Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

View PostThe Kins, on 18 July 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:

I'm not sure why this thread needed to be bumped... but let's make some actual use out of it: Are there any cool TCs, mods or custom maps that aim to polish any of the released prototype stuff up into a more final form? I know there's some cleaned up weapon and enemy sprites by Cage out there, but I was wondering about playable things rather than standalone assets. An updated, retail-ified version of L6 from LameDuke would kick ass, as unrealistic as it is to ask of anyone on account of it being fuck-off huge. Yeah, I know bits of it made it into the final game, but you know what I mean...

A mod or TC to refine the prototype, apart from LameDuke, I do not see anything else. If not, a mod or TC that enhances the original game, yes absolutely.

I'm talking about Beta Enforcer.

I've recreated the Beta Enforcer at my best some time ago (an edited version got a role in AMC TC). The chaingun still vanilla. https://forums.duke4...post__p__291686

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 19 July 2019 - 07:28 AM

View PostFantinaikos, on 19 July 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

I've recreated the Beta Enforcer at my best some time ago (an edited version got a role in AMC TC). The chaingun still vanilla. https://forums.duke4...post__p__291686

Yes, I had seen it. The work is very good.

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostFirefly_Trooper, on 19 July 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

A mod or TC to refine the prototype, apart from LameDuke, I do not see anything else. If not, a mod or TC that enhances the original game, yes absolutely.
...what?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Almost everything he posts is some kind of word salad, man.

A good meal from Duke, with scripting sauce.

View PostThe Kins, on 18 July 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:

An updated, retail-ified version of L6 from LameDuke would kick ass

I was experimenting with that concept last year. I gave up, due to the Polymer lights I had added randomly disappearing. https://forums.duke4...656#entry295656

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That happens when there are too many at once. I discovered that in my Black Mesa remake map I never finished. If you don't know, you can set the priority of Polymer lights with the 3 transparency settings of the SE sprite. Higher priority lights will pushed to the top of the list of Polymer lights to keep and lower priority will be removed (deactivated) first.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

How many is too many? So far, this is what I have.

In the street:
- 14 white lights for the lampposts
- one more white light for the bar entrance
- two red lights for the bar and cinema signs
- a gray light for the big screen on the building wall

In the bar:
- a gray light for the TV
- a blue light for the cocktail glass neon sign
- one more blue light, and a red light, for the dancing floor

The only lights that disappear are the white lights on the street.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not sure. I think it's possibly dependent on hardware performance? I'm not sure what governs it. I think it's also only true for lights that are visible at any one time.

I myself tested LameDuke with Dosbox and that is really fascinating.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 July 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'm not sure. I think it's possibly dependent on hardware performance? I'm not sure what governs it. I think it's also only true for lights that are visible at any one time.

My PC is not exactly underperforming (i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 10 GB of RAM) so I'll write it down to Polymer's lack of optimization.

Meanwhile, with Darkplaces...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 24 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I do know I didn't even have 14 lights in my map and they were disappearing.

User is offline   Echelon5 

Dunno how mad people get about old threads getting resurrected, so apologies in advance, but there's so many dead links in this thread. Has there ever been an archive of this stuff outside of this page https://dukenukem.fa...m_3D_prototypes ? I feel like I missed out on a treasure trove of cool stuff.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostEchelon5, on 02 August 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

Dunno how mad people get about old threads getting resurrected, so apologies in advance, but there's so many dead links in this thread. Has there ever been an archive of this stuff outside of this page https://dukenukem.fa...m_3D_prototypes ? I feel like I missed out on a treasure trove of cool stuff.

This is a wonderful compilation. That original Warp Factor, that's the most interesting thing probably in the entire set as most it's stuff were removed and not repurposed.
I really like "El Segundo" layout when Levelord left it. It looked much better than the final version.
And original Hotel Hell looked much better than the final, well at least the areas published here.
And so on.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 02 August 2021 - 11:49 PM, said:

This is a wonderful compilation. That original Warp Factor, that's the most interesting thing probably in the entire set as most it's stuff were removed and not repurposed.
I really like "El Segundo" layout when Levelord left it. It looked much better than the final version.
And original Hotel Hell looked much better than the final, well at least the areas published here.
And so on.

Yeah there's def some cool stuff here but I'm pretty bummed out about missing all the stuff that got posted in this thread that's just gone now. I'm honestly surprised seemingly no one thought to download all of it and archive it.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostEchelon5, on 03 August 2021 - 09:09 AM, said:

Yeah there's def some cool stuff here but I'm pretty bummed out about missing all the stuff that got posted in this thread that's just gone now. I'm honestly surprised seemingly no one thought to download all of it and archive it.

I think most stuff researched in this forum had been compiled pretty well in that site, but it's probably extendable with more infos you have like most wiki sites.

Btw. the other interesting thing here is "AHB-Space", which ended up split in Tiberius Station and Lunar Reactor. I always felt the two maps were close thematically, so it's no surprise it came from a single synoptic source. IMHO the final version of Tiberius Station felt a bit incomplete, it doesn't have a real narrative, other than being just there, as most of the adventure elements went to Lunar Reactor. The same can be said about Incubator. I don't know much about its history, but it feels like "more Warp Factor before Warp Factor". The space episode was really just 5 levels (Spaceport, Warp Factor, Fusion Station, Lunar Reactor/AHB Space and Dark Side), the other levels just came as afterthoughts to fill the gaps. Occupied Territory was a map planned for a Battlelord boss section, Overlord was just a boss arena and some reused Lameduke areas, and the two secret levels were "funstuff" additions.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 04 August 2021 - 04:27 AM

User is online   Aleks 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 04 August 2021 - 04:26 AM, said:

I think most stuff researched in this forum had been compiled pretty well in that site, but it's probably extendable with more infos you have like most wiki sites.

Btw. the other interesting thing here is "AHB-Space", which ended up split in Tiberius Station and Lunar Reactor. I always felt the two maps were close thematically, so it's no surprise it came from a single synoptic source. IMHO the final version of Tiberius Station felt a bit incomplete, it doesn't have a real narrative, other than being just there, as most of the adventure elements went to Lunar Reactor. The same can be said about Incubator. I don't know much about its history, but it feels like "more Warp Factor before Warp Factor". The space episode was really just 5 levels (Spaceport, Warp Factor, Fusion Station, Lunar Reactor/AHB Space and Dark Side), the other levels just came as afterthoughts to fill the gaps. Occupied Territory was a map planned for a Battlelord boss section, Overlord was just a boss arena and some reused Lameduke areas, and the two secret levels were "funstuff" additions.

I've looked at a video of old Warp Factor which comes from Hendricks' compilation of beta material and also at the top-down screenshot, and must say while there's a lot of interesting things in there, I much prefer the final, released version of Warp Factor, which has a layout more closely based on USS Enterprise with accessible "warp gondolas" and the warp core. Stuff like the rotating stairs is cool level-design wise, but doesn't really make much sense thematically.

As for Incubator, I strongly disagree here - to me it always was one of the strongest levels in terms of plot of the whole game, where we actually see the alien infestation and what they do with woman. It's not my favourite level due to the amount of drones combined with slimers, but that final part is definitely one of the more memorable moments of Duke 3D campaign. Agree on Tiberius Station though, the level always felt quite washed out to me, like a filler - and also it has this very "Doomish" geometry compared to other E2 levels. Not sure about Overlord though, after Dark Side, the area before we actually reach the boss always felt so ominous, bleak and atmospheric (especially the waterfalls). I like how it builds up the tension before the boss fight. Occupied Territory indeed feels like it should have been a boss level and never was really that memorable to me, but then it's definitely a good level all in all with some of the more challenging fights.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostAleks, on 04 August 2021 - 04:36 AM, said:

I've looked at a video of old Warp Factor which comes from Hendricks' compilation of beta material and also at the top-down screenshot, and must say while there's a lot of interesting things in there, I much prefer the final, released version of Warp Factor, which has a layout more closely based on USS Enterprise with accessible "warp gondolas" and the warp core. Stuff like the rotating stairs is cool level-design wise, but doesn't really make much sense thematically.

As for Incubator, I strongly disagree here - to me it always was one of the strongest levels in terms of plot of the whole game, where we actually see the alien infestation and what they do with woman. It's not my favourite level due to the amount of drones combined with slimers, but that final part is definitely one of the more memorable moments of Duke 3D campaign. Agree on Tiberius Station though, the level always felt quite washed out to me, like a filler - and also it has this very "Doomish" geometry compared to other E2 levels. Not sure about Overlord though, after Dark Side, the area before we actually reach the boss always felt so ominous, bleak and atmospheric (especially the waterfalls). I like how it builds up the tension before the boss fight. Occupied Territory indeed feels like it should have been a boss level and never was really that memorable to me, but then it's definitely a good level all in all with some of the more challenging fights.

I like the final version of Warp Factor as well, it's a very well-thought out and cohesive map, but I'm still interested what went down in the original AHB version. Maybe those barrack segments were the ones that were reimagined for It's Impossible? Who knows...

I don't know about Incubator, the alien infestation segment is quite similar to the ones in other maps, particularly the ones by Levelord. I thought Raw Meat and Dark Side did this the best way, that's why Duke freak speech in both levels.

I love Occupied Territory. It's placement in the episode is highly questionable, but its giant corridors and meaty enemies were really memorable to me.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Some of the material shown on the early pages of this thread is no longer online. Have the findings been stored and / or documented elsewhere since?

View PostMrFlibble, on 12 August 2021 - 02:02 AM, said:

Some of the material shown on the early pages of this thread is no longer online. Have the findings been stored and / or documented elsewhere since?

I posted the same thing not long ago but unfortunately it seems not. :\

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

A lot of it may still be on the Discord server. You'd just have to go back to those years and look for it.

It's quite shocking to me that nobody in these parts was actually archiving all of it. I guess once we realized the betas weren't coming out people stopped caring.

This post has been edited by OpenMaw: 26 August 2021 - 06:47 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I fixed what I could. If anyone has DNES_Preview-1.jpg through DNES_Preview-6.jpg, terminX.JPG, or "2014-04-03 23.36.15-1.jpg", please post them.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 02:17 PM

User is offline   deus-ex 

You are the man! Many thanks for your efforts. :)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's the least I can do.

I uploaded the lossless originals of Stephen Hornback's logos that were posted too. I would hate for them to only be known in JPEGed form. https://hendricks266.duke4.net/stuff/3dr_beta_thread/lossless/

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's also worth mentioning that by now I have successfully opened every encrypted zip file that was included in the data I received. Thanks to Ken Silverman for providing the password to the last one.

View PostTerminX, on 17 April 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

What was this video? I'm assuming it got taken down due to NDA shit.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostEchelon5, on 26 August 2021 - 11:22 PM, said:

Seems to be listed as "private" on youtube.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

It's likely due to youtube's new policy on unlisted videos.
The video needs to be made "unlisted" again and you will get a new URL that has a longer video ID to avoid people guessing it.

View PostEchelon5, on 26 August 2021 - 11:22 PM, said:

It was a screen recording (as in a phone aimed at the screen) of some of the demos playing in a 1995 beta of Duke 3D. You may as well watch Hendricks' direct DOSBox capture instead as it's of the same build:

View PostHendricks266, on 26 August 2021 - 10:22 AM, said:

DNES_Preview-1.jpg through DNES_Preview-6.jpg
I'm pretty sure the first six screenshots in this article's gallery were the ones Fred posted:
https://dukenukem.fa...ies#Screenshots

It looks like they were also needlessly converted to PNG, but at least there was no quality loss.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 27 August 2021 - 05:45 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

Didn't Fox had a huge online collection of beta-releated stuff?
Maybe he saved smthn.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options