Duke4.net Forums: Radeon vs NVidia. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Radeon vs NVidia.  "Favorite GPU brand?"

Poll: Radeon vs NVidia. (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is your favorite video card brand?

1. Radeon (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. NVidia. (29 votes [78.38%])

Percentage of vote: 78.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 01 March 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

You had other great manufacturers like Epox and Abit and second tier companies like Chaintech and Soltek who had some really nice models. You also had four different chipset manufacturers. With all of the consolidation and bankruptcies the remaining players don't really innovate like they used to.

I agreed with most of your post with the exception of this statement above.

In 14 yrs of my experience the bad OEM's/Manufacturers have been either bought out or filed for bankruptcy. I'm really glad to see them go off the market. I have way less hardware headaches now and about the only thing these second tier companies were good for was keeping the big guys honest in pricing.

The most noticeable failures I've seen with hardware is with hard drives not lasting. Especially Seagate and Western Digital Blue crap drives. I wish they'd just stop selling crap hard-drives and sell WD Enterprise and WD Red for everyone. Aside from that, hardware has been pretty reliable and as long as you're not throwing money at $1000 video cards which are over clocked to the nuts and running hot and you get the next model down which is about 15 percent slower but runs at half the temperature things should run just fine. Anyone who blows 1000 bucks on a video card just to say they have the best video card on the market is nuts when in 6 months there will be another card that will replace that card and I'm not referring to the Nvidia 770. More like the GTX 790 and Titan etc.. 770 would be a great price point performer card to buy based on Nvidia's modelling system.

Personally, I buy the EVGA video cards specifically to spend the extra 10 bucks for the 10 year warranty on my video card for me it is worth it! Couple that with a kick ass power supply by Seasonic or Corsair and you're set.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 02 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

NVidia has just released the GTX 980 for $549. I liked the lowered TDP on this one.

Review: http://www.gamespot....mpaign=homepage
Benchmarks: http://www.gamespot....m/1100-6422422/

The 770 and 780 series is discontinued.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Titans are for people who are running Cuda apps and don't want to shell out for a Quadro. I don't see why else you would have 12 Gb of VRAM on a graphics card unless you were rendering frames from the latest Star Trek film.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostDustFalcon85, on 19 September 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

NVidia has just released the GTX 980 for $549. I liked the lowered TDP on this one.

Review: http://www.gamespot....mpaign=homepage
Benchmarks: http://www.gamespot....m/1100-6422422/

The 770 and 780 series is discontinued.

Fuck, I gotta sell this thing ASAP so I can get an R9-290.

4GB Asus DirectCU GTX 770. Roughly 100 hours of game time, barely used, and I have the retail box. $250 + shipping if anyone wants it. I was going to sell it on eBay but I won't be able to for a couple weeks, you guys can get first dibs if you want. I'll ship internationally but you'll have to pay customs, obviously.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 20 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

• Polymancer

Hey Viper, My Son has a HD 7700 and hes trying to get the HDMI out to go to his TV. Supposedly they have relegated this card to the dustbin of history and aren't providing any further updates for firmware. I, of course, told him that he would probably be OK with an ATI card if he just wanted to play games. My other Son is now shaking his head at me and saying "Dad, what did you tell me after what happened to that guy with the Firepro? You failed him Dad." There you go, I have failed my family because of ATI and I'm a crap Father. Thanks ATI!!!

Is there any way to flash the firmware or spoof it into thinking it's something else that actually works?

What's the issue you're having with the HDMI? Just for the record, neither company provides all that many VBIOS updates to their OEM's, unless it's a critical issue like the screen jumping on the R9-280X, for example.

I don't see how the HDMI issues would be related to the VBIOS. What is the issue you're having?

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 07 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

• Polymancer

The machine was switched off when I was there. I'll talk to him tonight and get some more info.

http://uk.pcpartpick...parts/partlist/
Could anyone build a PC, that can play games on medium/low on higher than 40 FPS, for less than 420 British Pound? Seriously i'm struggling to build one. It's my first time and it's tough enough as it is.. I don't really mind the whole Radeon vs Nvidia. As long as I can play old games and new games on a decent level.. :) thanks in advantage guys.
(and yes I tried all the builds from youtube etc., everyone keeps telling me to do another combo all the time, and since I have no experience whatsoever I am asking in here.)

Motion to close this thread and start three new ones.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

"Which is your favorite video card brand?"
Posted Image
Spoiler

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 13 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

3dfx was only good because no one else could match their performance. Also no one else had cards that could run alongside ANY computer with integrated video.

Their products were pretty shitty, in retrospect.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 15 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

• Polymancer

Matrox were awesome for a while. Good, cheap (relatively) and excellent image quality.

I'm replacing my ATI card with Nvidia because of better driver and third-party support (Inspector). The ATI equivalent of Inspector (RadeonPro) is currently on hold by the dev since he was hired by ATI and stopped caring, it seems.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 09 November 2014 - 02:42 AM

Mind if I bump this?

Hey Person of Color. You'll like this $199 Radeon RX 480 card. It's VR-ready!

http://www.gamespot....y/1100-6440366/

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 01 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I posted about it in my upgrades thread. I was wondering what his opinion was...obviously he'd be for it, I suppose.

Any card that claims to have near GTX 980 peformance for $200 is awesome. But I'd wait for benchmarks to come out.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I'm still thinking hard about the GTX 970. It's got a good price for decent benchmarks. I'm still leery of anything Radeon...

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 03 June 2016 - 05:26 AM

I'm leery of anything that lies about being 4GB.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 05 June 2016 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

The thing that has kept me away from ATI/AMD for ages is the huge difference in driver quality.

• The Sarien Encounter

Same. But the price might just be too good to ignore.

It's only inferior for professional OpenGL stuff.

I've had better luck with really DirectX stuff with Radeon cards, actually. The GTX 770 was a major step down from my 6970 and R9 290.

I haven't had any driver issues with either of my Radeon cards or the 3670 in my old Dell Studio XPS. It's really just a meme at this point.

I'm aware of the bad December update that bricked some models of cards due to faulty fan maps, but Nvidia's done that multiple times as well. I always wait a few days before updating drivers for that reason. I've seen it happen too many times over the years. They usually pull those drivers before the end of the day.

Keep in mind that neither Nvidia or AMD give a rats ass about you, Nvidia just cares significantly less. If you're buying a video card and want to be loved and care for, buy EVGA or XFX. No one else will literally lick your balls to make you satisfied.

I use EVGA power supplies religiously at this point. Lightning fast RMA if something breaks, and they're generally better quality than an equivalent Corsair model which is far more money.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 07 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm a fan of EVGA myself. My 460 is an EVGA.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostPerson of Color, on 07 June 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

It's only inferior for professional OpenGL stuff.

That is one example, but it's a much bigger problem than that.

http://richg42.blogs...er-quality.html

A is NVIDIA, B is AMD, C is Intel

• Polymancer

It's not just OpenGL - OpenCL has a patchy history at best. The 3D software Blender has been working directly with AMD and after 3 years they still can't get the OpenCL version of their renderer to work properly.

Most graphics apps (Octane, Photoshop, Blender/Cycles) are all written to work on Nvidias CUDA - and they work. Stuff on AMD's OpenCL - not so much. AMD's 'professional' cards are a joke. Loads of weird screen artifacts (ghosting etc). The final straw for me was when I called up their 'premier' helpline and had to talk to a complete idiot who's main vocabulary seemed to be "Uhhhhhh" and "Ummmm". I had to tell him what the latest driver version was!!!!

With every person who I've been roped in to help with weird AMD card issues, after a lot of BS with trying different drivers and card slots - the best remedy has always been to remove said PoS card and replace it with an Nvidia card. 99.999% success rate.

I have no idea why people still use AMD cards. - The CPUs are great - not as fast as Intel, but good solid machines. The graphics cards though - Jesus Christ!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 09 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostTea Monster, on 09 June 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

It's not just OpenGL - OpenCL has a patchy history at best. The 3D software Blender has been working directly with AMD and after 3 years they still can't get the OpenCL version of their renderer to work properly.

Most graphics apps (Octane, Photoshop, Blender/Cycles) are all written to work on Nvidias CUDA - and they work. Stuff on AMD's OpenCL - not so much. AMD's 'professional' cards are a joke. Loads of weird screen artifacts (ghosting etc). The final straw for me was when I called up their 'premier' helpline and had to talk to a complete idiot who's main vocabulary seemed to be "Uhhhhhh" and "Ummmm". I had to tell him what the latest driver version was!!!!

With every person who I've been roped in to help with weird AMD card issues, after a lot of BS with trying different drivers and card slots - the best remedy has always been to remove said PoS card and replace it with an Nvidia card. 99.999% success rate.

I have no idea why people still use AMD cards. - The CPUs are great - not as fast as Intel, but good solid machines. The graphics cards though - Jesus Christ!

It doesn't matter the graphics api, AMD graphics cards always have glitches and fail cases that don't happen on NVIDIA cards. It always seems to be driver related, there hardware is pretty solid; which is a damn shame.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 10 June 2016 - 06:33 AM

OpenGL is irrelevant for people who don't create content, and it's going to be replaced with Vulkan soon.

Their DirectX code is solid. If you play games, go outside, and talk to people like a proper extrovert, you're not going to have OpenGL issues because you're enjoying life. The same goes for both vendors. Aside from minor hiccups Nvidia and AMD cards are solid as shit for gaming.

Do you use OpenGL?

A. No, I've seen a vagina and really enjoy sex, it's a lot of fun and you should try it

or

B. Yes, Nvidia all the way, brb gotta fill this pocket pussy with my boner butter and stain my dakimakura

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 12 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

What about the people who play all that content that OpenGL users create? They somehow magically don't need OpenGL? Like, I don't know, every source port ever made?

And no, I don't go outside. I'm happy with knowing everyone that I know and don't like meeting people. I dislike nature. I'm inside basically all the time. My wife and two kids love going outside, and once in a blue moon I'll join them, but otherwise I'm an introvert. Quiet, contemplative, and a computer nerd.....with a wife of 10 years and two kids.

User is offline   Hank 

I'm dah outdoor kinda guy. We hain't got no indoor plumming, and I get to go out dah door at leest a couple of times in a day. Last time I did got out, I asked my neighbors, squirrels, what's better, AMD or nVidia, they did look at me, short like, and ran for it.

http://www.techradar...cs-cards-699480

View PostHank, on 12 June 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

I'm dah outdoor kinda guy. We hain't got no indoor plumming

I have indoor plumbing but there's just something so liberating about pissing outside. 72 degrees with a mild breeze puts the tip of my penis at ease.

View PostPerson of Color, on 12 June 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

Their DirectX code is solid.

AMD's Direct3D support is better then there OpenGL support, but it's still buggy. With the rise of Vulkan and Direct3D 12, this might become less of an issue.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 13 June 2016 - 04:49 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options