Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   HMNuke93 

View PostTerminX, on 18 January 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Finally got an OK from Randy to post stuff again. Come get some.

Great news. Tease me to death :lol:

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

:lol: :D :devil: :( :D

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Got access to the original models from the looks of it?

User is offline   pacman 

that queen looks great in 3d. what program did they use to create those models? It was all 3d? I thought they used real sculptures like the doom developers.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostTerminX, on 18 January 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Finally got an OK from Randy to post stuff again. Come get some.

If you are able to disclose - what content can you post? I understand that 3D Realms/Interceptor gave access to lots of different content relating to Duke Nukem and eventually someone will ask.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostStriker, on 18 January 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Got access to the original models from the looks of it?

No, they aren't in the data we were sent.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 18 January 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

If you are able to disclose - what content can you post?

The kind of content that we'll be posting. Again, Fred mainly gave us stuff for Duke 3D and SW, but mainly Duke.

• Polymancer

From what I recall, they were made in a program called Animation Master. Some of the shots we've seen previously came off a demo folder on the program CD.

Hendricks266/TerminX, Just in case anything is hidden in a sub-folder somewhere, the file extensions should be '.mot' for the animation data and '.ava' for the model files.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

No dice.

• Polymancer

Damn. If you could post any more images that you have, that would be great.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Any chance you might find high-resolution renders for the level tally screens in Duke3D? Would be great if they were brought back and used as such in modern versions of the game. The VGA version of the tally screen doesn't go well with the hi-res fonts in World Tour for example.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I wonder how many inside jokes are peppered throughout the entire thing

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Honestly the content I'd like to see be released would be any higher quality versions of assets from Duke3D, cut beta and alpha content, and things that might be useful for modding and that sort of stuff.

Interesting that Randy is allowing content to be released. It'd be good if someone could organize with him and 3D Realms to work together to do a series of articles or something covering the development of a couple of the Duke games. Maybe something interesting could come out of it.

User is offline   pacman 

if we could get the original models, we could somehow create smoother animations for the enemies, more angles so it feels more 3d, higher res sprites.. (not sure how higher res sprites would look tho, maybe it doesn't fit with the retro style of the game and personally i dont like high res textures)

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View Postpacman, on 20 January 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

if we could get the original models, we could somehow create smoother animations for the enemies, more angles so it feels more 3d, higher res sprites.. (not sure how higher res sprites would look tho, maybe it doesn't fit with the retro style of the game and personally i dont like high res textures)

I always wondered since Tea Monster has shown he can recreate the models almost identically why he doesn't try to recreate the sprites using his models.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I suppose that higher-resolution sprites would work no worse than they do in Shadow Warrior, Blood and Redneck Rampage.

Further on the topic of getting the original models to create higher resolution sprites, I'm starting to think that perhaps it would be more productive to redraw the sprites using the originals as a basis, considering that making pre-rendered sprites from 3D models would also require post-processing too. I understand that redrawing is a lot of work but I'm not sure if creating new sprites from models would be less demanding, and the models haven't been found/made available yet anyway.

What do you think?

User is offline   pacman 

i think the biggest impact would be from getting smooth animations, for the weapons and also for the enemies.

notice the weapons how smooth they are in this mod, and the enemies too

now imagine if we had access to the actual models and so on, we could add extra angles and make the sprites almost look 3d

ideally i would like voxel enemies, but we probably can't have that, so smoother sprites is the best we can have without lossing the retro style. we could have aditional different death animations to make the sprites look more dynamic (notice how the shotgun guy on that mod dies in 2 different positions.. makes it look better, so the floor is not filled with exactly the same sprites)

im honestly not that concerned about sprite quality. sprite quality in duke was pretty good as it is... or maybe it's me after playing doom for many years, duke felt like such an improvement, i mean compare those sprites in doom with the duke sprites, the advancement in quality is notable.

User is offline   axl 

You mean to create something like Smooth Doom? https://forum.zdoom....pic.php?t=45550

User is offline   NNC 

The problem with the sprites is that in true 3d they look terrible when you look up and look down. Even lo-res and 4 angles are forgivable, but seeing them from above or below looks awkward, like Paper Mario characters.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 21 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostNancsi, on 21 January 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

The problem with the sprites is that in true 3d they look terrible when you look up and look down. Even lo-res and 4 angles are forgivable, but seeing them from above or below looks awkward, like Paper Mario characters.

yeah that's always been the main problem.. that's why I said, voxels is the ideal way to keep the retro style while not suffering from the paper mario problem, but as far as I know, for some reason coders can't make enemies be voxels, only static sprites... it's a shame, look how awesome the 3d voxels of doom items look!!

it maintains the exact same original sprite design but in 3d! amazing

imagine if we could have enemies like that too! :P

• Polymancer

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 January 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

I always wondered since Tea Monster has shown he can recreate the models almost identically why he doesn't try to recreate the sprites using his models.

It was always a lot of extra work and I didn't know how it would be received. I didn't see the point of recreating the models and then rendering sprites at the same resolution as what we have now. If I did do something like that, It would be at least at 2x res. I think anything more than 4 and you are going into 'Paper Mario' territory.

Having said that, I really enjoyed making the sprites for the Duke Spookem mod. I liked how you could do certain tricks with animation that isn't available with MD3 models. Also, you have pretty much complete control over lighting effects, which can lead to some interesting moods and atmosphere. I even developed a special camera rig in Blender so that I can just animate the various poses and it will spit out all the animation angles in sequence, including some post-process sharpening effects.

When I complete my classic Cycloid Emperor model, I'll probably try to do some sprites of him.

View Postpacman, on 21 January 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

imagine if we could have enemies like that too! ;)

I guess you've missed this post? :P https://forums.duke4...post__p__192953

User is offline   pacman 

View PostCryptKiller, on 21 January 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

I guess you've missed this post? :P https://forums.duke4...post__p__192953

where can i download that? or if I get it right, they were planning on updating the game with voxels but it was canned in the end? so what can we do now? ;)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Randy doesn't mind the content being released because (I'm guessing) TX and co are doing 100% of the work. Ask Gearbox to lift a finger and you're really pushing it.

I'm not having a go at Gearbox, it's great they're allowing it and it's more than other companies would do, but I'm not expecting them to go any further.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• el fundador

Posted Image
Posted Image

• el fundador

Posted Image

• el fundador

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Seeing the original real world photos of graphics used is always intriguing as all hell

• el fundador

Posted Image

I don't imagine you can share what those crystals were supposed to be originally?

keycards maybe?

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options