Duke4.net Forums: The Sale & Free Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sale & Free Thread  "Post here when there's a sale for games that people here want to b"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Syndicate Plus, Syndicate Wars and both Ultima Underworld games are free until 3 September at GOG.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

They're also free on Origin.

User is offline   deus-ex 

Quake II RTX free on GOG until 23rd August 2021, 1 PM UTC.

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 20 August 2021 - 09:05 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Are you sure it's only free until the 23rd and not forever? It's free on Steam permanently. It only comes with 3 levels so I can't imagine they're going to charge for it? I don't see any info on the store page about a time limit.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 August 2021 - 02:51 PM

The newsletter announcing the current sale, which also adverts free access Quake II RTX, had this expiration date at the end of the message. So I figured perhaps the free access to Q2RTX is a time-limited offer. Better safe than sorry, get it while it's hot.

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 20 August 2021 - 09:46 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

If they charge for it while it's free on Steam, that's a pretty low move. I think more likely the timer sale is for everything else and Q2RTX was just added along with it but will remain free. But you're right, better safe than sorry. Though you're not really missing anything as you can still get it free on Steam after.

Far Cry 3 to claim for free at Ubisoft until September 11th at 08:30 am.

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

Surviving Mars free on Steam until September 9 at 3:00am

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 August 2021 - 06:22 AM, said:

Coughs in quake live

• The Sarien Encounter

Available on Prime Gaming for free:
Star Wars Squardons (through Origin)
Ghostrunner (through GOG)
Alien Isolation (through Epic)
There's also the four Wallace & Gromit Telltale episodes just through Amazon.

https://gaming.amazon.com/home

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

Call of Juarez Gunslinger free on Steam until december 14th.
https://store.steamp...rez_Gunslinger/

User is offline   Gargoyle 

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream on GOG until the 25th at 2 pm. Merry Christmas!

User is offline   Malgon 

The recent Tomb Raider trilogy is free through Epic for those interested.

https://www.epicgame...n-US/free-games

Postal 2 is free to keep at GOG.com for 23h

• The Sarien Encounter

Amnesia Rebirth and Riverbond are free on Epic.

User is offline   jkas789 

Daggerfall Unity is currently free along with some chosen mods included in the install.

Don't you dare not get it kids. Daggerfall Unity is amazing.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is also free on GOG and that one is also a fun platformer.

View Postjkas789, on 15 June 2022 - 08:25 PM, said:

It's nice that they're offering DFU with pre-installed mods, but the phrase "currently free" is potentially confusing as DFU is and (I suppose) should always be free.

I'm also not entirely happy that new users are getting introduced to Daggerfall via DFU. There are still too many differences in playing mechanics compared to the DOS vanilla. I remember how some people criticised BloodCM for a similar reason here, that it did not play like the original Blood.

My current stance on DFU is that its main strong point lies in limitless moddability, and all the various mods and enhancements that come with it. But a 1:1 recreation of vanilla experience it is not, which is kind of a shame. I wish @luciusDXL would revive the DaggerXL project at some point.

• The Sarien Encounter

I think the vanilla experience of DF is why it's not very approachable. I know oldschoolers are in love with it, but it's not going to get people to play it. As I understand it though, it only controls differently. The game's behaviour is the same (apart from the mods in this specific release I suppose). But you can disable those mods at will too so I don't see this as as big an issue in that light.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 June 2022 - 11:01 PM, said:

I know oldschoolers are in love with it, but it's not going to get people to play it. As I understand it though, it only controls differently.

Weapon swinging works quite differently, from my experience the default classes (at least, some of them) are harder to play with this than vanilla DF. I know most regular players don't go for default classes anyway, but I guess new players would pick a default one over making a custom class.

The only kind-of fix is to switch DFU to Morrowind-esque weapon swinging per mouse click, but to me that is basically a step towards being a different game.

I don't believe that other DFU QoL improvements -- if you don't count high resolution and overall improved visuals -- alter or improve gameplay so much that vanilla would seem less playable to new players in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with a lot of things in DFU, and especially how the mods enhance and improve the playing experience. But I'm a purist in the sense that I'd like the unaltered original thing to be available as well, alongside any mods and upgrades that the community might have created. So far, DFU does not offer the unaltered original experience, and it makes one wonder if players who've been introduced to DF via DFU would ever want it. Contrast this with EDuke32 vs. DOS DUKE3D.EXE, they are identical gameplay-wise in all aspects. And as far as I can tell, The Force Engine is also identical to DOS Dark Forces in a similar way as Eduke32 is to DOS DUKE3D, even though not being based directly on the source code.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

been a minute since i've played daggerfall.
Via dosbox.
My favorite memory was some bug that had to do with modern file systems and an amulet needed for progressing the game couldn't be picked up if the computer didn't have 3 or more partitions.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostMrFlibble, on 17 June 2022 - 11:16 AM, said:

Weapon swinging works quite differently, from my experience the default classes (at least, some of them) are harder to play with this than vanilla DF. I know most regular players don't go for default classes anyway, but I guess new players would pick a default one over making a custom class.

The only kind-of fix is to switch DFU to Morrowind-esque weapon swinging per mouse click, but to me that is basically a step towards being a different game.

I don't believe that other DFU QoL improvements -- if you don't count high resolution and overall improved visuals -- alter or improve gameplay so much that vanilla would seem less playable to new players in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with a lot of things in DFU, and especially how the mods enhance and improve the playing experience. But I'm a purist in the sense that I'd like the unaltered original thing to be available as well, alongside any mods and upgrades that the community might have created. So far, DFU does not offer the unaltered original experience, and it makes one wonder if players who've been introduced to DF via DFU would ever want it. Contrast this with EDuke32 vs. DOS DUKE3D.EXE, they are identical gameplay-wise in all aspects. And as far as I can tell, The Force Engine is also identical to DOS Dark Forces in a similar way as Eduke32 is to DOS DUKE3D, even though not being based directly on the source code.

https://www.gog.com/...r_ii_daggerfall

Daggerfall is also free on gog and has been that way for awhile

View PostBalls of Steel Forever, on 28 July 2022 - 07:42 PM, said:

https://www.gog.com/...r_ii_daggerfall

Daggerfall is also free on gog and has been that way for awhile

IIRC for a good while it had only been available as a free bonus with purchase of any Bethesda game. But this does not matter because it's been completely free to download without any game store account straight from BethSoft, from where it spread to fan sites like UESP.net.

If a user does not wish to fiddle with DOSBox and set up the game themselves, DaggerfallSetup is likely the preferred version to use, as it includes the option to install most of the important community patches and fixes too. I'm not even sure if the GOG release is patched to the latest version of the game, but I haven't checked in a while.

DOOM 64 is free on Epic Games, grab it before August 25th.

• The Sarien Encounter

<delete>

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 August 2022 - 08:15 AM

Master of Magic Classic is free on GOG until October 2.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 29 September 2022 - 12:32 PM

The Sims 4 is now f2p on Steam.
https://store.steamp...670/The_Sims_4/
The eighty thousand dlc are not, because of course.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 18 October 2022 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Fallout 3 GOTY Edition is free at the moment at Epic:
https://store.epicga...he-year-edition

• The Sarien Encounter

Despite claims to the contrary, FO3 GOTY on Epic apparently is moddable if you "downgrade the EXE with the anniversary patcher"? (or so I read)

Also, Evoland is also free and that's a really really cool concept of a game. And it comes with the sequel. Highly reccomemd.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 October 2022 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

The Dark Souls series is currently on sale at Steam.

The deluxe edition of Dark Souls 3 is 50% off!

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options