Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Hard episode - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Hard episode  "By the Duke4 community"

User is offline   OakTree11 

I definitely enjoyed that map. The only way I was able to make it through was by going through it slowly. Every time creatures spawned I backed up and killed them before going into another room.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNukemRoses, on 13 July 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

i enjoyed playing that map. i kinda felt like i was playing Duke Nukem forever on some parts of it. me and a friend of mine did that map Co-Op style on Megaton

I think Eat the Rich was the map that was definately the closest to the DNF style.

View PostNancsi, on 13 July 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

I think Eat the Rich was the map that was definately the closest to the DNF style.

good point

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHigh Treason, on 09 July 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

To anyone that has solved the puzzle
Spoiler
That's how I solved Area51/E4L11 back then because I didn't get the hint. :P

View PostMetHy, on 12 July 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

I really dislike decorative lightswitches though, I say if there is no functioning light, don't put a switch, because it doesn't really add much to 'decoration' of the room, and it's only going to remind players that there is no functioning lights (and it would seem lazy to players who don't know how they are made).
In my 3 maps iirc there is only one switch, in the laundry room of the lobby. That room has broken flickering lights, so if you use the lightswitch, you get electrified (which at least explains why it doesn't work), but I don't believe many players are going to notice that.
I noticed. Ouch. I agree, every non-working switch is a little disappointment to guys like me who try out everything possible.

Btw., playing through this episode reminded me more of J.G. Ballard's High Rise than the Die Hard movie.

User is offline   Steambull 

Heh, that's just why I usually have only one or two light switches in a map :P

Overall the episode turned out very nice!
Construction Destruction is probably my fav when it comes to look and detailing - I just love all that cool shit around the map.
Legal Joint is awesome because it has so many nice little ideas to go along with its smart gameplay and well planned design/layout. As a result LJ feels the most responsive out of the bunch.

Once again thanks to MetHy for the initiative and dealing with so much pressure + a lot of people.

This post has been edited by Steambull: 21 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm sure we're all glad you guys enjoyed it!

The episode actually seems to be doing really well with almost 800 downloads on MODDB already in less than 6 weeks, with between 5 and 15 downloads per day these days. Feedback seems very positive, too.
Thanks to anyone who's helped make the episode known through reviews, videos and else !

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

How come all the videos in this playlist for the episode except those that are on megaton have exactly 6 dislikes (and the megaton videos have 0)? If I didn't know better I'd say the same 6 people indiscriminately down-voted all the videos except those featured on megaton. I'm just trying to fathom the reasoning behind this.

https://www.youtube....C7b1_oqdca3OQlK

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMicky C, on 02 August 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

How come all the videos in this playlist for the episode except those that are on megaton have exactly 6 dislikes (and the megaton videos have 0)? If I didn't know better I'd say the same 6 people indiscriminately down-voted all the videos except those featured on megaton. I'm just trying to fathom the reasoning behind this.

https://www.youtube....C7b1_oqdca3OQlK

Interesting, I wouldn't give it too much thought, it's probably the same guy with 6 different g-mail accounts. It was really nice of TheRumbleRose guy to do that for the entire episode as well as Duke64. Their videos did help drive a lot of interest to the episode and they did so without being asked to. So that was pretty awesome of them its interesting to observe the different play styles and how people play and react under certain in game situations.

Also, I've been meaning to tell Methy that his final boss map was absolutely brilliant! I really enjoyed that final map it was the icing on the cake!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 02 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

Well, its a long weekend here in Canada and I can't think of a better way to spend my day off replaying this entire episode from start to finish!

View PostPaul B, on 02 August 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

Interesting, I wouldn't give it too much thought, it's probably the same guy with 6 different g-mail accounts. It was really nice of TheRumbleRose guy to do that for the entire episode as well as Duke64. Their videos did help drive a lot of interest to the episode and they did so without being asked to. So that was pretty awesome of them its interesting to observe the different play styles and how people play and react under certain in game situations.

Also, I've been meaning to tell Methy that his final boss map was absolutely brilliant! I really enjoyed that final map it was the icing on the cake!

lotta my friends think that to, about it being 1 guy with 6 different accounts. thing is. i don't know who keeps disliking my stuff. no matter what i do, my stuff gets thumbed down faster than the name on my channel. it's crazy. anyway, i hope my playthrough of the mod is liked. i know it's not the best there is. but i always try. i'm about done with the playthrough of the series. got the secret level, and the final level. i will say this about the mod. it's really awesome. a nice little Duke Nukem meets Die Hard like situation. lots of good map. and challenging ones to

EDIT: i just found out that 1 of my video playthroughs of the mod was stolen

the guy didn't ask, nor did i give him the ok to upload it to that channel. and judging by the looks of it. he's stolen other peoples videos as well

This post has been edited by NukemRoses: 06 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

Started my own playthrough. I wanted to do this on Day 1 but figured I didn't want people cheating or spoiling the episode for themselves. It can be found here; https://www.youtube....9XCm99Ynb2_1WSl
As this is on my Let's Play channel it does have commentary.

I wouldn't worry about the dislikes, I think everyone encounters a dislike troll at some point. Anyway, look on the bright side, YouTube determines popularity by total number of interactions, not what those interactions are; Dislikes actually boost your video's status.

Edit: That guy who stole your video. His channel is strange. The descriptions are generic stuff that has nothing to do with the video and they all seem to contain the words "Lights Out"... Perhaps it's a bot of some kind?

This post has been edited by High Treason: 06 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostHigh Treason, on 06 August 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

Started my own playthrough. I wanted to do this on Day 1 but figured I didn't want people cheating or spoiling the episode for themselves. It can be found here; https://www.youtube....9XCm99Ynb2_1WSl
As this is on my Let's Play channel it does have commentary.

I wouldn't worry about the dislikes, I think everyone encounters a dislike troll at some point. Anyway, look on the bright side, YouTube determines popularity by total number of interactions, not what those interactions are; Dislikes actually boost your video's status.

Edit: That guy who stole your video. His channel is strange. The descriptions are generic stuff that has nothing to do with the video and they all seem to contain the words "Lights Out"... Perhaps it's a bot of some kind?

yeah. seems that guy is a few cans short of a 6 pack

EDIT: well the video is removed thankfully. and i don't think it was a bot, but a troll sob who steals peoples videos and posted them as there own

This post has been edited by NukemRoses: 06 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Guest_TheGameZ_*

I want to be honest here rose doesn't deserve dislikes that hard, I know that some people would disagree with him on somethings, he has made really good videos on his channel
this one is my favorite one He Lost his mind doing that video which was very funny, Never heard him laugh so hard in my life
Hope to do another 1 like that in the future hopefully rose do more then lose his mind Lose his gut in the process

i have finally finished my playthrough of the Duke Hard mod
http://www.youtube.c...C7b1_oqdca3OQlK

wicked awesome mod. had a blast. the maps sure did kick my ass, even on the piece of cake difficulty. props to everyone involved

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I've been playing through this episode on Come Get Some. I'm quite impressed with the design and flow so far. There are some minor balancing issues, but that may be due to my own playstyle. However, I did find that on Eat The Rich, I ran out of ammo really quickly and found it difficult to finish the map since the difficulty of the encounters ramped up near the end (as Oasiz did, I simply tried to finish the level as quickly as possible without confronting the enemies). I guess I'm just not acclimated to using the shrinker properly.

Also, on the cinema level (I think that was the one), having the shrinker made the Battlelord fight trivial. But I'm one of those weirdos who plays without auto-aim. :(

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 10 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostNukemRoses, on 06 August 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

EDIT: well the video is removed thankfully. and i don't think it was a bot, but a troll sob who steals peoples videos and posted them as there own

Don't you have a few enemies?
You were having some spat with some guy when it came to the play through of Dukes Nightmare and I had to keep changing the video on the workshop page. (and again it doesn't work anymore)

This post has been edited by The Angry Kiwi: 10 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostComrade Major, on 10 August 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

But I'm one of those weirdos who plays without auto-aim. :(

The episode was designed mostly with autoaim in mind. While it won't be a problem for most of the maps, you're going to have a hell of a time on floor15 with autoaim turned off.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I don't use auto aim. I had no problems with fire fights in any of the maps.
I like to pick and choose my targets instead of spray and pray.
I've been playing that way for so long I can shoot and move simultaneously and still maintain effective accuracy.

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 10 August 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Don't you have a few enemies?
You were having some spat with some guy when it came to the play through of Dukes Nightmare and I had to keep changing the video on the workshop page. (and again it doesn't work anymore)

me and him have had back and fourths here and there. but it wasn't him. as for the map. i have a copy of the Co-Op on my channel

and we done a remake of it on a Co-Op channel we made

User is offline   MetHy 

By checking the "stats" on MODDB, I noticed the mod was linked on this Russian blog article :

http://igamerealla.r...m-die-hard.html

I used an automatic translator to read it. Again, the person seems to believe the episode is based on Die Hard... But apart from that the article seems pretty cool.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I finally had the time to play this and had a blast. Definitely great concept for a map pack, and then you even provide quite a bunch of maps at once. I thought it would be difficult to maintain diversity with the limited setting of the whole project (inside a skyscraper), but I can say you guys definitely pulled it off.

What made it challenging was the continuous hunt for ammo - I was blowing up the final enemies in the first map almost literally with the last pipebombs I had left. You have to watch your ammo, and keep rockets or Devastator ammo for the Battlelords or commanders. The only real problems I had with map 15, like so many others, and the final map which was actually quite hard since projectiles are basically flying towards you most of the time from pretty much any possible direction.

It's amazing that bigger map packs like this still get released - cheers to the adorable Duke3D mapping community!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 August 2014 - 05:33 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Thanks for the feedback!

Anyway - the episode has reached 1000 downloads on MODDB in just 2 months and a week ! Congratulations anyone involved and thank you to everyone for playing!

In comparison I don't think Metropolitan Mayhem reached a thousand downloads before at least a year.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 September 2014 - 02:33 AM

Just tried this episode; overall, of course it was a lot of fun, though some levels seemed too tough and frustrating, some have mediocre design, but what really bugs me is that each map substantially differs in style from the rest of the episode turning it into a set of maps thrown together which are just based on the same template. Still I think that the fault of the project rules is that the map is always restricted to a single floor, so there's almost no vertical movement, what is a very important gameplay constituent. Maps without going up and down the stairs tend to be bland and boring. Maybe two smaller floors per map would be a better choice. Despite this, I see that the mappers have done the great job and the result looks pretty solid. "Construction Destruction" and the rooftop are my personal favorites =)

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 07 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

I can understand your z-level complaint, but forcing all mappers to adhere to the same style style would of made the project fairly boring to work on for the more skilled mappers and too difficult to work on for the newer mappers.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah when you think about it, most other episodes out there stick to a similar theme/style for their levels. The variety is what makes this one so unique.

User is offline   MetHy 

NightFright would like to include the episode to the .grp compilation he's putting together.

The only difference is that it would come in the shape of a .grp.

I don't see a problem with it, but if someone has a good reason to be against the idea, do speak.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I may add that technically, there would be two files: A groupfile and remains of dukehard.dat with everything not compliant to grp specifications (basically everything in subdirs). This is made due to a restriction coming with the grpinfo feature. Both files are required, and it's solved via defs (loadgrp).

I emphasize that besides splitting it into two files, the maps and anything else in that pack remain absolutely untouched and work the exact same way as in the single-file release.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I'm on Abstratech (spelling) and so far Construction Destruction has been the standout. A lot of clever bits to it and good detailing; there's parts I thought looked rather bland and non-descript that ended up getting used in one way or another. Kind of weird that it would seemingly be the 3rd floor but its clearly high up based on the other buildings. Also helped the map was rather quick and I beat it without dying.
Coming after Executive also helped; while that was a nicely detailed map, it was a real drag to play for me and was a bit too long. Constant deaths and then that sliding red translucent death wall room was annoying, and then you have to go through it again. Luckily, if you use steroids, you can just run straight them without worry.

Enjoying it so far though!

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options