• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Lunick 

https://dhewm3.org/ Is what you're looking for

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

NuDoom made me a Doom fan. Doom 4 looks so generic I'd avoid it faster than I avoided Rage. Saying it looks more visually interesting makes zero sense to me. At least nuDoom follows in the tradition of keeping it about action and fun gameplay. It doesn't feel like Quake at all to me. At least, any more than every id game (besides Rage) feels like Quake.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 July 2022 - 07:44 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

That canceled DooM 4 just went too much about copying CoD and other modern FPS shit(maybe Rage too...I liked Rage so... lol).

I...actually curious about what it would be like if it finished but yeah...it won't be DooM no matter what...
It may never better than DooM 2016...which I never finished it for reasons. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 14 July 2022 - 08:39 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 July 2022 - 07:44 AM, said:

NuDoom made me a Doom fan. Doom 4 looks so generic I'd avoid it faster than I avoided Rage. Saying it looks more visually interesting makes zero sense to me. At least nuDoom follows in the tradition of keeping it about action and fun gameplay. It doesn't feel like Quake at all to me. At least, any more than every id game (besides Rage) feels like Quake.

The verticality of the level design, the gothic architecture, a couple of the power ups like Quad Damage coming straight outta Quake.

Which is why I think the idea of a Quake reboot has almost been made moot entirely. The new Doom's have basically grandfathered in a number of Quake elements.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, the Quad Damage is straight out of Quake of course. But everything else is basically all classic shooters past the 2.5D era. But what Doom turned into with Eternal especially is not anything like Quake.

User is offline   Avenger 

Shadow Warrior 3 is just as much a travesty. It`s essentially a reskinned nudoom eternal. I basically puked in my mouth seeing the trailer for it and then asking myself why the devs thought modelling this game on such a terrible platform was a good idea.

2 franchises ruined in such a short period of time. Sigh...

• Judge Mental

I'm not a big fan of Eternal.

But... That's just a bad take. The formula is highly successful. Of course a lot of companies are jumping on that bandwagon.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAvenger, on 17 July 2022 - 08:02 AM, said:

Shadow Warrior 3 is just as much a travesty. It`s essentially a reskinned nudoom eternal. I basically puked in my mouth seeing the trailer for it and then asking myself why the devs thought modelling this game on such a terrible platform was a good idea.

2 franchises ruined in such a short period of time. Sigh...

Copying Eternal may not have been original, but how can you say that it ruined the franchise when the franchise had already been ruined with SW2? At least they got rid of the shitty random loot/enemy mechanics that was like a bad take on Borderlands 1.

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

Does anyone here know how to use sector_setportals from UDB for GZDoom? If so, then I have a question for experienced doom mappers.

How do I use the sector_setportals special to use only as a skybox?

Sorry If I asked this in the wrong thread.

View PostOpenMaw, on 17 July 2022 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'm not a big fan of Eternal.

But... That's just a bad take. The formula is highly successful. Of course a lot of companies are jumping on that bandwagon.

Rarely does mass appeal make something good. In fact I`d argue that popularity more often then not indicates a lack of substance because in order to gain said exposure you have to dumb down the product and make it less niche. Success is often obtained by selling out and granted how nudoom essentially rips off every aspect of modern shooters while presenting nothing unique of it`s own all after the point of id softare being bought by a major conglomerate in zenimax that only cares about sales figures, all signs point to this being the case.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 17 July 2022 - 10:27 PM

View PostDanukem, on 17 July 2022 - 01:41 PM, said:

Copying Eternal may not have been original, but how can you say that it ruined the franchise when the franchise had already been ruined with SW2? At least they got rid of the shitty random loot/enemy mechanics that was like a bad take on Borderlands 1.

The series was on life support but still salvageable.

Copying nudoom eternal was the final nail in the coffin.

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 July 2022 - 09:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yes because having an opinion about a game that`s not in line with yours translates to demanding others stop playing it...

• The Sarien Encounter

I couldn't care less about your opinion. You're the one who has a problem with our opinions. You're trying to convince everyone that water isn't wet and success is failure. Seriously, what kind of mental gymnastics competitions did you compete in?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 July 2022 - 02:36 PM, said:

I couldn't care less about your opinion. You're the one who has a problem with our opinions. You're trying to convince everyone that water isn't wet and success is failure. Seriously, what kind of mental gymnastics competitions did you compete in?

If you "don`t care" then why are you responding to my posts?

I guess I`m competing in the same gymnastics you do where you intentionally miscontrue what I say then follow it up by putting words in my mouth under the basis of piss poor assumptions. You`re a pretty one dimensional person if you think the only measure of success is money.

Who really has the problem? You`re the one that`s so thin skinned you take offense to any dissenting opinion that doesn`t contribute to your echo chamber.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 21 July 2022 - 06:05 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Troll harder. lol

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 July 2022 - 08:00 PM, said:

Troll harder. lol

I see that the same flawed mentality is still in effect where simply stating an opinion you don`t agree with makes one a generic "troll".

• Judge Mental

View PostAvenger, on 23 July 2022 - 02:15 AM, said:

I see that the same flawed mentality is still in effect where simply stating an opinion you don`t agree with makes one a generic "troll".

You are coming off a bit like a contrarian ass munch, though.

View PostOpenMaw, on 24 July 2022 - 11:19 AM, said:

You are coming off a bit like a contrarian ass munch, though.

And you`re "coming off" as a whiney cry baby karen that can`t handle an ounce of criticism towards anything you like so I suppose that makes us even.

• The Sarien Encounter

Keep going you're on a roll.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 July 2022 - 05:10 PM, said:

Keep going you're on a roll.

Of what? Exposing your mindless fanboyisms?

If you learned to think critically for once rather than blindly jumping on bandwagons you wouldn`t be such an easy target.

• Judge Mental

View PostAvenger, on 24 July 2022 - 11:36 AM, said:

And you`re "coming off" as a whiney cry baby karen that can`t handle an ounce of criticism towards anything you like so I suppose that makes us even.

,,,mother fucker, I even partially agreed with you regarding Doom Eternal.

View PostOpenMaw, on 27 July 2022 - 01:10 PM, said:

,,,mother fucker, I even partially agreed with you regarding Doom Eternal.

"Mothrr fucker", maybe don`t start what you can`t finish then.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Avenger, what are your favorite games and what do you think would make a modern shooter good? Like if you were designing one, what would it look like? Just curious cause I pretty much think the only retro shooters worth playing since this fad started have been Ion Fury and Hrot. Neither is amazing per se, but they're both pretty good and what I would've liked back in the day.

View PostThrice Cursed, on 28 July 2022 - 05:55 AM, said:

Avenger, what are your favorite games and what do you think would make a modern shooter good? Like if you were designing one, what would it look like? Just curious cause I pretty much think the only retro shooters worth playing since this fad started have been Ion Fury and Hrot. Neither is amazing per se, but they're both pretty good and what I would've liked back in the day.

I can`t say exactly because it would change based on the circumstance. For example, if it was the continuation of a game series that already existed, I would do my best to keep the gameplay as close to the original as possible as to not alienate an already existing fanbase while utilizing a newer engine. To be honest, there are few modern FPS mechanics that I like. Far to much gimmicky bullshit like double jumps, limiting load outs or trying to include RPG elements like stat points. I`m a lot like you in that I`m far more inclined to enjoy a simple pure experience of a retro shooter like you mentioned. However, I did enjoy the Metro series and from what I saw of the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game trailer it does look interesting but time will tell. I also bought the new Serious Sam a while ago but have yet had any time to even install much less do a play through.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 28 July 2022 - 08:07 PM

• banned!

I'm not a fan of the gimmicky bullshit either. I stopped playing Doom 2016 half way through because it got to be so formulaic with the constant platforming followed by arena fights. It was like a verse chorus verse structure of a pop song. Fun for a time, but gets stale fast. People are idiots, though. That's why everything's trash. Back in the day game companies were small like indie studios of today but they were innovating all the time because there literally wasn't a template for any of this. There was no marketing research, just a general idea of "this would be cool" and "I'd like to play this". Now even indie devs have to appeal to the masses or no one will play their game. The old days will never return.

I'm also a fan of the Metro and Stalker series. Yeah, East Europe largely wasn't so affected by Western gaming trends, so there's still some good stuff being produced.

User is offline   NNC 

Avenger is right. Fuck all of you who downvoted and trolled him.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Hot-take but Doom 1993 is the same formulaic repetitive pop song. The first episode is the best one, it just gets worse after that.

Posted Image

View PostRadar, on 31 July 2022 - 10:55 AM, said:

Hot-take but Doom 1993 is the same formulaic repetitive pop song. The first episode is the best one, it just gets worse after that.

Posted Image

I`m sure one of the usual suspects will take offense to that meme but rarely does a sequal live up to the first in a series and the FPS genre in general is repetitive by design. It`s like anything in life, if you don`t truly love it or there`s a drastic change from what you did like, you`ll get bored of it fast.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 31 July 2022 - 11:03 AM

• banned!

I mean I was never into Doom 2 for this reason. It's just more of the same. Also hideous and abstract level design. They got it right in the first game.

Share this topic:

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options