• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   FistMarine 

View PostNightFright, on 03 May 2021 - 10:54 AM, said:

The mod doesn't get worse just because two words get changed. It's nothing compared to the brutal and ruthless censorship the Wolfenstein games were exposed to in the German Steam releases. We live in the time of cancel culture. Anybody can feel offended by anything and constant nagging will make more people join the whining until there is no other way besides giving in to the demands. We have had better trends than that.

You are right about the Wolfenstein games getting censored heavily in the past, though I don't live in Germany, so I didn't experience them this way and I'm not familiar with most changes. I wasn't trying to get into political arguments or things regarding the censorship, so I apologize bringing this up (it's probably the only time I ever brought this up on the forum, since I try to stay away from political discussions in every forum I have an account). I thought it was important to point this out because of people these days acting like that and when I read the discussion, I was disappointed this way happened because of one person bringing it up and then others complained too and Tormentor had to ultimately change (though maybe for the better, I'm completely neutral to the whole thing), so maybe it's better to do the change before the controversy becomes worse. I never said the mod got worse just for a single word change, I was just letting people know about that and to download the mod in advance, JUST in case. Also, it appears I made someone mad at what I wrote yesterday. :lol: (should have seen this one coming, maybe I shouldn't have posted that paragraph yesterday in first place, I thought I would get some support for this)

OK, time to return to the topic. Yesterday I played and finished Vrack3 (in PrBoom+) and died 4 times. Managed to finish this map after all, even with some parts I was low on health and was running out of ammo. It was quite difficult at times, some traps very clever and others simply caught me by surprise. One death was my bad because I didn't handle the cyber correctly initially, I just didn't realize the bars closed behind me. The lasers area was interesting. Good map! Much harder and longer than previous, despite the smaller monster count (around 500 monsters compared to previous 700 or so).

I will play some Heretic/Hexen mods at a later time.

Screenshots time (to really get back on topic)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Vrack3_1.png
  • Attached Image: Vrack3_2.png
  • Attached Image: Vrack3_3.png
  • Attached Image: Vrack3_4.png
  • Attached Image: Vrack3_5.png

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

way cool. Is that material paintable?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Yes.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If painted properly, put'em on etsy or something and I'll buy those lovely bastards.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Wolfendoom Blade of Agony is really good. Hadn't been paying attention to it, but as someone pointed out earlier the full release is out. Even has a train level:

• The Truth is in here

Normally you pay for this level of quality, and tbh I don't understand how it can be for free. Not that it's a bad thing, but so much effort (and time) went into the whole project that it's hard to accept none of its creators is receiving a proper reward, at least nothing that goes beyond grateful community responses and special kudos by Romero.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Somehow I didn't notice the previous post was on this page. I just entered "Wolfendoom" into the search bar and didn't check the date. Ah well, TRAIN LEVEL!!!

For real, I don't get how this is so good either. There's a donation box on the middle right half of this page if anyone wants to support em.

This post has been edited by Immanuel Cunt: 16 May 2021 - 03:19 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I wish I had a rig that could tolerate GZDoom and the massive amounts of power BoA is requiring. It looks so much fun.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNinety-Six, on 16 May 2021 - 02:56 PM, said:

I wish I had a rig that could tolerate GZDoom and the massive amounts of power BoA is requiring. It looks so much fun.

The mod comes with many graphical options and presets to allow it to run on weaker hardware. Even with my weak laptop with AMD 530, I can run it mostly fine (I only tested the first few maps though) when I cut down the visual settings.

The settings that make the most difference for me include 2d trees, Fog and shadowmaps of dynamic lights.

Also turn off lens flares because there is a visual glitch during the briefing films in the briefing room when it is enabled.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 17 May 2021 - 03:07 AM

I didn't know where else to say this, and I guess this is technically the most relevant topic? Whatever.

Today I learned that SLADE is capable of opening .grp files. As in Build engine grp files. Which is great because GRP Studio has started to fail on me.

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't anything this little program can't do. I got it many years ago solely to extract a single solitary music file from a wad (I was very determined; don't ask), and since then it's just become such a ubiquitous tool for me. I've since used it to extensively alter wad files to fix compatibility issues, build my own mods, a few years back I discovered it had a built in level editor and used it to fix map bugs I came across, or figure out really obtuse secrets in a wad that isn't well documented...

And now it can examine and unpack grp content. Sure it's probably not as useful as a more dedicated grp editor, and I wouldn't use it for anything like that, but still the fact that I can continue to examine and extract grp data (usually for the sake of checking what, if any con code has been supplied to determine if the grp actually edits something besides just episode/level stuff for the sake of using my custom enhancements) without having to download and a new program is just wonderful.

Kudos to the people who develop Slade. That program is way better than it has any bloody right to be.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 30 May 2021 - 04:39 AM

• The Truth is in here

While it's great that Slade opens groupfiles (I have given up on the ancient GrpViewer since a long time for it), internal handling of artfiles is still a pain in the ass. You can only cycle through tiles one by one and it doesn't even show tilenums. But well, it's primarily meant for Doom, so it's already a bonus to have Duke3d-related support in any form.

Oh yeah, you cannot create or save groupfiles with it, either. Not a big loss, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 May 2021 - 06:58 AM

View PostNightFright, on 30 May 2021 - 06:56 AM, said:

While it's great that Slade opens groupfiles (I have given up on the ancient GrpViewer since a long time for it), internal handling of artfiles is still a pain in the ass. You can only cycle through tiles one by one and it doesn't even show tilenums. But well, it's primarily meant for Doom, so it's already a bonus to have Duke3d-related support in any form.

Oh yeah, you cannot create or save groupfiles with it, either. Not a big loss, though.

Yeah I'm aware it's bonus, and is probably more for the sake of extracting art from a grp to use in a wad, but that doesn't make it any less surprisingly useful for my purposes.

Yet another HD, glossy work in progress project, this time for Doom Posted Image.
Doom4GZ Ultra HD Edition

Recently, BridgeBurner56 (a prominent Doom modder) had a live interview with John Romero.
https://www.twitch.t...deos/1075689896

Where John Romero answered about many questions and also mentioned that...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 04 July 2021 - 02:22 AM

Didn't he say he was thinking about doing that after the first came out, anyway?

View PostNinety-Six, on 04 July 2021 - 02:29 AM, said:

Didn't he say he was thinking about doing that after the first came out, anyway?

Yeah,but that was more like "I'll think about it" case. Here at around 46:12, Bridge asked what else is cooking, to which Romero answered Sigil 2.

Who wants to take bets on the premise? doomguy has to fight his way all the way back to Earth from Hell after killing the Icon? That's where my money goes.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 04 July 2021 - 03:44 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Nah, it's gonna be about how Romero invented even more cunning, intricate traps, and millennials who play with mouselook and jumping complained about it being extremely unfair, scary and confusing (destination of Romero's choosing!).

User is offline   MObreck 

Ah yes, the first game that got me into game modding. Back then I didn't have an internet connection at the start and even once I got one didn't know anyone that understood using the web anyone than I did. So I learned most of my early knowledge through those infamous CD packs you could buy retail. The main helpful one to me came with this phonebook sized monster full of useful info:

Posted Image
Yes, it has seen some wear and tear over 25+ years :P

In more recent years I messed around with ZDOOM quite a bit. I even made a plug-in-and-play conversion mod that will turn any DOOM/DOOM2 level that uses vanilla assets into a Heretic style stage for Heretic. It also converts Sigil stages just fine. Was a fun excuse to mix in a number of custom textures I created sampling real life photos I took while traveling around. Some videos of the mod in action:

/EndShamelessPlug

I always liked those level converter things. Taking any level and converting it over to a different game is always neat.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah yes I love that stuff.

User is offline   NNC 

Hard to believe Romero can make a 32-map megawad alone without his work getting repetitive or uninspired. I will get it instant, but still hard to believe it can happen. I loved Sigil though, it gave me something that most user levels failed to do so despite trying hard: an unique infernal atmosphere. The sheer darkness of the first half of E5M6 still belongs to my top Doom experience. Also the trio of E5M5-E5M6-E5M7 in general were outstanding.

Is he actually going for a whole 32? I expected maybe 11 at most to replace the first episode.

User is offline   MObreck 

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 July 2021 - 05:34 PM, said:

Is he actually going for a whole 32? I expected maybe 11 at most to replace the first episode.

I suspect this is the route he will go. And probably for the best. This seems like a situation were quality should be chosen over quantity. He can always make more level sets down the line. Maybe even give Heretic some love or try his hand at Duke, Shadow Warrior or Blood.

View PostMObreck, on 11 July 2021 - 06:51 PM, said:

or try his hand at Duke, Shadow Warrior or Blood.

That would be a hell of a thing to see. I highly doubt it ever would, but I would be super curious to see what kind of levels Romero would make for the Build engine and what they would look like.

And honestly, the same for the reverse.

User is offline   NNC 

It has always been my wet dream to see a Romero-made episode for Duke. I would be disappointed to see him choosing Blood, I know some rate it higher than Duke, but Duke is IMHO the more iconic game, and always felt it had better production values.

At the same time, I also wanted to see Allen Blum to design a Doom episode. I wonder how would have he adapted his style to Doom's mechanics and atmosphere.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Both of those dreams would be great to see come to life.

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Anyone remember Massmouth 1 and 2 mods for ZDoom, i enjoy them even today.

Anyway aside from that here is screenshot of Ultimate Doom on heavy drugs with 8 episodes :blink:

Posted Image

Also i remember recently i managed to beat original 3-episode registered version on Nightmare skill level. Man that was freaky annoying and frustrating but i did it!

There was also weird Heretic TC for Doom 2 well known on internet back then, but it plagiated levels from Herian megawad. Since we already had actual Heretic which was already made on Doom Engine, so it was pointless a bit.

so where did 6-8 come from?

Share this topic:

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options