• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those simple questions thread  "Simple questions, simple answers"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hank, on 19 April 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

I love DukeRes, and also used it since 1999. Still, I need(ed) Edit Art to define the pink colour.

This is not a problem with DukeRes (or even EditArt.) This is a problem with whatever image program you're using selecting the first colour in the palette. The fullbright pink and the transparency pink are the same value.

User is offline   Gambini 

But if you save an 8bts bmp with alpha bit (which is possbile in photoshop) BastArt recognizes it as the transparent pink color! Never cared to import files using dukeres it always says my files arent 8bits, even when they are.

For the alphabit thing i do:
- convert in 8bits indexed (using duke palette)
- go to color tables and use the picker on the transparent pink.
- hit enter, select the pink area and delete it.
- save the file, photoshop will automatically try to make you save it in a format alpha-compatible, but just select bmp and that´s it

That may sound as too much work but I made hotkeys for 8bit conversions and color tables which allow me to export a set of about 30 tiles, from a single sheet, in a matter of 10 minutes.

M - select - Ctrl+N - writename - enter - Ctrl+V - Ctrl+Rclick on layer - Ctr+shift+i - ctrl+F1 (my custom hotkey) + Enter + Enter + Ctrl+Shift+F1 (my other custom hotkey) + click on purple + Enter + Delete + Ctrl+S + enter + Crlt+W and that´s is it! repeat the chore 30 times and you have your set ready to go. Once you´re used to it, your subconscious does it for you :)

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I actually get around the issue by copying a square of pink from a sprite I imported straight from duke into whatever sprite I'm working on, paste it in and scale it to fit the entire background, and then when you save it it will work as transparency in the game.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 21 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

People come up with some strange shit that they feel is easier..... But whatever works for you.

Maybe i can help you. Here is an bug fixed Duke Res with additional help text files about color transparent 252,0,252, etc...

http://filesmelt.com/dl/ART_Editor.rar

User is offline   Jblade 

Metalwolf, on 21 April 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

By this I mean having two enemies of the exact same type (ex. Trooper Captain) but having different color armor. say a Trooper Captain wearing blue armor in the same room with a Trooper Captain wearing red armor. In the old version of Build you could have one color of their palette (red or blue) per map, but you couldn't have both (red and blue.)

A Trooper Captain can only have Red armour; not sure what you're refering to here but giving a liztroop a palette of 21 will make it a captain enabling it to use the little teleport device thing on it's wrist. You can have lots of different coloured liztroops in the same map even in the old Build version, but only the 21 pal will be made a captain (This can of course be changed in CON files)

Another question to add, what was the original limit of sprites, sectors and walls? It's been a while (years) since I have touched any version of Build, and since I know now that this limit has gone up, I need something to compare it to. :)

The sectors were 1024 and the walls and sprites were both 8192, IIRC. It was very common for authors to run out of sectors before walls in the old day, but with the new limits that's no longer a problem (The new number of walls and sprites are a hard limit and can't be increased without a huge amount of rewrites, which would also break lots of other stuff)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Every limit the game has from ones you would think of (walls, sectors, sprites) to ones you wouldn't (sounds, definitions, quotes) are pretty much raised as high as possible.

This post has been edited by JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy: 25 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Hey guys, I need a script to turn all sectors in my map to normal, ceilings and floors. There are some floors and ceilings which I accidentally left transparent and I want them to be normal without going one by one pressing T.

gamevar i 0 1

defstate davox

for i allsectors
{
    ife sector[i].ceilingstat 136
	{
    set sector[i].ceilingstat 8
	}
	ife sector[i].ceilingstat 264
	{
	}
	ife sector[i].ceilingstat 392
	{
	}
	ife sector[i].floorstat 136
	{
    set sector[i].floorstat 8
	}
	ife sector[i].floorstat 264
	{
	}
	ife sector[i].floorstat 392
	{
	}
}

ends

However you need more for the expanded textures and relative alligned ones. Those should end with a cstat of 60 but each combination has a different cstat.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Untested:
for i allsectors { and sector[i].ceilingstat 0xfffffe7f, and sector[i].floorstat 0xfffffe7f }

Gambini: I think DavoX only wants to revert translucency. Also, the translucency bits for floor/ceiling are 128 and 256, with somewhat unconventional semantics. See build.h and search for "ceilingstat" there.
edit: I see you've used them too, but only as special cases.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

A more important question would be : where do I put all this? :)

• EDuke32 Developer

DavoX, on 04 May 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

A more important question would be : where do I put all this? :)

My solution -- just enter it into the console [~], prepended by do. Gambini's version -- best to forget about it, he's a mapper :).

heh :) it worked in my test map

User is offline   Jblade 

Jimmy, on 25 April 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

Every limit the game has from ones you would think of (walls, sectors, sprites) to ones you wouldn't (sounds, definitions, quotes) are pretty much raised as high as possible.

I think that sounds probably could go right up to 16384 from what it is now, but 4096 is a good number (for now, but I'm already at about sound 2414 so in a few years time I hope helix will raise them again for me :))

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

My map says "moderate corruption". Is there any way to track or solve these issues?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Type "corruptcheck tryfix" in the console for a quick fix. But if it's just a small number of corruptions, it might be better to cycle through them one by one.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

That's what I want to do, where do I cycle through them one by one?

EDIT: That seemed to fix it Micky C, thanks. Although it said something like "corrected slope" and things like that. Should I be worried that sectors might've lost their slope?

This post has been edited by DavoX: 08 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

i am intrigued by that feature too, everytime i open one of my old maps in a recent version of mapster32 it always has a crazy amount of 'corruptions' (sometimes over a hundred), but the corresponding maps actually play perfectly well in game and noone ever mentioned anything about them even though they have been pretty popular online for years. i am curious as to what qualifies as a corruption according to this automatic detection feature exactly.

• Honored Donor

DavoX, on 08 May 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

That's what I want to do, where do I cycle through them one by one?

EDIT: That seemed to fix it Micky C, thanks. Although it said something like "corrected slope" and things like that. Should I be worried that sectors might've lost their slope?

I think it's something like alt + [ or ], or was it < or >. Hmm, something like that, but sounds like you fixed the problem anyway. I wouldn't be worried about the slopes. It's just that a while back there was some problem where sectors would occasionally randomly (kind of) reset their slope to 0. I brought this up with Helix, he said something I didn't understand then added something to the corruption checker so that if you fix these slope "corruptions", it eliminates the chance of this slope reset. So your slopes are perfectly fine.

ck3D, on 08 May 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

i am intrigued by that feature too, everytime i open one of my old maps in a recent version of mapster32 it always has a crazy amount of 'corruptions' (sometimes over a hundred), but the corresponding maps actually play perfectly well in game and noone ever mentioned anything about them even though they have been pretty popular online for years. i am curious as to what qualifies as a corruption according to this automatic detection feature exactly.

There are 5 levels of map corruption, levels 1 and 2 are not so bad. Level 3 is a little bit serious. Levels 4 and 5 on the other hand.... you're going to want to fix those pretty quick before you end up nuking half your map.

Most of them are pretty harmless, like that weird slope thing, or a sprite outside of a sector, ranging to moderate things like you've dragged a wall so it overlaps itself or something like that.

• EDuke32 Developer

Micky C, on 08 May 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

I wouldn't be worried about the slopes. It's just that a while back there was some problem where sectors would occasionally randomly (kind of) reset their slope to 0.

It merely resets the ceiling/floor's .*heinum member to 0 if the corresponding .*stat does not have bit 2 set. The engine only draws slopes conditionally on having that bit set, so a nonzero .heinum has no effect if it is not (you could use it for steganography if you're so inclined). The label "corruption" is a bit undeserved for levels 1 and 2.

As for the more serious ones, I compiled some messages in a wiki entry.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I was doing some complicated spritework yesterday and by accident I rotated a bunch of selected sprites at the same time while keeping the shape of the structure, only rotated, which was awesome, but couldn't replicate it later. How is it done?

• EDuke32 Developer

DavoX, on 11 May 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

I was doing some complicated spritework yesterday and by accident I rotated a bunch of selected sprites at the same time while keeping the shape of the structure, only rotated, which was awesome, but couldn't replicate it later. How is it done?

Shift + RMB.

• Honored Donor

Is there any way I can make a teleporter effect actually stay within it's sector? I've got a teleporting sector in a subway vehicle, and going from the subway to the destination is ok, but coming from the destination to the subway places the player at the coords of the SE rather than at the location of the moving sector.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Is there a way to select a bunch of sprites and give them all the same hitag? useful for when you want sprites to explode.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I guess no ;)

Is there a way to make vents unbreakable?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Without .art files, you can try making them masked walls, but I am not sure if they don't work as masked walls too.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You can turn off blocking and hitscan, but explosions will still break it I think.

• EDuke32 Developer

DavoX, on 13 May 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Is there a way to select a bunch of sprites and give them all the same hitag? useful for when you want sprites to explode.

It's an m32script one-liner. Seriously, I think I'm doing you a greater favor by kindly asking you to RTFM than by posting it here ;). If there's one thing it's good for, it's these kinds of batch modifications.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Heh ok ;)

If I place a medkit on a pallette 1 floor, it dissapears in game , is that normal? (the medkit doesn't have a pallette)

• EDuke32 Developer

DavoX, on 16 May 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

If I place a medkit on a pallette 1 floor, it dissapears in game , is that normal? (the medkit doesn't have a pallette)

Doesn't happen here, I tested all three (COLA, SIXPAK, FIRSTAID).

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options