• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMajor Tom, on 06 October 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

You're clearly compensating for something with that crosshair. It's not the size that matters!

User is offline   ---- 

View PostZaxx, on 06 October 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

You're clearly compensating for something with that crosshair. It's not the size that matters!

Nah, he is scared of the enemies, so he can hide them behind the crosshair.

View Postfuegerstef, on 07 October 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

Nah, he is scared of the enemies, so he can hide them behind the crosshair.

In actuality, I was using the crosshair with Wild Weasel's Police Brutality: Terrorists mod, since the autoaim was being a pain in that....I just forgot to turn it off.

There is no mention of Samsara 0.3666 + Extra Heroes and Monster Mixer?

Base Roster
Doomguy (Doom)
Corvus (Heretic)
Chex Warrior (Chex)
B.J. BlazKowicz (Wolfenstein 3D)
Parias (Hexen)
Duke Nukem (Duke Nukem 3D)
Security Officer (Marathon)
Ranger (Quake 2)

Extra Heroes addon Roster
Ian Paul Freeley (Rise of the Triad)
Blake Stone (Blake Stone)
Caleb (Blood)
Strife Player (Strife)
Doom 64 Guy (Doom 64)
Eleena (Eradicator)
Space Seal (Corridor 7)
Rebel Moon Commando (Rebel Moon Rising)
Kyle Katarn (Star Wars: Dark Forces)
Mooman (In Pursuit of Greed)
Jack (Disruptor)
Grondoval (Witchaven)
Gordon Freeman (Half-Life)
Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior)
Cybermage (Cybermage)
Jon (Powerslave/Exhumed)
Leonard (Redneck Rampage)
Bitterman (Quake 2)

Old outdated thread
Still has some useul informations.

SamsaraHold
Specific Samsara version for playing Stronghold sessions only.

Naraka
Counterpart of Samsara where the roster is composed by villians/bosses of the respective games, apparently Zandronum only and the development seems to have stopped at five villians. If you have difficulty in downloading go to the GitHub https://github.com/S...Devs/narakaJunk

Find other Samsara addons on Samsara wiki

User is offline   NNC 

Now, I've been playing lots of Doom lately, I found something that I actually might like even more than NRFTL or ROTS, unfortunately it's still not finished,

https://www.doomworl...map-early-beta/

The mapset is in beta stage with 5 levels in the opening post, but in the second page you can see an older alpha version with 7 maps (only 3 appears in both versions). The scale is amazing, and the design/texturing is clean, looks like official stuff despite the flaws in the gameplay. I especially love the maps in the beta, particularly Descent and Breach. There was a massive turnoff in the Cage level for me (like the 2 Hell Knights with and Archvile fight, or another AV teleporting in rectangular rooms), but the author said he will rework it later.

The guy also created "Dimension of the Boomed", a Quake like episode which is also in the beta stage. It also looks extremely well designed, alhough I have never been a fan of Quake's brownish textures.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Samsara, plays other FPS Heroes in DooM. :rolleyes:

View PostFantinaikos, on 07 October 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

I can't wait the new version of Extra Heroes mod.

Reminer: Please, do not download the current version of Extra Heroes mod and its patches if you want try and run it at latest GZDooM, it won't works(because it's for Zandronum right now and older versions of GZDooM[pre-3.x]), and the mod's GZDooM version still WIP right now, if you still want try that, wait or using Zandronum.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 09 October 2018 - 03:33 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

The invisible sprites bug with GZDoom and recent AMD graphics drivers seems to have been fixed in Adrenalin 18.10.1.
I'll stay with 18.5.1 for the moment, as I've found some reports of Doom 2016 crashing with the new driver in Vulkan mode.

DOOM 1 cover is one of the most iconic in gaming but like many others suffer of "This element is on the box/title screen but not inside/like this in the game" typical during the artistic license period in 80's-90's box covers. The only element graphically equal to the cover is the marine uniform apart for the black boots&gloves (if you also care about that detail you can avail of the Black Gloves Edition of PerK's smooth animations improvement mod by Nightfright or the optional Black gloves in SmoothDoom)

Boxart submachinegun + dual and pickup, the single is part of the Occultic Doom mod by Kontra Kommando
Posted Image

Another variant, with also some additional accessories
Posted Image
Posted Image

Unfinished sheet of boxart demons and "normal" sized cyberdemons from a concept of a mod by elsoazemelet
Posted Image

How a completely finished frame suppose to be like (someone would like to see the entire sheet
completed?)
Posted Image

A compatibility patch created by me for using Helmet Doomguy Mugshot by Immortal Destroyer under SmoothDoom. Also useful for play Compendium compilation with compen-play.pk3+SmoothDoom without visual conflicts.
Attached File  Smooth Helmet.zip (61.42K)
Number of downloads: 330
Perfectly work even as a stand-alone like SmoothDoom monsters-only version does, but for utilizing it with full SmoothDoom you have to copy the frames inside SPRITES/MUGSHOT in the respective SmoothDoom folder.

View PostFantinaikos, on 12 October 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

DOOM 1 cover is one of the most iconic in gaming but like many others suffer of "This element is on the box/title screen but not inside/like this in the game" typical during the artistic license period in 80's-90's box covers. The only element graphically equal to the cover is the marine uniform apart for the black boots&gloves (if you also care about that detail you can avail of the Black Gloves Edition of PerK's smooth animations improvement mod by Nightfright or the optional Black gloves in SmoothDoom)

Boxart submachinegun + dual and pickup, the single is part of the Occultic Doom mod by Kontra Kommando
Posted Image

Another variant, with also some additional accessories
Posted Image
Posted Image

Unfinished sheet of boxart demons and "normal" sized cyberdemons from a concept of a mod by elsoazemelet
Posted Image

How a completely finished frame suppose to be like (someone would like to see the entire sheet
completed?)
Posted Image

A compatibility patch created by me for using Helmet Doomguy Mugshot by Immortal Destroyer under SmoothDoom. Also useful for play Compendium compilation with compen-play.pk3+SmoothDoom without visual conflicts.
Attachment Smooth Helmet.zip
Perfectly work even as a stand-alone like SmoothDoom monsters-only version does, but for utilizing it with full SmoothDoom you have to copy the frames inside SPRITES/MUGSHOT in the respective SmoothDoom folder.

All very nice stuff...and yeah, that boxart demon sheet would definitely look great when/if complete. Consider me intrigued and interested!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Guys, guys, I mean GUYS! TOTAL CHAOS IS OUT!!!

https://www.moddb.co...chaos/downloads

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

This is running on GZDoom:
Posted Image

This is also running on GZDoom:
Posted Image

This? Yep, GZDoom:
Posted Image
This is AMAZING. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 30 October 2018 - 07:42 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Gave the new Brutal Doom beta a spin and fuck, after not playing BD for around 2 years I have to say this is the best version of BD yet.

BD was of course always a great deal of fun but it had some very noticable issues when it comes to an overabundance of features and game balance. This new version, v21RC3 is feature complete, all that's left for the final release is some added polish and of course Extermination Day, the actual BD campaign so now I can safely say what I've always wanted to say: BD is balanced now! A great deal of effort went into balancing out the weaponry: the shotgun no longer works like a fucking sniper rifle and basically all the weapons that were buffed for BD has some downers to make them more situational. For example the chaingun has crazy recoil now so you can't just mow down half the world with it until you run out of ammo.

The enemy AI also got to a point where Sgt Mark IV more agressive AI can actually pose a challenge so even though your weapons got buffed a lot compared to vanilla Doom sometimes I can actually feel BD to be more challenging the than the original game was on ultra violence. Everyone got more deadly, hell, Cacodemons can dodge long range rockets now and even the weaker enemies are tough enough that you can't just go around doing fatalities on them (so yep, fatalities are more situational = balanced too). The gameplay feels great!

As for customization we have a winner here too. I guess most people have one or two things they'd like to disable when playing BD and now you can actually do that. I never liked the idea of saving marines (don't take away my kills, these are my demons to frag!) and the added extra weapons that randomly replace the originals so it's great that I can disable those features. You can disable stuff like reloading too, the amount of gore is nicely adjustable, you disable demon spheres that turn you into barons etc. Finally!

I think it's a great time to jump in for people who didn't like BD in the past. Give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Released the Pinky Demon for Doomsday.

We'll release a set of PBR textures and the source files for those wanting to use the model in other source ports.

Download: https://github.com/KuriKai/dhmp

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostZaxx, on 30 October 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

Guys, guys, I mean GUYS! TOTAL CHAOS IS OUT!!!

https://www.moddb.co...chaos/downloads

"You will need Doom 2 to be able to play the mod, along with the latest version of GZDoom."

y tho

I also wonder why they decided to go with GZDoom. Just so they can market a completely unrelated game to Doom fans? I'm already seeing it described as "best looking Doom mod". Isn't that kind of redundant given that it's a horror game running on a completely different engine at this point? Some people on YT think it's still id's original, lol.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I guess it all depends on what you view as a "Doom mod", the way I see it it's absolutely one of those since it needs doom2.wad or FreeDoom to run. As for "running on a completely different engine" there are a lot of Doom mods that are not compatible with vanilla yet people still refer to them as Doom mods. Vanilla mods are rare these days and really GZDoom is not a completely different engine, it's just a highly upgraded version of the original.

• banned!

It's "a highly upgraded version of the original" in the same way that GoldSrc is a highly upgraded version of the Quake engine and no one would call Half Life a Quake mod. Except this is actually much more extreme. It's like going from id tech 1 to id tech 4. I'm shocked they can pull off that level of graphical fidelity (and game systems by the looks of it), but the fact that they can just shows you how far these source ports have come and not much else IMO.

Maybe it's a cool game, but I think it should be judged on it's own merits without the aura of a "really cool Doom mod". That's why i said "y tho" @ needing doom2.wad. Feels gimmicky to me.

Again - it's probably a cool game. Kinda Stalker-ish by the looks of it.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postthricecursed, on 03 November 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Maybe it's a cool game, but I think it should be judged on it's own merits without the aura of a "really cool Doom mod". That's why i said "y tho" @ needing doom2.wad. Feels gimmicky to me.

That's the funny thing really: once you start playing it you start feeling that it's the Doom engine and discovering those things is what makes it cool I think. Cause you know, sure, GZDoom is advanced but the engine can't shed its skin so even though the texture resolution is high stuff like the geometrical detail is low so somehow it still feels "chunky". And while the fps is smooth it can chug a bit even with GZDoom's GL texture precaching because the data it has to load in is just crazy compared to what it was designed to work with. So you get some stutter with precaching BUT opening doors also works the same way as in the old Resident Evil and Silent Hill games because the engine just has to stop to load shit so you get these black screens every time you enter a place = you really couldn't make a proper, nicely flowing FPS with these graphics under GZDoom, it only works because Total Chaos is survival horror.

So yeah, it's cool that GZDoom has stuff like ambient occlusion and chromatic aberration, effects that make absolutely no sense if you play classic Doom but suddenly make sense here but ultimately it IS the Doom engine. And according to the guy who made this a lot of the fancy shit you see on the screen is just clever trickery instead of the engine actually having those effects. Sometimes that can show too, for example you see that the motion blur is not the motion blur effect modern games use but a primitive replication.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 November 2018 - 07:23 PM

• banned!

I can appreciate creativity in response to a technological bottleneck, but in this case they had better/easier engines to choose from that do the same things. I've looked at gameplay videos and it just strikes me as a game from 2005 or so. like FEAR or something. That one didn't have particularly high level geometry either. It was mostly the lighting and other effects that made it look good.

I think Ion Maiden and games like that do a better job of employing upgraded versions of oldschool tech. Imagine if they went with 3D models instead of sprites for enemies and weapons. Why even bother with Build at that point? Switch to Unity or Unreal. Instead, they're keeping it retro, which is the right way to go IMO.

Anyway, this is all subjective stuff so I don't want to go on about it. I can definitely see your point of view too.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not a single mention of Ashes 2063; This thread sucks.

• banned!

Now that's a legit Doom mod. Can't wait until it's finished.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostJimmy 4k, on 04 November 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

Saw some videos of that mod, looks awesome :rolleyes:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Played through this yesterday:

When it comes to the presentation it was awesome but honestly it plays like ass. The gameplay stays very close to Castlevania and for a 2D platformer that's awesome but if you convert that to an FPS it will feel like the poor man's version of Hexen. And that's just how it is! :rolleyes:

There's another mod from the guy that I've yet to try and again it looks cool but I don't think I'm interested in an early beta (this at least seems like a shooter though):

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 04 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostJimmy 4k, on 04 November 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

Not a single mention of Death Foretold (D4T) and Quake Champions: Doom Edition (QCDE). This thread truly sucks.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostReaperAA, on 05 November 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Not a single mention of Death Foretold (D4T) and Quake Champions: Doom Edition (QCDE). This thread truly sucks.

QCDE is really good for some single player QC because the fucks over at id Software do not want to give me a campaign. :rolleyes:

Death Foretold is just a shitty gameplay mod with even shittier weapon sprites, throw rocks at me!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

There's DooM footage in this one, but the actual commentary is a vent about a certain battle royale game that YouTube seems to think I'm interested in (spoiler: I'M DAMN WELL NOT INTERESTED).

User is offline   Mark 

View Postthricecursed, on 03 November 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

"You will need Doom 2 to be able to play the mod, along with the latest version of GZDoom."

y tho

I also wonder why they decided to go with GZDoom. Just so they can market a completely unrelated game to Doom fans? I'm already seeing it described as "best looking Doom mod". Isn't that kind of redundant given that it's a horror game running on a completely different engine at this point? Some people on YT think it's still id's original, lol.

What I downloaded and played was a standalone game. I didn't need anything else added.

• banned!

View PostMark, on 05 November 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

What I downloaded and played was a standalone game. I didn't need anything else added.

I just read off the modbb page. Standalone apparently includes Freedoom.

View PostZaxx, on 05 November 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

QCDE is really good for some single player QC because the fucks over at id Software do not want to give me a campaign. :rolleyes:

Death Foretold is just a shitty gameplay mod with even shittier weapon sprites, throw rocks at me!

Throwing rocks at u!

I disagree with ur opinion about D4T. In some ways i find it even more fun than Brutal Doom (throw rocks at me!). And regarding its weapon sprites, they are arguably one of the best looking weapon sprites I have seen on the doom engine. Infact when QCDE(which is developed by same guys) was released, people were disappointed with its weapon sprites. They are going to be overhauled for QCDE v2.0 to bring them on par with D4T.

As for QCDE, supporting single player is just a bonus. Its main shining area is multiplayer, vast amount of DM maps from QL and QC, improved bots for bot matches and the availability of champions from other games including the BUILD trio.

And regarding Total Chaos, I agree with thricecursed. Its a really impressive feat that they managed this on GZDoom. But if they wanted to make something so different from doom that its not doom anymore, they probably should have done it on a more modern engine (Unity or UE4). Optimization and adding more detail would have been much easier that way.

Saying that Total Chaos is made on Doom engine is like saying that Half Life 2 is made on Quake 1 engine. After all, the source engine(HL2) uses some code form goldsrc(HL1) which itself was derived from IdTech 2 (Quake 1 engine).

Only thing Total Chaos show is how far GZDoom has come and how capable it is.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostReaperAA, on 05 November 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

But if they wanted to make something so different from doom that its not doom anymore, they probably should have done it on a more modern engine (Unity or UE4). Optimization and adding more detail would have been much easier that way.

View PostReaperAA, on 05 November 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

Only thing Total Chaos show is how far GZDoom has come and how capable it is.

Pretty much answered why right there.

That being said, it is still a sector based engine using the doom source code as its base. It's a highly advanced version of, but it still ultimately is, the Doom engine.

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options