Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

That part of it has worked for a couple of years.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I guess that part must of flew under the Radar :P

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

How does that work? Won't it mess with the number of players which is used for several functions? Including the ifmultiplayer command?

This post has been edited by Fox: 31 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

When it's done, CON code is only going to run on the server anyway (except for local display events and stuff like that). Mods will really need to be specifically designed for the new system (or heavily adapted, at least).

User is offline   Jblade 

Hmm, well I assume it's probably about the same workload as it was getting multiplayer to work on the older system as well (or at least fixing it so it doesn't sync out) I know you're really busy but could you tell us a little guideline or too so I can check over my code before it's ready? Or is it best to wait till it's done and then just do trial and error.

When I was testing it with my Red Alert MP mod I am working on the only issues I had was with the local display events, but I assume this was due to poor coding on my part.

A really old video, I have no idea if these bugs even exist still.

User is offline   Fox 

It probably was, have you used displayrandvar?

User is offline   Gambini 

I have a question that doesn´t deserve its own thread I think. So sorry if this isn´t the proper topic to ask.

How should I go around to pack voxels inside a grp file? I know they have to be defined in the def file. But never saw def files inside a grp. Is this possible? I´d like to avoid faggy things like zips and autoload folders. I want one manly, tough and straight grp.

edit: Maybe voxels inside the grp and the def file outside? Does that work?

This post has been edited by Gambini: 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You can store the KVX files inside the GRP, no sweat. Adding defs to the GRP is a different matter. If anyone has anything installed like the HRP, you are in for some trouble. Loading stuff in EDuke32 will be a Catch-22 until I get off my ass.

What you can do is put your definitions inside duke3d.def inside your GRP file. If there are no copies of duke3d.def elsewhere in the EDuke32 installation, with luck it should pick up and use the one inside the GRP file.

User is offline   Gambini 

Thanks. The plan is to use a clean folder, because AFAIK anything in the eduke folder will override the grp´s content.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You are one hundred percent correct.

View PostGambini, on 01 February 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Thanks. The plan is to use a clean folder, because AFAIK anything in the eduke folder will override the grp´s content.

AFAYSK some people will always install mods to a duke folder that contain con files and other various files screwing up your intentions even if you warn them well before to install to a clean install. :P

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Just tell them it's a stand alone game and NOT a mod.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostCody, on 03 February 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

AFAYSK some people will always install mods to a duke folder that contain con files and other various files screwing up your intentions even if you warn them well before to install to a clean install. B)

They are going to copy the content of the CON files and paste it at the end of already existing CONs. :P

This post has been edited by Fox: 03 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

User is offline   Diaz 

Is there a r_usenewshading value that looks exactly the same as setting its value to 1 before changing that cvar's behavior?

I could swear my maps aren't looking as they did before. Most of my subtle ambient shading work is gone; some areas that should be in the dark are now quite visible. No matter what I set r_usenewshading to, it doesn't look as it did before.

I hope I'm not gonna have to re-do the shading in all the maps I had made so far because I'd rather trash them :P

This post has been edited by Diaz: 05 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Hopefully, yes; if there isn't, we can introduce a compatibility setting if needed. Since there have been many revisions, can you clarify which version you were using and combination of renderer / usenewshading / ambientlight or any other relevant settings?

User is offline   Diaz 

I've been using the Polymer renderer, and this probably happens since the introduction of the new shading code in r3303. My values are r_shadescale 1.3 and r_ ambientlight 1.25.

No matter if I set r_usenewshading to 1, 2, or 3, things apear lighter than they should, and it gets worse the darker the area is. I can't seem to get it to look 100% like before by tweaking the values in r_usenewshading, r_shadescale and r_ambientlight.

This post has been edited by Diaz: 05 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDiaz, on 05 February 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

Is there a r_usenewshading value that looks exactly the same as setting its value to 1 before changing that cvar's behavior?

Yes, it is "1". The cvar's behavior wasn't changed, but a new mode "2" was introduced and made the default. Later, the default for r_shadescale was changed from 1.3 to 1.0. So, setting r_shadescale to 1.3 and r_usenewshading to 1 should give the pre-classic-fog-for-OpenGL look.

View PostDiaz, on 05 February 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

I've been using the Polymer renderer, and this probably happens since the introduction of the new shading code in r3303. My values are r_shadescale 1.3 and r_ ambientlight 1.25.

No matter if I set r_usenewshading to 1, 2, or 3, things apear lighter than they should, and it gets worse the darker the area is. I can't seem to get it to look 100% like before by tweaking the values in r_usenewshading, r_shadescale and r_ambientlight.

I can't reproduce this under Mapster32: the "r_usenewshading.map" test map looks the same throughout r3300..r3303 and SVN HEAD. By the way, r_ambientlight is a game-side variable and affects the global visibility, like DEFAULTVISIBILITY from CON (only reciprocally instead of multiplicatively). Maybe you were running mode 0 before? C programmers tend to start counting at zero, so the modes are
0 - old Polymost GL_EXP2 fog,
1 - the GL_EXP2 mode with tweaked constants that I first thought was an improvement, but was later shown to be deficient too and
2 - the new GL_LINEAR mode emulating the classic look.

User is offline   Diaz 

Alright, that worked. The problem was that I didn't notice changing r_shadescale doesn't take full effect until the map is restarted. Changing it to 1.3 from the start did the trick :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You can alternatively use r_restartvid to quickly and easy restart the renderer without losing anything.

User is offline   Diaz 

Yup, right. I just didn't notice r_shadescale was one of those commands requiring a map/vid restart; thought it had immediate effect, as the lighting in some objects seemed to change instantly when tweaking its value :P

User is offline   Fox 

Is it even remotely possible to make a model texture "panning"?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostDiaz, on 05 February 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Yup, right. I just didn't notice r_shadescale was one of those commands requiring a map/vid restart; thought it had immediate effect, as the lighting in some objects seemed to change instantly when tweaking its value :P

Hmmm, it seems to work fine here without a map/vid restart.

User is offline   Diaz 

With the Polymer renderer?

No big deal anyways, I just set the default to 1.3 and all is well :P

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View PostTerminX, on 31 January 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

When it's done, CON code is only going to run on the server anyway (except for local display events and stuff like that). Mods will really need to be specifically designed for the new system (or heavily adapted, at least).

Have another tab in the startup window that asks for a server to connect to. When connected, a separate folder is set up where the client downloads the modified resources from the server.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Mikko_Sandt, on 06 February 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Hmmm, it seems to work fine here without a map/vid restart.

For me it does need the restartvid. That was using polymer though. I think sprites seems to change instantly, however it's the map geometry that requires the restartvid.

Alan, on 06 February 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

Have another tab in the startup window that asks for a server to connect to. When connected, a separate folder is set up where the client downloads the modified resources from the server.

I don't think you'll really have to download anything. At least with map files, when the host starts up a map, you can join it even though you don't have the map yourself. Although I'm not really sure about TCs, but then again you should really have the TC anyway before you start an online game for the actual TC.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

You have to cache the files anyway. If you join a server with a map you don't have, you have to download the map to your cache.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Fox, on 06 February 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

Is it even remotely possible to make a model texture "panning"?

Not really, no. It would need to be an engine feature and would require the model to be UV-mapped a very specific way to work. What do you want to do?

User is offline   Fox 

I want to make the explosions model from Duke 64 exactly like they are in the ROM. Right now I am making them spin, but on reality it's just the texture that moves.

It would solve the problem if the spriteext x or y panning worked for the model textures. And it doesn't need to be a detailed effect, simply a "flat panning" of the texture.

I could reproduce the effect by having a set of multiple texture with a 1-px offset from each other, but that would be a ugly hack and would suck.

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Phew, I am facing some trouble with events called multiple times. First of all, the events are run is reverse order, for example:

onevent EVENT_SPAWN
  ifactor PIGCOP
    spritepal 21
endevent

onevent EVENT_SPAWN
  ifactor PIGCOP
  ifspawnedby RECON
    spritepal 22
endevent

The intended effect would be that Pig Cops would have palette 21, except those spawned by a Recon Patrol Vehicle which would have palette 22. However this is not what actually happens, instead all Pig Cops would have palette 21 because the first onevent is called later.

The second problem is with the break command, which run across all the multiple onevent. Example below:

onevent EVENT_SPAWN
    ifactor PIGCOP
      spritepal 21
  endevent

onevent EVENT_SPAWN
    ifactor PIGCOP
      break
  endevent

This sample code is meant to make all Pig Cops have palette 21, but nothing will happen because of the break command in the second onevent. And I don't think this should happen, since when used in a state the break command only affects the code of the state.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options