Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Hey are there any updates as to when we will get new beta/alpha stuff?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Please explicitly indicate sarcasm.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostHulkNukem, on 18 April 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

when we will get new beta/alpha stuff?

Posted Image

How does the shotgun mode of the Plasma Rifle work? Is it hitscan or projectile? How much ammo does it consume?

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 19 April 2017 - 01:26 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostPikaCommando, on 19 April 2017 - 01:25 AM, said:

How does the shotgun mode of the Plasma Rifle work? Is it hitscan or projectile? How much ammo does it consume?
You can see the plasma rifle working in shotgun mode here, at 1:11, 4:12 or 7:38. But I don't know about the ammo.

I feel very nostalgic everytime I watch that video...

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I noticed while watching Hendrix's beta video that there is a different view of the skycar that crashes at the beginning of Hollywood Holocaust (@ 11:17).

So, was the skycar a playable vehicle or is it just parked there instead of Duke using a Teleporter? If it was in the game more earlier, are there any other/clearer sprites available for it? Would there be any pre-rendered shots of the cockpit?

Secondly, I'm working on a recreation of Chuck Jones' Cycloid model. I was wondering if there are any previously unseen renders or clearer shots of the big guy - especially the top of the head.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 19 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

User is offline   Darkus 

How about posting pictures of betas in development?

Posted Image

Spoiler

In this one, the chaingun is barely visible:

Posted Image

I think that the version shown is the leaked 0.99 beta, or a close version to it; from the Hendricks266 site, it is said it was compiled the January 4 1996, while the pictures timestamp show December 1 1995, that makes only one month of difference.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Is this from the live cam feature at 3DR's site (or whatever it was called)?

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 April 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

Is this from the live cam feature at 3DR's site (or whatever it was called)?

Probably. But these images also came in a "goodies" folder on the Rise of the Triad CD. 3D Realms later released an updated version of the goodies pack for download, but I don't know if the links still work.

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 30 April 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

But these images also came in a "goodies" folder on the Rise of the Triad CD. 3D Realms later released an updated version of the goodies pack for download, but I don't know if the links still work.

Yes, I found them here, there are many pictures of the old Apogee/3D Realms team but it's mainly ROTT related, there are very few Duke content. But it's still the opportunity to see how the old offices looked like...

Also included some FAQ files (similar to the official Doom/Doom II ones) for your knowledge thirst.

For the download links, only the FilePlanet one works.
https://www.fileplan...ad-Goodies-Pack

3D Realms site article

EDIT: Here some pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Darkus: 30 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

I remember downloading the ROTT goodies pack a while ago, in the hopes of finding high-res versions of the title/loading screens or something like that (sadly no hi-res art is included). I viewed some of the photos but probably not all of them.

TerminX: I am curious at what point in development did they decide to switch the game code over to a scripting system?

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

I think the scripting system might have been used right from the start. You see, Duke Nukem II already used a scripting system to define all of the menus and more or less every text ever shown in the game. Keep in mind that the Duke2 engine was based on Cosmo, which didn't have any scripting. So extending the scripting system to the actual actor code (i.e. designing the actual code in a way that supports scripting) when starting the next project seems logical.

• Weaponized Autism

LameDuke has CON files. The only older build we have (April 1994) does not.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 May 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

LameDuke has CON files. The only older build we have (April 1994) does not.

When did Duke3D development start?

• Weaponized Autism

I believe Joe said it started immediately after Duke II was finished.

I have always wondered why Shadow Warrior doesn't use any CON files while seemingly being a later game, but after recently re-reading the weekly news updates from 1996 I realised that the development of both Duke3D and SW was (more or less) concurrent, meaning that they have diverged at some point with Duke3D adopting CON scripting.

User is offline   Minigunner 

I should leave it to TerminX to post assets, but a particular very early asset was shown on the community Discord that I felt would be good for the HRP (permission was granted to post):
Posted Image
Though a real early (and obviously crappy and cut for good reasons) shot, it reveals several never-before details.

Also, if you do hit the Discord, please be considerate about this kind of stuff. Nothing good ever comes out of being demanding. :(

• Weaponized Autism

One new SW beta has been released, the leaked one from Lon Matero's site (and mine) has been legitimized, and 6 more are on the way. https://forums.duke4...betas-released/

View PostHendricks266, on 19 May 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

One new SW beta has been released, the leaked one from Lon Matero's site (and mine) has been legitimized, and 6 more are on the way. https://forums.duke4...betas-released/

I'm curious if you guys have found a shadow warrior code drop that has working multiplayer.

View PostMinigunner, on 19 May 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

I should leave it to TerminX to post assets, but a particular very early asset was shown on the community Discord that I felt would be good for the HRP (permission was granted to post):
Posted Image
Though a real early (and obviously crappy and cut for good reasons) shot, it reveals several never-before details.

Also, if you do hit the Discord, please be considerate about this kind of stuff. Nothing good ever comes out of being demanding. :(

So it was a real chainsaw digitized into a sprite? That makes sense, seeing that it was originally the Laser Chainsaw.

Can anyone tell the brand/model of the chainsaw?

• Weaponized Autism

No, it was a 3D model from the start.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I could see that frame being re-purposed for the Freezer. That's neat!

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostHendricks266, on 19 May 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

No, it was a 3D model from the start.
I also thought it was a real photo. They did a great job then.

User is offline   MTR 

Yeah, it's amazing to see SW betas being released, but I don't understand, if Randy greenlighted you to release Duke3D beta materials, then why you can't release it just like SW betas? Its like more than 3 years passed since thread was started and nothing happened at all, please talk with Randy about it on the upcoming Skype conversation.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I don't have permission to release full builds.

This deeply saddens me and a part of me still hopes that this will change some day.

Still, in the mean time something is better than nothing, so be thankful for small mercies I guess.

User is offline   MTR 

View PostTerminX, on 19 May 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

I don't have permission to release full builds.

Maybe you can talk more about it with Randy on Skype meeting? I bet he will be fine with releasing full builds. Atleast try to give it a chance, man. If he will say definite no, then no.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostMinigunner, on 19 May 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Is there somewhere shot of this "toy" from where this model was taken from? I'd really like to see the real world version if just possible. I believe the shotgun reference has already been shown forexample.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View Postspessu_sb, on 19 May 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Is there somewhere shot of this "toy" from where this model was taken from? I'd really like to see the real world version if just possible. I believe the shotgun reference has already been shown forexample.

Just a few post above it states it is a 3D model, and always had been.

I'm interested in the pistol. To me, it looks like they used a real pistol, and edited it with the graphics editor to make it look different.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options