• Pizza Lawyer

View PostReaperMan, on 15 September 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

WID

The acronym that killed 3D Realms.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostYatta, on 16 September 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

WID would've worked just fine had they used it properly. It was over-ambition, arrogance, incompetence and disgraceful management that killed 3D Realms.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDuke Rocks, on 17 September 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

It was over-ambition, arrogance, incompetence and disgraceful management that killed 3D Realms.

Now, now, you might be exaggerating just a tad.

George Broussard was not a "manager".

View PostYatta, on 16 September 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

You do realize on one of the early Duke 3D releases it said Duke 3D would come out "When it's Done"? So, technically it's not the term that killed them... but the endless quest for the best looking game, which ultimately ended in Gearbox fast tracking DNF.

User is offline   Martin 

I think we'll just have to wait and see. My faith wains in iD Software and ZeniMax. Particularly the latter. You would hope that, as Mr. Deviance quite-rightly points out.. they've already abolished one version of the game, which they apparently had put some significant work into. This shows that someone on the inside at Doom 4 gives a damn, and for me that's nothing but a positive sign. If they're willing to start again, it shows they're serious about doing the Doom franchise justice. They can't afford to fuck up Doom. It's one of the most iconic series in all of gaming history, right up there with Super Mario Bros.

Time will tell.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 26 July 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Ambient music is a legitimate genre. Also the repetitive use of samples is an unfortunate necessity of the cart size restriction. (The same reason we lost some of the monster and weapon animations on the 64) The PSX stuff is more varied. Also it's not really aimed at activating your killing mode. It's aimed at getting under your skin and unnerving you. Doom 64 was all about atmospheric horror. Posted Image

Duke 64 has missing weapon and monster animations? News to me. I thought we only lost the Assault Trooper's colour/rank variations (they can all just teleport now), and the weapons were redrawn or redesigned entirely? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I've just never heard this before. I love the N64 version. Holds a massive place in my heart. We certainly lost the music due to cartridge constrains, and one can only imagine that there would probably have been a few more levels with a bigger cart. Still, amazing (for the time) port of a true classic. Duke 64 was ahead of it's time! First time I ever saw local FPS coop campaign and multiplayer with bots! Didn't see that again until Perfect Dark!

I also think a lot of Doom 64. Was a great spin on the classic Doom formula, with an intense atmosphere. It's palpable. It's easily as foreboding as Doom 3, yet plays like classic Doom! The music is really great if you ask me, goes perfectly with Doom 64. I should think you are right about the cart size limit and the use of repetitive samples. However, this is also a technique used in horror soundtracks and whatnot. The composer really had his thinking-cap on with his work on Doom 64. He did a fine job of embodying a feel into the soundtrack, and keeping to a genre, all the while respecting the cart size limit. Bravo.

The N64 was such a great console for FPS gaming in the 90s.

This post has been edited by Martin: 08 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMartin, on 08 January 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

You would hope that, as Mr. Deviance quite-rightly points out.. they've already abolished one version of the game, which they apparently had put some significant work into. This shows that someone on the inside at Doom 4 gives a damn, and for me that's nothing but a positive sign. If they're willing to start again, it shows they're serious about doing the Doom franchise justice.
<snip>
Duke Nukem Forever had at least two versions abolished... because someone inside gave a damn... what exactly about I am not sure. To me, it isn't automatically a positive sign.

Also, 3D Realms was willing to start again and were serious about trying to the Duke Nukem franchise justice.

I know my perspective on how well these things worked out for Duke Nukem Forever/3D Realms.

I am hopeful... I want a modern game to somehow magically transport me back to "DooM" of the 90's. Catering to modern <everything> and nostalgia, is going to be tough though. Regardless, like with Duke Nukem Forever, I am going to buy it either way unless something dramatic happens before release.

MrBlackCat.

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 08 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Can't really argue with that.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Aren't we fairly confident that the reason DNF was restarted because it fell behind technologically? I remember reading that one of the versions of Doom that caused it to be restarted was because it was too COD-like, i.e the design wasn't right instead of the technology. So there's a sliver of hope.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMartin, on 08 January 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Duke 64 has missing weapon and monster animations? News to me. I thought we only lost the Assault Trooper's colour/rank variations (they can all just teleport now), and the weapons were redrawn or redesigned entirely? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I've just never heard this before. I love the N64 version. Holds a massive place in my heart. We certainly lost the music due to cartridge constrains, and one can only imagine that there would probably have been a few more levels with a bigger cart. Still, amazing (for the time) port of a true classic. Duke 64 was ahead of it's time! First time I ever saw local FPS coop campaign and multiplayer with bots! Didn't see that again until Perfect Dark!

Doom 64, sir. It's missing the reload animations for the shotguns, and several monsters were cut, though initially planned, there was just no way to fit all that extra animation in there.

User is offline   Lunick 

Doom (2014) :)

User is offline   K100 

View PostLunick, on 08 January 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

Doom (2014) :)

Hum, I don't know what you are talking about... :P

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMicky C, on 08 January 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

Aren't we fairly confident that the reason DNF was restarted because it fell behind technologically? I remember reading that one of the versions of Doom that caused it to be restarted was because it was too COD-like, i.e the design wasn't right instead of the technology. So there's a sliver of hope.
Yes... but I was mostly be facetious at the expense of Duke Nukem Forever, even though that has left fashion at this point. :)

MrFacetiousBlackCat

I loved Doom 64 when I played it, but I'm not sure I'd want to play through it today. Its atmosphere is too oppressive to me. It's not "scary", it just takes me a lot of energy to play it, when the classic Doom uses lighter colors and has a more upbeat soundtrack.

At least it had the Unmaker, which was a demonic kind of weapon way before the demon artifacts in the Doom 3 canon.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really like Doom, Doom 3, and Doom 64 all pretty equally.

I can play the entire first episode of Doom in half to a full hour just messing around with it. It is fun to get straight into it.
Doom 2 I don't like nearly as much but the one thing that keeps me returning is the super shotgun. Probably the best 'feeling' weapon in any game I've ever played.
Doom 3, especially with duct tape/BFG edition, can actually turn into a run n gun game. I usually just have a list of all the locker code combinations so the pace doesn't slow down. I'm actually in the middle of playing the Doom 3 series (currently playing Resurrection of Evil)
Doom 64 I just like some of the level design. As mentioned I don't like the atmosphere, but I like the way some of the levels were designed. Doom was run n gun with good coop design; doom 64 has good aesthetics to its design and some cool puzzles.

I still have high hopes for this new Doom. A game designed for 60 FPS with light parkour climbing, double jumps, and fast paced and visceral combat... I could use a AAA game designed like that. The New Order was awesome, just too short.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 11 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

User is offline   Evilman 

Doom 64 is fucking amazing, but you gotta take it the way is it intended to be: a horrific shooter, not an action-packed one like Doom I and II. I think it is as amazing as Doom I and TNT Evilution (not a great fan of Doom II / Sandy Petersen maps). The atmosphere is simply incredible in this one, and Aubrey Hodges soundtrack is terrific. Really an amazing experience overall.

Doom 3 was great when it came out, and it still is a good game, but it's not really Doom anymore.

Quake was the horrific shooter first, but it quickly turned on the action side with Quake II release, while Doom was going for the horror way with PSX versions / Doom 64. It doesn't surprised me to see the final result of Doom 3 from here. Quake IV was once again action packed, no surprises too. They inverted both series goal, in some sort of ways.

Doom 3 has no point being played with the duct tape / guns lights for me, first time i played it i used the original varilight mod, the action was fast-paced indeed but the tense wasn't really there. Without the duct tape, you always have to switch between your flashlight and weapons in order to progress, it's both bad and great, as using the flashlight, you can't react to any threat directly, you're on your guards to every sound and movements. The main goal of the game. Being scared. It only really works that way. Sure it is awkward, but i can't really think of any other way to do this without having to switch flashlight / guns. Half-Life flashlight-style would not work, waiting for your flashlight to reload would just kill the progression.

About the upcoming game, honestly, i don't really care, sadly. id Software is no more, John Carmack left the ship long ago, as John Romero, as others... we can't expect a game that will really feel the same way as the original classics. Especially from Bethesda / new id Software. Wolfenstein was apparently cool (but not that inventive, i didn't played it so i don't know, that's what i read), but Rage had some serious flaws. I don't expect it to be as good as Shadow Warrior remake for example, they just don't know how to recreate the old-school shooter feeling anymore for me. They apparently want to go for the action-packed style with this one, i would honestly prefer a horror game like Doom 3 as i'm pretty sure the action will not be that great. Maybe i'm wrong, we will see...

User is offline   Malgon 

Posted Image
What are the chances of seeing Doom at E3 this year?

Edit: Right under the Dolby Theatre part the card appears to say Revenant.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 17 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMalgon, on 17 April 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

100%. Bethesda is starting E3 a day early, and it's the first time they've ever had a stage presentation. This is a huge event for them. You'll see Dishonored 2 (Arkane Lyon), Doom reboot (formerly Doom 4), Fallout 4, Prey reboot (from Arkane Austin - AKA the System Shock spiritual sequel formerly called Prey 2) and probably some lame updates for Battlecry and ESO. They'll probably even announce a release date for the Doom beta they sold as a pre order for The New Order last year.

View PostMalgon, on 17 April 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

Edit: Right under the Dolby Theatre part the card appears to say Revenant.

Also the Cyberdemon is right behind the card that says "You".

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Wasn't it confirmed last year that we wouldn't be seeing the new DooM until this years Quakecon at the very earliest??

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 17 April 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

100%. Bethesda is starting E3 a day early, and it's the first time they've ever had a stage presentation. This is a huge event for them. You'll see Dishonored 2 (Arkane Lyon), Doom reboot (formerly Doom 4), Fallout 4, Prey reboot (from Arkane Austin - AKA the System Shock spiritual sequel formerly called Prey 2) and probably some lame updates for Battlecry and ESO. They'll probably even announce a release date for the Doom beta they sold as a pre order for The New Order last year.

I thought Arkane Austin working on a Prey 2/reboot was only a rumour? I may be getting confused with something else of course, but I thought that they denied that they were.

View PostMalgon, on 17 April 2015 - 08:55 PM, said:

I thought Arkane Austin working on a Prey 2/reboot was only a rumour? I may be getting confused with something else of course, but I thought that they denied that they were.

Following the milestone abuse and failed hostile acquisition of Human Head, Bethesda isn't exactly being forthcoming with Prey info. Arkane employees were obviously upset that their new IP, which was intended to be a retro-futurist vampire action-stealth game, had the Prey name slapped on it (because Bethesda owns the licence), so they leaked the emails to the press and the Prey fan site just weeks after the deal for the reboot. You'll see Prey: Subtitle in two months, along with some ludicrous quality story about Human Head's efforts. Now that Zenimax owns Arkane they get to call the shots and maximize the creative brain by splitting it into two separate studios. Marketing metrics drives big budget games now.

http://kotaku.com/le...-pre-1149092622
http://gamerant.com/...m-shock-sequel/
http://www.aliennoir...an-asks-arkane/

User is offline   Malgon 

Thanks man, reading through the links now.

Edit: An interesting read, as it appears that Human Head and Arkane Austin were both shortchanged by this deal with Prey. It's a shame that we'll never get to see the efforts of Human Head's version, and I wonder what Arkane Austin will actually cook up for this, considering it's not what they originally had planned. We'll have to wait and see what E3 brings then.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 17 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

There's no way Bethesda has a whole entire E3 conference just to show off a new Fallout, their multiplayer action game, and The Old Blood. They have to be showing off Doom, among other stuff like something Arkane is doing, and probably another Evil Within DLC

View PostMalgon, on 17 April 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

Edit: An interesting read, as it appears that Human Head and Arkane Austin were both shortchanged by this deal with Prey. It's a shame that we'll never get to see the efforts of Human Head's version, and I wonder what Arkane Austin will actually cook up for this, considering it's not what they originally had planned. We'll have to wait and see what E3 brings then.

Besides all the Human Head nastiness, Arkane being split into a two project studio is terrible news for fans of Dishonored. When Arkane shipped Dishonored, Lyon had around 55 people, Austin 25. Now they've both dramatically staffed up, and are building games on separate engines (id tech for Lyon, Crytek for Austin). I know superficially people will look at this and go, "so we're getting two games from Arkane? Sick," but this is never the case. Did it work for Ion Storm Austin? No, both Invisible War and Deadly Shadows suffered from two internal teams (but they at least were sharing resources and technology).

The easiest way to evaluate all of this is to simply see what Dishonored 2 is like. Will it still be as great as the first one once you look beyond the marketing and glitz?

I don't think they'll show The Old Blood, HulkNukem. It ships in two weeks.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 18 April 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Besides all the Human Head nastiness, Arkane being split into a two project studio is terrible news for fans of Dishonored. When Arkane shipped Dishonored, Lyon had around 55 people, Austin 25. Now they've both dramatically staffed up, and are building games on separate engines (id tech for Lyon, Crytek for Austin). I know superficially people will look at this and go, "so we're getting two games from Arkane? Sick," but this is never the case. Did it work for Ion Storm Austin? No, both Invisible War and Deadly Shadows suffered from two internal teams (but they at least were sharing resources and technology).

The easiest way to evaluate all of this is to simply see what Dishonored 2 is like. Will it still be as great as the first one once you look beyond the marketing and glitz?

I don't think they'll show The Old Blood, HulkNukem. It ships in two weeks.

They'll probably still show it off; its only a month after the release and they'll still want to drive a few more sales after the fact, even if its just a real quick trailer and "OLD BLOOD HAS SOLD OVER XXX UNITS!" comment. Still, they aren't going to do a whole presentation with just one or two games.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options