Duke4.net Forums: Rise Of The Triad (2013) - Duke4.net Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise Of The Triad (2013)

User is offline   Kathy 

A proper thread for spoilerish game discussion.

P.S. Still waiting for "soon" despite already living in July 31st.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

22 hours to go here. Posted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

You should still probably be able to play once it unlocks on GOG, which could be 30th in your case. Don't know about steam's policy on digital-only titles.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Spoiler

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperMan, on 30 July 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Spoiler

Now I know this is the best game ever.

User is online   Lunick 

Here's a pretty clear video of the first level and the Castle Multiplayer map again. Too bad nobody who reviews this game is good so far :P

• Judge Mental

Oh my God... Five minutes into that video and I just want to choke a bitch. Seriously.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Just curious where did you guys pre-ordered your copy of ROTT: GOG or Steam? Good guy Green gift me a GOG key.

User is online   Lunick 

I pre ordered mine through Green Man Gaming since it was cheaper even though it is a Steam key which won't unlock until 5 am for me :P

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

5 hours left for me...

User is offline   Kathy 

Checkpoints suck. Level 2 has a big gap between checkpoints to not notice it. Especially if you're gonna spring a death trap.

User is offline   Kathy 

Played 3 levels.

- my girl sometimes speak like a man
- unlimited ammo on all weapons except rocket launchers(you can basically hold LMB entire level)
- game is built around quickly completing levels
- enemies mostly stand there waiting to sponge damage and then die
- rockets/melee don't destroy glass

Checkpoints meh. After dying the last thing you want is to go again through that part of a level to collect all the coins and secrets. There are 2-4 checkpoints per level.

"There's enough checkpoints in each level that no matter where you die you'll never lose more than a minute or so of progress". (q) Dave.
Unless you're doing a speedrun, which this game I assume was built around, you'll lose enough to be annoyed.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostKathy, on 31 July 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

Checkpoints meh. After dying the last thing you want is to go again through that part of a level to collect all the coins and secrets. There are 2-4 checkpoints per level.

2~4 checkpoints pre level? It's not enough at all... :P
*sigh*

That's the reason I hate checkpoints, because always must redo anything like collecting shit or do something already done due I were dead and restart. What stupid... :P

I still have 3 hours to wait my copy on Steam unlocked......

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 31 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

The checkpoints suck alright, but the thing that annoyed me the most was the scripted events that stop you from going back.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Why has this game unlocked for you guys and not me, wtf ffs.

User is offline   Kathy 

GOG

I have a weird/annoying bug with ROTT: The camera keeps spinning around.

User is offline   Kathy 

So... episode 1 is down. To put it bluntly, SP is shit. After several deaths I didn't give a rat's ass about secrets, coins or other crap, but just wanted the damn level be done with. Having a checkpoint system with so much crap to gather in a level is a nightmare. And platforming sucks with that kind of speed without option to just walk.

P.S. Can't compare with original ROTT since I never played it.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Sounds like the new ROTT is very fast while the old one was incredibly slow and dull.

User is online   Lunick 

This needs a manual saving system really really bad. I didn't die on the first level but in the second there is this cool "mega secret" labeled area that is filled with nice instadeath traps. I wouldn't have been so mad if the game didn't set me back 25% of the way labeled on the hud bar thingy :P

Edit: So I decided to go a bit further past the secret in the level to see if I could trigger a different checkpoint save but instead doors closed behind me so I couldn't revisit that part of the level again :P The flamewall also looks like a cool weapon but feels piss weak at times. What is going on :/

This post has been edited by Lunick: 31 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostLunick, on 31 July 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Edit: So I decided to go a bit further past the secret in the level to see if I could trigger a different checkpoint save but instead doors closed behind me so I couldn't revisit that part of the level again :P The flamewall also looks like a cool weapon but feels piss weak at times. What is going on :/

They got rid of backtracking?????? :P

User is offline   Hool 

View PostComrade Major, on 31 July 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Is this true? How can it be classed as 90's throwback FPS when you cant backtrack through the level? FPS's back in the day where fun because it was non-linear, remember in Duke 3D you could enter the Movie Theatre from the entrance or at the back exit.

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostComrade Major, on 31 July 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

It seems they are. Just stuck on level 2 with 2 hp and hoard of enemies ahead. The door is closed behind me, so I can't go back for some hp.

• Glory To Motherland!

View Postfgsfds, on 31 July 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

It seems they are. Just stuck on level 2 with 2 hp and hoard of enemies ahead. The door is closed behind me, so I can't go back for some hp.

:P

User is offline   Player Lin 

Take half hour in total to beat E1L1...without all secrets found... feel not bad but ruined by no manual saving...

E1L1 has no checkpoint(or I didn't triggered it when I played this level about 3~4 times...? I don't know)...death near the exit room and restart all over from beginning of this goddamn beginning level, wasted my 10+ minutes of play for searching secrets. Fine, my computer is old and even with low setting, it still on low fps/long loading time on many part of game, then affected my play skill... :P

In my opinion, this game really needed a manual saving system...even though I just don't want going back again after I got killed...:P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 31 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 31 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Is this true? How can it be classed as 90's throwback FPS when you cant backtrack through the level? FPS's back in the day where fun because it was non-linear, remember in Duke 3D you could enter the Movie Theatre from the entrance or at the back exit.

I remember pressing a nuke button that took you to the streets of a red light district, with a broken elevator blocking you from going back to that movie theater.

Ok, to name real in-level scripted sequences in Duke3D that don't allow the player to backtrack: The Abyss had no way to get out of the alien ship after falling in, Movie Set blew the whole place behind you once you neared the nuke button, The Queen had no way to get out of the boss pit, and I recall a map called Critical Mass that consisted of doors falling behind you each second.

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 31 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMs. Radar, on 31 July 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I remember pressing a nuke button that took you to the streets of a red light district, with a broken elevator blocking you from going back to that movie theater.

Or when the nuclear plant blows the fuck up at the end of E4L8, preventing you from going back inside...

View PostKristian Joensen, on 31 July 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

I have a weird/annoying bug with ROTT: The camera keeps spinning around.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

User is online   Lunick 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 31 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

:P Reminds me of a game that had anti piracy measures in it.

The no backtracking thing is true. Every time you hit a checkpoint, the door (or something) instantly locks behind you. This is doubly bad as there's absolutely no indication that the door you're about to walk through is going to be a checkpoint. If you want to go back get some health, look for more secrets, or even just pick up the full rocket launcher you left behind in the last room, you're completely out of luck unless you simply want to play the entire previous area again from a past checkpoint.

It's true that other 90s shooters had areas that prevented backtracking, but ROTT 2013's handling of this is completely artificial and very obviously a consequence of the lack of manual saving.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 31 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options