Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Happy new year everyone! I finally accepted that we will never have those betas, but seing new videos about them is always very cool. I'm wondering why did they get rid of the alternate ammo.

By the way, I'll like to congratulate to whoever made this page: https://dukenukem.fa...m_3D_prototypes

There's a lot of stuff there that I've never seen before. Also, I didn't know Lee Jackson started building the Going Postal map.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Powerups became kind of redundant...

2: "shitty starter pistol you use until something better" OR "shitty starter pistol you use until something better (or run out of powered ammo)" --> "The shitty starter pistol you use until something better"
3-4: "A non-hitscan weapon that's basically a less shitty starter pistol you use until something better" OR "Closest thing to a shotgun" -> Actual shotgun you wanted & Ripper gun

So 2+2 became first 3.

RPG is probably where I'd make a case since that heatseek is cool, also cata is pretty nice here unlike 0.99.
Shrinker/expander we did get later
Pipebombs only need one functional version as you'd never use the other one if you had ammo.
Tripmines should've been optionally scanning though, that's really cool.

It's however an interesting look that enabled the photon gun to be actually useful and a homage to earlier Duke games where you could upgrade your weapon.
Ok, maybe a bit too rough on the photon primary but it looks kinda underwhelming and pistol kinda makes it redundant.

View Postoasiz, on 03 January 2022 - 05:13 AM, said:

2: "shitty starter pistol you use until something better" OR "shitty starter pistol you use until something better (or run out of powered ammo)" --> "The shitty starter pistol you use until something better"

The Duke3D pistol doesn't stop being useful though because it uses its own ammo pool and has a fast firerate. But true, it doesn't need upgraded alternate ammo.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Duke 3D might have the most useful pistol out of all 90s shooters. Shadow Warrior figured out what they should have done if Duke kept the alternate fire modes; pistols akimbo.

I'm surprised at just how nicely the heatseeker rockets work and yet they still got cut. Even if alternate fire modes were scrapped, it seems like it would have fit nicely on the Devastator.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 03 January 2022 - 11:47 AM

View PostJimmy, on 03 January 2022 - 11:46 AM, said:

Duke 3D might have the most useful pistol out of all 90s shooters. Shadow Warrior figured out what they should have done if Duke kept the alternate fire modes; pistols akimbo.

I'm surprised at just how nicely the heatseeker rockets work and yet they still got cut. Even if alternate fire modes were scrapped, it seems like it would have fit nicely on the Devastator.

The homing rockets would have been a cool addition for Multiplayer, or if fired from enemies to then home in on the player.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 03 January 2022 - 03:05 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postoasiz, on 01 January 2022 - 08:40 AM, said:

End of E1L3 is a retrofit, you can actually sort of restore a prison island look just by opening up the area slightly with the editor.
N1 and E1L3 have a surprisingly lot in common once you dig in more.

Yeah, the z heights of the windows in the cells are actually still the same values between LameDuke and retail.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 03 January 2022 - 03:05 PM, said:

or if fired from enemies to then home in on the player.

This honestly is a missed opportunity. It would have been cool to have a glass cannon homing projectile enemy like the revenants in Doom 2 :D

User is offline   NNC 

I think the RPG is overpowered even without heatseeking.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Another one that didn't come from Joe's beta CD.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I think I'm going to need one of those new pentiums to handle those pipebombs...

User is offline   Tekedon 

View Postoasiz, on 30 December 2021 - 01:02 AM, said:

Another video was posted on discord today

I'm curious. What discord channel is this stuff usually posted in?

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

View PostTekedon, on 07 January 2022 - 12:08 PM, said:

I'm curious. What discord channel is this stuff usually posted in?

#duke-nukem

User is offline   Lunick 

Unfortunately there's a lot of really bad spam that happens in that channel from various users so these videos and discussion get swamped pretty quickly.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Discord is just constant noise, signal is rare.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yeah, this is why I recommend reposting here.
Discord is great for real time discussion (where it has largely replaced forums on many communities) but not for documentation / archiving said stuff per topic.

User is offline   The Kins 

Well, if we're reposting videos, here's one from a couple of days ago.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostThe Kins, on 08 January 2022 - 05:06 AM, said:

Well, if we're reposting videos, here's one from a couple of days ago.

Already posted by TerminX in the previous page :P

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostLunick, on 07 January 2022 - 09:55 PM, said:

Unfortunately there's a lot of really bad spam that happens in that channel from various users so these videos and discussion get swamped pretty quickly.

What do you mean?
Posted Image

User is offline   Dzierzan 

From Duke4 Discord, posted by terminx

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I figured this out the other day but never posted it

I was like "why do these early Duke sprites have green shit all over them" followed by "maybe with the proper alt pal applied it will look like a muzzle flash"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Perro Seco 

You can see the muzzle flash in action in one of the demos; it can be blue when using the plasma cannon, orange with other weapons like the pistol, and maybe green when shooting the shrinker:

Posted Image

I guess they had to get rid of it in order to allow players change colors in multiplayer.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTerminX, on 28 December 2021 - 06:14 PM, said:

I know you guys have a lot on your plate, and all of these videos are like mana from heaven to see what Duke was like, but is there any chance we could see a complete "playthrough" of a build?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I think TX posted a playthrough of the early shareware beta with the infamous 2nd bathroom and the usual suspect changes.
This wasn't in video form but had enough screenshots to cover a lot.

User is offline   NNC 

The Spaceport video features a multi-floor elevator which was sadly removed from the final product. I'm wondering if SE17's nonsense shading rule relates to this. I mean, why can't you use angles to determine the starting floor? Using shades only makes sense if you have multiple shades for multiple floors for the elevator.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I recall it possibly being related. The multi floor ones with the directional arrow are no different in setup, it just allows you to choose the direction still in LD (I think it was A/Z + use).
This looks like some sort of hybrid version since it only goes between 1<->2 and only when called to 3 it will go up and after that it's 3->2<->1

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 08 February 2022 - 05:26 AM, said:

The Spaceport video features a multi-floor elevator which was sadly removed from the final product. I'm wondering if SE17's nonsense shading rule relates to this. I mean, why can't you use angles to determine the starting floor? Using shades only makes sense if you have multiple shades for multiple floors for the elevator.

Still can do these with a combination between regular ST only elevators and SE31, basing on the fact the elevator will go to the neighbouring sectors height. Semicharm was a master of this trick, his tutorial is super impressive especially considering it was made around 2004 or so.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

As I like to say, Anything is possible in Build as long as you pump so much smoke that the mirrors can no longer see each other.

User is offline   NNC 

Can I call the elevator if it's on the first floor then? If I cheat for a jetpack for example.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I think the final game simply alternates between "Seek lower Z" "Seek higher Z" instead of more involved logic if that's what you're asking. Older ones seem to intentionally seek towards the player.
SE31 ones are simply manually moving the goal post mid-cycle.
This is where you have "elevator move down" "elevator move up"

Although this is probably easier to work with when you have each floor as a separate sector and be able to tell where the player pressed use. (Teleporting elevators).

There is multi-story non-teleporting as well but they seem to kinda just seek sequentially up/down or something.

Would need to see the older sources to really see what they were doing but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just some additional block of code on top of the usual stuff that they simply removed.

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

With all the behind the scenes stuff that Scott has posted on Twitter I wonder if there's more that can be shared here. Especially old scans from gaming magazines and artwork from the old games.

User is offline   Lunick 

Well that was a disappointing thread bump

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options