Duke4.net Forums: Free Giveaway - Duke Nukem Forever! (Dec 2013) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Free Giveaway - Duke Nukem Forever! (Dec 2013)

User is offline   Xantheous 

Just thought I'd mention that the Duke Nukem Begins Group (on Steam) is hosting a Dec. 2013 free giveaway draw for Duke Nukem Forever. Details are in this thread on the group - Duke Nukem Begins Dec 2013 Giveaway. You just have to be a member of the Duke Nukem Begins group (on Steam) and have a SteamGifts.com account and you can enter. Entries accepted until Dec. 15th, 2013.

Happy Holidays! ;)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Lol DNF...

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

It's like coal, except it's covered in shit.

From Gabe Newell after a nice spicy curry mixed in with Randy's piss.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 01 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

Wow, a lot of hate from people on a Duke Nukem Forever forum. Why do you visit this forum by the way? I mean, if you hate the game so much, why bother coming to this forum?

View PostXantheous, on 01 December 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Wow, a lot of hate from people on a Duke Nukem Forever forum. Why do you visit this forum by the way? I mean, if you hate the game so much, why bother coming to this forum?

For eDuke32, not DNF.

Maybe if you gave away the Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition that would get more support, no one wants DNF it's a piece of shit compared to Duke Nukem 3D.
In fact I would rather play the crappy Sega Mega Drive/Genesis port of DN3D over DNF.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 01 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Allow me to enlighten you. ;)

http://en.m.wikipedi...i/Duke_Nukem_3D

Lameduke was better than DNF, regardless that half that game was incomplete.

A free giveaway of DNF isn't enough. I demand to be paid in order to ever come near that piece of garbage again.

This post has been edited by Radar: 01 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

User is offline   NY00123 

Isn't it the first giveaway topic started by you, to which other individuals (who differ from me) have responded? ;)

Anyway, I'm not in but thanks for the giveaway! (If anybody wonders, then yes, I've already gotten DNF. Haven't been to the other two giveaways, either, though.)

What the few posts before this one do seem to show to me, is that there are various groups of individuals who may discuss recent Duke-related releases, but don't necessarily communicate with each other so often.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostThe Commander, on 01 December 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

For eDuke32, not DNF.

Maybe if you gave away the Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition that would get more support, no one wants DNF it's a piece of shit compared to Duke Nukem 3D.
In fact I would rather play the crappy Sega Mega Drive/Genesis port of DN3D over DNF.

Wow, let's not get too carried away. DNF was a solid 6.5 or a 7 out of 10... not the 9 or 10/10 we were hoping for, but certainly not at the level of that Genesis piece of shit.

They are probably both as balanced as each other. ;)

User is offline   Hank 

Why do you visit this forum by the way? I mean, if you hate the game so much, why bother coming to this forum?

I come here, because I like the diversity of the forum. In my never humble opinion, this is the only forum one needs to visit to be updated in the happenings of the gaming world. Or more personal: I learned a lot here.

Also, I for one do not hate DNF. It's a fair game. I have the PS3 and PC version and therefore do not need a free one.

Now then, why did you come here? - Join us, be part of this community. ;)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I would rather play game.com Duke 3D than DNF.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 01 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHank, on 01 December 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

I come here, because I like the diversity of the forum. In my never humble opinion, this is the only forum one needs to visit to be updated in the happenings of the gaming world. Or more personal: I learned a lot here.

Also, I for one do not hate DNF. It's a fair game. I have the PS3 and PC version and therefore do not need a free one.

Now then, why did you come here? - Join us, be part of this community. ;)

To advertise his Steam group, like he did on Steamgifts.com and on the Gearbox forums.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

But then again DNF has been out for 2 years and has had numerous sales where it's been as cheap as $5. Considering those facts and that this is a Duke Nukem forum, it's a pretty safe bet that anyone who would have wanted to try it out would have done so by now, and the rest of the members wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

You aced it. I'm one of those members that won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

This post has been edited by Radar: 01 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostMicky C, on 01 December 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

But then again DNF has been out for 2 years and has had numerous sales where it's been as cheap as $5. Considering those facts and that this is a Duke Nukem forum, it's a pretty safe bet that anyone who would have wanted to try it out would have done so by now, and the rest of the members wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Good point Micky C. Most people on a Duke Nukem forum have either already purchased Duke Nukem Forever or are not interested in it. So it's probably of little benefit for me to mention on this forum any more the giveaways that the Duke group I help to administrate are holding. So I won't post about them here any longer, since it seems to stir up a lot of negativity and insults from some members.

• Honored Donor

Only if it's DNF related, afterall it's probably the worst game in the Duke franchise (at least mainstream). If it's anything else Duke related I don't think you'd have a problem.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostXantheous, on 01 December 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Good point Micky C. Most people on a Duke Nukem forum have either already purchased Duke Nukem Forever or are not interested in it. So it's probably of little benefit for me to mention on this forum any more the giveaways that the Duke group I help to administrate are holding. So I won't post about them here any longer, since it seems to stir up a lot of negativity and insults from some members.

I'm sorry that you've gotten that response. A lot of people here waited for DNF for the whole 14 years it was in development and ended up pretty understandably disappointed. I don't really agree with the massive shit talking about the game, but I see where they're coming from!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

some people are outspoken about things that really disappointed them. don't be offended, the hostility is more about the game than directed at you personally.

if i bothered with game sites like steam, i'd be interested.

I don't hate DNF ('course i've never played it either)

even if i did play it and didn't care for it i'd just throw it back in the case and toss it on the shelf with the other games that made me go, "meh, it'll be awhile before i fire that up again"

This post has been edited by Forge: 02 December 2013 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

DNF was ok. But I already got it. Thing is, the multiplayer could have made up for what shortcomings it did have, but from what I hear it was terrible. And it's impossible to try now because nobody's playing. Not to mention last time I fired it up it said I wasn't connected to Steam. Whatever.

Why couldn't they have multiple characters to choose from in MP? And why couldn't they have co-op? I feel like they just didn't put the work into it and then gave stupid reasons why. Like "the multiplayer is only Duke because the game is all about Duke and everybody wants to be Duke" or "it doesn't make sense to have co-op because Duke doesn't need any help", as if that matters. They could have duplicated Duke in the co-op like they did in the multiplayer and just had the game pretend that there was only one player, like all the older shooters. There doesn't have to be a reason.

All I can think of is that they just didn't want to put that much work into it. I would have much rather they had been honest and just said they didn't have the time to put a lot of work into it and they just wanted to get the game out then defend it with some ridiculously transparent and insulting reasons. And then there's the dedicated server fiasco...what it all comes down to I think is that Gearbox presented this game extremely poorly by treating the fanbase like they didn't know any better. I honestly think their approach to defending the game's shortcomings and beng dishonest and misleading is the reason the game is so hated today. I think people would have been more forgiving I'd they had just been honest from the beginning and treated fans with the respect they had earned for the previous 12 years waiting for the game.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostXantheous, on 01 December 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

So I won't post about them here any longer, since it seems to stir up a lot of negativity and insults from some members.

I still don't get it. I see two harsh posts and that represents a lot of negativity and insults?

I will repeat a story I have written here before:

A long time ago, I contacted a member at, what was then, Dukeworld, for a mapping question. He, (JS) suggested to sign up to Dukeworld and warned me, Dukers there are can be very rough. And sure enough, I had an interesting time. But those were and still are just posts, and from strangers I never met in real live; but I also found friends, in ironically those that attacked my ignorance most.

Here now is the million dollar questions: Duke, if you are a fan of Duke, is the tough noisy type, would one or two posts discorage the fictional Duke from responding, defending and winning the hearts of the people here? Thus, what type of Duke fan runs away from a challenge?

So once more, join us, be part of this forum!

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperMan, on 01 December 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

I would rather play game.com Duke 3D than DNF.

Don't forget about the pinnacle of Duke Nukem game experiences.

• Honored Donor

I think the fact that the only other active thread in the DNF forum being one about a guy sculpting an octabrain statue is a pretty good indication of how how much people like and play DNF.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

@Commando Nukem

I totally forgot about the game-grip version. Oddly enough i want one now.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 December 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

[...] stupid reasons why. Like "the multiplayer is only Duke because the game is all about Duke and everybody wants to be Duke" or "it doesn't make sense to have co-op because Duke doesn't need any help", [...]

Were this for real? hahaha how stupid ;)

View PostMicky C, on 02 December 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I think the fact that the only other active thread in the DNF forum being one about a guy sculpting an octabrain statue is a pretty good indication of how how much people like and play DNF.

I still think that thread should be in DN General.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah haha , lets shit all over Dukes new game and contribute to putting the franchise in the casket :wub: no wonder i don;'t go on this site XD. If they never release a new Duke just know beating up on an already dead body doesnt help....Imo you are all stuck on the memorie of Duke 3d and want nothing more then duke 3d , well buddy that was 96 ok this is 2013 ? dnf was 2011 ..anyway DNF is my favorite game of the series and i get full matches in multiplayer everyday only on steam.xbox 360 is very slow and ps3 is decently played....cant wait to get bashed for saying that though :D I play duke 3d alot on steam and get matches and make maps for it. I love the game aswell ,but was dnf really that bad? same aliens, same guns with a twist,same voice,babes,dm,tdm,httk,ctb(babe). Duke still looks the same too bottom line here hmm i stand up for it ..i like it

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 10 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 10 December 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yeah haha , lets shit all over Dukes new game and contribute to putting the franchise in the casket :wub: no wonder i don;'t go on this site XD. If they never release a new Duke just know beating up on an already dead body doesnt help....Imo you are all stuck on the memorie of Duke 3d and want nothing more ... cant wait to get bashed for saying that though :D

the bold will get you bashed. 1. the forum is not the cause DNF failed. 2 How do you know who is stuck on where?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Yeah haha , lets shit all over Dukes new game and contribute to putting the franchise in the casket :wub: no wonder i don;'t go on this site XD. If they never release a new Duke just know beating up on an already dead body doesnt help....Imo you are all stuck on the memorie of Duke 3d and want nothing more then duke 3d , well buddy that was 96 ok this is 2013 ? dnf was 2011 ..anyway DNF is my favorite game of the series and i get full matches in multiplayer everyday only on steam.xbox 360 is very slow and ps3 is decently played....cant wait to get bashed for saying that though :D I play duke 3d alot on steam and get matches and make maps for it. I love the game aswell ,but was dnf really that bad? same aliens, same guns with a twist,same voice,babes,dm,tdm,httk,ctb(babe). Duke still looks the same too bottom line here hmm i stand up for it ..i like it

Hahaha! I love when someone tries to blanketly defend themselves from any critical response by saying "I know i'll get bashed for this." Yeah, okay. Posted Image

If they never release another new Duke Nukem game(which we already know there is another Duke-related game coming, there have been strong indications lately), it will be because DNF damaged the property and its reputation so badly that they don't consider it a safe bet financially. That's not our fault. That's DNF's fault. No amount of "bad mouthing" by a handful of forum goers is going to change the minds of Gearbox one way or the other. Unless Randy Pitchford is really that ego maniacal.

A lot of us damn near doubled in age(I was twelve years old when DNF first came to my attention) waiting for DNF. We were there in the trenches waiting for that game, and yes, we can objectively look at DNF and see that, as released it is utter garbage. THE HYPE NOT WITHSTANDING: DNF is a mess of game ideas that do not gel together properly. Oh, I admit to being bitter, but i'm also a fair man. If DNF had redeeming qualities, I would sing those praises from the mountain tops, but the fact, the very fact that the oily shitheads that have any say over the property actually actively sought out and patched any attempt by the community to develop user content for DNF took away any hope of there being a nice word about it from me. The only positive thing I can say is that, at least, it's been laid to rest. The wait is over, it's done and gone. Good riddance. At least the door is now open for something better to come along.

DNF clearly, objectively, is not the best game in the series. Oh sure, you can say you like it the best, and maybe you've deluded yourself into liking it best, but there are some simple facts that show where DNF has failed. It can't even surpass a game made in 1996 from a technical or gameplay standpoint. It literally does not pass Duke Nukem 3D in anyway beyond "high res graphics." Which, for the record, does not make a good game.

Duke 3D may be old, but it has outlasted many other games by many years simply by being well designed. It's weapons are balanced, it's enemy set varied and interesting, it's level design open and non-linear. It's a series of simple systems that work together to create a diverse gameplay experience. It also has a clear and well defined identity. That is the first problem with DNF. It can't make up it's mind where it wants to stand. It tries to splice elements of modern shooters, with retro ones, and with poor results, because it picks the worst and most frustrating aspects of both, and puts them together.

As far as DNF being "the same." Let's talk about that. It really isn't. Oh sure, the weapons and enemies are "the same" in the sense that some of them look and behave similar to those in Duke3D, The problem is that they are in no way shape or form an improvement. The AI is piss poor, literally bare bones for what the Unreal Engine could do with AI. The gameplay systems like the ego system (Which, as designed in DNF doesn't fit the character properly, is wholly inconsistent with regards to how much damage you can take in any given situation, and doesn't tie in with the rest of the gameplay very well.). The two(four)-weapon limitation, and unlimited ammo boxes completely eliminate the need for exploring the environment, and in turn eliminate any non-linear map design. This drastically limits replayability, and completely removed the exploration element that made games like Doom, Quake and Duke3D fun experiences. There is ONE destructible wall in the entire game that the player can directly shoot and destroy, and that's when you're on the goddamn rails sequence with the crane. Literally no secret areas AT ALL. NONE. That's a step backwards from 1996. That old game from 1996 beats out DNF in the gameplay department by a country mile.

• Honored Donor

same aliens, same guns with a twist,same voice,babes,dm,tdm,httk,ctb(babe). Duke still looks the same too bottom line here hmm i stand up for it ..i like it

The twist with the guns is that they suck. Oh yeah, I love having my RPG hold only 5 shots, have a low rate of fire, and reduced damage and damage radius.

IMO it's fine if people like that as long as it's in other games. In Duke Nukem the RPG should be something you could clean a room with. Same goes for what they did with the other weapons etc.
And you didn't even mention level design. Level design was one of the strongest points of Duke 3D, while also one of the weakest of DNF.

Edit: I started writing this post while Commando Nukem was writing his.
On secret areas, there were a few in the game, but not that many, and they sucked. This is because in Duke 3D, you could find goodies such as health, armour and ammo. In DNF there is no armour, the regenerating "ego" eliminates the health, and as for "ammo" sure you could pick up a more powerful weapon, but because of the 2 weapon limit you'd have to trade it in shortly after for something else. This completely removes the motivation to even bother searching for secrets in the first place since they don't benefit you in any way.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 10 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options