• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Realms Shutting Down

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Group hug, guys. :rolleyes:

User is offline   ThePinkus 

Will they release whatever it was they had finished?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostYatta, on May 6 2009, 11:13 PM, said:

Group hug, guys. :rolleyes:

/group hug

/drops hand down to Yatta's butt.

User is offline   ryche 

I'm still crying in the inside. Here's hoping tomorrow brings good news or something.

They mustve showed something really bad to them back when they visitted 2K

View PostThePinkus, on May 6 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

Will they release whatever it was they had finished?

I assume they will hold onto it as tightly as possible until either they can recapitalize and resume business, or if that is impossible/impractical, sell it for as much as they can get for it.

Giving out betas of games that already shipped, source code for obsolete games, etc, is one thing. I doubt they would give away IP for a current game, especially if it can be held until better days come, or sold to recapture at least some value from it.

View PostThePinkus, on May 6 2009, 11:20 PM, said:

They mustve showed something really bad to them back when they visitted 2K

2K was never funding development. If they were, they would've forced 3DR to ship way back in the "TTWO needs to STFU" days.

Waiting for more than half my life for a game, only to have the company go down and take the game with them would be a serious lack of closure if I were to not even see a bit of the game myself.

I can't see anyone thats not 3DRealms making the same game.

One thing is for sure. The wait for Duke Nukem Forever is over. And I didn't think I'd hate to say that.

I'd rather be waiting for it again.

This post has been edited by ThePinkus: 06 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

I'm in a state of complete shock...

How can this be happening to one the the best game developers/publishers of all time?

There must still be some hope for DNF... working on it in their spare time, selling it as-is, etc. ... I'd even be happy playing what they had back in 2001...

User is offline   ryche 

I can't believe Joe now has to worry about his new baby that's coming....That sort of stress IS NOT GOOD on the baby while in womb. :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware of that. Hopefully things work out OK for them, and for everyone else that had to hit the bricks.

User is offline   Malgon 

When do you guys reckon George will make an announcement about what's going on?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSinisterambo, on May 7 2009, 07:04 AM, said:

What are we to do? I need a Duke4.net group hug, tell me it will be alright, please somebody!

*HUGS*

Whaaaa...... ^_\\''''''''''''

Now, where was I? Ah, cutting wrists...

User is offline   Montykoro 

C mon....

We're catering BBQ tomorrow for the team at work. I'm hungry now just thinking about it. Now I have to sleep, thinking about it. Crap.

10:59 PM Apr 16th from web

And now closing? I can't belive...

User is offline   ryche 

Well...I better unpack then.

User is offline   Kathy 

I can't see anyone thats not 3DRealms making the same game.

Me neither. Imagine some company was making DNF and then would have actually released it? Meh!

How can this be happening to one the the best game developers/publishers of all time?

Yeah! The best developers since 1997!

User is offline   Jokke_r 

i still think there's a chance this is all big bluff. Untill i hear it from George i'm not calling it quits yet.

User is offline   Nessus 

This sucks.

Black Wednesday.

They can't just throw the game away? Surely some employee's will band together and finish it or it will be thrown together and released in some form? It represents too much work to sit on a hard drive. Or was it never near done? Am I still in denial like it seems I have been all this time? Ignoring all of the signs that things were not well? Not even finding it odd that we had heard but a peep from anyone in years? Ignoring that the last game they released ran on a Pentium 60, that 10 generations of video cards had gone by with no game? But I had faith. I think I still do but I don't want to be a fool. And if we're all sick imagine George and Scott and the poor employee's who've put such chunks of their working lives into this project.

Something has to come out of this no? Only 71 tasks left. But maybe task 71 was - Design and create levels 4-12
But no there must be substantial game. I still don't accept I'll never play anything from this build. I probably should. . . But I don't.

User is offline   Kathy 

Anyway. I woke up today and saw this thread. And you know... I wasn't really sad. I was in a sarcastic mood about DNF since that wallpaper.

And I don't feel sorry for 3dRealms. At least for George. He had it coming.

View PostLotan, on May 6 2009, 09:30 PM, said:

Me neither. Imagine some company was making DNF and then would have actually released it? Meh!

Yeah, imagine a company releasing Duke Nukem: The Fifth Sequel in a Year

New features include: 2 new skins for multiplayer, a new map, a few new textures, and a different number on the cover's title.

Ofcourse, it would be the same cover system with regenerating health and copy pasted levels that will last 4-5 hours and has a huge focus on multiplayer but only supports it by forcing you to pay for extra content.

thats all folks....

anyone who doesn't think GB is incompetent is disillusioned. I feel sad... sad that I actually called this in the rant thread stating the "what if dn4 doesn't come out." It came true. I didn't want it to but lets be real a lot of people saw this coming. The true fans kept hope. But to no avail. GB is an idiot and I for one am angry.

User is offline   Malgon 

@ Jokke r - You are a trooper man, hanging out until the final word from George on the whole situation.

This post has been edited by malgon: 06 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Even after Joe said it was true.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight. :rolleyes:

No matter what happens, you guys will always have this site as a home.

User is offline   Kathy 

Heh, it is only the morning here. I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Yeah, I'm in bed now, TRYING to sleep... not working. It's like I've lost a friend, very suddenly and it saddens me, seriously. I just got through reading all the Apogee Legacy series last week too... sucks.

Really hoping that, if this is all it's cracked up to be, those guys find good places to go. I'll be following their work, for sure.

User is offline   Montykoro 

Stay tuned... need the "ultimate post" of GB...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=73pZrd3NDS4

I kinda hate these things, but I like what they did with the video breakage and slowmotion clips.

User is offline   Malgon 

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/46836/3D...loper-Shut-Down

Update: Scott Maclean and Andrew Baker, two 3D Realms level designers, have both modified their LinkedIn employment histories today to show that they are no longer in the employ of the Duke Nukem Forever developer. Additionally, numerous staffers from the studio have begun 'recommending' one another on the industry networking site.

Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

This all pisses me off..... Every day that George Doesn't speak up about this, a person will die.

Share this topic:

• 55 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options