Duke4.net Forums: CONfetti for Polymer [RELEASE V1.11] - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CONfetti for Polymer [RELEASE V1.11]  "Control Polymer lights!"

This post was edited around 9 posts into the thread, relevance may be sketchy there now. It was then edited further to avoid potential legal disputes.

Ever wanted to turn Polymer lights on and off? Ever wanted them to flicker, rotate or tilt? Now it's possible! All you need is this CON supplement and you can build that underground rave you always wanted!

Shown in this video are some of the effects possible in V1.1;

How to use
There are more effects than in Version 1.0 and we'd be here all day. A html documentation is now included or you can read it at http://treason.dyndn...dna/control.htm

Enjoy and should anybody want anything else added let me know, it doesn't have to be lighting related, as long as it isn't too complicated, doesn't drastically alter gameplay or require new external resources (no art, sounds etc) - this isn't DukePlus and I don't plan on it ever resembling it.

Distribution is of course fine, bundle it with your maps or mods or whatever, just make sure my name stays at the top of the CON file and if you modify the CON file you should add your own name too.

Download
Attached File  CONfetti_V1.11.rar (13.01K)
Number of downloads: 298

This post has been edited by High Treason: 31 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHigh Treason, on 29 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

SE49:

To make it controlled by light switches put it in the desired sector and set up your sector lighting as usual, now make a note of the shade value of the sector's floor when the lights are off, it MUST be less than 64. Set the angle to this and the light will come on if the sector's floor is brighter than that shade, it will go off again if the floor is shaded to that value again.

I hope you plan to put this on the wiki! Posted Image
Right now for reason only known to my computer deamon, I can't see any polymer lights, so I can't check it. Yet, your post reads that it is the kind of information mappers need. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 29 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't think it's Wiki-Worthy, it's just a gimmicky con file. It'll have a documentation included similar to the one DukePlus has in later revisions, this one is mostly just a test-run. (mini-edit: if it catches on, I suppose it could be added to the mod list over there).

Try typing into the console;
r_pr_lighting 1
restartvid

As it may have been disabled by something a long time ago.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 29 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

User is offline   Hank 

There is little to no information about how to use those polymer lights on the wiki !?! Only a very dull table, thingy. Posted Image
I have at least five tutorials on how to make a lights work in QuakeII; why not EDuke32? Posted Image

Also, I think my own problems have something to do with the on going AMD fiasco.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The lights in eduke32 aren't exactly that complicated. The table is all you need. Perhaps you mean the lights aren't well advertised to new comers searching the wiki as a feature? I kinda get what you're saying if that's the case. It's things like the lights that draw in young mappers, so they should be fairly obvious.

Edit: Wow, that travelling light was cool. I mean you could probably achieve something similar with a two way train, but I think that looks a lot better.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Okay, this is pretty damn sweet.

Three cheers for High Treason!

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 30 January 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

The lights in eduke32 aren't exactly that complicated. The table is all you need. Perhaps you mean the lights aren't well advertised to new comers searching the wiki as a feature? I kinda get what you're saying if that's the case. It's things like the lights that draw in young mappers, so they should be fairly obvious.

I did not know you are an authority in educational literature; or where the additional information provided by High Treason is described any where on the current wiki.
You have no idea how sick and tired I am of this customary arrogance from the insider know it alls. Everything is simple once you understand it. The train of thought required to accept that an SE sprite functions for the illumination of the map and how to use the F8 command and how the XVELetc = RBG Value is not that self evident. It could be methodically explained. But since it is like so easy, hey, High Treason is right - why waste time with it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What are you talking about? I wasn't referring to High Treason's lights, I was referring to the vanilla Duke lights. High Treason's new lights features should not be put on the wiki because they are a random unofficial con file.
And btw I was agreeing with you that the explanations are just tucked away in an SE Effects Table, and that beginners who want to figure out how to make the lights might not realize they have to look there, so that we should perhaps have a page/section/paragraph somewhere easy to find. Once that happens, then maybe we can start adding additional explanations.

Despite now being at risk of derailing my thread, I've spent a short while contemplating the Wiki and what is currently there, whilst I think instructions for such things are more suited to the infosuite (infosuite.duke4.net) I don't think anybody would protest if I added a page for each (vanilla) SE which described what they did and how to use them in more detail than the table found here or the general guide here and then use the table in the reference guide to link to each page. Some SE's already have their own articles anyway such as SE0, although my pages would be formatted differently to those.

In the case of controlling the lights, I could then just add that turning them on and off is currently impossible without using DukePlus or CONtrol and reading their corresponding documentations.

Edit: I have continued in what I believe to be the appropriate thread.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 31 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Just note that CON files stand for CONtrol, as stated by Todd Replogle on an old Duke site (might have been Reaper_Man's).

Eek, I read that it was CONfiguration... But that was from some bloke on the internet and not a source like Todd (who would know what he was talking about) also it did seem odd how there were .CFG files which apparently meant the same... I guess I probably shouldn't use that name, damn, I thought it was cool too. I'll get the dictionary out and change it before someone sues me.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 31 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Someone one theorized it was "C On Narcotics". I laughed. :P

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That was also Reaper_Man.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostHigh Treason, on 29 January 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I don't think it's Wiki-Worthy, it's just a gimmicky con file.

Well there's this section solely meant for stuff like this. I think it would be a nice addition.

EDIT: Forgot to say awesome job! Looks really smooth too :P

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 15 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options