Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostGrounder, on 12 June 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

So did I and I'm sure nearly everyone else here too.

Then stop bitching. Posted Image

View PostCommando Nukem, on 12 June 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Then stop bitching. Posted Image

Posted Image

WE HUNGER

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Nah, I'm just thirsty.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PosttorridGristle, on 12 June 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grounder I was just giving you shit, man. Posted Image

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

Posted Image

then why did you register, proton?

User is offline   Hool 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 June 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

Grounder I was just giving you shit, man. Posted Image

Malcolm Tucker is the ultimate forum weapon.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View Postt800, on 05 May 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

This is for first time I have ever seen any media from Quake I engine prototype stage of DNF. Finally, but why there is so little known about it? Even lot of websites, articles neglect to even mention it and rather skip it completely and they pretend like very first build of DNF was already made on Quake II engine. But I never believed that. For me evolution of engine changes was always like: Quake I > Quake II > Unreal > Unreal Tournament > etc.

Possibly there was never a "build" using Quake engine, only models.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

The 3DR website is pretty much done - We're currently creating something very exciting for you guys, to release on the website reveal.
That's what we are currently working on, and that's why the site hasn't been revealed yet. Our goal is to have everything read by start-mid July ^_^

A little teaser:
http://youtu.be/JM06JPEiby0

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 17 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Any news on the mapping contest?

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View PostMetHy, on 17 June 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

Any news on the mapping contest?

Once the site is up, we'll get in touch with the community about the mapping contests ^_^

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 17 June 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

The 3DR website is pretty much done - We're currently creating something very exciting for you guys, to release on the website reveal.
That's what we are currently working on, and that's why the site hasn't been revealed yet. Our goal is to have everything read by start-mid July ^_^

A little teaser:

Youtube is not for hosting images.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

A little teaser:

My reaction to the new version of the track is much the same as your 2012 Apogee logo. The new version replaces the arcade-y chiptune full of character with a generic rock band style that doesn't do the original justice, either in feel or in accuracy to the original composition.

By the way, drop me a line if Interceptor ever wants to do anything with Major Stryker... ^_^

Eh? doing some-kind of alien carnage re-release? remastered or something?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHendricks266, on 17 June 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

The new version replaces the arcade-y chiptune full of character with a generic rock band style that doesn't do the original justice, either in feel or in accuracy to the original composition.

That's exactly what I thought too. I didn't even know the original song (never played the game), but I thought the original song had a strong, but also quite unique, atmosphere as soon as it starts; and the new version sounds like the most generic soulless 'rock sound' ever. Like, it sounds like it's straight off from a music composing program where you put the music score in and it plays it in the most generic sound possible.

It's mostly a matter of sound, but also a matter of mixing. Like suddenly the instruments which were behind (for a reason) are now being given too much importance.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What I miss from these Interceptor music remixes are the synth pads. They added so much to the original tracks. The metal versions completely remove them and I'm not sure why. Synth pads work fine in metal. Enhances it really. Sounds so empty without them.

User is offline   FTW23065 

I thought this was some kind of arcade taking place in the Aliens universe.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 June 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

What I miss from these Interceptor music remixes are the synth pads. They added so much to the original tracks. The metal versions completely remove them and I'm not sure why. Synth pads work fine in metal. Enhances it really. Sounds so empty without them.

Metal is the only existing genre to Andrew Hulshult...

• The Sarien Encounter

Like I said, there's lots of metal with synth.

For the hell of it, an example of metal making use of synthesizers;

In this case, melodic death metal.

And Nintendo were aware of this whole Synth Pad issue in the 90's;

They use it more as a lead here, but it's along the right tracks. They do use the organ patch in a similar manner to a pad in places. I fucking love the game this is from and didn't know they released this disc until recently... Makes me proud to come from the 90's and to have grown up on Nintendo when they were awesome.

One could argue that synth was always a part of metal, back in the early days metal was usually rather theatrical and it wasn't uncommon to hear a keyboard of some kind in use, often an organ. Again, Nintendo seemed to know about this in both F-Zero and Yoshi's Island (of all things, a Mario game).

I would like to add that I like both versions of the track posted by Interceptor. But maybe reworking it and adding a pad could work too.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 17 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Wow, I've never heard more than like ten seconds from this track before... Even though I can't say I've played Halloween Harry extensively, but I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the game either. The track is pretty nice ^_^

User is offline   X-Vector 

A little teaser:

Posted Image

User is offline   Night Wolf 

The metal re-imaginings are awful in comparison.

This is the style they should aim for, these guys did the Blood Dragon soundtrack.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHigh Treason, on 17 June 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

I would like to add that I like both versions of the track posted by Interceptor. But maybe reworking it and adding a pad could work too.

It's decent. Nothing wrong with it on it's own, I just think Interceptor uses that style far too much. When everything you're doing sounds the same you're doing something wrong. Especially when all the tracks you're making are remakes of tracks that originally had their own identity. It's ok to have your mark. Your sound. But it's got to be original too. Or at least stand out. These metal covers do not. It just reminds me of someone on YouTube covering his favourite tracks on guitar and they all sound the same. Boooooring.

I suppose it's ok for non-music enthusiasts who wouldn't notice background game music for the most part, as opposed to someone like me who writes and records professionally. I just think music can be a strong part of a game project. An integral part that adds to the atmosphere, not just something that's thrown in because it's required and expected and just made into metal because "METUUUHHLLLL YEAH! Look how cool, edgy, and up to date we are!".

Again this probably isn't really the arranger's fault as much as it is Interceptor's direction. The guy's a very good player and a decent mixer. It's just that Apogee's tracks are deserving of so much more and these remakes certainly don't do them justice. At best they're just fun, maybe. They're not really something you can listen to outside of a game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNightwolf, on 18 June 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

The metal re-imaginings are awful in comparison.

This is the style they should aim for, these guys did the Blood Dragon soundtrack.

A very good musical piece! Has somehow reminded me of Frank Klepacki's works in the Command & Conquer games, especially in Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2.

User is offline   FTW23065 

IMO, metal fits games like Duke, Doom, ROTT etc.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostFTW23065, on 21 June 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

IMO, metal fits games like Duke, Doom, ROTT etc.

Even though Duke 3D had quite a few non-metal songs and the Original Rott sound track had no heavy metal at all.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostReaperMan, on 21 June 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Even though Duke 3D had quite a few non-metal songs and the Original Rott sound track had no heavy metal at all.

DooM 2 only had one or two metal tracks; the rest was atmospheric. But I too feel that heavy metal suits those games.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options