Duke4.net Forums: The Merit of Modifying Maps - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Merit of Modifying Maps  "split from Beta thread"

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostLunick, on 26 November 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Can we like, stop touching the maps now...?

Seconded. I had no intention of doing anything else to the maps after this update. I was just correcting the mistakes I made, but that skybox issue showed up and it still has me puzzled. It wasn't doing that before the update. I don't know if something was tweaked with the skyboxes in the update or what. Starcraft's resetting of the skybox textures in his map did solve it, though. I updated my pack with the same change as well, so whether his map or my map gets added in the next update, I don't care as long as it gets fixed. They're both the same, but it needs to be fixed. It looks like crap with the ocean way up in the sky.

To make sure it wasn't my fault that the skybox got messed up, I took the unedited, original map from the GRP file and it was doing the same thing. Here's a screenshot to prove it:

Posted Image

I shot that invisible wall so you could see that it was the original map with the low ceiling sector. I don't know what happened. Whenever that gets updated, I promise not to touch the maps anymore. I wasn't planning on it anyway. And I wish this thread wasn't ending up in a mess again. :)

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 26 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

User is offline   StarNukem 

View PostFox, on 26 November 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

No. They do that to any users who make abnormal posts like you.

So I guess fixing a map is an abnormal post. Seriously can someone just fucking ban me from this site already?! My god, what do I have to do to get off of this fucking site!

User is offline   StarNukem 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 26 November 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

And I wish this thread wasn't ending up in a mess again. :)

Dave I'm with you with that, but it seems like wherever I post, I'm attacked so I just want to get banned so I never have to worry about this damn site anymore...

P.S. This is my last post. Sorry vultures, but I'm out of here!

This post has been edited by StarCraftZergling: 26 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Drama queen.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

View Postbrownfarted, on 26 November 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Can I Join the fixing map team

Fixed Bug in NW

Posted Image

I'm just going to go with this post heheh shhhh going toilet

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The double posts aren't helping.

Lunick's comment about stopping the map tweaks was because it seems that every other day there's a new small fix. The iterating has to stop at some point or it'll keep going on.

The reason why people don't like the idea of someone having the "right" to change maps is because there is a very, very, very fine line between fixing a map, and changing it from the author's original intention. Some details in a map that you might feel look off and should be "fixed" might be considered by someone else as how things should be and should stay. It's the same scenario for adding things to a map like Dukematch capability. Any change at all is highly subjective and no single person has the right or the authority to claim that a map should be changed or that their changes are better than anyone else's. The original authors certainly felt the maps were good enough for one reason or another when they were originally released.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The problem here is the aesthetical changes.

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostMicky C, on 26 November 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

Lunick's comment about stopping the map tweaks was because it seems that every other day there's a new small fix. The iterating has to stop at some point or it'll keep going on.

I'm done now, but that final skybox fix will have to be added unless there's another way to solve it. You're only supposed to be able to see a little bit of the ocean in the skybox on the horizon, but it's showing high up in the sky now. It wasn't doing that before the update. I checked it before it even got added to the game and it wasn't like that. Like I said, I think something was changed in the update that made it do that because the original map straight from the GRP file is doing the same thing. If someone else could simply delete their VACADM1.map in the "vacation" folder and see if the skybox is still doing the same for them, it would be interesting to know. It is for me. Very strange and I'm lost on that one.

This thread can be locked after that gets added and updated. Believe me, I don't want to keep on messing with these maps. I've been dedicating a lot of my time lately just to get this all straightened out. I have other things I need to take care of in my life. Not to say I haven't enjoyed working on the maps. I have, but it's time to put it to rest. That being said, there's no further need for anyone to go looking and pointing out small things that can be fixed since I'm putting a lid on doing anything else. I do appreciate the help in finding problems, though. That was very helpful, but I'm going to take the advice of a few of the other members here and put an end to the fixing after this. The maps are in great, playable condition now compared to before and that's what really matters.

Edit:

For even more assurance, I just updated the first post and listed that map as the "FINAL FIX" that will be done to the maps. It's been a lot of work, but I can now say that I'm proud of the work I've done and it's been an honor to actually be able to say that I worked on a Duke Nukem game. I would like to thank Termit for giving me that opportunity.

When I first started out, I had no intention of trying to be a part of fixing the maps. Me wanting to fix the maps spawned from playing Duke Caribbean in Coop with a friend one night. My friend and I made it to the Lost Lagoon map when I realized there was something seriously wrong. I ended up fixing that map just so we could make it all the way through the expansion. It was after doing that, that I started thinking to myself, "If I solved this map, maybe I can fix all of the smaller problems in the other maps and see if I can convince General Arcade to make use of these fixes". The rest is history. It turned out to be way more overwhelming for me than I expected. It took me about 2 weeks of non-stop work just to finish D.C. and NW. I hardly left my house during that time. I'd wake up and get straight to work until it was time to sleep. Lots of testing had to be done, too, and that took up a lot of time. And still, there were the few things that were found recently and had to be fixed or changed. So yeah, it was a lot of work. A total of 30 maps that I weren't that familiar with, I had to go through.

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 26 November 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Dave forgot to fix that map, so I did him a favor.

I just read this. No, I didn't forget anything. The map looked fine pre-update and you raising the ceiling sectors is something I already did. I can't explain what the hell happened with the skybox, but it seems to be fixed now. Let's hope it stays that way after it gets updated. Had I known that was going to happen, I would have recorded a video of the map before the update, showing that the skybox was displaying properly.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 27 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image
i did some looking at the Wavemistress level, cause of how some were wondering about the Co-Op spawns when it was being fixed. and it looks good. player 1 will be on the small boat. and the others will be on the big one

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 30 November 2014 - 01:11 AM

Nice. Now we don't have to worry about that anymore. That was the only configuration of the spawn sprites I could come up with to make them work. I had to put each one right on the edge of a sector wall of the floor below to prevent them from getting killed or spawning downstairs.

I played Duke Caribbean earlier in Coop with some friends and I happened to discover a few more areas in several maps where players could be potentially trapped by other players in multiplayer. I simply added a few Dukematch and Coop switches where they were needed. Purely multiplayer fixes that were necessary. No cosmetic changes or anything else.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 23 April 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

VACA2.map - A Coop switch was added to to an area where players could trap other players in the map.

Posted Image

VACA3.map - Coop switches were added to to an area where players could trap other players in the map.

Posted Image
Posted Image

VACA5.map - A couple of areas were discovered where a player could trap other players in Dukematch and Coop. A few Dukematch and Coop switches were added.

Posted Image
Posted Image

VACA7.map - A Coop and Dukematch switch were added to a small compartment in the map where a player could get trapped by other players.

Posted Image

I played through Nuclear Winter the other night in Coop, too. Seemed fine. I'm going to try to play through D.C. later and I'll give it a good inspection for problems like the ones above as I play it. Bear with me. It's still coming to a close, though. I'm just going to do another run through D.C. to make sure.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 02 December 2014 - 03:51 AM

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

You didn't invite me damn it Dave stop hogging all the fun goofball

I just finished playing through D.C. in Coop not too long ago. I found one spot where a Dukematch switch needed to be added to improve player flow in Smithsonian Terror (DUKEDC4.map):

Posted Image

I went over Top Secret (DUKEDCSL.map) again, too, and it needed a few more multiplayer switches added as well:

Posted Image

I already had switches added on the bottom of all of these storage rooms before, but I didn't realize they also needed some on top. That map and Smithsonian Terror are monstrous, so it's no surprise they still had a few potential entrapment areas that were missed.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 03 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

This is another thing that needed to be done. A Coop switch needed to be added in the room with the yellow credit card in VACA1.map. I tried to do this before, but I had a problem with the switch being able to be flipped from the outside through the walls. I came up with a solution to that as you'll see in the image below:

Posted Image

Those invisible switches in the walls act as a way to block the player from using the switch from the outside and are set to only be there in Coop. So, it will be possible for the Dukematch switch to be flipped from the outside through the walls, but not the Coop switch. The reason I did that is because if a Dukematch player decides to lock himself in there to avoid another player, the other player can flip the switch from the outside through the wall (if that player discovers that it's possible), making it possible for him to access the player inside and kill him.

I've been trying to keep Dukematch players in mind, as well as Coop players. Having a bunch of rooms where players can get trapped in isn't good. It makes it unfair. Yeah, you could ask another player to come unlock you out, but that player may be far ahead in the map or he may not help you out at all, especially if it's a stranger. The only exception to have a place where a player could be trapped would be if it was like the crusher in the Freeway map. You can get trapped in there, but there's also an RPG in there that you can use to kill yourself to escape.

Anyway, I think it's all done now. The last few posts were just things that were overlooked before and needed taken care of.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options