This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 10 September 2021 - 10:42 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

accurate

minus the inevitable meltdown whenever someone complains

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostLazy Dog, on 10 September 2021 - 10:37 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=1UtTtrwMQHI

Thanks(?) Youtube algorithm.

And yet my "craptop" (Laptop with shit specs) can run GZDoom fine. People tend to forget that GZDoom is more CPU dependant (single thread performance) and less GPU dependant than your typical AAA game. An RTX 3080 won't help if you have shit single threaded CPU performance.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

A free two-level demo for "Supplice" has been released on Steam:
https://store.steamp...93280/Supplice/

In case you don't know what it is: It's basically "Doom goes Ion Fury". Having been in development since nine years, it's highly anticipated by the community ever since it had been announced.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 October 2021 - 02:23 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNightFright, on 02 October 2021 - 02:20 AM, said:

Here's hoping for a GOG release too!

Well, it holds my attention more than Hedon does, at least. I'll give it that much.

I don't have enough experience with Mechadon's levels to know if I should be optimistic or pessimistic about the project. The graphics are nice as they are and the soundtrack being great is a shoe-in, so I'm not as concerned about those. The gameplay is gonna be what makes or breaks it, though.

Decided to play through some of his singleplayer offerings. Namely, Unstable Journey, Shocker in Gloomtown, Tricylic Looper (all from BTSX), Gossamer (Eviternity), Atlatl (Plutonia Revisited), and Counterattack (which seems to be some kind of offshoot of Supplice going by the plot description). Well I say "play through," but it was more of an initial impressions, going until I died because I went saveless as usual.

After doing so, I choose to be optimistic. His levels don't get hard all that often, but when they do they usually seem to be fair. I throw up an exception for SiG, but that was co-developed with someone else so I won't hold that against him too much. There were also a few minor issues here and there but he earned enough good credit to warrant some forgiveness.

Moreover, he seems to be one of the few mappers over there I can argue does exhibit some "professional" qualities. For one he understands what catharsis is, and the push and pull of enemy placement to have moments of tension and moments of release. Something a lot of those self-titled professionals from that cesspit have no concept of (which is normally acceptable for fan works... But they're the ones that insist on being thought of as professionals so if that's how they want to be thought of then their levels will be held to professional standards. Which they nigh-universally fall short of). Even his slaughtery levels feel just slightly less asshole-y than your typical slaughtermap. A lot more like what Jenesis had going for it.

Of course, I was unable to complete all but one level (Tricylic Looper), so they could go bad later on. But I made good headway into a few of them, so I'm willing to give Mechadon the benefit of the doubt.

• The Truth is in here

Just in case you missed it:
REKKR: Sunken Land is available on Steam since Oct 11. Purchases during the first week after release get a -29% discount.

The REKKR release is good news!

View PostNightFright, on 02 October 2021 - 02:20 AM, said:

In case you don't know what it is: It's basically "Doom goes Ion Fury". Having been in development since nine years, it's highly anticipated by the community ever since it had been announced.

I watched a bit of demo gameplay on YT, and TBH, I got a feeling that "Doom goes Ion Fury" is a description more fittingly applied to The Age of Hell rather than Supplice, although my first impression of TAoH had been that of something very derivative and Doom-like. Supplice appears to be more like "Doom with some enhancements" (ROR, iron sights etc.), which is not a bad thing per se of course.

And yeah, I'm aware that Cage is behind the HUD weapons and I guess some other artwork in Supplice so the Ion Fury connexion is right there. It's just that Supplice seems to have taken a more conservative approach to gameplay, possibly due to its origins as a Boom-compatible partial conversion.

They also need too work on the protagonist's voice. I'm watching this video ATM and it is my understanding that the inaesthetic squeals audible from time to time are supposed to be the player's pain sound (the variant heard around 1:42 sounds especially out of place to me). It appears that making the player character female was a last-minute decision -- IIRC previous game-related materials simply refer to the protagonist as an "engineer" without specifying further -- and personally I'm not convinced that this decision was not made simply because it's the current trend, because so far there appears to be nothing in the game story or setting that would be affected by the player character's sex.

User is offline   NNC 

Looks promising, hopefully it won't turn into a typical Doomw*rld wad type of game when everything goes flashy and loud around the tenth map.

View PostNightFright, on 12 October 2021 - 01:44 AM, said:

Just in case you missed it:
REKKR: Sunken Land is available on Steam since Oct 11. Purchases during the first week after release get a -29% discount.

The store page doesn't list what the differences are. I can see that it's using GZDoom instead of vanilla, but I kinda doubt that's all there is.

User is offline   Malgon 

In an interesting kind of crossover, decino does a playthrough of a Civvie 11-themed map! :D

This post has been edited by Malgon: 13 October 2021 - 05:12 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 12 October 2021 - 01:25 PM, said:

The store page doesn't list what the differences are. I can see that it's using GZDoom instead of vanilla, but I kinda doubt that's all there is.

There's the entire new fourth episode called Sunken Land, as promised by Revae. Also new textures and even some monsters I believe.

• The Truth is in here

It's missing the bonus episode which consisted of speedmaps, though. IMO not a big loss, but there are already people working on a way to bring those back, anyway.

Batandy released the Remaster of the first Golden Souls episode today.

The Legend Of Doom is the original The Legend Of Zelda in first perspective. Not the first experiment of this genre but still good. And it's another Nintendo themed mod.

Castlevania 3 For Simon's Destiny is an expansion addon for Simon's Destiny Mod. Adds new characters, maps, monsters, difficulties, and abilities. Load Simon's Destiny as IWAD and then Castlevania 3 For Simon's Destiny .PK3

For those who ignores it for some reason, the expansion for Abysm 2: Infernal Contract, Pharaoh's Judgement is in it's final release. Load Abysm 2 - Infernal Contract.pk3 after Pharaohs Judgement.pk3. I suggest to play the "simplest" first game Abysm: Dawn of Innocence before.

They are working on a restoring patch that re-insert the Bonus Episode of REKKR.
Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Still not sure if it's worth bringing back a bunch of speedmaps that were rather improvised into an inconsistent episode. But well, it's additional REKKR content still and if people feel like they need every last bit of it, I can somewhat relate to that after all.

View PostFantinaikos, on 17 October 2021 - 05:54 AM, said:

Bonus Episode of REKKR.

I'd totally be down for that. Rekkr is dope.

I finished and posted the beta of Appetite For Detention, sequel to Dynamite Duchess, for playtesting. It's a standalone like the original, so all you need is gzdoom to run it. Started as an add-on and blew up into a full sequel in a more populous world of assholes you can actually talk to. (The MikesToyBox bit will apply once I make the trailer public).

Download from Mediafire

This post has been edited by ImpieTheThird: 22 October 2021 - 07:10 PM

Oh hey. Welcome, dude! Happy to have you.

Haven't gotten around to playing the first one yet as I've been busy, but its time is coming soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Just curious, is there anything renderer-specific in there, or would either work with LZdoom?

View PostNinety-Six, on 22 October 2021 - 08:36 PM, said:

Oh hey. Welcome, dude! Happy to have you.

Haven't gotten around to playing the first one yet as I've been busy, but its time is coming soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Just curious, is there anything renderer-specific in there, or would either work with LZdoom?

Both use a lot of 3d platforms and actor spawns via scripts. If those work in LZdoom, the mods should work fine in general.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the welcome guys, btw! Nice to find some chill peeps on a forum for once.

User is offline   jkas789 

Welcome Impie! Hope you enjoy your stay here. I will definitely try out Appetite For Detention when I can.

View Postjkas789, on 24 October 2021 - 05:19 AM, said:

Welcome Impie! Hope you enjoy your stay here. I will definitely try out Appetite For Detention when I can.

Thanks man. Love your avatar, btw. Haven't watched that in aeons.

On another note. Lately I have been playing TNT Evilution on my daily commute. May I ask you guys a question? Why does it get so much hate?

Is there something that I'm missing here? So far my thoughts are that it is a pretty fun WAD, and honestly I think it is at times better and more fair than Plutonia. Heck, it does even more artistically IMO. I have seen some cool stuff and shapes (like for example "animated" monitors, and in the latter levels some drain pipes that drained the weird toxic liquid) that were not a thing in Vanilla Doom and Plutonia AFAIK.

Do I just have terrible taste?

This post has been edited by jkas789: 10 November 2021 - 11:24 PM

User is online   Phredreeke 

My understanding is there's a cultural split of sorts, with western Doomers generally preferring Plutonia while Russian Doomers generally prefer Evilution.

Wait, are you telling me that a taco person has a lot more in common with a slav than a gringo?

View Postjkas789, on 10 November 2021 - 10:00 PM, said:

On another note. Lately I have been playing TNT Evilution on my daily commute. May I ask you guys a question? Why does it get so much hate?

Is there something that I'm missing here? So far my thoughts are that it is a pretty fun WAD, and honestly I think it is at times better and more fair than Plutonia. Heck, it does even more artistically IMO. I have seen some cool stuff and shapes (like for example "animated" monitors, and in the latter levels some drain pipes that drained the weird toxic liquid) that were not a thing in Vanilla Doom and Plutonia AFAIK.

Plutonia and Evilution initially got hate because they were fan wads that got turned into commercial wads last minute, and a lot of people made a stink about it, which is silly to me.

Apart from that, quality-wise they're love em or hate em. I'm okay with Evilution but I think it feels largely bland in general, and I loathe Plutonia because they're basically troll maps.

View PostImpieTheThird, on 11 November 2021 - 06:36 PM, said:

Plutonia and Evilution initially got hate because they were fan wads that got turned into commercial wads last minute, and a lot of people made a stink about it, which is silly to me.

Apart from that, quality-wise they're love em or hate em. I'm okay with Evilution but I think it feels largely bland in general, and I loathe Plutonia because they're basically troll maps.

I never played it when it came out so i don't have the knowledge of being there at release. However Evilution does feel pretty bland compared to modern user maps/episodes. Plutonia I have a love/hate relationship. I liked it as a kid because I could brag I beated it to my other nerdy friends who knew what Doom was. Now that I'm an adult with limited time to pay games and little patience for trolling on my vidya time I give it a wide berth.

I like Evilution well enough. Some of my favorite official levels come from it (System Processing, Pharaoh (with the patch)). I especially love the nighttime atmosphere in E2. Crater, Nukage Processing, Steel Works, and again Central Processing are the levels I most associate with TNT.

I can see the bland argument, but for the time it came out I think it does stand out from its contemporaries. id clearly did some work to make TNT feel more homogenous with the official levels (compare Memento Mori, which was in contention with it during development). By current standards, or even the standards of ten years ago, it's not much. But for 1996, it's pretty good.

It's even more interesting in a historical sense. TNT was trying to push the Doom engine for what it could (while still following id protocols) to make semi-realistic environments that you could imagine serving some sort of purpose. 1996 was a fascinating year, as true 3D games were going crazy with the new dimension, while the sprite-based stuff was trying to push boundaries in a different way. 1996 was the same year we got DN3D, and it's fascinating comparing the two efforts. Not in a one did it better sort of way, but just two different approaches with different engines (albeit Team TNT probably had a bit of a hinderance given the id push and having to work more with stock Doom 2 textures which have to be worked pretty hard to convince a location).

and then plutonia can probably be blamed for all the award winning wads that consist of nothing but shoving revenants and archviles up the player's ass for 32 levels and calling it a day

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View Postjkas789, on 10 November 2021 - 10:00 PM, said:

The hate it got back in the old days was mainly not because of its quality, but because of the fact that Evilution was meant to be a free community megawad to be released in late 1995. Romero contacted the team on the day it was meant to be released and struck a deal to have it be released as a commercial addon. TeamTNT were called sellouts for this. However, TeamTNT did make up for this by releasing free community wads such as Icarus: Alien Vanguard, Eternal Doom etc. and they also worked on Boom sourceport (whose features are considered a must standard for modern sourceports).

Nowadays, the dislike is more towards its level design quality, especially towards the end. It is considered to be the weakest of the iwads, though it does have its fans. It starts solid and I prefer Evilution's middle maps over Doom 2's middle maps, but there is definitely a dip in quality towards the last 10 maps of the wad.
As for myself, I am more of a Plutonia guy, but I think Evilution has some cool stuff too and I wish more mappers built upon its ideas as well. TNT: Revilution (a community sequel to Evilution) is actually one of my top 10 favorite wads.

View PostImpieTheThird, on 11 November 2021 - 06:36 PM, said:

I loathe Plutonia because they're basically troll maps.

They are hardly what I would call troll maps. Apart from a few dirty stuff like the invisible bridge section in map02 and enemies behind fake wall texture in a couple of maps, there isn't really anything "troll" about them. I really love the effective use of monsters in Plutonia, unlike vanilla Doom 2 and Evilution which rarely ever use the monsters to their strengths.

And speaking of Plutonia, do you guys know that Dario Casali has been making youtube videos of Doom. He is playing through the community wad Plutonia 2, and once he is done, he is going to play the original Plutonia while also commenting on the thought process of designing those maps.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 11 November 2021 - 11:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options