Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

And this can run on fucking DOS. :(

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Holy shit that looks awesome.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The rebirth of classic Doom. Right. F'ing. There.

View PostZaxx, on 01 September 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

And this can run on fucking DOS. :(

Most Boom-compatible WADs can, even several of the major megawads today. Boom is a DOS source port, after all. The real impressive bit here (since it includes no maps) is that this is made using a vanilla-format DeHackEd patch, which is far more stringent in its capabilities than a Boom-format BEX patch.

Let's hope we get a dedicated mappack for it at some point. The provided ones are alright but there are definitely a few balance issues.

Spoiler

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Holy moly.

Does anyone know where that MAP24 song comes from? It's actually very nice...

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostNinety-Six, on 01 September 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

Holy shit that looks awesome.

My thoughts exactly! :(

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNinety-Six, on 01 September 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 02 September 2019 - 04:32 AM

View PostReaperAA, on 02 September 2019 - 04:29 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 02 September 2019 - 04:51 AM

I've been replaying all of my Doom content in Crispy Doom after wanting to recapture that old Doom classic feeling. Recently I finished Ultimate Doom, Sigil, Doom 2, NRFTL and the Master Levels in UV without saving mid-level and with all secret levels as well. Currently at map 25 trying to beat TNT: Evilution, also without saving mid level.

So I'm having fun doing my mostly saveless runs, and I see the Doom 4 video and before watching I'm thinking... 'Yeah... I bet this is one of those mods that will never work in ports like Crispy Doom or Chocolate Doom. I'm gonna have to fire up GZDoom to set this up and check it out.' Then I watch the video and much to my delight I see it is compatible with Crispy Doom! What a nice surprise. I'll freely admit I know nothing about programming or anything remotely related to whatever goes on in the process of making mods, but just to have it run so well in vanilla ports is impressive to me.

Can't wait to fully try this out once I'm done with Final Doom.

• The Truth is in here

Shameless self-promotion:

The Doom Fullscreen Statusbar Mod v5.0 has been released. This is a full rewrite of the entire project done by 3saster (I was testing and fixing stuff after he was done) and pushes the whole thing to the next level. Especially level stats and transparency are a lot more customizable now, but there are also tons of other more or less obvious changes which you guys will hopefully appreciate. There's a compatibility fix for Doom 4 Vanilla as well (d4v_fshfix.wad) to make it look nicer.

Preview:
Posted Image
Coming up next: Strife support...

User is offline   axl 

View PostNightFright, on 04 September 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Shameless self-promotion:

The Doom Fullscreen Statusbar Mod v5.0 has been released. This is a full rewrite of the entire project done by 3saster (I was testing and fixing stuff after he was done) and pushes the whole thing to the next level. Especially level stats and transparency are a lot more customizable now, but there are also tons of other more or less obvious changes which you guys will hopefully appreciate.

Very nice work here. This is going to be a keeper !

Doom 64 is coming to Nintendo Switch on November 22. Other ports is possible. May have to get a Nintendo Switch Lite.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I dunno if it's the trailer's fault or Nigthdive's but this doesn't look good. The visuals are just off, the game's too bright.

View PostZaxx, on 05 September 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

I dunno if it's the trailer's fault or Nigthdive's but this doesn't look good. The visuals are just off, the game's too bright.

I'm going to try and remain optimistic and say it's for the trailer. It is a very dark game, and for a reveal trailer they'd probably want everyone to be able to see it.

View PostNinety-Six, on 05 September 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

I'm going to try and remain optimistic and say it's for the trailer. It is a very dark game, and for a reveal trailer they'd probably want everyone to be able to see it.

The game had a freaking cheat to max out the brightness so you could see where the Hell you were going and what you were supposed to be doing. I don't blame Nightdive for brightening up the trailer to make it easier to see everything.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

It's not just the brightness setting, the game looks like it has some weirdly bad bloom implementation.

User is offline   axl 

View PostZaxx, on 06 September 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

It's not just the brightness setting, the game looks like it has some weirdly bad bloom implementation.

Indeed. But this was the same with the Blood Fresh Supply trailer and when the game was released, the weird bloom thing was nowhere to be seen.

What is everybody's opinion on the Master Levels for Doom II? After replaying them recently, I gotta say that I don't look forward to playing them again anytime soon. Some of the maps are well designed, but the overall quality was really inconsistent. However, my biggest gripe was with how overwhelming some of the maps can get. There was one that had almost 450 enemies in it. Maybe I just got burnt out from dying over and over because I was doing a 'no saving mid level' run of each map, but many of the them were just an absolute chore to play.

TNT and Plutonia can be quite hard, but I never feel exhausted after finishing a map. This happened to me quite often with the Master Levels. I don't hate them, and they were definitely worth going through at least once, but for me they just lack that appeal that makes me want to go back to them that Ultimate Doom/Doom II/SIGIL/NRFTL/Final Doom have.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 08 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

• The Truth is in here

Dr. Sleep's levels work fine for me, most of Klie's stuff, too. I have problems with things like Flynn's Titan maps which make you wonder often where to go/what to do or Mephisto's Maosoleum which is too heavy on the Revenant-counter side.

It's safe to say it's a mixed bag and many entries don't feel as "masterful" as the title of the pack implies. Sadly, at least some of the map authors have delivered much better pieces which unfortunately are not part of the collection.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I've always seen the Master Levels as being to Doom what Duke Zone 2 and Duke Extreme are to Duke. I never wasted more than 10 minutes with any of these packs.

User is offline   axl 

Certainly a mixed bag. I also hated the fact that you had to play them separately. They could have at least put them together in a single wad.

• The Truth is in here

That was actually done in the XBox release.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

And there is a PC mod for that too but those maps were designed with pistol starts so playing them like you'd play a campaign is not really recommended.

If you put together all your doom wads into a pk3 file via Wadsmoosh, you can actually combine the master levels into their own episode, each map with pistol start and it includes the ending after finishing the last map. But PK3 files are for GZDoom and I prefer Crispy Doom myself, so getting the master levels to play there can be a pain in the ass.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 09 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

On the subject of the Master Levels: The Express Elevator to Hell can eat my cock. What a fucking frustrating map.

• The Truth is in here

I made a GZDoom mod which turns the Master Levels into one-level episodes. GZDoom added the possibility to have more than 7 episodes a while ago. Listing is sorted by authors, otherwise you can play any map in any order. It's a good compromise. However, it doesn't make the shitty maps in the collection any better, ofc.

View PostStriker, on 10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

On the subject of the Master Levels: The Express Elevator to Hell can eat my cock. What a fucking frustrating map.

Man, that fucking map was a nightmare during my saveless run. I think I replayed that level so many times it has been permanently seared into my conscience. Definitely one of the most frustrating maps I've played.

View PostNightFright, on 10 September 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

I made a GZDoom mod which turns the Master Levels into one-level episodes. GZDoom added the possibility to have more than 7 episodes a while ago. Listing is sorted by authors, otherwise you can play any map in any order. It's a good compromise. However, it doesn't make the shitty maps in the collection any better, ofc.

Do you start each map with a pistol or do your weapons carry over? Also, could you please provide a link to it if it isn't much trouble? Thanks.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 10 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options