• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DOOM (New Game)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHulkNukem, on 20 July 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

I remember my first time playing Doom quite vividly. It was on the SNES, my two older brothers had chose it to rent, and seeing the red cartridge was already blowing my mind.
Then the game loads up, choose episode 1, easiest difficulty, and.... running around the room, up the stairs a few times, not knowing where to go. Still being excited as fuck as to what was happening (only played side scrollers up until this point) but not knowing what the hell was going on. Meh, oh well, start a new game on the other episodes, get killed on the first levels all the time.
The next day, when my brothers were at school and I got home early, I played it, started the first level, and HOLY SHIT IF YOU PRESS A BUTTON ON THAT WHITE WALL IT OPENS UP LIKE A DOOR
I remember running and telling my mom that I 'finally found out how to leave the room' as if it was actually a dilemma
And from that moment on, I promptly got my ass handed to me time and time again. But eventually, I was able to beat the first episode before we had to return the game.

Also, I thought Doom had mouse look originally? Obviously just for left and right. There's footage of Romero playing an early version of Doom and he's using his mouse to look and strafing with the keys. The game wasn't out yet and already he was using mouselook.

I don't have that much clear memories of the first time I played Doom. I should have been really young, 7 or something. I only had a Mac, but naturally Doom shareware was avaliable. What I remember the most from E1M1 is the mistery of how to get to that area outside the window, with a blue armor in a slime pool. Later I got the PSX Final Doom, which is not a very good port. It was only years later that I got the chance to play the full version of Doom and Doom II on PC, thanks to Shareaza.

But I remember the first times I played Duke quite well. Some neighbor kids brought Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown so I and my brother could play. In general the game had a terrible framerate, so we could only play on the easiest difficulty and saving all the time. We got past the first three episodes in the proper time, but the fourth one was really hard. I think we got stuck in Death Row because we couldn't find the passage behind the poster (we couldn't understand English), but it was no big deal. But Nightmare Zone was a pain in the ass because I couldn't find out how to progress on that level. The same happened with Gates Motel later.

I had a slightly chance to play the PC version on my cousin computer, and I was surprised it only had 3 episodes. Later on I got the chance to play Duke Nukem 64. It was a better port, it was interesting to see how different it was, and the multiplayer was really cool. Again, only 3 episodes. Then we finally got a PC on the house and the Atomic Edition. I remember I wasn't very impressed with the screenshot of the Alien Queen in the box art, but at least I was curious. Anyway, I managed to play a Usermap before finishing the fourth episode, and the first time I witnessed the boss was in _zoo.map, which I kinda of regret now.

I tried using the Build editor, but it was really hard without a tutorial (I couldn't understand English very well). For a long time I didn't knew how to make walls or change the palette of monsters, but I could change the tile and other stuff. Also there was an awfull glitch when changing from 2D to 3D mode (but it was fine if the map started in 3D mode).

I downloaded a few usermaps and some TCs. Probably the first ones I played were some ugly deathmatch levels, but it was at least cool to see some unofficial content. And playing the second episode from Last Reaction & Water Bases was legendary. At the time it was released, having a TC that looked like official was awesome. In fact I probably wasn't 100% sure if it wasn't official. Also I have found about the Dukenude patch which got me interested, but it took a while to actually find a working download link. lol

This post has been edited by Fox: 20 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Romero just said this 1 hour ago!
https://twitter.com/...086775981309952

Now I am really hyped, considering that Romero didn't like Doom3 and now he is all over this new one.

Also watch the video he linked to and tell me if those guys have been paid to react like that because judging their reactions, it's impossible to be true.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 20 July 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Now I am really hyped, considering that Romero didn't like Doom3 and now he is all over this new one.

Project DOOM: What was your first impression when you saw the DOOM III demo behind closed doors at E3 2002? How was it to see some of the guys from the 'old team' again? Are you still in contact with them, or is it only on these occasions that you meet? JR: 'I thought it looked really nice, technologically speaking. There was lots of blood and guts and dark shadows as the original DOOM contained. I see the id guys every so often since they're only a half-hour drive away and I'm still friends with some of them.'

[...]

Is there anything else about DOOM that comes to mind you would like share with our readers? Are you looking forward to playing DOOM III?

JR: 'I am definitely looking forward to playing DOOM III because I know it will be a stupendous game. Eventually, I'll be posting the development process behind DOOM on my personal website, rome.ro, so stay tuned.'

http://web.archive.o...om/romero3.html

Also watch the video he linked to and tell me if those guys have been paid to react like that because judging their reactions, it's impossible to be true.

Perhaps not paid, but a select group of American Doom/id/Quakecon fanpersons going "dude, you can rip demons in half with a chainsaw, it's badass!" doesn't tell me much.
Nice hat, though.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Well, the game could be mind-blowingly terrible and Romero would still be correct. :P

Though I will confess that, like many, I am far more optimistic than I was before the QuakeCon revealing. From the tidbits that have trickled out it appears that they have learned many important lessons from DooM 3. There are still quite a few other ways in which they can fuck it up but from what I can tell, the flashlight/survival horrory aspects of the prequel have been tossed poetically into a dark closet and the key(card) to that closet has been thrown away. :P

My first ray of hope with doom4 officially started when I heard the doom1 door sound in the teaser and I also noticed the door in that teaser looked exactly like a HD texture of the original doom door.
I think many started to hope it might be good when they heard that.

User is offline   Idiotska 

Posted Image

User is offline   Hool 

Talking about QuakeCon:

Ehhh Romero gets hyped over his own shadow these days. Why would he piss on his claim-to-fame and make himself out to be a jealous twit in the same stroke? Think about it.

As far as I'm concerned, Doom 4 is Brutal Doom. I don't need anything from a non-Carmack + non-Romero id Software. Maybe I'll retract my statement later, but I kind of doubt it.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 21 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm just going to keep with the rational side of things. The situation at id is a cluster-f*ck unrivaled outside of what happened to 3D Realms or Ion Storm.

Best bet, either way, is to wait until you can play a demo. As has been reported, this was a PR move to try and tell everyone "Everything is okay guys! Really!" It doesn't mean that's actually true, and this demonstration could entirely be glossed up and full of shit.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Regardless of whether the reaction was genuine or not, a bunch of hardcore fans getting excited over the potential of an unfinished game doesn't say anything about the final product.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Remember the A:CM trailer. Not saying that Doom will be crap, but don't jump to any conclusions till we see the finished game.

Even the demo could be multiplayer only and not representative of the finished game.

Has anybody even slightly taken into consideration that what those guys saw was a pre-rendered video that was made to look like in game stuff?
It wouldn't even be the first time I've seen this done, sometimes even down to the models being left aliased to be more credible as an ingame demo.

User is offline   pjVgt 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 22 July 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Has anybody even slightly taken into consideration that what those guys saw was a pre-rendered video that was made to look like in game stuff?
It wouldn't even be the first time I've seen this done, sometimes even down to the models being left aliased to be more credible as an ingame demo.

From what I heard this was 100% prerendered video - not actual in-game demo. There was no loading times between sequences, no screen tearing and much too perfect anti-aliasing. Just clips rolling - and it doesn't mean that it is bad. I suppose they didn't had time to make a functional game this quickly and they just wanted to show something to the audience. Thus why it was a inside demonstration - so no one will pull their pants crying fraud when game will finally arrive and will look nothing like it (like some other game already mentioned).

This post has been edited by pjVgt: 22 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 22 July 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

weren't one or both of the 1998, 2001 DNF trailers done like this ?

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 22 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostSteveeeie, on 22 July 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Nope. The 1998 game is entirely in game footage, and the 2001 has a few scenes that are "made up" for the trailer, but are still entirely in game stuff. This is talking like, taking game assets and making pre-rendered, non-game footage. It would make sense, given the epic cluster fuck that went on.

User is offline   Hool 

View PostpjVgt, on 22 July 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

From what I heard this was 100% prerendered video - not actual in-game demo. There was no loading times between sequences, no screen tearing and much too perfect anti-aliasing. Just clips rolling - and it doesn't mean that it is bad. I suppose they didn't had time to make a functional game this quickly and they just wanted to show something to the audience. Thus why it was a inside demonstration - so no one will pull their pants crying fraud when game will finally arrive and will look nothing like it (like some other game already mentioned).

Sounds like they are trying to prevent another "Watch_Dogs" fiasco with the game looking better in the pre-release demos than the actual finished project. If the whole Watch_Dogs controversy never happened I would assume they would actually show the general public gameplay footage.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Or, you know, A:CM.

View PostRonan, on 18 July 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

Beginning to sound good. Let's hope they don't find a way to fuck it up.

Compulsory Internet connection for singleplayer, one installation per license purchase, no installation rollback, cloud saving with no local backup, no level editor to ensure that people buy all DLCs, a DRM rootkit that opens several backdoors on your PC.
(This was the most pessimistic scenario I could think of where they could fuck up the game)

View PostSteveeeie, on 22 July 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Yes, they weren't. :P
Those were incomplete levels, and in some cases, the in-game scenes were done ONLY for the trailer, but what you saw was the actual game engine moving models in real time. No pre-renders.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

I wished Aubrey Hodges -- creator of the SFX & Music for PSX & N64 Doom -- did Doom 4. His work is 10x better than Bobby Prince's.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 22 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 22 July 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

I wished Aubrey Hodges -- creator of the SFX & Music for PSX & N64 Doom -- did Doom 4. His work is 10x better than Bobby Prince's.

For better or worse, I don't think N64 DooM's music reaches the iconic memorability of Bobby Prince's DooM (1) soundtrack, even taking into consideration that Aubrey Hodges himself has made some notable soundtracks (like Quest For Glory 4).

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 22 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Love Aubrey Hodges' work from Sierra. Never heard Doom 64's soundtrack yet, though.

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 July 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

Love Aubrey Hodges' work from Sierra. Never heard Doom 64's soundtrack yet, though.

http://www.aubreyhod...ial-soundtrack/

User is offline   Malgon 

Saw this over at the Doomworld forums and just had to post it: :P

Hitler speaks the truth there.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Hell yeah. This special presentation was for 'Loyal Fans' I; I went out on the day of release of Quake and bought the game from the local Dixon's store - even though my computer wouldn't even run the game! I had to wait 3 months till I upgraded to play the game I paid for. This was a big 'fuck you' to loyal fans everywhere.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 22 July 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Blasphemy! Doom's music was based on some of the best heavy metal ever. And the atmospheric tracks are simply amazing.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 22 July 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

This isn't really music so much as atmospheric noise. He even reuses the same samples from one song to the next repeatedly. Maybe tension-inducing, but it doesn't stay stuck in my head nor does it activate "killing frenzy mode".

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 25 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 25 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

ZenmaxCon kinda sucks.... i miss real Quakecon.

• Judge Mental

View PostRunningWild, on 25 July 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

This isn't really music so much as atmospheric noise. He even reuses the same samples from one song to the next repeatedly. Maybe tension-inducing, but it doesn't stay stuck in my head nor does it activate "killing frenzy mode".

Ambient music is a legitimate genre. Also the repetitive use of samples is an unfortunate necessity of the cart size restriction. (The same reason we lost some of the monster and weapon animations on the 64) The PSX stuff is more varied. Also it's not really aimed at activating your killing mode. It's aimed at getting under your skin and unnerving you. Doom 64 was all about atmospheric horror. Posted Image

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The PC version is the best...
I have the SNES version of DOOM 1 too, and it suffer the 16 bits restrictions : 1 sprite/face for monster and impossibility for them to face another direction or attacking something else, disjointed action from the beginning to the ending , 1 level per episode have been removed , low quality music , impossibility to save a game and you can only begin episode two at level 2 difficulty and episode three at level 3 difficulty ! And even 2 Super-FX chips haven't sufficed to get a satisfactory experience !

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options