• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postxenoxols, on 10 September 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I'm not saying don't use the low-res stuff, I just want an option not to use it.

Feel free to customize the mod yourself.

User is offline   blueskirt 

View PostFox, on 10 September 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

No. At first I thought about not even including the lower resolution graphics, but upon further consideration I realized that it would be for the best to get closer to the original as possible. The reason is because some lower resolution graphics are user in the maps or affect the gameplay (i.e. the Drone and Battlelord are of different sizes), and there's no way to objectively separate what should or not be included.

I am not sure how using higher quality assets for the weapons would impact the gameplay.

I don't wanna sound like a dick or anything, there are no words strong enough to describe how grateful I am for all the time and effort you and everyone else who's been involved in code messing, memory dumping, porting, tweaking, testing and fine tuning of this baby, I've been waiting for a project like this to see the light of day ever since I got into Duke 3D close to a decade ago, you've all done a fantastic work and I cannot wait to play this mod.

What bugs me however is that, even if this mod was released tomorrow, I would still have to wait another bunch of weeks/months until another nice dude patched the mod to fix some issues with that were left in this mod for the sake of staying as close to the original version as possible (like the lower quality weapon assets and the Keef phasing through the floor every now and then), when for some reason you seem perfectly fine throwing this fidelity out the window when it comes to the control scheme, the different GUI and the remixed tracks.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work, and thanks again for Total Meltdown and also the N64 to PC port.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Though these are not things that need to be patched, they are part of the original artwork. Even the original Duke 3D has a long list of visual glitches, which people grew used to. The Cyber Keef clipping the floor is a lesser problem compared to the misaligned Freezethrower. Although the same would apply to the tracks, they are an exception because the remixes were created by the original author.

User is offline   NNC 

View Postxenoxols, on 10 September 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I'm not saying don't use the low-res stuff, I just want an option not to use it.

Indeed. None of us want the pointless stuff from TM. It got poor reviews because of them.

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

Well, we are free to personally customize the mod.

Though a thought came to mind about the low-res stuff. What about separating the new episode and it's assets into one file and have the low-res assets in another file, so that for those who wish to play with the low-res stuff can keep the file and for those who don't could just simply delete the file.

I'm not saying it's a must but just an idea.

This post has been edited by Mav3r1ck: 12 September 2015 - 05:35 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostNancsi, on 12 September 2015 - 02:12 AM, said:

Indeed. None of us want the pointless stuff from TM. It got poor reviews because of them.

Absolutely not, the quality of the graphics are perfectly acceptable for a port like that. It got bad reviews because of the complicated controls and frame rate.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostFox, on 12 September 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

Absolutely not, the quality of the graphics are perfectly acceptable for a port like that. It got bad reviews because of the complicated controls and frame rate.

For a console just only have 2MB main RAM(+1MB video RAM), I would say its quality was fitted well. But its controls just...unspeakable dreadful...low fps made it worse as hell...even that PSX-only episode just can't attract me to love DNTM at all. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 September 2015 - 11:16 PM

DN64 was the first for me and then finally I got a hold of DNTM and liked it a hell of a lot better then DN64, even the controls and choppy graphics weren't enough to keep me away and finally I got the atomic edition, duke 3d and plutonia pak disks. :)

I won't even touch DNTM, and even more so now that this mod will be released in the future.

User is offline   nukemania 

Ironically, I found the Doomed control config the easiest and most comfortable to use. Probably because it resembles PSX Doom's controls a lot. Nothing could be said to save it about its framerate, though, and it seems way worse for me than all others I've seen on youtube.

User is offline   Darkus 

It's been a while since I have not come here... But I also managed to rip some maps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

Impressive. Now you have to recreate the GSPEED and CYCLER sprites.

User is offline   Lunick 

Oh boy the thread was bumped.... oh
Posted Image

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostFox, on 22 October 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

Impressive. Now you have to recreate the GSPEED and CYCLER sprites.

For GSPEED it's easy, only need to create gspeed sprites and give lotag to same sector's EXTRA value.

But for CYCLER, no other choice to observe original maps and reproduce the same light sequences...

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDarkus, on 22 October 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

But for CYCLER, no other choice to observe original maps and reproduce the same light sequences...

Whether you ripped the maps from RAM or disk, there is also a cyclers array alongside sprites, walls, and sectors.

User is offline   Fox 

And you have to change the cstat of mirrors based on the premap data, since the information is not in the maps.

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Not to mention that programmatically creating sprites within a sector's bounds is harder to get right in all cases than it sounds.

User is offline   NNC 

Blabla.

i hope progress is still going good on this mod. feels like "forever" since anything was last posted or any updates were given. and i'm looking forward to the day when this is finally released and i can play it, specially the new episode 4 replacement

User is offline   Fox 

Posted Image

User is offline   Steve 64 

I'm about to play that game next week ordered it yesterday.

This is a long wait. What exactly is the problem?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostFox, on 19 January 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Been working on this now that the maps have been ripped. I call it "Lite" because I don't intend to make it with all texture and sounds replacements, only the entirely new ones.

Posted Image

Coming in 7 days.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 12 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

AWESOME! :thumbsup:

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMav3r1ck, on 13 January 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

AWESOME! :thumbsup:

I think he means this threads second birthday is in 7 days.

View PostDrek, on 13 January 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

I think he means this threads second birthday is in 7 days.

Yeah, I feel silly now.

http://images.akamai...74F9BB9F2F5BF3/

what's this button suppose to do on Nightmare Zone?

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 04 March 2016 - 07:00 PM

User is offline   nsnake 

The mod is dead? :whistling:
http://www.moddb.com...al-meltdown-mod

The ModDB page is located here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dntm

sure is taking it's sweet ass time though. i pretty much have a little addon episode mod for now with the usermaps since the mod is still not out yet. even after 2 years. and i'm guessing it's cause of the stupid android release, which no one is gonna get. it's like the mod is being held hostage or something when it's clearly ready to go. you know. i think that a little addon episode mod for Plug & Pray should be released where it's using the actual maps, the actual textures. and maybe even the enemies. like a little something to enjoy while the mod is still being held up for reasons that are most likely stupid as hell. like a TM Beta Mod version or something

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 05 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options