Duke4.net Forums: Radeon vs NVidia. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Radeon vs NVidia.  "Favorite GPU brand?"

Poll: Radeon vs NVidia. (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is your favorite video card brand?

1. Radeon (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. NVidia. (29 votes [78.38%])

Percentage of vote: 78.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What is significantly different about Vulkan from OpenGL that AMD would supply better driver support for it than OpenGL?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 June 2016 - 06:24 AM, said:

What is significantly different about Vulkan from OpenGL that AMD would supply better driver support for it than OpenGL?

With OpenGL, AMD has to code more, to complete the implementation. Vulkan takes away some of the abstraction layer between the hardware and the application. Normally this layer would get filled in with code from AMD. With this layer gone, this means AMD has to code less logic into there drivers. This means in theory, there should be less bugs that are vendor specific because AMD has less code to implement. Who knows this turns into in the practical sense, but even a 10% reduction in vendor specific bugs, overall, is nothing to scoff at.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 13 June 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostPerson of Color, on 12 June 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

I have indoor plumbing but there's just something so liberating about pissing outside. 72 degrees with a mild breeze puts the tip of my penis at ease.

The best feelings in the world;
1. Cumming
2. Getting away with stuff
3. Pissing
4. Shitting (I summon BrownFarted)

Not necessarily in that order... Possibly all at once depending on what floats your boat.

Also for the record; nVidia, because I already own one and it is powerful enough. If I had to buy a new card then... whatever is cheapest and can run the Windows interface, preferably stable in Vegas (though with a fast CPU I don't need CL/Cuda), even Intel cards suffice and I very nearly ended up getting a CPU with the internal GPU. The only reason I didn't is that some sources, including the board manufacturer, state this may affect the upgrade path if I need something with more guts later.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Basically, if you want to spend all your time on interweb forums bitching about why your graphics card dosen't work, then get an AMD card.

Especially if you would rather argue with people on the interwebz and ignore the frustrated pleas of your SO to come to bed and give them a shuddering orgasm. "Shut up,I can't concentrate! This is way more important! THE HEATHENS HAVE TO ACCEPT THE GLORY!!!!!!"

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I only build Intel/Nvidia machines for myself and family.

AMD/ATi feels second rate and pretty much always has. Although I have lots of them in my pile-o-puters.

This post has been edited by RobMan: 13 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Leaked RX 470 benchmarks.

One hundred. Sixty. Dollars.

Posted Image

https://www.guru3d.c...benchmarks.html

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 16 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted. Guess I'll get a 970 instead then.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRobMan, on 13 June 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

I only build Intel/Nvidia machines for myself and family.

AMD/ATi feels second rate and pretty much always has. Although I have lots of them in my pile-o-puters.

What are the problems/cons with AMD CPUs?

View PostKathy, on 29 June 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

What are the problems/cons with AMD CPUs?

Performance wise Intel has a decent lead on AMD.

User is offline   Kathy 

But other than that? My experience with AMD was that it's hotter. But it's purely anecdotal. Do AMD CPUs require more power than Intel with a similar performance?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostKathy, on 29 June 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

But other than that? My experience with AMD was that it's hotter. But it's purely anecdotal. Do AMD CPUs require more power than Intel with a similar performance?

Intel just has more powerful CPUs than AMD does for essentially the same clock speed.

• Polymancer

AMD's CPU's work. They aren't as powerful, but they work and run stuff as well as Intel and are usually cheaper.
If the same could be said for their GPU's then there wouldn't be any problem.

The biggest difference is single threaded performance. AMD tanks on that. It's not a deal breaker on their higher end models, but their APU's really are just atrocious for anything single threaded. The A10 in laptops gets a pass because of it's great graphics system.

AMD also uses a different core setup. Those eight cores are really more like four cores with two threads each. Granted, these are very beefed up modules, so they're almost like 1.5 cores each. They have their own integer unit, but the FPU is shared between both cores in a module. Their quad and dual core models are really dual and single core for the most part.

This only applies to their full blown chips. Their low power chips use a normal design, like the netbook shit you find in cut rate laptops/desktops and consoles. That shit is REALLY terrible, but so is Intel's, so who cares!

I really love AMD for workstation tasks. Every 8300-series chip I've put in a workstation has blown my pants off. Your average power user is going to have a hell of a time bogging down even a lowly, $100 8320E. Now that pretty much all every day software is multi-threaded, these things are complete monsters. Speaking of power, the newer E models are 95W and can be thrown into any shit tier tiny ass enclosure you want. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about AMD for workstation use - they are nothing short of phenomenal. I can build a system with an 8320E, load it up with 16GB RAM, a high end SSD, a massive hard drive, top shelf input devices and speakers, a basic video card for dual monitors, oh yeah, some BIG ASS monitors, and fuck me it's nice.

I mean really, It's still a little cheaper than an Intel workstation and WAY nicer to use because all the surrounding components are better. My only major complaint is the noise level of the stock 95w fan - it sucks, but I've heard worse.

I don't think they are as good for gaming, but they definitely aren't bad. I'd definitely recommend overclocking one for that use. You won't see any difference doing that to in i5 or i7, but an FX series will be nearly as good as Intel after you tweak it...for many things Intel will only be "benchmark faster." A budget gaming rig with an overclocked 8320E and an RX 480 is nothing to scoff at, that's a seriously fast computer.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 01 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Feel like I made a good decision avoiding this.

I would avoid reference cards from either company, period. They've been getting crappy for a while now.

The Zotac GTX 680 I got Coraline open box for $170 last year pretty much did nothing but vomit hot air into my room...I was sweating like a pig while playing Crysis 2. I'm talking balls swimming in their own pool. It shot out air through the like slot a cannon and farted White Castle SBD's into my case. Everything was roasting. That was after I repasted it with Arctic Silver 2 Ceramique.

I'm on my second Asus DirectCU card and I LOVE their cooling systems!

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 30 October 2016 - 02:25 AM

Here's a GameSpot review of Nvidia GTX 1060 mid-range video card. It's faster than the Radeon RX 480. 15% faster than the GTX 980 according to NVidia but the GTX 1060 has one problem: No freakin' SLI support!

http://www.gamespot....mpaign=homepage

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 20 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostDustFalcon85, on 20 July 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Here's a GameSpot review of Nvidia GTX 1060 mid-range video card. It's faster than the Radeon RX 480. 15% faster than the GTX 980 according to NVidia but the GTX 1060 has one problem: No freakin' SLI support!

Who cares about SLI support. Most games don't support it. The ones that do have SLI, have it implemented poorly. If your one hold back is the 1060 doesn't have SLI support; I really wouldn't consider that a draw back.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 21 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Isn't SLI flawed anyway with that silly microstutter issue? Doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Yeah dual cards SUCK unless it's Voodoo2.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Don't set your house on fire, lads.

A devastating issue plaguing Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 cards from EVGA causing them to burn out and die has been discovered. This came about after reports of EVGA ACX GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 cards suddenly going up in smoke started to pile up over the past week.

Hundreds of GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 owners have come out on EVGA’s forum, the Nvidia, Build A PC & PC Master Race subreddits to describe their shock as they saw their graphics cards literally go up in flames.
One user reported his computer suddenly shutting down with a bright orange flame gushing out of his graphics card. While another reported seeing sparks followed by the screen suddenly turning black in the middle of a gaming session with foul smelling chemical smoke subsequently pouring out of his machine.

http://wccftech.com/...ga-cards-dying/

• Polymancer

... waiting to find that some components have been made by Samsung.

This is a pretty ridiculous oversight...how do you forget to cool the fucking VRM's?

• The Sarien Encounter

Suddenly I'm glad I bought my 3.5GB GTX 970.

User is offline   Malgon 

Fucking hell, that is pretty piss-poor. And I've always heard good things about EVGA.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

If you hate someone too much, buy him 1070 or 1080 card, turn his computer into a bomb which will set his house on fire.

https://www.twitch.t...ing/v/101518948

They actually recommend you to update your BIOS if you have these cards, but no idea if it works: http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

>Making shit in China

Breaking and bad news guys. There is a graphics card shortage and to top it all off; prices for Radeon (470/480/570/580) and Nvidia cards (1060/1070/1080) has shot up thanks to the huge spike in cryptocurrency/cryptomining. Finding any one of these cards in new condition is a bitch. Don't spend a fortune buying one off of Ebay. At least the 1050 Ti series are on sale online but you'll better be quick. Pick up a 1050 Ti on the double!

It seems that Nvidia's official website still has the cards in stock. It'll be a matter of time of the cryptominers find out about it. Hold off on building a new PC until those cards are back in stock.

http://www.pcgamer.c...-and-570-cards/

http://www.tomshardw...ency,34865.html

Looks like we're about to enter a Graphics Card crisis folks. Posted Image

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 25 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

Unless you have a really shitty card or wanting to try VR, I would say just hold off on getting a new card until this shit dies down.

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm happy with my 970.

What pisses me off is that the 970 was already a big leap from the 7xx series, then they come up with the 10xx series and the 1070 is an even bigger leap. All in just two years. Sure you can sell the 970, but to a graphics addict this sudden growth in performance is frustrating.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options