• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I dunno, when it comes to multiplayer I just prefer the real deal, QCDE is not doing anything for me that QC doesn't do better. The character roster is great but you know, what people want is not the option to for example play as Caleb but to play as Caleb in QC with all the modern bells and whistles.

As for D4T, I'm sorry, I guess the sprites were improved since the last time I saw that mod but overall I do think it is a piece of garbage. Have you played the classic levels of Doom 2016? It's a fun diversion and an interesting piece of challenge but it's obvious that Doom 2016 mechanics doesn't work at all with the classic levels. What does D4T do? It rebalances the gameplay to be like Doom 2016 and that's just a giant pain in the ass. Regular zombiemen need two shotgun shots to go down and the projectiles are so fast that you need to have always run on. No thank you, I don't want to play classic Doom that way.

And even if you don't consider the borderline unplayable difficulty (okay, that's on hard mode, on normal however it's just so easy that you fall asleep) the whole thing is just broken as fuck thanks to those stupid "completion bonuses" or whatever they are called. Like there was a time when I played that mod on Doom 2, I picked up the rocket launcher on the first level at a secret and then at the end of the second level I got an ammo refill completion bonus. Thanks, now I have 55 rockets FOR THE THIRD LEVEL so I can just mow shit down. What is that if not broken as balls (and some people say Brutal Doom is unbalanced... lol, they sure as shit haven't played D4T yet)? And of course they just had to include the shitty multiplayer only weapons from D2016 and you randomly pick them up instead of the normal ones (with no option to turn that cancer off btw.). Yes, I think I can safely say that I hate that mod.

I guess it works in the sense of being a "roguelight" of sorts where the point is that you play and see how far you can get with all the RNG going on but I prefer nicely balanced, challenging gameplay instead of the random garbage. I generally don't like these "substitute mods" where the aim to copy and paste the mechanics of a fully different game because usually they don't have map packs designed for them so the whole thing just falls apart balance-wise. QCDE works most of the time because there are Quake map packs for Doom and QC's balance is largely what Quake has always been. The same goes for ZBlood: it has its own maps so it works.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 06 November 2018 - 02:25 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

To be fair. D4T is basing itself off of a slightly unbalanced game, even if it's unbalanced in a different way.

(I mean as much as I love Doom 4, the upgrades made the game kind of laughable in the second half...)

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostZaxx, on 06 November 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

even if you don't consider the borderline unplayable difficulty (okay, that's on hard mode, on normal however it's just so easy that you fall asleep) the whole thing is just broken as fuck thanks to those stupid "completion bonuses" or whatever they are called. Like there was a time when I played that mod on Doom 2, I picked up the rocket launcher on the first level at a secret and then at the end of the second level I got an ammo refill completion bonus. Thanks, now I have 55 rockets FOR THE THIRD LEVEL so I can just mow shit down. What is that if not broken as balls (and some people say Brutal Doom is unbalanced... lol, they sure as shit haven't played D4T yet)?

U r right about the balance issue. But the thing is that almost all gameplay mods have balance problem (some more, some less) because majority of the maps are designed with vanilla balance in mind. Even basic things like mouse aim and jumping can break balance. With mouse aim, all Icon of Sin maps become trivial and with jumping u can skip entire portions of a level. Hell, even Duke3d has this problem where dealing Battlelord sentries becomes trivial with autoaim off (just shoot at their feet with shrinker).

In my eyes, the gameplay mods are mainly supposed to provide fun gameplay. Being very well balanced is an added bonus.

Though u r right that D4T having a mappack designed for it would've increased its popularity. The reason why Brutal Doom works so well is because it comes with it own campaign (Extermination Day) which fully utilizes BD's mechanics

View PostZaxx, on 06 November 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

And of course they just had to include the shitty multiplayer only weapons from D2016 and you randomly pick them up instead of the normal ones (with no option to turn that cancer off btw.). Yes, I think I can safely say that I hate that mod.

I dont like them either. Thankfully there is a Crucible version of the mod (D4T: Crucible) which provides option to remove the mp weapons.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostReaperAA, on 06 November 2018 - 02:31 AM, said:

In my eyes, the gameplay mods are mainly supposed to provide fun gameplay. Being very well balanced is an added bonus.

And that's my problem: I usually don't enjoy my time if stuff is not balanced properly. If something makes the game too easy I get bored, if it's too hard in a way that feels unfair I get annoyed.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Well this was an interesting experiment:

I meshed together Doom 64 Retribution and Death Foretold to see if maybe the Doom 64 maps would provide more balanced gameplay to D4T and while I think it improves stuff a little overall D4T just breaks too many things (like the room with the chaingun, the barrels and the pinkies on map 2).

Btw. D4T's pinkies are so fucked even on normal difficulty! Their ridiculously huge hitboxes and high HP makes it a chore to shoot them, it's the most boring kind combat I can imagine. Thank fuck that I picked up berserk at the start of the first level so at one point I could just punch through them.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I just finished Ashes 2063. This is one of the greatest games ever made.

View PostZaxx, on 10 November 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

Btw. D4T's pinkies are so fucked even on normal difficulty! Their ridiculously huge hitboxes and high HP makes it a chore to shoot them, it's the most boring kind combat I can imagine. Thank fuck that I picked up berserk at the start of the first level so at one point I could just punch through them.

Yeah they are annoying because they are based to Doom 2016 pinkies. Also after having a small peek at ur video, u switch to melee/fists for performing glory kills which is not necessary as there is a glory kill bind which can be used when holding another weapon (i think default bind key is F)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostReaperAA, on 13 November 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

Yeah they are annoying because they are based to Doom 2016 pinkies. Also after having a small peek at ur video, u switch to melee/fists for performing glory kills which is not necessary as there is a glory kill bind which can be used when holding another weapon (i think default bind key is F)

Well that didn't work and since I found nothing in the controls that would indicate a "glory key hotkey" I just settled on switching to the fists. Btw. under the latest GZDoom the mod just crashes when a demon rune runs out so it's not really playable anyway.

View PostZaxx, on 13 November 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

Well that didn't work and since I found nothing in the controls that would indicate a "glory key hotkey" I just settled on switching to the fists. Btw. under the latest GZDoom the mod just crashes when a demon rune runs out so it's not really playable anyway.

My bad. I just checked its called "quick melee" bind under the "D4T specific binding" section of the customize controls options.

Edit:
Oh shit I just checked that "quick melee" bind is not available in latest versions of GZdoom. Before this, I was checking on Zandronum which has the option.
Also I don't know about the crash, but again that may be because i used Zandronum. So I recommend using that or a older version of GZdoom (versions before 3.0)

Edit 2:
Just checked that for GZdoom 3.0 onward: in the customize controls options, Weapon Zoom is the Quick Melee

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 13 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

So, after futzing about with Wolfenstein 3D I decided to move up to the next level. DOOM. It's been awhile since I did anything with Doom. ( Re: comic.wad )

I'm now working on a map for DooM II. A Hell-themed map inspired by Mike Macdee's "Knee Deep in the Dead" Novella.

Working title "The Baron's Council/Baron's Castle."
Posted Image
Posted Image

Heavily WIP. Lot's of abstract nightmarish ideas in my head right now. It's inspired by a scene where the narrator character get's a rather nasty "tour" of Hell.

I had no idea that impie wrote a horror story based on Doom. I am now interested in both projects.

User is offline   axl 

View PostZaxx, on 10 November 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

Doom 64 Retribution

My god ! I never knew about this mod. I love Doom 64 EX but this version has the outcast levels and more. And they implemented reload sprites for the shotgun and super shotgun. I always hated the fact that they weren't present in Doom 64.

• Judge Mental

View PostNinety-Six, on 15 November 2018 - 03:09 AM, said:

I had no idea that impie wrote a horror story based on Doom. I am now interested in both projects.

Macdee's novella's are honestly my favorite Doom writing ever. They're better than any of the official novels put out there.

If anyone is interested in giving all three a read in paperback form you can buy the whole trilogy in one book here. Called the "333 Edition."

Continuing to work on the level. The level is broken down into three main sections. The outdoor opening area of Hell, the "Hell Senate" and then the Chambers of the Tortured. The idea of Hell in the Novella is that of pure madness. Even the landscape is a figment of torture and suffering. Some large unknown thing with flesh and bone and blood. Wrapping around and being pierced by jaggy rock, burned with fire. The denizens of Hell have some kind of a society, strange, bizarre, completely inhuman, but there are leaders, and there are followers. They do forge some kind of a feudal, medieval society and structure out of marble, rock, wood, and stone structures.

At one point in the story the narrator describes a section of Hell as wrapping into the sky, like an inverted sphere, and two castles, one above, one below, the peaks of the castles almost touching. When I first read that passage years back it gave me some good nightmares. Reminded me of the intro to the 90s reboot of the outer limits, with the house fusing with tree trunks.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Judge Mental

Work continues on my map. New title "In Hell I Rage."

User is offline   Cherno 

I started working on a Chaos Engine TC for GZDoom, mostly "just because" to find out how it would look and play. It looks reasonably good but gameplay leaves a lot to be desired really, probably because I straight up converted the maps and everything straight from the original game.

Main development thread here: Doomsday Machine - A Chaos Engine TC for Doom!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

User is offline   ---- 

View PostCherno, on 22 November 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

I started working on a Chaos Engine TC for GZDoom, mostly "just because" to find out how it would look and play. It looks reasonably good but gameplay leaves a lot to be desired really, probably because I straight up converted the maps and everything straight from the original game.

Main development thread here: Doomsday Machine - A Chaos Engine TC for Doom!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This is something I recently thought would be cool.

I think that you should add fog in a brownish color and adjust the skybox so that it looks and feels more like Chaos Engine. The sky ruins the atmosphere a bit, IMHO.

EDIT:
THIS is what I mean for the distance fog. You can still have clouds above the fog (especially in doom on Chaos Engine maps that don't have too much z-action)
Posted Image

And since it is a conversion from a Bitmap Brothers-game, make soure you only have 15 frames per second. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 November 2018 - 12:34 AM

• Judge Mental

Continuing to work on my next map.

• Judge Mental

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Judge Mental

Not to triple post the same thread, but if anyone is interested I am doing CLOSED testing right now on an early version of the map. Still needs a full beauty pass and a couple of tweaks, but i'm looking to get feedback on gameplay, as comprehensive as possible, and if I can press for it, i'd love to get some video of people on their first playthrough so I can see what they're doing. I'm building this in Doom Builder and testing with Zdoom. It has a custom .ogg soundtrack that I composed, so it a port that supports ogg music is needed. It should work with any of the popular ones otherwise.

Anyway, send me a PM and let me know if you're interested. I'll send you a link.

QCDE 2.0 has been released. Offers 7 new champs, new weapon sprites, 2 new maps and much more.

User is offline   Loke 

Doom 3: Phobos released: https://www.moddb.co...s-episode-1-v10

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Overall it's very impressive. Beautiful level design, mostly professional production (apart from the communicator screens and city building models). It looks amazing.

There are some problems though. Too much story for Doom. The story that is there is also not really engaging (so far).

I'm also really worried that I'm halfway through chapter 2 and I still have only my pistol sidearm and the grabber gun. At this point I should have a shotgun. Carmack and Romero would have given me a shotgun. Hell, even American McGee would have given me a shotgun.

During the production of Doom 4, things went kind of off the rails. Too much story, back story, side stories, character building, etc. The focus was taken well away from killing demons, which is what Doom is all about. This historical misstep was disparagingly referred to as 'Call of Doom'. Management decided to call time on this abomination, and 'The Creator' (one J. Carmack) was tasked with entering the den of heresy and slaying the beast. He told them that Doom is about "Demons and shotguns".

The creators of the Phobos Mod really needed to have a 'Carmack Moment' sometime in the last decade or so.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Spider Mastermind is out for Doomsday.

You need the latest version.

View PostTea Monster, on 06 December 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

Overall it's very impressive. Beautiful level design, mostly professional production (apart from the communicator screens and city building models). It looks amazing.

There are some problems though. Too much story for Doom. The story that is there is also not really engaging (so far).

I'm also really worried that I'm halfway through chapter 2 and I still have only my pistol sidearm and the grabber gun. At this point I should have a shotgun. Carmack and Romero would have given me a shotgun. Hell, even American McGee would have given me a shotgun.

During the production of Doom 4, things went kind of off the rails. Too much story, back story, side stories, character building, etc. The focus was taken well away from killing demons, which is what Doom is all about. This historical misstep was disparagingly referred to as 'Call of Doom'. Management decided to call time on this abomination, and 'The Creator' (one J. Carmack) was tasked with entering the den of heresy and slaying the beast. He told them that Doom is about "Demons and shotguns".

The creators of the Phobos Mod really needed to have a 'Carmack Moment' sometime in the last decade or so.

They outright state on the page they're going more for a Half-Life-era approach with this mod, as opposed to the Doom-era.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 06 December 2018 - 07:43 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostNinety-Six, on 06 December 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

They outright state on the page they're going more for a Half-Life-era approach with this mod, as opposed to the Doom-era.

They've said contradictory things.

and nevertheless it's still a valid complaint. tbhe opening takes way toooo long.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostNinety-Six, on 06 December 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

So basically what Doom 3 did.

User is offline   NNC 

Posted Image

I'm hyped. An UDoom episode 5?

Is anyone able to make out what's written on the whiteboard? I can only make out "5" (no shit), "Art" and "Design Notes".

Cacowards are here:

Posted Image

As well as 25 Years of Doom:

Posted Image

User is offline   Malgon 

Happy 25th Birthday Doom!

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options