Duke4.net Forums: Duke nukem 3d megaton edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke nukem 3d megaton edition

User is offline   nsinger998 

Will eduke32 benefit from its release and or will HRP be ported to it? If HRP can be ported then performance will be greatly improved.

User is offline   Lunick 

As far as I know:

eduke32 will be able to search for Megaton's directory and use the duke3d.grp file and the addons without actually moving the group files to eduke32's location.

I highly doubt anyone will want to port the HRP to an old version of jfduke but it is possible:
Posted Image
*Note, this uses a way out of date HRP version*

User is offline   RoyBatty 

:implied facepalm:

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Welcome. :)

Once the source code is released, we may be able to find small things to bring over, but EDuke32 is more advanced in the family tree of source ports and Megaton doesn't have much to offer in the first place.

For your second question, your pronouns give your sentence an ambiguous meaning, so I'll try to fully explain all possibilities. The HRP is designed for use with EDuke32; EDuke32 has had a number of features added over the years to give the HRP more capabilities. The Megaton port, being based on an older predecessor of EDuke32, does not support some of these features. To my knowledge, the HRP will crash completely with Megaton unless you remove skyboxes. (That's Megaton's fault, not the HRP's.)

Performance probably would not change even if the HRP were "ported" to work with Megaton. You may be using EDuke32's new Polymer renderer which is resource-intensive and a work-in-progress. Try disabling Polymer and using Polymost, the older but faster renderer that Megaton also uses. With EDuke32, it should be a comparable speed or slightly faster.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postnsinger998, on 26 March 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

If HRP can be ported then performance will be greatly improved.

No it will not.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 27 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Ah, okay. I was led to believe the megaton edition would be superior to eduke32.

Does polymost work with HRP now? Because it didn't seem to load the hd stuff in earlier versions.

• Weaponized Autism

View Postnsinger998, on 27 March 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

Ah, okay. I was led to believe the megaton edition would be superior to eduke32.

Could you tell us where you heard this?

Does polymost work with HRP now? Because it didn't seem to load the hd stuff in earlier versions.

Yes, EDuke32's Polymost can run the HRP just fine. Forum member LeoD would be the best one to ask about that.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I wonder who led you to believe this and why.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

In high school terms, eduke32 is the multi-year, thoroughly worked-on extended essay, while megaton is a rushed essay done the night before it was due and with plagiarism from everyone else.
I'm not damning megaton, it does the job more or less and anything that bring more attention to Duke is good, but IMO that's a good analogy Posted Image

I meant that the advertisements and steam listing had given me the wrong idea

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't see anything saying it is better than eduke32 or actually list much saying how good it is.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It's sort of like this. The makers of the Megaton edition have chosen an earlier, slightly less technically capable version of Duke Nukem to issue with the package. There may be reasons for this, we just don't know them yet. I personally think that they used the JonoF port as a base solely as the XBLA version used that port as a base. XBLA was a commercial and critical success, and you can't argue with that, especially if you are trying to persuade someone to give you money to start up your company, or if your boss has put you in the hot-seat on what version to use and your job depends on picking the 'right' version. That is just my opinion though.

I've done a picture that should explain things a bit better.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 27 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That image: true history.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Posted Image

I know it's not much, but for those who have no knowledge of duke source ports this is a heavy implication. Makes it out as though megaton has some amazing new features when in fact all the main points (not including minor things like mouse menus and achievements) have been around for years.

View PostTea Monster, on 27 March 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

There may be reasons for this, we just don't know them yet.

Edit: Fox Tea Monster, they chose JonoF because as a commerical product they need full control over the executable. Plus, all they needed was something that allows casual players to easily play the game. They were already familar with Jono's work due to the Shadow Warrior iOS port. Besides, even if they did use eduke32 (which is a lot more complicated and therefore more work) they would
A: Either choose an old one, in which case several key features would still be missing and people would still complain about something (besides, there'd still be bugs around), or
B: They could use the latest eduke32 all the time with all its incomplete features and constantly having to update the executable as things progress.
And it's not worth the work since eduke32 is always going to be around as a substitute anyway.

This post has been edited by Trooper Mick: 27 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I don't care what anyone says, EDuke32 is still a caveman without finished multiplayer.

User is offline   Juras 

DNF is vacuum, jonof is dinosaur, megaton is shit pulled from dinosaur ass, eduke is caveman, orginal duke 3d is GOD who created everything, xduke/hduke is son of the God
Sorry but that's how I see it on this day.

This post has been edited by Juras: 27 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

User is offline   Fox 

God is dead.

User is offline   Juras 

Maybe, but son of the God is not dead.
Edit: Eduke (with fixed netcode) would be Titan

This post has been edited by Juras: 27 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

staggering a bit strangely, and smells a bit, but not dead

Got it - UNdead! :)

User is offline   Player Lin 

Undead was dead. :)

Old-school is good and cool, but not god-like as always.

Seriously, using eduke32 will still more problematic than the Megaton one. But, who cares. If something doesn't works and user will blames, that's it.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 27 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Actually, re-releasing Shadow Warrior might make more sense than this. AFAIK there is only one decent port out there right now, which is SWP. It's still nothing like EDuke32, but at least you can play the game with it. If they are unable to beat that port with a Steam release, it'll be quite poor. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNightFright, on 27 March 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Actually, re-releasing Shadow Warrior might make more sense than this. AFAIK there is only one decent port out there right now, which is SWP. It's still nothing like EDuke32, but at least you can play the game with it. If they are unable to beat that port with a Steam release, it'll be quite poor. :)

All they have to do is port their iOS port and I'd be super happy with that.

I also don't call SWP playable either because save files are broken.

• Judge Mental

Posted Image

I love you for this.

View PostTrooper Mick, on 27 March 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

In high school terms, eduke32 is the multi-year, thoroughly worked-on extended essay, while megaton is a rushed essay done the night before it was due and with plagiarism from everyone else.
I'm not damning megaton, it does the job more or less and anything that bring more attention to Duke is good, but IMO that's a good analogy Posted Image

I have to disagree on one point. Not anything that brings more attention is good. This is decidedly bad attention. If it had been a great port, and got the attention of more level designers, programmers, etc... That'd be great. But instead this is another bad news betty for the Duke Nukem community.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 27 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

-snip-

There's just one little mistake: you're (unconsciously) saying that DNF is slighty better than Duke3D and has a better "face" (graphics), but many would agree it only has a better face. =P

• Judge Mental

View PostLkMax, on 27 March 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

There's just one little mistake: you're (unconsciously) saying that DNF is slighty better than Duke3D and has a better "face" (graphics), but many would agree it only has a better face. =P

Even that much is debatable. The graphics in the original game may be out dated by today's standards, but the aesthetic of the original game still holds up in terms of style. Duke Forever had some downright ugly work.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks266, on 27 March 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

Forum member LeoD would be the best one to ask about that.

Hm, I don't quite understand the question. Technically, Polymost always worked with the HRP, although it did not really look as intended for some time. What is it and what earlier versions are you referring to?

• Weaponized Autism

I'm talking about "Polymost mode" in the defs.

To me it seemed that polymost in earlier versions of eduke32 wouldn't use the HRP stuff. I think it might have been missing settings In game to enable the stuff when using polymost.

This post has been edited by nsinger998: 27 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's sort of like this. The makers of the Megaton edition have chosen an earlier, slightly less technically capable version of Duke Nukem to issue with the package.

I would say this is a brash understatement.

View PostNightFright, on 27 March 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

SWP is okay, but unreleasable and in some ways unplayable. ProAsm wasn't much of a programmer, and he admits this himself. Hence the cease of updates to SWP.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options