Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 22 August 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

The problem is when they aren't meeting deadlines.

"Keeping failed on meeting deadlines" is worse than "When it's done".

*sigh*

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 23 August 2014 - 03:53 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

They both suck. It's just different flavors of suck. Choose your poison. Posted Image

Well there is a new deadline for the website.

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

"@gbfan We're aiming for mid September :("

Don't you dare winky face at us ... You like torturing us with those deadlines, don't you ?

Someone ask him: "Mid-September of what year?"

P.S.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 23 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

"Would you like some cheese with that whine?"

• Judge Mental

View PostYay Ponies, on 23 August 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

"Would you like some cheese with that whine?"

Posted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You should probably call Whine-1-1. The wah-mbulance will come and pick you up.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 23 August 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

How does "aiming for" translate to "deadline"?

View PostDr_Proton, on 23 August 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Don't you dare winky face at us

It's only winking in your imagination.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostX-Vector, on 24 August 2014 - 02:25 AM, said:

How does "aiming for" translate to "deadline"?

Will probably be out by this Christmas :(

aiming

Wouldn't want to share a bathroom with this guy.

Posted Image

Just here to remind you guys about how sexy the old Octabrain is.

Although the concept art version is definitely creepier and cooler. (imo the round eyes design suits it more, makes the DNF Octabrains look better than the DN3D counterpart)

EDIT: Maybe it's just me, but lameduke's Octabrain sorta reminds me of the Grell from D&D, especially with the beak.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 01 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

nah actually its ugly as shit and dumb looking. beta aint betta son

So it's September ... Where's the website ?

• Judge Mental

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 01 September 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

nah actually its ugly as shit and dumb looking. beta aint betta son

I've always though the LameDuke version of the Octabrain would make a great enemy for Proton's techbot army. The Techno-brain! I especially love that Star-Wars vibe it has with the whole "waits in the water like a pile of garbage" idea that was in the concept art. Very cool stuff.

User is offline   nukemania 

View PostDr_Proton, on 01 September 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

So it's September ... Where's the website ?

It's not the right September :)

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 September 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

I've always though the LameDuke version of the Octabrain would make a great enemy for Proton's techbot army. The Techno-brain!

I don't know. Considering the transhumanist vibe he had in TDWCM, I think Proton would be more likely to study the octabrain's brain in order to enhance himself with telekinetic powers and/or build machines that replicate the same kind of action at a distance. He would be too genre savvy not to realize that enslaving creatures with free will and capable to do things he cannot would entail the risk that they break free and revolt against him.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 September 2014 - 03:28 AM

Proton really has been underutilized as a villain. In my mind, there's nothing more dangerous or scary than an uncaring machine built by a mad man.

View PostHigh Treason, on 01 September 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Proton really has been underutilized as a villain. In my mind, there's nothing more dangerous or scary than an uncaring machine built by a mad man.

I completely agree, which is why I am in favor of Duke Begins: to see more of Proton.

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 September 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

I don't know. Considering the transhumanist vibe he had in TDWCM, I think Proton would be more likely to study the octabrain's brain in order to enhance himself with telekinetic powers and/or build machines that replicate the same kind of action at a distance. He would be too genre savvy not to realize that enslaving creatures with free will and capable to do things he cannot would entail the risk that they break free and revolt against him.

Eh, wasn't one of the original DNF plot had Proton recruit all the previous alien races defeated by Duke in a final attempt to bring Duke down? Besides, lameduke Octabrain looks more like a bio-organic weapon than a highly-intelligent free-willed evil plotting space octopus that loves sewers and underwater.

And I'm not really sure about seeing more of Proton in Duke Begins. Wasn't Duke Begins is about Duke's origin story? Proton's backstory is neatly explained in DN1's manual or somewhere already. Unless Proton was a military scientist that was with Duke in his early years or something, which would be cool either way.

View PostPikaCommando, on 02 September 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

Eh, wasn't one of the original DNF plot had Proton recruit all the previous alien races defeated by Duke in a final attempt to bring Duke down?

Indeed it was, and that was also the premise of the Duke Nukem Trilogy. Fortunately, TDWCM presented us with something less cliché. In an age where everything is "dumbed down", Proton was instead "smarted up", and, instead of recruiting aliens for petty revenge, he was shown to use Duke's image to get more power for himself, with the ultimate goal to rule over the aliens as well (in the Rude Awakening level, he says "when their civilization crumbles at my feet", referring to the aliens).

Besides, lameduke Octabrain looks more like a bio-organic weapon than a highly-intelligent free-willed evil plotting space octopus that loves sewers and underwater.

Hmm, it could be retconned as the result of one of Proton's experiments, who connected a machine he built to part of the brain of a dead octabrain, either as a bionic war device, or an experimental platform to test what an octabrain's brain can do, in order to build bionic war devices later on.

And I'm not really sure about seeing more of Proton in Duke Begins. Wasn't Duke Begins is about Duke's origin story? Proton's backstory is neatly explained in DN1's manual or somewhere already. Unless Proton was a military scientist that was with Duke in his early years or something, which would be cool either way.

My hypothesis is that there is a deeper connection between Proton and Duke than we have ever been shown. Specifically, I think that Proton, before the events of DN1, used to work at Area 51 on a supersoldier program that resulted in the creation of Duke, either as the genetic enhancement of a previously normal human (which would nevertheless be very cliché because it's a narrative concept already explored in Captain America) or in the more original concept of a human whose DNA was synthesized completely from scratch.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

You know, to this day I'm still not sure about the DN3D alien army structure. Judging by the final boss of the DLC, the Octabrains and the Assault enemies are technically part of the same race? (Therefore disproving the Slimer>Octabrain and Octa/Assault alliance theory)

And we still haven't found out who's the villain behind the lameduke plot and its weird mishmash of enemies. Any news on that?

View PostPikaCommando, on 02 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

You know, to this day I'm still not sure about the DN3D alien army structure. Judging by the final boss of the DLC, the Octabrains and the Assault enemies are technically part of the same race? (Therefore disproving the Slimer>Octabrain and Octa/Assault alliance theory)

I think they are, and the entire group of aliens we see in Duke3D and DNF is supposed to be one species, with different "castes" corresponding to different body shapes and different tasks. Just like what happens with ants.

View PostPikaCommando, on 02 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

And we still haven't found out who's the villain behind the lameduke plot and its weird mishmash of enemies. Any news on that?

Considering Levelord said that 3DRealms made stuff up as they went along, I'm quite sure that, when Lameduke was new, the only "plot" was "those are some old bad guys, those are some new bad guys, shoot them".

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Posted Image
I wonder if there were any shots of these guys without the helmets? Or something between this and the final releases Assault Trooper used in builds after this version.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 03 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

User is offline   Ahcruna 

View Postgerolf, on 03 September 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

Posted Image
I wonder if there were any shots of these guys without the helmets? Or something between this and the final releases Assault Trooper used in builds after this version.

I'm guessing the closest thing to that would be the ones in lameduke where you could see their mouth. Other than that the faces would probably just look like the ones the punks had in that build.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Wonderful thread! I haven't had to wait because I just read all this today :)

View PostDavoX, on 05 September 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Wonderful thread! I haven't had to wait because I just read all this today :)

Well ... then let the waiting begin, my friend. Become one of us and wait with us for the website that will eventually be released in September.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostDr_Proton, on 05 September 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

Become one of us and wait with us for the website that will eventually be released in September.

Coming Soon, September 2015

User is offline   nukemania 

View PostLunick, on 06 September 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

Coming Soon, September 2015

I think you meant September 2510 :)

Don't know about you guys but the uzi-speed Pistol in lameduke was pretty cool imo. The Plasma Rifle felt weird, glad it was changed into Ripper/Shrink Ray. Mighty Boots gave Duke more personality than the stun baton too.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options