Duke4.net Forums: Polymer optimization? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer optimization?  "Suggestions and Answers"

User is offline   neoacix 

Im just starting this thread with some suggestions which could help to improve the fps count on polymer.
Maybe it's just stupid stuff, but I learned that a lot of stuff is just overseen from time to time.
So maybe this could be helpfull...

1. Rendering the whole map. No matter how far you are, things got rendered!
Suggenstion: How about some algorithm that only renders a spezified distance?
I know there can be sectors and walls that can be quite large.
Maybe some kind of dividing them could help?

2. Firing weapons and causing explosions willl lit up the entire area, no mattter how lagre it is.
Suggesttion: Maybe it'll be better to only lit up a spezified range.
At least I'll prefer it.

I'll think these both together would increase the fps count drasticly.
Thats just some poor suggestions and maybe a lot people asked them before....

But then I'd like to hear why this i'snt possible!?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Thanks for the suggestions; unfortunately the performance problems are (and were always) well-understood, the problem is finding the time and motivation to re-engineer the renderer with them in mind.

User is offline   Mia Max 

You need some motivation?

What about paying you guys for your work?

I would spend some money, but only if many other people on this site did this too and if we would get a guarantee for a re-engineered eduke32.

I want it so bad :P

User is offline   blackhatred 

• Dumbfuck Wannabe

View PostPlagman, on 28 October 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions; unfortunately the performance problems are (and were always) well-understood, the problem is finding the time and motivation to re-engineer the renderer with them in mind.
I can give you all my Diablo 3 gold! 22 000 000 at the moment! Sounds like a good deal, huh? :P

User is offline   MacoMan 

View PostMia Max, on 29 October 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

You need some motivation?

What about paying you guys for your work?

I would spend some money, but only if many other people on this site did this too and if we would get a guarantee for a re-engineered eduke32.

I want it so bad :P

Good idea. I understand that one of the developers of eduke is/was a software coder for Nvidia drivers, and along with the other dedicated eduke developers, I think we could get something quite satisfying & professional quality in the end. Kick their asses into some motivation with a good kickstart! Duke 3D is so worth it. So how 'bout it, boys? Project Polymer Optimization! Hail to the king, baby.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This has been suggested before. Basically the amount of money required to compensate Plagman for stopping work for the time needed and finishing polymer is beyond what we're probably capable of.

The man has a family to take care of.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

If I ever get my shit together enough, I'll pay him to do it myself.

User is offline   Mark 

I've given a few times already. I can do more when needed.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Paying Plagman is one thing, but being able to take that kind of vacation time is another.

I think it has been said before that we would prefer you donate to the project via the link on the main site when you are happy with something we have added because we cannot guarantee additions for payments with our busy lives.

How can you guys be so busy?

I go to work on 5 days the week for 8 hours a day, from 3:45 to midday, that's it :P
Well, and there's no famaly :P

You guys need a time machine.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMia Max, on 30 October 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

I go to work on 5 days the week for 8 hours a day, from 3:45 to midday, that's it :P

If that's so, where are all the maps you've been working on? They should have been released ages ago Posted Image

User is offline   Stabs 

just a sec, we can pay less than a dollar for a storm of pepper and get carmack to sneeze on the polymer code and make it godlike!

View PostMicky C, on 30 October 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

If that's so, where are all the maps you've been working on? They should have been released ages ago Posted Image

I'm waiting for a performance patch :P

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostMia Max, on 30 October 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

Having two kids and 70-hour work weeks definitely doesn't help. I do have some time to myself, but not enough that I'd rather use it to rewrite Polymer than say, play a videogame for an hour before going to bed.

User is offline   neoacix 

Woah!
So much replies. ^^
I was afraid someone comes up and locks this thread with a link to another thread, where this issue has been discussed 100 times before. :P

Good idea. I understand that one of the developers of eduke is/was a software coder for Nvidia drivers, and along with the other dedicated eduke developers, I think we could get something quite satisfying & professional quality in the end. Kick their asses into some motivation with a good kickstart! Duke 3D is so worth it. So how 'bout it, boys? Project Polymer Optimization! Hail to the king, baby.

Unfortunatly, Kickstarter is only for companies, but I think crowdfunding is still a good idea.
The problem of a donate-button is... you spend money for something, where you don't know how it will be used.
And just paying the websites isn't something most people will spend their money for.

So I'm thinking about something like the devs of Haiku are doing:
https://www.haiku-os.org/
They are fundraising money for a whole year, to finish some miletones in the os, without any promises of success, but with a list of things which the money goes into.
So you know for what reason you'r funding.
And there are a lot of people spending money for something you certainly never heared of. :P
So, if there would something similar on the eduke site, I think you could think of some unpayed vacation, which is funded by the community to work on polymer.
Just my 2 cents to this. :P

Another thing is, that I thought about looking in the code my self.
But I guess it's realy hard to learn how everything works and come together.
Otherwhise I also dont' have a lot of time.
But hey, maybe, after I finished my map, I'll look into it and get nailed on it. :P

Edit:
[quote name='"Plagman"]Having two kids and 70-hour work weeks definitely doesn't help. I do have some time to myself' date=' but not enough that I'd rather use it to rewrite Polymer than say, play a videogame for an hour before going to bed. [/quote']

70 hours a week? Man, I hope you get well payed for your job!

This post has been edited by dpax: 30 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

View PostPlagman, on 30 October 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Having two kids and 70-hour work weeks definitely doesn't help. I do have some time to myself, but not enough that I'd rather use it to rewrite Polymer than say, play a videogame for an hour before going to bed.

Do you have two jobs?

I've heard that a lot of americans have two jobs.
I don't understand it.
I've thought americans get paid very well.
How much do you earn?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postdpax, on 30 October 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Unfortunatly, Kickstarter is only for companies, but I think crowdfunding is still a good idea.

No, it's not. I've backed a couple music Kickstarters by lone music artists. One of which was successfully funded.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostMia Max, on 30 October 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

Do you have two jobs?

I've heard that a lot of americans have two jobs.
I don't understand it.
I've thought americans get paid very well.
How much do you earn?

A lot of tech jobs have mandatory overtime, except you're salaried so you don't get paid extra. Income isn't the problem in this case though it's the type of work. Also most Americans make terrible wages, and can't get full time work on top of that so some take two jobs. Before the mid 1980s or so one person could make enough for an entire household but now it's often necessary to have two incomes.

But yeah...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options