Duke4.net Forums: Rise Of The Triad (2013) - Duke4.net Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise Of The Triad (2013)

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Why would they do that? Is the engine simply incapable of allowing the player to access the entire level as he or she pleases?

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 31 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Hmmm, won't even start for me. No splash screen or anything. I launch it in Steam and nothing happens.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It's saving everything in their destroyed state that's the problem.

How did 90's shooters execute this without a problem though?

User is offline   t800 

View PostMs. Radar, on 31 July 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

The Abyss had no way to get out of the alien ship after falling in, ...

Jetpack anyone? :P

Posted Image

Seriously, Interceptor...

User is offline   Hool 

I remember pressing a nuke button that took you to the streets of a red light district, with a broken elevator blocking you from going back to that movie theater.

:P

Ok, to name real in-level scripted sequences in Duke3D that don't allow the player to backtrack: The Abyss had no way to get out of the alien ship after falling in, Movie Set blew the whole place behind you once you neared the nuke button, The Queen had no way to get out of the boss pit, and I recall a map called Critical Mass that consisted of doors falling behind you each second.

I'm talking about most of the levels in this stance. You mentioned E1M2 which allows you to go from the strip club back to the starting elevator with no obstructions before hitting the Nuke button.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ok, to name real in-level scripted sequences in Duke3D that don't allow the player to backtrack: The Abyss had no way to get out of the alien ship after falling in, Movie Set blew the whole place behind you once you neared the nuke button, The Queen had no way to get out of the boss pit, and I recall a map called Critical Mass that consisted of doors falling behind you each second.

To be fair, half of those where final boss encounters, the mapper doesn't exactly want to you run away from the arena.
Movie Set was also at the end of a level, not several times in the middle.
Critical mass... well that was just the theme of that one particular level.

I haven't played this yet (about to now) but so far what it sounds like is yet another developer offering 100% oldschool gameplay, yet compromising somewhere down the track. I mean no manual saving AND no back tracking is just ludicrous.

People need to learn old school is more than having multiple weapons and health packs!

User is offline   Kathy 

Gonna repost Dave's explanation about checkpoints.
http://forums.duke4....173#entry165173

I still think it was a shitty idea with a shitty implementation. Scarcely put checkpoints absolutely change the way game plays(and it is big issue for an "old school" title). They should have had at least more of them or have places where you could save. I can understand having no saves during trap sequences, but, hell, getting killed after completing Great Halls Of Fire plainly sucks.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMikko C, on 31 July 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

People need to learn old school is more than having multiple weapons and health packs!

No, you don't understand. It's about having FUN and HUMOUR.

Seriously, the gameplay is a mess. On one side we have health packs, coins, secrets and on the other - checkpoins, no backtracking, hordes of enemies. And they don't complement each other well. I should mention that I'm playing on hard.

In reality there are no multiple weapons. You have melee, machine gun and rockets. You'll never use pistol(s) when you have unlimited ammo for machine gun. And you can only carry one rocket launcher around. Don't know about shotgun since I haven't found it yet(I'm on E2L2).

This post has been edited by Kathy: 31 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostKathy, on 31 July 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

In reality there are no multiple weapons. You have melee, machine gun and rockets. You'll never use pistol(s) when you have unlimited ammo for machine gun. And you can only carry one rocket launcher around. Don't know about shotgun since I haven't found it yet(I'm on E2L2).

Shotgun isn't in yet.

User is offline   Ronin 

I have done the first 2 levels and so far I love it, sexy fast violence and cool level design and the guns feel powerful. Yeah needs more check points, but only because it's annoying to have to find all the stuff again, so to remedy this when I die I don't get everything and just get the guns I want then move on, thankfully it's so fast that this takes away from the frustration, so far anyway. I like the little details they stuck in too for those who want to notice them like little funny notes etc, one to do list said "play DNR" I like little things like that.

• Honored Donor

Ok I'm about half way through the third level and I paused it for the moment (I'd love to save and go do something else but I can't do that Posted Image)

It really does seem like nothing more than a glorified mod. It combines the worst aspects of oldschool shooters, and the worst aspects of modern shooters. Yet amazingly it does it in a completely different way to DNF.

The game has bugs:
  • At least one enemy downright shooting at the wrong place (i.e not at me).
  • jibs stuck in mid air or in walls where it doesnt make sense
  • firewall doesn't work on enemies sometimes
  • Damage indicator is completely useless. At least once it was pointing behind me when the guy was in front! (And no, I'm sure there was no one behind me). Plus it's useless in general. Not accurate and doesn't stay on the screen long enough to get a proper idea.

Now, here are the gameplay problems, and I'll admit some of them are leftovers from being based on a ROTT game, but a crappy design feature is a crappy design feature whatever the reason:

• Blowing up enemies isn't satisfying (unforgivable). Don't know why, but a lack of jibbing sound doesn't help (that squelch when you blow someone up).
  • Ineffective weapons: hit radius on explosives feels too small leading to feeling of weak weapons (combined with the firewall thing and the above point it's not good)
  • Boring repetitive simple human soldiers.
  • Simple AI (both good and bad I suppose)
  • Forgettable/arbitrary enemy placement. Read: no interesting setups.
  • Mostly flat levels. I know this is ROTT but the best thing about games like Duke 3D was the height variation in levels.
  • Repetitive, boring level design more or less. If you've seen one room you've seen them all. Again this is like ROTT, but we've moved on over the last 20 or so years.
  • Dull boring colour scheme. Where's the flair? It also adds to the "everything looks the same" thing.
  • The jibs when you blow up an enemy aren't that satisfying either.
  • And of course the checkpoint system. It doesn't tell me when I've reached a checkpoint either.
  • Edit: I actually think a nice, well written story (which can be skippable of course) would have also made the game more interesting. My god that intro "cutscene" was boring. The original had the right idea keeping it short.

I guess I expected them to mix in some new, cool new gameplay features and interesting level design, while so far it's just a half-decent remake of ROTT with some annoying modern stuff replacing what didn't need to be replaced. Btw, modern does not equal new; original equals new.

The game just isn't drawing me in like I expected it. Maybe if everything above was fixed...
But Interceptor has a long way to go before they're capable of making any kind of good Duke game.

This post has been edited by Mikko C: 31 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   randir14 

I'm having a lot of fun with the game. The first level was kind of a let down, but the ROTT-ness picks up later. A couple things feel a bit low budget like the crappy looking blood and gore effects.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRonan, on 31 July 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I have done the first 2 levels and so far I love it, sexy fast violence and cool level design and the guns feel powerful. Yeah needs more check points, but only because it's annoying to have to find all the stuff again,

It's not "only", the game was hyped around having secrets.

View PostMikko C, on 31 July 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

hit radius on explosives feels too small leading to feeling of weak weapons

This one is pretty abysmal. Takes away the biggest advantage of a rocket launcher.

It doesn't tell me when I've reached a checkpoint either.

It does. When you see some random message then it means you've reached a checkpoint.

• Honored Donor

Well I'm glad I tried out the game before I went to Uni, because now I won't be dying to come home to try it.

Had 12% health left, then was being shot at from a distance by some lone gunman and couldn't see where. Naturally I died and was set back a huge amount to the checkpoint. And I totally don't have the motivation to get back in and try again.
That's an ideal place to have quicksaving.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostKathy, on 31 July 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

It's not "only", the game was hyped around having secrets.

From what I've read quick saving is not an option for Interceptor at the moment. I don't know squat about making games but I'd imagine they will add more checkpoints to remedy this as I'm sure they are clued to the feedback. But yeah it is a problem, still fun as fuck though. If they want good criticism, hey have come to the right place.

User is offline   Kathy 

It seems with the way checkpoints designed having more might also be a problem. Lack of backtracking is directly involved here, I think.

P.S. Just now noticed you have an animated avatar.

edit: typo

This post has been edited by Kathy: 31 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostKathy, on 31 July 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

P.S. Just now noticed you have an animated avatar.

SHHH!

This post has been edited by Ronan: 31 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

How I love restarting a checkpoint with a pistol despite having other weapons at the time...

User is offline   Ronin 

The game just crashed my pc, after I did a really hard bit with no health that took me loads of tries!

User is offline   Kathy 

Some stones need to be blown by a rocket to access the secret, yet at the same time those stones that need pushing E couldn't be blown. What gives?

E2L4 - that's where checkpoints really shine.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I can't wait until Deviance gets his hands on this game.

User is offline   Ronin 

Just done level 1-3, now I am feeling the pain of the inappropriate checkpoint system.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMs. Radar, on 31 July 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

I can't wait until Deviance gets his hands on this game.

His change of heart regarding Interceptor was almost sickening. I hope he gets back to his form.

View PostRonan, on 31 July 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Just done level 1-3, now I am feeling the pain of the inappropriate checkpoint system.

I hope to hear your feedback on E2L4.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 31 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Found a significant issue with the game... it doesn't run right on laptops containing both an Intel and NVIDIA GPU (NVIDIA Optimus support)! It appears to be an issue with "launcher" being present in the filename of the binary, but I haven't really investigated it. Seems to work correctly when renaming it to just ROTT.exe.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

On to the third level...

I think I will wait for a patch of some sorts, I am not extremely fussed on this check point system but it could just be me but I have a hard time of seeing the enemies shooting at me.

Going back to Feed The Beast/Minecraft now... :P

User is offline   Kathy 

Boss level E2L5 is pure bullshit. It's a nuisance to fight him, but when I literally stuck in a wall second time in a row on a 3rd part of a boss fight it gets irritating.

Oh, now I understand. The game was trying to forcefully to throw me down. What a stupid boss fight...

This post has been edited by Kathy: 31 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Okay, I'm done playing for release day. Thus far a fairly poor experience, along with the realization that I've been a wee bit overhyped.

Low-ends:
Extremely poor performance (No way in hell I should be getting 30FPS max even with tweaked settings). This should be on the urgent list of things to patch.
No manual saves/quick saves (betcha didnt see this one coming, did ya). When I found out about this prior to the game's release, I tried to accept it. Nope.. it's just the way I am used to playing SP titles. Black Mesa Source has saves. :/
Continued: I find it weird, I think checkpoints reset the wrong way or something. I don't know.
Somewhat limited, uninspired and technically inept map designs. Things that shouldn't have been an issue (like walking through a broken window that you are clearly able to do so) - are. Also areas which are not finished/created at all, but are visible to the player.

Not phased by minor bugs, as I've seen worse.

Highlights:
It's cool hunting for brand new secret areas, it didn't disappoint in that regard even with the map design. Most of them are fairly obvious, but then again I've become accustomed to BS secrets
Shooting is kinda cool, it's light and enjoyable. Gibbing is nice.
References+Achievements are fun. They don't and shouldn't carry the game, but it's nice that they are there. RO77 F7W.
It's fast. I use auto-run on any game that has it anyway.
Most important, I had fun and if the performance issue is cleared - I think I'll be having a lot more fun. I just let go of the hype, I thought to myself "It's not the second coming of FPS games, relax and enjoy" and bam. It all became better.

I think I will hold off playing until they patch it up a bit in the upcoming weeks.

This post has been edited by uraganotkirki: 31 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I want to love this game, but the performance issues (It's running kinda shitty on medium settings. I don't have a top of the line system, but it's not exactly a pushover either.)

The checkpoints can eat by balls. Really. DEEPLY EAT MY BALLS CHECKPOINTS.

I have died three times in different areas, and been put back to the same damn checkpoint. I died in a fucking secret area of all things when I fell into an instant-death trap and was sent back. This is the kind of bullshit game developers learned was annoying as shit on consoles. Get the people in there that can code manual saves immediately.

I really want to love this game. I was mostly enjoying myself until I hit that crap. The pace is good, the gun play is just like ROTT. That's all fine. It's this one lousy feature, and I knew it was going to be a problem. I sent Terry a message on FB about it before release. You're killing your game with this direction.

Also the anti backtracking thing? Yeah that needs to go. Antithetical to old school shooters. Especially when I had to leave a rocket launcher behind and wanted to go back and get it, but couldn't because the path was blocked.

Aside from those three points. Performance, lack of back tracking, and lack of manual saves.... It's a reasonably good game, especially for the 15 dollars. Fix those things and it could become a great game.

• Honored Donor

I agree with the last two posts on pretty much everything except the performance. My computer is a mid-top range from 2009 so it's not all that great, but I'm not noticing any lag or slowdowns on ludicrous settings.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options