Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   FistMarine 

Good news! I finally finished Akeldama 100%! Before I go into details of the last couple of levels and my overall thoughts of the wad, time to reply to earlier posts first:

From what I know, there are no changes to E1 (and no changes are planned for it) between the 2 wads as E1 was already completed. So you can use either wad. I myself am waiting for the Faithless Trilogy to be completed before I start playing E2 and E3

Forgot to respond earlier, I will play E1 first and when the whole trilogy (final version) gets released, then I will replay the whole mod. I'm just going to wait a bit more because I have to catch up with some older Heretic & Hexen wads first.

Also hopefully, later today there will be news regarding the classic Doom Unity ports.

Unfortunately nothing happened yesterday, as usual. I was hoping for an update after all that time but who knows, maybe soon there will be something interesting happening.

I have useful news for you, RD. Turns out I did take a screenshot of the cumulative stats for KDiZD.

Final time was exactly 4:56:30. Mind though that I got that time despite forgetting a secret in Z1M7 and wandering around for a second time, so it should be reasonable to achieve without speedrunning it (especially if you use saves to eliminate such search times).

Thanks, that's good news! So it turns out you must have less than 5 hours time before you get demerits. I will try my best to get a faster time next time. Problem is that I still went relatively fast as KDIZD seemed to be faster paced as in not relying on cheap traps like the usual Doom 2 wads these days and I was able to engage in combat more directly than peeking around corners half of time, though it's also easier and smoother with ZDoom's controls such as mouselook. Even then I had to backtrack at times for supplies (especially those I saved for end of level) and this costed me a lot of time as I tend to be slower in general as I must make sure to handle some encounters fine rather than rushing and risking myself killed.

It is an Eternity Engine exclusive 7-level wad developed by Skillsaw. The levels are set in some sort of industrial+constrution site areas. From little of what I played, the levels have a bit of Build Engine style to them, with the very start of the wad is inside a moving train, windows/glass being breakable, slightly realistic looking areas and bridges that are made by using portal trickery.

Also from what I have played a bit of the later levels by IDCLEV'ing, the levels are tough, but the traps seem more relaxed in terms of quick millisecond response as opposed to say Ancient Aliens. The traps do give a a bit of breathing. I am looking forward to give this a real shot and then review it, once I get a bit of freedom from real life stuff.

Interesting! Just saw that yesterday as well while I was looking for the Doom Unity port news (or just simply browsing Doomworld), I have been wondering exactly recently when Skillsaw will return and as I was guessing, the wad is targeted for Eternity. I will definitely check that out but not until I get around playing Lunatic, Vanguard, Valiant and Ancient Aliens (and all these 4 wads will be played using Eternity), so I guess I will save this recent wad for another time. Looks really cool though.

Anyway, for Akeldama, yesterday I finished maps 26 and 27, then today I did remaining 3 maps. Map 26 was alright, it seemed a bit Plutonia 2 inspired at times, I don't know why but that's what I had in mind when I played it. I didn't found it too bad.

Map 27 was really long and had some tricky parts because although there were 3 cyberdemons (and each were found in close locations one after another), they were in easy to kill locations and one of them (the second one) got infight with many other monsters past the barricade in the water (I couldn't see what was going on and far away, other than there were many monsters that were surrounding the Cyber that I could barely see), so I just sniped from far away with chaingun to finish him off. The last one was stationary and guarded a soul sphere. The level was really long and I found annoying some parts like when enemies get spawned behind you (one time a few pain elementals spawned behind me) and then when I grabbed the BFG pickup (in the other room), holy shit how many chaingunners, hell knights/barons and revenants started spawning because I ran away and waited outside and they kept coming for like 5 or so minutes straight. I tend to run whenever I expect a trap, so that I can safely pick monsters off from safer places. It works 90% of times at least, saving me a lot of health/armor and even ammo in certain situations. I think this map (or was it another one?) had exactly 300 monsters or was close to 500 and I'm confusing with an earlier one. Oh also forgot to mention that this map is actually shown in the third demo that plays in background (in vanilla/boom ports), so at least I knew what to expect early and that way I knew to handle some traps already and had a boost start before taking it slowly halfway through map again.

Map 28 was also a bit long, not bad difficulty wise, there are some tricky parts especially at end but the map is generous with health (2 soulspheres) and armor (2 blue armors) and even a megasphere present in a secret place. Just note that this contains yet another one time only secret. I had a slightly earlier backup save (good thing I use like 3-4 slots on same level) because when you lower that wall, while lowering, you have 1-2 seconds before stepping on wall and reaching that secret or else you can't reach that soul sphere secret anymore. I initially didn't grab because I was at nearly 200% health (I made the poor decision to grab a soul sphere that I saved from beginning of level as I managed to conserve a lot of health/armor until that part and didn't lose much, I had like 130 or so health before grabbing before stepping into a teleporter) and then I found out as much as I tried to strafe into that place, I couldn't make it. It was the time to reload a slightly earlier save and redo about 5 minutes of progress, though I was able to catch up in just 2 minutes because I knew where to go and I decided to NOT grab that soulsphere, instead grab the one from the secret place (along plasma cells) and then continue safely. The megasphere is found in a secret area and for some reason it spawns an archvile and two arachnotrons, good thing I had the blue armor and above 100% health, so I didn't have too much of a problem. If I knew about this, I could have grabbed it earlier and save a blue armor and soulsphere for later but I still ended up with 200% health and armor, as those were the last enemies.

Map 29 was very Plutonia inspired (the textures were definitely Plutonia), difficulty wise not too bad. The part at end was very tricky and spent a lot of ammo (was almost out of cells and rockets) because there are two cyberdemons, I managed to eat a rocket and survive (as soon as I went to take them out directly as I was running out of precious ammo because I tried to play too careful and half of time I couldn't aim at them with plasma/rockets from safe space), then I backtracked to the beginning to grab medkits and the green armor (only armor available in level except for the megasphere secret in the last area) from a secret area I discovered earlier. It still took me an hour to finish but the map was going smooth until the later parts where I had to play carefully as there were some tricky traps that I handled very nicely. Such as approaching a switch while a wall lowers nearby with like 10 demons. The map had quite a few of these traps.

Map 30 was very long. Not too difficult, however instead it has 625 monsters! And takes an hour and half to finish it. At times (especially beginning), it almost felt like a mini slaughterfest map because as soon as you open door, many revenants and chaingunners start coming towards you. I BFG'ed for a while before switch to Rocket Launcher and clean the remaining monsters that were coming towards me. Oh and there was even a Cyberdemon for some reason, that almost killed me (survived with 3% health) and grabbed the nearby megasphere. Managed to kill the cyber. There are many cybers (and even 2 spiders at the very end, there is no Icon of Sin this time!) and one cyber even acts like a turret in a tower, only managed to kill by spending almost all my 400 bullets after I cleared the whole level (and was searching for the last 2 damn items, an invulnerability and a computer area map, had to watch a video to see where they are). It was very difficult at times but even then, I somehow cleared this level without dying. I saved like crazy (as I usually do) but despite some very tricky parts (and eating yet another rocket later and surviving, as well as sometimes suffering rocket splash damage from that cyber turret and barely surviving), I'm amazed I survived this and in fact I survived last 10 (11 actually) levels without dying. I'm sure I will eventually play some wads that contain unfair maps but Akeldama wasn't as bad as I thought it will be (and maybe I was just very lucky at times) and therefore, it didn't felt unfair at times to me, I just don't recommend playing this saveless no matter what. I played blind continuous with lots of saving on multiple slots but it wasn't too difficult. It depends a lot how you handle the encounters in general. So yeah, it took me 32 hours and half to finish Akeldama. I could have finished it last summer instead of dragging it for so long. I still enjoyed it but at least half levels were far too long for my enjoyment.

Overall: Akeldama was fun and the levels in general were well designed and presented a decent challenge, I only died 14 times in total (once in MAP07, 9 times in MAP31, twice in MAP32 and twice in MAP19), so it wasn't too bad difficulty wise. The soundtrack was nice as well. I recommend playing the wad in a limit removing port at least to get the intended experience instead of limiting yourself in vanilla/chocolate. Especially if you plan to get 100% in each level with the help of automap stats feature from most other ports.

The only bad things are:
-MAP18 and MAP21 cannot be 100%'ed. Well the latter one isn't a problem as no items in the level means just 0% items at end of level but the level is still 100%'ed overall (and not many people care about collecting all items, as is the category for UV-Max in speedruns, just getting 100% kills and items). However, MAP18 has two bugged enemies that didn't teleport in last room, so that is a serious issue and prevents you from getting a full/true 100% everything
-Many levels are just too damn long and drag on forever, don't feel like vanilla compatible maps at all
-Some levels contain too many monsters each, breaking vanilla limits at times (like enemies flickering or save game buffer overflow, these issues being only present in vanilla ports, wasn't a problem for me), so if you are looking to play this megawad, I don't recommend playing this in Chocolate Doom (don't even think about vanilla Doom!) unless at the very least you disable the bullshit save game limit from chocolate doom setup. Even then, I highly recommend you to use Crispy or PrBoom+ (-complevel 2 parameter) at least!

I'm probably going to tackle Scythe next. I am not exactly sure which is the one I planned to play next but I chose Scythe for a couple of reasons: Most maps (at least first two episodes) are short and easy, with only the final episode becoming crazy hard. Since most levels should be finished quickly, I can finish the megawad in a single month at most (in the weeks I play the megawad). The first episode may be even completed in a single day, leaving the rest levels divided in a few extra days, so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue to finish it as fast as I can and moving to next megawad in line. There are a few maps I fear that are at end but I hope I will handle them fine. If I handled Akeldama (which was inspired by Plutonia and Alien Vendetta at times) just fine, then surely I can handle Scythe as well. Oh and forgot to mention that I will keep using PrBoom+ for most megawads as it has proven to be very useful so far. Before I do that, I will also finish UDTWID sometime (then prepare for D2TWID and various DTWID spinoffs), as well as start The Lost Episode (in Eternity), Romero's levels (E1M4b and E1M8b) and even FreeDoom using Crispy Doom! Coming soon in the next few weeks...

I have a bunch of screenshots reserved for Doomwiki that I will upload sometime this weekend (or next week) and I will only post the last two screenshots of last level.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 05 March 2021 - 10:01 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostReaperAA, on 05 March 2021 - 01:43 AM, said:

Heartland - an episode for the Eternity Engine - WADs & Mods - Doomworld

It is an Eternity Engine exclusive 7-level wad developed by Skillsaw. The levels are set in some sort of industrial+constrution site areas. From little of what I played, the levels have a bit of Build Engine style to them, with the very start of the wad is inside a moving train, windows/glass being breakable, slightly realistic looking areas and bridges that are made by using portal trickery.

Also from what I have played a bit of the later levels by IDCLEV'ing, the levels are tough, but the traps seem more relaxed in terms of quick millisecond response as opposed to say Ancient Aliens. The traps do give a a bit of breathing. I am looking forward to give this a real shot and then review it, once I get a bit of freedom from real life stuff.

I have finally completed this (played RC2 of the wad). The levels are memorable, really well made and thankfully have less gotcha traps than Skillsaw's previous stuff like Ancient Aliens or Valiant. Definitely worth playing.

My brief review/info about each of the level of the wad:
https://www.doomworl...um/post/2272917

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 10 March 2021 - 06:11 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh wow.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 March 2021 - 06:44 AM

"Your war against Hell ends here"

They seriously did Doom Endgame

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 15 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

Spoiler

Dragons? in Doom? is this secretly a Skyrim re-re-release?

Nope, just you with selective me-me-memory.
Posted Image

View PostFantinaikos, on 17 March 2021 - 10:39 AM, said:

Nope, just you with selective me-me-memory.
Posted Image

I can admit it, i forgot about that guy :P, But doubt i've ever thought of it as a dragon, in my mind he's always been "RoE lost soul with Betruger as a tongue".

User is online   Ninety-Six 

I always did like a lot of the Doom 3/RoE enemy designs. Not all of them, mind, but a good many. The Maledict and the Bruiser are probably my favorites (but especially the Bruiser).

View PostReaperAA, on 03 March 2021 - 01:10 AM, said:

From what I know, there are no changes to E1 (and no changes are planned for it) between the 2 wads as E1 was already completed. So you can use either wad. I myself am waiting for the Faithless Trilogy to be completed before I start playing E2 and E3

Okay I take this back. I was just reading the changelog of Faithless Trilogy Beta1 and there are some changes made to E1 as well.

User is online   ck3D 

For the lack of a better place to share this, this is a cool video covering the basics of good level design I found (from a relatively popular channel so a lot of people on here might have seen it). It's about Doom maps in particular, but a lot of that advice could apply to Duke 3D user maps as well. Funnily enough I feel like a lot of it is something that might sound obvious to most players already, but to the average mapper maybe not so much.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

These mods appear to have gone under the radar. I've not seen any mention on either Doomworld or ZDoom forums.

The Doom 64 mod is what got my interest, it's a fork of Nevander's Doom 64 Retribution but adds a ton of visual and audio enhancements as well as implementing the Reckoning episode not yet ported to Retribution.

OK, I think it's time to post about what I have been playing over the past few weeks (mostly smaller wads) but I will also say that I still have trouble accessing Doomworld on my PC. I always get the error that I can't access the website. No matter what I do (restart PC, reset router, try a different browser) it doesn't work anymore on my PC since a month ago. It works fine on my mobile and laptop but I can no longer access the website from my PC. Why is that? It hasn't happened to me before. Would have wanted to start posting on Doomworld, especially since it looks like they are playing Heretic for the megawad club and I figured I'd join with a rather easy entry (after the slaughterwads they have done as of lately). Wish that I was around they did the Doom games (and various familiar megawads) at the club.

With all that said, here's my progress for March:

I have finished the first two KZDoom wads in old ZDoom 1.22 (I have also done the last map from KZDoom series in ZDoom 1.23b33 last summer). Interesting older ZDoom wads when ZDoom was still a new port. There are some changes made like a faster shotgun and stronger zombies/imps in first map but most of the map plays like a typical Doom 2 map. Challenging at times without being unfair.

Finished Unloved (using GZDoom 1.9.1). Great atmosphere and overall a nice horror wad! Quite infamous for being difficult at times and it shows: there are times where you fight hordes of enemies and in cramped spaces. A bit frustrating but most of time it can be done easily and with saving/loading and using multiple slots, to avoid frustration and losing less progress. I like that it uses custom monsters from Realm667 to spice things up. It even uses the mummies from Heretic as well. Could have used a new weapon or item too.

I have died between 10-15 times in total (probably 11-13 to be exact). Some parts were frustrating and killed me a few times (a combination of RNG and bad luck or not knowing exactly how to handle the situation) until I succeeded somehow. I liked the custom monsters from Realm667, they were used nicely alongside regular Doom 2 ones. Final boss was easy (based on Thamuz enemy from Realm667), I killed him with BFG in first attempt, although suffered massive damage twice (his attack hit me first time just as soon as elevator was lowering). Maybe the boss should have activated when the elevator was fully lowered? I gotta say I really liked some fights and that part near end you get to berserk punch those golems from Heretic. It was very satisfying!

I followed a playthrough by Sorcerer (I think?) on YouTube and although I didn't spoil too much since I want it to be a blind playthrough most of time, I only had to look at exact location of some secrets because they can be missed and no way to go back.

Only thing I disliked aside from the extreme difficulty at times (yes I played on UV but it wasn't as hard as many people have said, I have saved like crazy after every successful encounter and used like 20 or more different save slots just in case) was that there doesn't seem to be a way to backtrack and if you miss something, too bad (though supplies are generally given exactly when you need them). Happened to miss a Rocket Launcher secret first time (around same part with an unreachable secret) and loaded an earlier save and redid the second half of the level. Also crouching is disabled which would have helped dodging projectiles in cramped spaces. At least jumping is functional and even required at times.

And yes that unreachable secret is annoying too. It contains an earlier BFG that could have helped at times before I was given it in last level. I found that inaccessible secret opened by cheating with CHANGEMAP command (after I finished the mod and got to see the ending) so I can backtrack to previous levels while still retaining inventory and progression. It seems to open after you get locked inside the castle, so there is no way to get it without noclipping or with changemap command. After using the changemap command and going back to first level to reach exit exit, it seems to fuck up the ending script and it crashes to console, so I don't recommend doing that. At least you can kill all enemies, get all items and rest secrets, so don't worry about missing anything except that secret.

Played through Hordes of Chaos X (updated previous HOC episodes and the all-new E5) in old ZDoom 2.0.98, I'm at E2M4 currently. Died once on E1M2 so far. Some/most levels are slightly harder this time around, though at least no more time-limited levels like in original versions of those levels. To compensate, there are more enemies and less supplies. I'm looking forward to playing E5 after all these years because I don't remember much since last time, while first 4 episodes are still fresh in mind, so I know what to expect most of time.

Finished Memorial wad (all Doom 2 maps combined into one) in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 with complevel 9, as it's a Boom compatible map apparently! Managed to complete almost all Doom 2 levels without dying, as is the usual tradition (though again I had some close calls like on map 8 and map 23 especially, damn revenant missiles and archvile blast rolling max damage). However I screwed up at end and died 3 times at the IOS battle because I kept barely missing like 5 or so rockets (extremely bad luck with rocket just hitting the edge of the hole) and ultimately dying in 3 different ways (arachnotron, rocket splash damage, damage floor) before finally doing it with 50 or less health.

Although most people are already familiar with Doom 2 overall, I will only say it is interesting how all Doom 2 maps are merged into one and not only sometimes there is different item and enemy placement (mostly extra enemies placed at certain points) but also there are extra rooms added between some levels for an interesting continuity and you can backtrack to most of levels (exceptions are maps 7, 8 and 21 which also prevent reaching the inbetween maps, map 7 can get backtracked near end but the eye switch doesn't teleport you anymore to map 8 and you get stuck there due to those bars that block entrance from end of map 6).

I managed to get all 4000 kills and all 142 secrets but missed 3-4 items and I will explain why and which ones were. I will first say that I did MUCH better than 4 years ago when I played this for first time in GZDoom and got 99% everything (missed few monsters, items and a secret), this time I got 100% kills and secrets, 99% items due to those impossible items. The impossible items are two extra computer area maps in map 9 and 27 (the rest are removed, added an extra secret room in map 3 I think where you can get it first time), as well as a megasphere in a "secret" unreachable room at end of map 15 normal exit and was supposed to be accessed from map 16 (another extra secret added by author) but I couldn't figure out how to get this extra megasphere. This secret obviously didn't exist in original Doom 2 and I have no idea how you could even get it. Maybe the author forgot to make the "secret" accessible.

For the 4th item, I initially missed a soulsphere in map 6 that I collected when I redid IOS fight later, after finishing it properly first time and then cheating with IDDQD & IDCLIP to go around the levels and figure out where I missed and what item, found my answer after 30 or so minutes of searching. At least the two impossible secrets (from map 15 and 27) are removed and you can get 100% secrets normally! The 30-second secret in map 27 activates as soon as you reach that map 27 part of map (for obvious reasons), so just rush there to tag the secret as you would do in a Doom 2 playthrough. Shame about that megasphere and the two extra computer maps that you can't collect in vanilla ports, only in ZDoom family ports. Would have been 100% everything. I hate how even the base Doom 2 game can't be 100%'ed due to what I mentioned previously. Apparently in initial v1.666 of Doom 2, some maps (such as map 25 and the secret Wolfenstein levels) lacked secret tags too, so you had more levels that scored 0% secrets at end of level. Sucks that even after they fixed those particular maps, the remaining maps (like map 14, 29 and 30) weren't fixed to have a secret added somewhere, so you can't get 100% secrets in them. And that extra computer map in map 27 I guess, though I doubt many people cared about getting 100% items.

Back to memorial wad, after getting that missed soulsphere (not sure how I even forgot it but I'm glad I could backtrack to it and use the earlier backup save before the IOS fight), this time I did the IOS fight in a single attempt, I was lucky to time the rockets correctly with only 1-2 missed rockets in total.

Not sure what wad to start next besides finishing HOCX (I'm thinking between starting Valkiriforce's older wads like Doom Core and Reverie, starting the first Community Chest, playing Romero's E1M8b and E1M4b), some suggestions would be appreciated. For now, enjoy a few screenshots of Memorial and Unloved (plus my issue with accessing Doomworld on my PC).

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Memorial_1.png
  • Attached Image: Memorial_2.png
  • Attached Image: Memorial_3.png
  • Attached Image: Memorial_4.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20210401_144612.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20210401_144811.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20210401_144848.png
  • Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20210401_145000.png

^That looks super awesome.

View PostRunningDuke, on 02 April 2021 - 12:58 AM, said:

OK, I think it's time to post about what I have been playing over the past few weeks (mostly smaller wads) but I will also say that I still have trouble accessing Doomworld on my PC. I always get the error that I can't access the website. No matter what I do (restart PC, reset router, try a different browser) it doesn't work anymore on my PC since a month ago. It works fine on my mobile and laptop but I can no longer access the website from my PC. Why is that? It hasn't happened to me before.

Hmm. Pretty weird that Doomworld works on your laptop but not on your PC. Are you by any chance using a VPN or a proxy on one of them? Are both laptop and PC using the same internet/Wi-Fi?

View PostRunningDuke, on 02 April 2021 - 12:58 AM, said:

Not sure what wad to start next besides finishing HOCX (I'm thinking between starting Valkiriforce's older wads like Doom Core and Reverie, starting the first Community Chest, playing Romero's E1M8b and E1M4b), some suggestions would be appreciated. For now, enjoy a few screenshots of Memorial and Unloved (plus my issue with accessing Doomworld on my PC).

I am playing through Jenesis right now for the first time. I am on Map15 and so far I have really enjoyed it. Difficulty is roughly around Plutonia level (or maybe very slightly higher than Plutonia) but with less gotcha-ness. I think this wad is a solid recommendation.

Also I recommend checking out Jimmy's other wads, including the upcoming Earthless which is a sequel to Deathless

Just watch out for that third episode. It starts to get a bit dumb. Only some of the levels though; the rest maintain a solid quality.

View PostReaperAA, on 02 April 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

Hmm. Pretty weird that Doomworld works on your laptop but not on your PC. Are you by any chance using a VPN or a proxy on one of them? Are both laptop and PC using the same internet/Wi-Fi?
I am playing through Jenesis right now for the first time. I am on Map15 and so far I have really enjoyed it. Difficulty is roughly around Plutonia level (or maybe very slightly higher than Plutonia) but with less gotcha-ness. I think this wad is a solid recommendation.

Also I recommend checking out Jimmy's other wads, including the upcoming Earthless which is a sequel to Deathless

I'm not sure if I'm using a VPN or proxy. My laptop is in another location right now, whenever I use it I'm connected to a different router and it works fine. However, the mobile phone I have connected to same router that my PC is also connected to and on my phone, I can load the site just fine. So clearly the issue isn't the router, it's something with my PC and I can't figure it out, because until end of February, the site used to work on my PC until the DDoS attacks. I only remember being able to load Doomworld once or twice in past month (just to write another PM to sponge regarding addons and updates and if there are any Heretic & Hexen or even Quake Unity ports planned, though I don't think I received any response at all, don't understand why he isn't responding) and on my next visit, I wasn't able to load it again. I'm guessing it's because of my IP being dynamic.

I will consider doing Jenesis (Fun fact: the wad was actually released on my 16th birthday) and I'm considering doing Deathless at a later time (preferably after NEIS, which is after Lost Episode), probably next month. I will wait for Earthless to release first, then I will play it. Thanks for the recommendations.

About third episode, which wad you were referring to? Jenesis or Deathless? In any case, I should handle them fine. I play continuous and save often, so I shouldn't have trouble at all.

Also disappointingly, I noticed there were no new updates or addons added as of lately. A couple days ago, I checked Doomworld on my mobile and saw a few posts asking about the addons, as well as a response from sponge saying that there aren't many plans at the moment and the addons will come out slower than before. I mean it was already a long time for an addon to get added (considering the amount of potential wads to get added, even episode replacements), now it's been nearly 4 months since last addon added in mid December and some people are already claiming that they stopped adding new addons in 2021. Personally, I kinda lost interest in waiting for the next addon to get added. Not that it would have benefited me considering I don't own the Unity ports (I don't own a console or digital versions of Doom games), but it's always nice to see which wads become official, as well as whatever updates for the unity port.

I also noticed that Limited Run Games is doing a physical release for the first three Doom games but only on Nintendo Switch and PS4. Just like with Doom 64 (and even Ion Fury) last year. Disappointingly, there is no PC version and didn't even see anywhere mentioned that a PC version will be sold at a later time. I only read a few comments asking about PC version and no one answered to them. I don't see it useful for me considering I don't own a console. Would have been really nice to own the new ports in physical format for the PC, even if apparently they don't come with addons pre-installed, according to some comments I read. In any case, I don't feel like buying from LRG anymore (not that I bought many in first place, I only bought the SIGIL Big Box and Chex Quest Big Box) considering the delays and I understand at the moment is the pandemic but I refer to back in 2019 with SIGIL for example, which took half a year to arrive after ordering the big box. eBay is still my preferred online shopping service for games and it's always nice to still find and buy rare sealed jewel cases/big box games at a good price, then the item arrives in a few weeks, maximum 1-2 months (or 3 in very rare cases). :P

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 03 April 2021 - 01:36 AM

View PostRunningDuke, on 03 April 2021 - 01:32 AM, said:

About third episode, which wad you were referring to? Jenesis or Deathless? In any case, I should handle them fine. I play continuous and save often, so I shouldn't have trouble at all.

I believe Ninety-Six was talking about Jenesis.

Because I have already played through Deathless and I can claim that doesn't really have any nasty stuff in it all. If anything, Deathless is actually a little bit too tame and easy (still fun though).

Yeah I was talking about Jenesis. With saves you should mostly be fine, but then there's MAP21 which is probably the most bullshit level in the pack. Even with saves you'll be having a rough time of it since it's a forced pistol start with barely any guns or ammo to pick up. And if you're going for completion you're probably gonna have to punch out an archvile. Berserk, at least, but there's really no place to take cover from the blasted thing.

View PostNinety-Six, on 03 April 2021 - 09:12 AM, said:

Yeah I was talking about Jenesis. With saves you should mostly be fine, but then there's MAP21 which is probably the most bullshit level in the pack. Even with saves you'll be having a rough time of it since it's a forced pistol start with barely any guns or ammo to pick up. And if you're going for completion you're probably gonna have to punch out an archvile. Berserk, at least, but there's really no place to take cover from the blasted thing.

Well curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see this map for myself. After a couple tries, I managed to nail the map. That map isn't that bad on ammo (if you manage to find the ammo secret) and there is definitely some cover (bridge pillars) to avoid archvile attacks.

I recorded and attached the demo where I managed to end the map with 70-ish shells and also get 100 kills.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 03 April 2021 - 10:32 AM

What port?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I would assume PrBoom+ given it's a Boom mapset.

Yup its PrBoom+ complevel 9 demo.

Finally we have a new addon (Syringe) for the Doom Unity Ports.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Apparently Sandy Petersen has a Youtube channel.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostImmanuel Cunt, on 23 April 2021 - 12:29 AM, said:

Apparently Sandy Petersen has a Youtube channel.

Good catch. This upload is cool:

"we do have the garage, and if full of terrible monsters!!! GROoooWL" ROFL

I was keeping an eye on a Doom Eternal vanilla mod, but looks like it is disappeared lol

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

"Doom isn't real 3D, it's like 1.5D." (1:40-1:42)

ONE. POINT. FIVE.
(Imagine an intense reverb effect while reading this loudly.)

That sentence will haunt me until the end of my days... :lol:

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 April 2021 - 06:34 AM

User is online   ck3D 

View PostNightFright, on 23 April 2021 - 06:14 AM, said:

"Doom isn't real 3D, it's like 1.5D." (1:40-1:42)

ONE. POINT. FIVE.
(Imagine an intense reverb effect while reading this loudly.)

That sentence will haunt me until the end of my days... :lol:

lol, I almost quoted that too. Got a good chuckle out of me.

So it's less 3D than a sidescroller?

User is offline   jkas789 

You know what I'm looking forward to? The map pack/user episode/whatever Bridgeburner is doing

That shit looks cool.

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options