Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   MetHy 

Well yeah, but that only came out in 2005 (i guess long after any SW sequel would be possible) and it wasn't exactly made by 3Drealms...

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Besides which, if 3D Realms, or rather those with any creative clout back when the remake was being done wanted to do a sequel, they would have.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Let's face it, Duke3d and Quake overshadowed the hell out of Sw, hence the poor sales figures and subsequent lack of motivation to pursue any add-ons or sequels. The world had moved on from build. That said, SW is deserving of such things being the awesome game that it is and I've yet to find a better multiplayer experience in any game since.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'd like to see a fan mod made in the Q2 engine or something old like that which acted as a sort of sequel to SW. Would like to see how fun that might be with SW's weapons (maybe a couple original ones) in a true 3D engine.

[/idea post]

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 August 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

I'd like to see a fan mod made in the Q2 engine or something old like that which acted as a sort of sequel to SW Blood. Would like to see how fun that might be with SW's Blood's weapons (maybe a couple original ones) in a true 3D engine.

[/idea post]

How well is that Transfusion workin' out for ya?

• The Sarien Encounter

Played Blood a little bit. Never did like it. Actually, I didn't get huge into SW either, but still thought it was better than Blood.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostHendricks420, on 19 August 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

It's called Blood 2 :(

Also, I had never heard of this "Transfusion" til' now... http://www.blood-wik...php/Transfusion kewl!

This post has been edited by Robman: 19 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostRobman, on 19 August 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

:(
What Blood 2? I'm still waiting for this game.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I take it you were disappointed with Blood II : The Chosen ? I've only played like 5 minutes of it so I really can't give any thoughts on it other than I thought it used the q2 engine.

• Judge Mental

View PostRobman, on 19 August 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I take it you were disappointed with Blood II : The Chosen ? I've only played like 5 minutes of it so I really can't give any thoughts on it other than I thought it used the q2 engine.

It uses a really shoddy version of the Lithtech engine as I understand it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRobman, on 19 August 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

The point was that someone had done (tried to do?) exactly what MI described, but for Blood. Multiplayer, at least.

Monolith writes their own tech starting with Blood 2 and Shogo. https://en.wikipedia...ki/Lithtech#1.0

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I was just being a knob but then quickly realized this "transfusion" you spoke of, was a real thing.

User is offline   Besli 

Same here, After 5 minutes i took the game away.

What happend to all the SW models in work?

User is offline   LkMax 

Yes I was. It had a terribly balanced gameplay (easy was ridiculously easy, medium was ridiculously difficult) and the dialogs were disastrous. Only the graphics (for the time it was released) are good.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 August 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

I'd like to see a fan mod made in the Q2 engine or something old like that which acted as a sort of sequel to SW. Would like to see how fun that might be with SW's weapons (maybe a couple original ones) in a true 3D engine.

[/idea post]

View PostHendricks420, on 19 August 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

Personally I have a thing against recreations, and for some reasons Blood (which has become one of my fav FPS) has tons of recreations projects. It's not the idea that bothers me (even though I don't see the point), but it's never done properly, because it's really really fucking hard to do it properly (this is probably not the right thread to say this but the idea of a DN3D recreation/remake has never appealed to me either).
When I look at Transfusion I don't believe they are ever going to make something that looks better than the original Blood. Also, weapon and enemy behaviour (especially enemy behaviour) are very advanced in Blood, Blood's gameplay has more 'little things' and nuances than any other retro FPS I know, and even BloodCM has those behaviours off by a thousand miles, and that uses EDuke32 which share a lot with the original Build, so I don't even want to think about how it would be in another engine.

The worst in all of this is that people seem to be satisfied by those things, and take them as serious replacements to the original game. If anything those are interesting experiments and good learning projects for modders, but I don't believe they can ever replace the original game because there will always be something missing or off.

Don't even get me started on the recreations of Blood using the Doom engine. When the dosbox version of Blood came on Steam some people on its forum were seriously telling people to play those instead of playing the actual game... But that's also probably because some people in the Doom community are so self-centered and stuck-up they can't see what's behind their little world.

Now though, we were talking about a sequel, which is completely different

Edit: but yeah, I guess you guys have a point, and that if they ever thought of a sequel, they probably quickly gave up on the idea... which means there is nothing substantial to find in that regard in any case.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 20 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

User is offline   junga 

Seems like we're not getting Blood earlier prototype, oh well. At least we got some screenies.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostMetHy, on 20 August 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

Personally I have a thing against recreations, and for some reasons Blood (which has become one of my fav FPS) has tons of recreations projects. It's not the idea that bothers me (even though I don't see the point), but it's never done properly, because it's really really fucking hard to do it properly (this is probably not the right thread to say this but the idea of a DN3D recreation/remake has never appealed to me either).
When I look at Transfusion I don't believe they are ever going to make something that looks better than the original Blood. Also, weapon and enemy behaviour (especially enemy behaviour) are very advanced in Blood, Blood's gameplay has more 'little things' and nuances than any other retro FPS I know, and even BloodCM has those behaviours off by a thousand miles, and that uses EDuke32 which share a lot with the original Build, so I don't even want to think about how it would be in another engine.

The worst in all of this is that people seem to be satisfied by those things, and take them as serious replacements to the original game. If anything those are interesting experiments and good learning projects for modders, but I don't believe they can ever replace the original game because there will always be something missing or off.

Don't even get me started on the recreations of Blood using the Doom engine. When the dosbox version of Blood came on Steam some people on its forum were seriously telling people to play those instead of playing the actual game... But that's also probably because some people in the Doom community are so self-centered and stuck-up they can't see what's behind their little world.

Now though, we were talking about a sequel, which is completely different

Edit: but yeah, I guess you guys have a point, and that if they ever thought of a sequel, they probably quickly gave up on the idea... which means there is nothing substantial to find in that regard in any case.

Have to agree with you there on the recreations and on the subject of the Steam release of Blood, reading the forums there with everyone throwing a massive fit of it not being a proper port bugs the crap out of me. The game runs fine on DOSBox, even on a low end system by today's standards, it's not like the game is unplayable under DOSBox. A port would be nice but throwing a fit about it won't resolve anything, and it is good that the game has had a re-release period.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

A port would be better!

• Judge Mental

It would, unfortunately it will never happen because the universe seems to hate the Blood franchise.

So i'm gonna be the ungrateful prick at this time and say.... Guys? August is almost over. There was a joke a few pages back about "Get ready for September!" ...Is that gonna be the reality here? Posted Image

"New" 3D Realms, "old" habits. It's a goddamn curse I tells ya...

View PostCommando Nukem, on 22 August 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

It would, unfortunately it will never happen because the universe seems to hate the Blood franchise.

So i'm gonna be the ungrateful prick at this time and say.... Guys? August is almost over. There was a joke a few pages back about "Get ready for September!" ...Is that gonna be the reality here? Posted Image

As I wrote in another message, they said August, but they never said what year.

User is offline   hex 

View PostAltered Reality, on 22 August 2014 - 02:27 AM, said:

As I wrote in another message, they said August, but they never said what year.

FFS :(

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Has Interceptor ever actually followed through with one of their special dates?

Off the top of my head:
Duke Nukem Reloaded: Never coming out.
ROTT 2013: postponed at least once IIRC (and was still pretty buggy on release).
Duke Nukem RPG style game/Bombshell had that countdown that didn't come to anything.
Now this website thing.

I don't know why they even bother with dates. Even if it comes out at the end of August that doesn't really mean much.

• The Sarien Encounter

They did promise a patch for ROTT that fixes a lot of issues and an editor and they dis deliver that

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

*snip*

This.

A curse I tells ye, aye, a curse!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 22 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMicky C, on 22 August 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Has Interceptor ever actually followed through with one of their special dates?

Off the top of my head:
Duke Nukem Reloaded: Never coming out.
ROTT 2013: postponed at least once IIRC (and was still pretty buggy on release).
Duke Nukem RPG style game/Bombshell had that countdown that didn't come to anything.
Now this website thing.

I don't know why they even bother with dates. Even if it comes out at the end of August that doesn't really mean much.

I don't really think it's fair to even bring up the countdown thing. Gearbox flipped the fuck out and sued them, there was nothing for them to show after that. But, that is NOT the point of this thread.

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

I recall Fresch saying the new site would launch mid-July. I don't want to be a jerk about it but what's going on with the site?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMicky C, on 22 August 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Now this website thing.

My thoughts exactly, just didn't want to moan about it... but it does irk me.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'm glad they're at least trying to set a date. It's better than WHEN IT'S DONE.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Well, since they've gone completely dark on Bombshell (I guess that's being reworked/overhauled due to the negative reception?) the site will probably go live whenever their Major Stryker reboot is ready.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 22 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 22 August 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Well, since they've gone completely dark on Bombshell (I guess that's being reworked/overhauled due to the negative reception?) the site will probably go live whenever their Major Stryker reboot is ready.

That seems likely. Which I am mildly curious about (I haven't ever played the OG MS.)

View PostYay Ponies, on 22 August 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

I'm glad they're at least trying to set a date. It's better than WHEN IT'S DONE.

The problem is when they aren't meeting deadlines.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options