Duke4.net Forums: [DEMAND] Add what you know to the wiki - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[DEMAND] Add what you know to the wiki

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

EDukeWiki, promoting reading things instead of asking stupid questions since 2005. The central body of Duke 3D information exists right here but it is underdeveloped and underutilized.

What tactics, tools, tips, and tricks help you do what you do? Mappers, coders, modelers, and artists can all benefit from sharing knowledge in an organized paradigm.

Did you learn something about EDuke32 today? If not already on the wiki, add it.

Anything useful from the Tutorials & Resources thread (and its predecessor on 3D Realms) should be gutted and added to the wiki in an organized fashion en masse.

TX figured out how to rip the spambots a new one. The gates are as open as ever for you to contribute.

Thanks to those users who add variety to the recent changes log every now and then.

Any questions or discussions about anything that needs planning can happen here.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Well I already added that entire section on TROR, that's gotta do me for a while Posted Image

I do also have that speed mapping guide aimed at noobs telling them useful shortcuts and techniques to map a lot faster, which I should probably tweak soon, but I imagine that should be separate from the wiki otherwise it'll become bloated with everyone's personal tips and hints and make it harder to get to the core information.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

One thing I might be able to work on, and it may be of some use is getting a good page up there about the current status of the multiplayer, and the available options, and how specifically to get them up and running.

• Honored Donor

What's wrong with this: http://wiki.eduke32....iki/Multiplayer
Worst case scenario you just tweak that page a bit.

One of my big worries about the wiki is that Helix has been adding some really useful new features to mapster over the past few years and I'm not sure if those key commands are making it to the wiki list. Especially that newest feature for resizing and rotating sets of sprites and sectors.

User is offline   Lunick 

As soon as I saw DEMAND in the title I knew it was a thread made by Hendricks266.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 01 January 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

One of my big worries about the wiki is that Helix has been adding some really useful new features to mapster over the past few years and I'm not sure if those key commands are making it to the wiki list. Especially that newest feature for resizing and rotating sets of sprites and sectors.

http://wiki.eduke32....&action=history

I try to keep up with my coding, but I guess it always lags behind a little. If you click on the "prev" link on the left hand side, you'll get a comparison of a particular revision with its predecessor.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHendricks266, on 31 December 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

Any questions or discussions about anything that needs planning can happen here.

Just a thought
How about an incentive to add stuff to the wiki?
Like an ego title below the avatar as in "Proud contributor to the EDuke32 Wiki" or something else.
That way the wiki gets noticed more and hopefully more people are willing to post their knowledge.

This post has been edited by Hank: 01 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I can't say I've been keeping up with the Polymer stuff I added; if someone could write a piece about how to get a full set of texture maps going on with a proper specular material, parallaxing, etc.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMicky C, on 01 January 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

What's wrong with this: http://wiki.eduke32....iki/Multiplayer
Worst case scenario you just tweak that page a bit.

There's a many number of problems with it. For one, that's not the right version of Eduke32 that should be used for play with internet. I explained this many times. That version includes Polymer, and it's the first version that starts having desync issues on a major scale (water in particular is a major problem.) A version from 2008 is the best version to use all around.

Also it doesn't really explain the usage of YANG, opening ports (citing links), explain issues with various mods compatibilities. Etc. There's a lot of information that could go into it that's just not there.

View PostPlagman, on 01 January 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I can't say I've been keeping up with the Polymer stuff I added; if someone could write a piece about how to get a full set of texture maps going on with a proper specular material, parallaxing, etc.

Yes, please. Somebody should really do this.

User is offline   Zagro 

Maybe a little off topic, but the link to BUILDLIC at http://eduke32.com/#buildlic is broken.

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Is there a centralized/organized place to put example code / code snippetts? Is that something that's even wanted on the wiki? I have a number of code ideas that are only a few hundred lines long at most that someone in the near-to-distant future may find useful, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostReaper_Man, on 04 January 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Is there a centralized/organized place to put example code / code snippetts? Is that something that's even wanted on the wiki? I have a number of code ideas that are only a few hundred lines long at most that someone in the near-to-distant future may find useful, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

how about this one? Check also with Hendricks266.
http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Tutorials

as for if it is wanted - I do Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

Tutorials FTW. Just make sure your code and tutorials are formatted nicely.

Speaking of which, all wiki contributors should read or at least glance at:

https://en.wikipedia...edia:Cheatsheet
https://en.wikipedia...elp:Wiki_markup
https://www.mediawik...Help:Formatting

Note that Wikipedia has a lot of formatting extensions installed that we don't have (or need).

I'm thinking of signing up and trying to contribute some stuff. Probably will be tutorials and maybe a few code examples where no examples were provided.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 04 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHigh Treason, on 04 January 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

I'm thinking of signing up ...

There is little thought required Posted Image to sign up

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I had like to contribute to a Duke Nukem general Wiki, althought the only existing one is a Wikia, which can be a pain...

• Weaponized Autism

The Duke Nukem Wikia is run by Nacho, so talk to him if you have trouble.

The Cutting Room Floor is another kickass wiki. At one point I was considering dumping my site's beta page contents into them, but I decided it would be better to wait until I write a program to perform detailed batch analysis and replace what I did manually (and do a page for Blood in addition to SW and Duke).

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Well, it's not like I have a problem with the wiki itself, but with the Wikia as a whole.

User is offline   Kyanos 

http://wiki.eduke32....ki/Highpalookup

I made a page.

I created a page for the tutorials section, it is aimed at novice coders as I found simple breakables helpful when I was learning CON.

The page can be found here; http://wiki.eduke32....Breakable_Actor

I haven't yet moved it as I want to be sure that it is up to scratch before I take the time to add it to the list.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Good tut, good code commenting. Very clear and precise, great starting point for learning con. If we had a small series of tuts like this, aimed at novices, someone could come along and make an actual enemy in a few short lessons.

• Honored Donor

That's a fantastic tutorial, I love how you provide links to the commands that you're using so you can read them in more detail, without cluttering up the page! I also love how it assumes you know almost nothing about code, telling the player exactly where to put the code, and commenting every single line (except where the lines are obviously duplicates). Much clearer and easier to understand for a noob like me than those other supposedly easy tutorials (which IMO could be explained better). I'd love to see more from you High Treason.

Can I also request that someone add a section somewhere about how to make and add clipshape maps? I couldn't find anything on it and it really should be documented there.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHigh Treason, on 07 January 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

... here; http://wiki.eduke32....Breakable_Actor

I haven't yet moved it as I want to be sure that it is up to scratch before I take the time to add it to the list.

Just change 'reffered' to 'referred', and I'll give you a hug AND kiss :P

This post has been edited by Hank: 07 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

• Honored Donor

He also misspelled "breakable" in the first sentence.

OK, I have corrected spellings (shall spellcheck future articles) and added the page to the Tutorials catagory as well as the table on the Tutorials page (Under 'Create Breakable Actors') - that was scary knowing I was modifying a page someone else made (the table), but I'll get used to it. Took me a few attempts to get some stuff right, but I'll get used to the software too.

If there are any protests to this I can undo it, though I don't think there will be any problems. I may write a few more in the future, perhaps becoming slightly more complex each time until a user could make a simple npc/enemy by combining what they had learned. In the coming days I plan to seek out some of the command, structure and var pages that either don't exist or don't say much and elaborate on them slightly - for example, stating that ifwasweapon must be below ifhitweapon as this might not be immediately obvious, feel free to beat me to it.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDrek, on 07 January 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

It looks like you've got a good start on a topic previously in need of explanation. :P

I made an edit; because the revision differences aren't too helpful, here are some things to keep in mind for formatting:
  • Links to other pages on the same wiki are formatted [[page title]]; if you have plurals something like [[gamevar]]s shows up neatly formatted; the pipe '|' character can be used to change the displayed text (the example from the first paragraph: [[palette (environment)|palette swaps]])
  • URLs can have custom text in the format [http://www.url.com link title]
  • [[Wikipedia:article]] will link to a Wikipedia article
  • Script files and code can be formatted by putting a blank space before each line. If you have an empty line in the code, add a space to it too, or the code blocks will appear separate. Some examples use the <pre></pre> tags but I discourage this because it disables wiki formatting within the code.
  • Unordered lists, useful for sets of links, can be made by prepending each line with an asterisk '*'. (Ordered lists use '#'.) Multiple list symbols can be used for sublevels and they can be mixed and matched.
  • Article text is most readable when it is simply left in paragraphs in the body of the article.
  • In most cases the "----" can be better served by a level two ==section heading==, and it is always made redundant by one right below it.

These are just procedural and visual points; the content of the article is good.

If you're getting bogged down with the formatting, don't sweat it and make your edits as best you can. I review every wiki edit so I can polish whatever needs it.

One more fact that bears mentioning is that I incorporated bsuite (and unpackssi) into the Build tools, so it works cross-platform using command-line arguments instead of that DOS menu thing.

View PostHigh Treason, on 07 January 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Good tutorial! One adjustment we should consider making is giving the useractors a strength value combined with the ifdead command, like state breakobject.

define WEAKEST           1
define WEAK              5
define MEDIUMSTRENGTH    10
define TOUGH             20
define REALLYTOUGH       30

More on this later.

Due to discussions in this thread, I have decided that each type of SE should have it's own page with a more in-depth look at what it does and how to set it up. The reference guide is fine if you have experience with the effects it lists, but the layout leaves something to be desired.

There were already pages for SE0, SE1 and SE17. I just wrote a page on SE49 and am proposing this as the kind of layout to use on each page, I edited the reference guide so that it points to the relevant pages that currently exist. At the present time I'm probably guilty of causing there to be "Duplicate Information" but I'd argue that I'm making the information more accessible, even to this day I instinctively try to search for things like "SE49" instead of "Sector Effector Reference Guide" and suspect many have done the same as that's what they'd be looking for; a specific effect, not a list with a brief summary crammed into a single row.

It may be useful if some of these pages - such as SE6 - had small images, JPEG would do, but I don't know the policies on this as I immagine somebody is paying for drive space on the server, nor do I currently know how to upload them (though I could read up on it if it turned out I could use them).

I'm also currently unsure wether to point the red "SECTOREFFECTOR" link on that page to the reference guide, the section on the Level Editing page or whatever else, if someone else has any ideas, by all means edit it to point somewhere useful or remove the link entirely as I expect users of the page would know what sectoreffector's were. If the link stays I'll probably just have it point to the level editing page as that is where the redirect goes if one types sectoreffector into the search bar.

• Honored Donor

That's pretty good. I'll spend some time adding/fixing things up today (you said the minimum value for x,y,z vels is 1 Posted Image )

I think it's a great idea to add detailed pages on the SE effects. Because so much more can be done with them then the one or two things they were originally designed for and veteran mapper can create cool and unusual effects, however how to do those things isn't documented anywhere.

Edit: done

This post has been edited by Micky C: 31 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options