a lot of things that didn't look right etc.

User is offline   Flacken.WS 

I finish the 400 texture in 128x768 size. ( It needs changes )

Posted Image

For now, I can't use my eduke32 ( and others games ) because my PC has a problem ( maybe Video card ). ;)

The original tile is attached.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 0400.original.PNG

This post has been edited by Flacken.WS: 09 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

For some cases, perhaps the palette-affected part could be split into another texture to save space. For example, the trooper's uniform would be in a separate file from the other parts, so that only it would be duplicated. Of course, that would only work for models--I get the impression that it's really the map textures that are the space-hogs?

User is offline   Rellik 

Pal maps should work in theory, think glow maps with out the glow...

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostDr. Kylstein, on May 9 2009, 09:07 PM, said:

For some cases, perhaps the palette-affected part could be split into another texture to save space. For example, the trooper's uniform would be in a separate file from the other parts, so that only it would be duplicated. Of course, that would only work for models--I get the impression that it's really the map textures that are the space-hogs?

Yea, thats a good idea actually. Should probably be done to all models from now on. And yea the level textures are the big problem.

Hey all, nice to see that this project found a new home. ;)

I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and contribute when i can.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I didn't know Palmaps had been removed. Saved me some time!!!! Just imagine how much space would be saved on the HRP, just on the duke and assault trooper skins.

It would be nice to see a few things like that.

Maybe we could use DDS textures?

Also, can we tweak glow maps into true illumination maps?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 10 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

• The Truth is in here

I see TX made it so that this thread unites former texturing/modelling/revisions threads. This is generally a good idea. Never understood the need of separate threads, and people often posted into the wrong ones, anyway.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostNightFright, on May 10 2009, 12:29 PM, said:

I see TX made it so that this thread unites former texturing/modelling/revisions threads. This is generally a good idea. Never understood the need of separate threads, and people often posted into the wrong ones, anyway.

When hightile support was first added, a thread about the feature eventually became a highres texture replacement thread. Likewise, when model support was added, a thread about that feature eventually turned into a separate thread about HRP models. Similarly, at some point someone decided to remake some existing HRP assets, so all of a sudden now there's a HRP updated textures/models thread.

Seems pretty unnecessary now that most of the HRP work has slowed down. I'm sure it'll pick up again once Polymer has been officially released but it's still a good idea to keep all of this in one place. Separating textures and models like that essentially distinguishes between replacing a sprite and replacing a texture, which is a distinction that doesn't need to be made.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

The thread used for textures was in fact started as a discussion thread about the possibility to support models. Then as the high tile support showed up a few people (including me) posted some textures in the thread. And from there on it was the texture thread. This is why the title of that thread made no sense.

User is offline   Alexraptor 

Since this is the HRP art assets thread i thought it best to post it here.

Theres a texture in the HRP that has to be replaced on the Lunar Apocalypse level Overlord.
Reason? It is a texture taken from Activisions "Star Trek: Elite Force II", which obviously is copyright protected.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: DukeHRPbadtexture.jpg

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I noticed today that the menu nuke icon has its tiles in the wrong order. The renamed files are attached.

// Spinning Nuke Icon - sprite (2813)
texture 2813 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2813.png" } }
texture 2814 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2814.png" } }
texture 2815 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2815.png" } }
texture 2816 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2816.png" } }
texture 2817 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2817.png" } }
texture 2818 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2818.png" } }
texture 2819 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2819.png" } }
texture 2820 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2813.png" } }

// Spinning Nuke Icon - model (3190)
model "highres/screen/menu/3190_spinnuke.md2" {
   scale 0.3 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/screen/menu/3190_spinnuke.png" }
   anim { frame0 "spin00" frame1 "spin19" fps 17 flags 0 }
   frame { frame "spin00" tile0 2813 tile1 2819 }
   frame { frame "spin00" tile0 3190 tile1 3196 }
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/screen/menu/3190_spinnuke_yellow.png" }
   frame { frame "spin00" tile0 3200 tile1 3206 }
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/screen/menu/3190_spinnuke_green.png" }
   frame { frame "spin00" tile0 3210 tile1 3216 }
}
texture 3190 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2813.png" } }
texture 3191 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2814.png" } }
texture 3192 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2815.png" } }
texture 3193 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2816.png" } }
texture 3194 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2817.png" } }
texture 3195 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2818.png" } }
texture 3196 { pal 0 { file "highres/screen/menu/2819.png" } }

Attached File(s)

• The Truth is in here

Interesting no one has ever noticed this before. It may be a detail whether the icon is spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise, but anyway.

BTW, it'd be nice if you marked the changed code lines somehow in future postings. This way it will be much easier to modify existing defs.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Will this thread also serve for the normals and specular textures or should a new one be created for that?

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

I think a new thread for Polymer content would be good as there will no doubt be a lot of experimentation, asking for help and discussing how to achieve certain results etc.

View PostParkar, on May 15 2009, 01:21 AM, said:

I think a new thread for Polymer content would be good as there will no doubt be a lot of experimentation, asking for help and discussing how to achieve certain results etc.

Ive already converted a couple of the textures (that the easy part) the bitch part about it is getting them to look correct in game.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Converted? What do you mean, converted?

View PostPlagman, on May 15 2009, 02:05 AM, said:

Converted? What do you mean, converted?

Creating the normal and specular from the original image, why? Is that bad practice?

User is offline   Alexraptor 

Well my experience with normals isnt that great, but as i recall the best results are derived from creating normals from scratch rather than just "converting" existing textures.
In commercial products you will often find the normal maps are very "precise".

This post has been edited by Alexraptor: 14 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

Not really but it won't give you as good results as doing it properly. Especially if it the software you use just treats the original texture as a bump map which is what most do.

It can give good enough results in some cases with a bit of editing and/or the right software. I have used it on a bunch of textures in the HRP with good to awsome results.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options