Duke4.net Forums: The Sale & Free Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sale & Free Thread  "Post here when there's a sale for games that people here want to b"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostRunningDuke, on 09 August 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

Quake is free during the QuakeCon event, if you log in on the Bethesda.net launcher, as NightFright pointed out on Quake corner thread.

Apparently Quake 2 and 3 will be free as well in the upcoming days (should be announced soon when exactly). I made an account on Bethesda.net few days ago and grabbed Quake when QuakeCon event started (just to check which version they have, was hoping they remastered the game) and noticed it is the latest version (quake.exe 1.08 and GLQuake/WinQuake 1.09), almost identical to the install directory from my original Quake CD, with exception of 3 extra files in the directory and the fact the files have the modified date of the downloaded time (which is similar to Steam).

And still no soundtrack. Which keeps the GOG release as the best version available because it has the original CD ISO image (tracks and all).

Another benefit of the GOG release is that it includes patched executables for WinQuake and GlQuake so they can reproduce OGG music files. In light of ports like MarkV being on hold, having the option to play Quake in it's official port with OGG support is nice.

Also, if you own the steam version, somebody made a patch to restore the music and add the patched GOG clients. Should also work for any quake install. It makes a few other changes for vanilla restoration purposes so keep that in mind. It also can conflict with Quakespasm so make sure to install it in a different quake folder.

User is offline   FistMarine 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 August 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

And still no soundtrack. Which keeps the GOG release as the best version available because it has the original CD ISO image (tracks and all).

Yeah, it's sad that only the GOG version comes with the soundtrack, mostly due to legal reasons (I understand that GOG release at least included the CD ISO images), though I don't own the Steam and GOG versions, as I already own like 5 copies of Quake, two of which are from old CDs with games (Quake Registered 1.01 which is on same games CD with Duke3D 1.3D, etc and is what I often played as kid, as well as a shareware 0.91 which I discovered few years later on a shareware games CD and found it interesting to look at and compare differences, such as the different font and menus) and 3 of which are my original copies that I got in last 5 or so years:
-1.06 registered from id anthology (I have only the Book of ID with the 4 CDs, the id anthology as a whole is very rare and too expensive to afford);
-1.08 registered CD with WinQuake and GLQuake
-1.08 registered CD with WinQuake and GLQuake, included in Ultimate Quake bundle (that also comes with Quake 2 and 3)

The Bethesda.net version is yet another quake.exe 1.08 + GLQuake/WinQuake 1.09 release, meaning not useful for me at the moment but I hope it will be useful in the future if they decide to finally remaster Quake like they remastered the Doom games. That way I won't have to buy the game I already own (and multiple times). :)

View PostPutrid Pete, on 09 August 2020 - 10:29 AM, said:

Another benefit of the GOG release is that it includes patched executables for WinQuake and GlQuake so they can reproduce OGG music files. In light of ports like MarkV being on hold, having the option to play Quake in it's official port with OGG support is nice.

Also, if you own the steam version, somebody made a patch to restore the music and add the patched GOG clients. Should also work for any quake install. It makes a few other changes for vanilla restoration purposes so keep that in mind. It also can conflict with Quakespasm so make sure to install it in a different quake folder.

Interesting. I didn't know the GOG version has patched WinQuake and GLQuake executables. However I think the best way to play Quake nowadays is to use QuakeSpasm port, download the already ripped music from Quaddicted (the same site that has 1000+ custom maps) and put in Quakespasm folder and then you will have a better time. I should try that as in last years, I mostly played the game in WinQuake (QUAKE.EXE runs like crap in DOSBox sadly, at least if playing on default resolution) and didn't bother with installing music before and never experienced music in Quake 1 before, only listened to it on YouTube. When I finally got original CDs in last past decade, I didn't bother with having CD in drive while playing as I didn't want to always use the CD as it gets scratched, plus I read that on newer OSes the CD music doesn't loop properly. Oh and I remember when I did get Quake 2 as kid (back in 2002-2003) as birthday present, an original XPLOSIV copy that parents bought from the local store, I used to play the game directly from the CD and listened to the kick-ass music (I think that Quake 2 had the best soundtrack from the Quake games) but since then, whenever I played Quake 2, I only played with game already installed on PC and never got to listen to the music again, except on YouTube. I really should set up the first two Quake games properly, as half the fun is having music installed. I just never understood why they chose to have the music on CD. Can someone explain what were the benefits of that compared to having music inside game files?

Also if you want, we should continue the discussion in the Quake corner.

Quake 2 will be free later today and Quake 3 will be free on 17th. Each game will be free for 3 days on the Bethesda.net launcher. I'm guessing they will also be just the base game (no expansions) and latest version. A bit disappointing that no expansions will be given away, considering they are rather rare (I only own a copy of each expansion, while I have at least 2 copies of each Quake game) and not many people got to play them. I thought that all the official mission packs are just as good as the base game, especially Quake 1 mission packs which are on par with the main game.

Here is the tweet that announced the dates:
https://twitter.com/...875834462806017

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostRunningDuke, on 12 August 2020 - 04:34 AM, said:

A bit disappointing that no expansions will be given away, considering they are rather rare

Uh, the expansions are on Steam and are included with the GOG versions,.

View PostLunick, on 12 August 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

Uh, the expansions are on Steam and are included with the GOG versions,.

A bit disappointing that no expansions will be given away, considering they are rather rare (I only own a copy of each expansion, while I have at least 2 copies of each Quake game) and not many people got to play them.

I know that the expansions are on GOG and Steam. I was mostly referring in terms of physical copies, I myself have physical copies of the Quake games and expansions (and the recent Bethesda.net copies of first two Quake games) and I know some of the expansions are not very often found on eBay. For instance I never owned Quake 2: Extremities (it's not included in Quake 4 Special Edition which I have and the eBay listings of it tend to be at least 40-50 dollars just for the CD in jewel case) and I realize it's just a bunch of multiplayer mods but it's always nice to have, speaking as a collector (though I'm not a hardcore collector, I only collect the games I'm interested in, I am fine with a copy in Very Good condition at least and at a good price). Even if you were to suggest me to get the GOG version (steam version doesn't have Extremities), I fail to see why I should get the GOG version only for extremities and if I'm not mistaken, all those mods are still available as a free download.

I was also referring to the fact that the expansions are often overlooked. To me the complete Quake experience is not only the base game but also the expansions and even certain mods/unofficial expansions that are a must play. I have played and completed the base Quake games (1, 2 and 3, never finished 4) as a kid many times and even in last few years I have completed them once again. I very rarely played and completed the expansions and when I finally got to play them for first time, I realized how much I missed and people often skip them altogether, which is a bad idea because for me they are a must play. At least they bring something new to table as well (new monsters, new weapons, new items), unlike the so-called Doom expansions that are just new levels (though they also contain new textures, new music). I don't know, I just found all official Quake expansions (Quake 1 & 2 mission packs, as well as Quake 3 Team Arena) to be really good and worth buying and playing, while Master Levels and Final Doom were lame cash grabs. They weren't bad, just not particularly impressive and didn't bring anything new to the table. Still worth playing as a hardcore Doom fan.

To not drag the discussion further, I suggest we should continue in the Quake corner. I might as well post in that topic about what Quake games I have been playing these days.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 12 August 2020 - 09:30 PM

Serious Sam: The First Encounter is on a free giveaway on gog.com
Here is the link: https://www.gog.com/...first_encounter

User is offline   deus-ex 

"The Division" currently free on Ubisoft Store until September 8th. Uplay account required.

Far Cry 3 is free as well, but you have to obtain it on the chinese version of Ubisoft website.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 01 September 2020 - 10:38 AM, said:

Far Cry 3 is free as well, but you have to obtain it on the chinese version of Ubisoft website.

And how do you do it? xD Asks for an activation code and I don't understand chinese.

• The Sarien Encounter

I just copied and pasted in Google Translate. It just wanted me to verify my account by giving me a number code texted to my phone. Then I could redeem it no problem.

EDIT: Oh wait, maybe not. It seemed to have worked, but it's not in my library. Even though it said it redeemed fine.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

View PostTekedon, on 01 September 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

And how do you do it? xD Asks for an activation code and I don't understand chinese.

If you already own an account, that should be something to verify your account on the phone, if you push the button at the bottom it skip it and will add the game to your library without make yourself login.
Try Google translate or something to get some hint Posted Image

EDIT: Nevermind, MI already replied to you.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 01 September 2020 - 11:56 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Ahh I see now. It's asking for an activation code after you "redeem it" on the website when it launches UPlay. I can't figure it out either. It probably sees that I'm not in China and it's just asking for an activation code because I have no rights to it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 September 2020 - 12:04 PM, said:

Ahh I see now. It's asking for an activation code after you "redeem it" on the website when it launches UPlay. I can't figure it out either. It probably sees that I'm not in China and it's just asking for an activation code because I have no rights to it.

I went to the link via my phone instead and it asked me to log in and NOW it is in my library, downloading right now :)

• The Sarien Encounter

Yep! Logging in on my phone did it.

User is offline   Sanek 

I don't know whether it's something temporary or not, but I just noticed that Death Rally (Classic) become free on Steam:

https://store.steamp...tor_clanid=5161

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Death Rally has been free for quite some time already (notes say since 2009, actually). You can get the Windows installer outside Steam as well, e.g. here.

User is offline   Sanek 

Yes, I'm aware that Death Rally can be downloaded for free, legally, on a number of sites. However, 3DR continuted to charge money for it on Steam up until recently so I posted it here.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 12 September 2020 - 05:45 AM

It did? I thought that it was free everywhere, not sure though.

User is offline   Gargoyle 

Did they ever digitally sell/give the original DOS version? Preferred that one over the Windows version because it had multiplayer!

I believe they only freeware'd the Windows port, but I have no idea about multiplayer.

User is offline   deus-ex 

Quoted from the included ReadMe:

Multiplayer: Unfortunately one of the best aspects of Death Rally, multiplayer, is not available in this release. It was built for the modem and IPX network era, and would have needed a full rewrite. That was sadly out of the scope on what we could do with this free release.

The original DOS version was never released as a freeware product.

This post has been edited by deus-ex: 12 September 2020 - 02:26 PM

You can still have the DOS shareware version, but I never checked out how MP works in it.

Watch Dogs 2 and Football Manager 2020 (if somebody care about this one) are now free to keep on Epicgames.

User is offline   Sanek 

Now THAT'S what I call a DISCOUNT:
Attached Image: DISCOUNT.jpg

Sorry it's not a real sale, just a lot on ebay I was looking for. : :)

SEGA games and bundles are heavily dicounted on Steam, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is free to keep 'til October 19.

Europa Universalis II is currently free on GOG for a limited time.

User is offline   jkas789 

Octave is free on IndieGala. It's mostly meh in my opinion but if you are hurting for a distraction you could do worse. E.G. Playing Duke Nukem Forever...

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Octopath Traveler is 1/2 off on steam

User is offline   Malgon 

Blair Witch and Ghostbusters: The Videogame Remastered are both free this week on the Epic Games Store.

https://www.epicgame...n-US/free-games

This post has been edited by Malgon: 29 October 2020 - 10:27 PM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options