Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 28 July 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I want it for drawing repeat patterns, which I eventually used for other projects like this:
Posted Image

Ah, now that is a valid reason. Sorry about the confusion, the messed up pistol sprite threw me off. This would require engine code. IIRC, sprites are specifically coded to avoid the circular blending behavior.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Rotatesprite already has a bit to set repeating, IIRC.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Which one? ;)

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Just gonna leave this here.

http://www.altdevblo...-native-client/
https://developers.g.../native-client/

User is offline   Fox 

I got an issue with a non-functioning SE in Eduke32. For some reason, the blue access card elevator in Spaceport map extracted from the Nintendo 64 ROM does not work, and it won't "teleport" you to the other point.

The map works fine with DOS version of Duke 3D. And if you copy the sectors on a new map it works just fine, meaning it has something to do with a superfluous component of the sector / wall structure (such as firstwall for example).

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 04 August 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

I got an issue with a non-functioning SE in Eduke32. For some reason, the blue access card elevator in Spaceport map extracted from the Nintendo 64 ROM does not work, and it won't "teleport" you to the other point.

The map works fine with DOS version of Duke 3D. And if you copy the sectors on a new map it works just fine, meaning it has something to do with a superfluous component of the sector / wall structure (such as firstwall for example).

This is one of those wacky cases where the behavior depends on the particular order of sprite indices (the most famous example probably being the order in which the cameras are cycled each time you "use" a viewscreen). Here's what happens: the warping elevator SE in sector 3 needs to determine when it can teleport the player and sprites contained in it to its matching sector. This is the case when no "hole" is visible from it any more. But the fake ceiling door, sector 178, is immediately adjacent to it! If its spawn-time code executes before the warp-elevator's one, the "door" will be closed and an engine function searching for the "next z step" fails. This is exactly what happens with the extracted map and EDuke32. Now, when you highlight the whole map from Mapster32 and copy it to a new one, currently the sprite index order is changed in general, and with this quasi-duplicated map, the SE17 runs first.[*] So why does it work with the DOS or N64 version? I don't know for sure, but the two most natural possibilities are

• The order in which the two SEs run is reversed because of different order in which the code is run between EDuke32 and DOS/N64. I haven't compared the original DOS source with ours, but I'm leaning more to assume that they're functionally identical in this respect.
  • That it works in DOS/N64 is coincidence. Currently, I have made EDuke32 terminate the the extracted level since, as noted above, the "find next z step" function fails, and moreover the resulting (invalid) sector index -1 was used to access the sector array, which is undefined behavior.

[*]Side note: I screwed up with copy-pasting. Before r2965, some sector and wall members which are used for TROR functionality would get reset, regardless of whether the source or destination map had any TROR. Now, the bug still persists if the portion to be duplicated contains TROR, but I think its fix has to wait until the new map format.

User is offline   Fox 

Am I the only one who have a problem with hard-coded polymer lights in Eduke32? The developers are against using new art, but they are okay with these lights? :P

I know you can remove them through CON with some effort. But I believe they should come in a CON patch with HRP or something. ;)

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

• Weaponized Autism

It's not too hard for modders to account for it. I would have to say that it's better to include hardcoded lights because they are not really the addition of any other resources. SW's palswaps are stored in the source code. Plus, you would not have noobs whining why the Polymer checkbox only serves to make the game slower. On the other hand, it wouldn't cause the misinformed masses to think EDuke32=HRP and edit the Duke 3D Wikipedia article to say that xDuke and hDuke keep the original look of the game while EDuke32's updated graphics using OpenGL have high performance requirements that do not work on many computers.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks266, on 21 September 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

I would have to say that it's better to include hardcoded lights because they are not really the addition of any other resources. SW's palswaps are stored in the source code.

They are. What are these RGB values based on? Who says that the Expander must emit orange light, and not red? Why the light of some explosions expand with the animation and others don't?

User is offline   necroslut 

The hardcoded lights should at the very least come with an option to switch them off. They're just way too big and as they shine through walls they give away secrets (the old "switch in the wall" trick), and fuck up countless of old of mods where tiles has been changed into something else, such as a green-glowing M16 or a switch without diods shining green/red.
I too find it a bit odd that while other features are rejected because it would harm compability, this thing seems to be fine with everyone.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 22 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Fox 

I nocited that some actors run EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES in multiple instances (to make shadows, for example). If it was possible to control such feature, we could create effects such as mirrors in the floor, etc.

• Weaponized Autism

What do you mean by control?

User is offline   Fox 

I don't know exactly how it could be done. Perhaps setting RETURN to 1 would force it to draw the sprite a second time?

• Weaponized Autism

The issue with that would be that it would be easy to make an infinite recursion.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostHendricks266, on 29 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

The issue with that would be that it would be easy to make an infinite recursion.

The only way I could think of would be to add a new member that counts down if non-zero. Said member being the number of draws. ANIMATESPRITES would then let you check the value of this member to determine what you do with the extra draw (cancel it, alter it, etc).

It's really not a perfect solution however. And it definitely wouldn't really be useful in creating the effect you want (a mirror floor). The effect you want would be the ability to flip showviewunbiased (player's current view with y inverted) and then display it using DISPLAYROOMS and making the floor transparent. Currently not possible afaik however.

Really it's the kind of thing that should be done in the engine though.

User is offline   Fox 

Yeah, I guess if you could mirror horizontally or vertically (or even rotate) showview it would be possible to do any form of reflection.

Edit: I got a particular conflict... now we can change the current menu being displayed, so I can bypass the episode select screen. Buuut it became impossible to select a User Map. Would it be too much to ask to move the User Map option to the main menu?

This post has been edited by Fox: 29 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 29 September 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Edit: I got a particular conflict... now we can change the current menu being displayed, so I can bypass the episode select screen.

Wait, how did you do that?

User is offline   Fox 

Primarily using this:
ifvare current_menu 100
  cmenu 110

This post has been edited by Fox: 29 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Where does that code go?

User is offline   Fox 

I think it was in EVENT_DISPLAYMENU?

This post has been edited by Fox: 13 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

;)

I spent over an hour modifying the source code to achieve the same thing.

Probably still will as I want to force E4L1 but that can likely be done from CON, but I do wonder if anything else can be manipulated in this fashion...

Edit: Incidentally, if you really want the user-map thing, could you not, say, get .bits in event_processinput and then in displaymenu ifvarand a key (U, for example) to cmenu 102 so that pressing this key whilst in the menu brings up the User Map menu?

This post has been edited by High Treason: 30 September 2012 - 04:10 AM

• Weaponized Autism

That's not how bits works. The input structure is currently limited to game functions, not raw input. I have been thinking of exposing raw input to CON because you need it to properly replicate EVENT_DISPLAYCROSSHAIR on the Wii from CON.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

You could always access the usermap menu from the console by setting a global var which then triggers the menu to display.

• Weaponized Autism

The console has a "cmenu" command too.

Where might a player find the newest Eduke 32? ;)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Top of the list on this page: http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

User is offline   fgsfds 

What's the point of this messages?

warning: case mismatch: passed "duke3d.def", real "duke3d"
warning: case mismatch: passed "duke3d_hrp.def", real "duke3d_hrp"
warning: case mismatch: passed "music.def", real "music"

It's about 3000 lines while you launch duke with hrp and it drastically increases loading time.
IIRC it was added recently.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postfgsfds, on 13 October 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

What's the point of this messages?

It's about 3000 lines while you launch duke with hrp and it drastically increases loading time.
IIRC it was added recently.
Attach your full log as usual, and the directory listing of your autoload folder.

User is offline   fgsfds 

I use hrp downloaded from svn instead of autoload, and launch game with eduke32 -j"HRP/polymer_hrp"

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 13 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

For the first time it appeared in build 2693 http://dukeworld.duk.../20120525-2693/

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options