Duke4.net Forums: Favorite Microsoft Windows OS? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite Microsoft Windows OS?  "Got any stories of your memories of them?"

Poll: Pick the OS's that'll apply. (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Windows OS?

1. Windows 3.1 (8 votes [9.41%])

Percentage of vote: 9.41%

2. Windows 95 (8 votes [9.41%])

Percentage of vote: 9.41%

3. Windows 98/SE (10 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. Windows ME (1 votes [1.18%])

Percentage of vote: 1.18%

5. Windows NT/2000 (3 votes [3.53%])

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

6. Windows XP (17 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

7. Windows Vista (1 votes [1.18%])

8. Windows 7 (31 votes [36.47%])

Percentage of vote: 36.47%

9. Windows 8/8.1 (5 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

10. Windows 10 (1 votes [1.18%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

My favourite DOS Supported OS' would be 3.11, closely followed by 98SE. I spent my childhood an early teenage years on those systems.
I used Windows 2000 all the way through XP and Vista, and finally changing to Windows 7 when it was released
Today I use Windows 8.1

(Actually I've been using Unix Darwin - Mac OS 10.0 - 10.9 through the past 10 years, as my main machine, while using a Windows box for gaming and modding)

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 27 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Damn I forgot Darwin even existed until now.

User is offline   Gambini 

Since this thread is active again: I succesfully managed to get rid of the library system. All I did was following this tuto: http://www.sevenforu...ation-pane.html and the one (linked on it) that makes the explorer automatically start at "my documents" instead of "libraries". I´m sure that within a year I will have saved at least a month of unnecesarily browsing and re arranging folders every time i want to access one of my already neatly organized files.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 01 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 27 April 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

My favourite DOS Supported OS' would be 3.11, closely followed by 98SE. I spent my childhood an early teenage years on those systems.
I used Windows 2000 all the way through XP and Vista, and finally changing to Windows 7 when it was released

That's pretty much been my experience, except that I skipped 2000 for XP.

Today I use Windows 8.1

Won't go near it. B)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Windows 98 was good, but now I prefer XP. I no longer see much of a reason to update... maybe for playing GTA V, if it is ever released on PC and is not full of DRM. And I will update to Windows 7 at best.

Windows 8 is like you paying for a coffee, and the machine being a fat truck driver shitting on a cup.

Don't like Windows 8.1's Metro UI? Classic Shell is your remedy! Anyone using it? I do for my Lenovo. :P

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Classic Shell continually strikes me as stupid. Let's play a game of "what's wrong with this picture".

Posted Image

Anyone claiming "no breadcrumbs" is a feature is full of shit. Breadcrumbs more than supplant the Up button, so we can get rid of that too.

Technically "full path an icon in the title bar" can't hurt since it's blank by default. But if you look a just a few dozen pixels down and to the right, you see a duplicate set of the exact same icon and path. You would need a brick for a brain to not see how that makes the interface unappealing.

"Customizable toolbar provides access to common operations". Jesus. Not only is that thing an eyesore, but you know what provides 100% better access? Keyboard and mouseclick shortcuts!

"The status bar shows free space and total size of the selection". Big whoop. The default status bar shows number of items selected, file type, file icon, file type description, date modified, date created, and file size. Everything but free space, but you don't need free space stats shown all the time.

Welcome to Windows 2000. Seriously.

Personally, I use StartIsBack+ on my Win8.1 laptop. Worth every penny.

I liked Classic Shell's ability to dick around with the start menu, but for Explorer I used Explorer++ for quite some time. Unfortunately it runs very slowly when using network resources. No amount of tweaks got around the serious stability issues I had in Windows 7 however, but Windows 8 seems very promising and I'm looking forward to upgrading to it, I never liked XP that much and am seriously tired of using it.

I can't decide on my favorite Windows version because I like them for different reasons. I have a soft spot for 95, but I do like the interface in WFW3.11 as well as admiring NT4.0 for it's resilience. Hey, did you know that when you set up Win 95 you get to choose the interface? You can actually use Program Manager (like 3.1) instead of Explorer and switch by editing Win.ini (use MSCONFIG for convenience) at any time? They ought to have done something like that with Windows 8 really.

For whatever reason I have always been fascinated by the earlier builds of Windows Chicago;

Posted Image

They aren't in the screen shot there, but I always liked the diamond radio buttons.

Edit: Oh, I hate breadcrumbs btw, that's what the left pane is for. Breadcrumbs have a nasty habit of taking me to some random directory when all I wanted to do was type in the address bar, pressing F4 never worked in the stock Win 7 explorer for some reason, apparently it is supposed to and it certainly worked in previous versions. I don't like it when established keyboard shortcuts no longer do anything and it seems all too common in software today. Wanna know what grates on me more than anything? The fact that the menu is not directly below the title bar and cannot be put there, also I had to spend hours finding out how to enable the displaying of accelerators.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 22 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Breadcrumbs?

User is offline   Rellik 

Bread crumbs are a type of GUI navigation aid

c:\games\3d\duke3d

becomes

Computer > C Drive > Games > 3d > Duke3d

All click-able so you can jump back

best example is at the top of the forum
Posted Image > Everything Else > Hardware/Software Forum > Favorite Microsoft Windows OS?

• The Sarien Encounter

Hate breadcrumbs. Up arrow all the way.

User is offline   zirkoni 

Windows 7

Moved from DOS 6.22 + Win 3.11 to Vista and then Win7. Maybe that's why I'm one of the few people who actually liked Vista.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postzirkoni, on 30 July 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

Windows 7

Moved from DOS 6.22 + Win 3.11 to Vista and then Win7. Maybe that's why I'm one of the few people who actually liked Vista.

DOS 6.22 + Win 3.11 to Vista..... No wonder you liked Vista.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 30 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I honestly, and I mean honestly, had a lot more fun with Windows 3.11 than Vista. I think Vista was on one of my machines for about 80 minutes. With Windows 3.11 I got a taste of 3D modelling, played Quake for the first time, modded and played Doom and Heretic, I had a grand old time.

I went straight from 98 lite to XP. I loved 2000, but it wouldn't play Age of Empires so that was 'mission critical' at the time :(

High Treason - look at Windows 98 Lite - it's amazing.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   Arti9m 

For some reason Vista was running absolutely fine on my PC (I mostly do music-writing), I liked it way more than XP... I still like Vista interface most of all.
Now I'm on 7 and happy with it :)

I'm looking forward to Microsoft's announcement of Windows 9 on September 30th. Anyone got any expectations? I hope it's on par w/ Windows 7 and much more friendly w/ 32-bit programs. Wished Microsoft would strengthened it's backwards compatibility w/ 16-bit programs like SkiFree & Chip's Challenge.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 22 September 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to Microsoft's announcement of Windows 9 on September 30th. Anyone got any expectations? I hope it's on par w/ Windows 7 and much more friendly w/ 32-bit programs. Wished Microsoft would strengthened it's backwards compatibility w/ 16-bit programs like SkiFree & Chip's Challenge.

I assume that by backwards compatibility you are referring to programs such as Windows Virtual PC; there really is no practical reason for the OS itself to be backwards compatible with 16-bit programs.

View PostComrade Major, on 22 September 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

.....there really is no practical reason for the OS itself to be backwards compatible with 16-bit programs.

But..... Ski free. :)

User is offline   Rellik 

http://ski.ihoc.net/

• The Sarien Encounter

Chip's Challenge forever.

Also, Chuck's Challenge. Something special about Chip, though.

User is offline   Rellik 

Next Windows OS was announced, and it's gonna be named ... Windows 10

http://www.theverge....ounced-official

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I joked on Facebook "Windows 9: The Case Of The Missing Binaries".

View PostRellik, on 30 September 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Next Windows OS was announced, and it's gonna be named ... Windows 10

Microsoft seems to have a problem with numbers all the sudden.

User is offline   Rellik 

From what I have read, one of the reasons they skipped nine was technical. Some third party software detects Windows 95, 98 as versionstarts.with "Windows 9" or something like that

Deleted

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 05 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options