Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded - Gearbox Boycott - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded - Gearbox Boycott

User is offline   Bloodshot 

What's that sprite from?

If I had the time, I would totally work on new weapon models, but I've got another project to worry about as-is, and I'd have no idea how to make them properly for Eduke.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostBloodshot, on 24 January 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

What's that sprite from?

Wesker500's Duke Nukem Forever mod. It's the old Duke model from Duke Nukem Forever.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 24 January 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Attachment DNFDuke.jpg

Edit: It's just sprites actually, but I still prefer them over the HRP model.

I do like it. I know he's managed to decompile the models, I wish it could be released as a model. Well, maybe not released, but one could do the work to get it working in game and then create a program that decompiles the model from a legal copy of DNF, exports it for HRP use, and the rest is obvious. Again off topic, but is the topic really going anywhere?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i'm boycotting quakis for not finishing maps

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I've never been a fan of boycotts anyway, least of all boycotts that target my favorite restaurants, software companies, etc..

User is offline   lambdist 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 23 January 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Is there anyway anyone else can get a look at that build per chance?

Yes. Maybe video of gameplay presentation etc. But if someone will leak, so GBX will help them to go to the jail etc. =-)

User is offline   lambdist 

View PostHendricks266, on 23 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Re-imagining? New atmosphere? Make it more modern? HRP not different enough? Why not just make a new game?

People tried, but misunderstanding and other stuff paused the development:
http://www.moddb.com...ax-the-revenger

This post has been edited by lambdist: 27 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

User is offline   Oook 

I'll boycott whoever needed to get Daikatana and Sin Reloaded

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This thread is full of hilarious shit.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 24 January 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

Yeah, i'm sorry, that project from what was actually done, was better than DNF.

LOLOLOL. You mean like four assets and some concept art? DN3DR was pretty much another DNF 2001, all a big hype facade.

View PostForge, on 25 January 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

i'm boycotting quakis for not finishing maps

And this takes the cake as funniest thing I've ever read.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 28 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

A little speculation:

I bet Interceptor themselves were the first ones to pull the plug on DN:R. Gearbox might have let them release something if it wasn't trash and they weren't saying the multiplayer was 90% finished just to build hype, then Gearbox let Interceptor blame them so it wouldn't be so devastating for that small studio. All part of the agenda, simply.

Maybe Gearbox isn't releasing mod tools because they too want DNF to die? Possibly they know very well how much of a crappy game it is and don't want to prolong its misery any longer.

The future of the Duke Nukem franchise is hopeless. As far as I'm concerned, every mod and user map ever made for Duke 3D is my DNF as well as 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.... all the way to 1000th sequel. Long live Duke Nukem 3D!

This post has been edited by Radar: 28 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostRadar, on 28 January 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

A little speculation:

I bet Interceptor themselves were the first ones to pull the plug on DN:R.

You could say the opposite, that Gearbox knows it looks good and has noticed that its been getting tons of attention and under a misguided idea believe it will detract attention away from "their" franchise. (even 3Drealms Scott Miller was impressed and he gave it the greenlight but knows he only has power over Duke Nukem projects related to the build engine or the projects that came out before the franchise changed hands)
Its this rationality that I've been seeing from some triple A companies as of late that I don't understand, treating free fan made projects and modders as threats.
What they think we are competition to triple A titles? they think it will impact their DLC sales? If anything more duke nukem mods and fan projects will encourage people to get the games to see what the fuss is about, a happy community will bring in more people ect They have found themselves with a big IP, it carries with it expectations & responsibilities, mistreatment like this unacceptable, what ever hands it falls into we have the right to speak out & criticize, not be silenced.

You can say that DNF is doomed for what it is thats fine, but heres the ultimatum, we want DN3D Reloaded regardless of what other decisions are made. Gearbox are standing in the way.

View PostAchenar, on 25 January 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

I've never been a fan of boycotts anyway, least of all boycotts that target my favorite restaurants, software companies, etc..

I sometimes feel that way to, but whenever a company crosses the line like they have here, you can try and follow the logic and see how others are, look at all points of view and that can help break the emotional "brand attachment" associated with a persons favorite company.

This post has been edited by theunbeholden: 29 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

It is almost as if 3dRealms never pulled similar stuff.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 29 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Posttheunbeholden, on 29 January 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

You could say the opposite, that Gearbox knows it looks good and has noticed that its been getting tons of attention and under a misguided idea believe it will detract attention away from "their" franchise.

You make no sense at all. If you cared half as much as you claim about DN:R, you would know it's a peice of trash that's never being released and shouldn't be released. I don't want it.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 28 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

LOLOLOL. You mean like four assets and some concept art? DN3DR was pretty much another DNF 2001, all a big hype facade.

That's not fair to DNF 2001, dude...

DN3DR was really on it's own level of incompleteness.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 29 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

This thread is full of hilarious shit.

And this takes the cake as funniest thing I've ever read.

100% Accurate! :P

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Listen, the truth is Gearbox isn't going to do anything about it. As you've seen not everybody cares, and not everybody that buys Gearbox games will know about Duke Nukem or have even bought any of the franchise's games. You have to make people really care about the game, and that's just it DN3D:R is JUST a game. It's not something people are going to kick up too much fuss over except for the minority. The only way to make people really care about the game would be for them to get their hands on it, see what's in it and have fun, but that's obviously not going to happen.

The only chance Interceptor has of ever coming out with that game is keep on marching forward. Maybe there's a chance that after Rise of the Triad, they'll be able to start working on it again if it goes well, but even then that's still probably never going to happen. I mean it's fun that we can sit around and speculate and hope for something new, but you've got to realize we have very little knowledge of the license, how far they really were from being done, and what the game was actually going to be like had it ever been released. You'd probably have better luck fundraising to actually buy the rights to Duke Nukem.

In the mean time let us enjoy what we do have. Maybe we could schedule DN3D matches or tournaments. And when EDuke32 gets online play it will make everything a snap. Then we can work on tweaking performance and who knows what else we could do with the game. I would still love for looking to be changed to angular as opposed to tangents even for something as simple as the complete ability to look up or down. I mean it's exciting with all the new stuff that we do have so let's enjoy it!

All hail the Duke!

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 30 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I couldn't care less about Reloaded, but it was a dick move on Gearbox's part to handle it the way they did.

But I would like to have those damn modtools. I'm sure we could put together a minimod at least.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I wish DNF was never released, people were more happy back then. :P

This post has been edited by Cody: 31 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

You think so? At least DNF is behind us now and we can focus on what's next. I never cared much about DNF fanboyism - and now such a thing no longer exists.

• Glory To Motherland!

Except for those who believe that DNF is the greatest game of its generation, and that critics are "haters".

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I think those people are in short supply at least around here. But then again it's not like there's either "blind fanboys" or "haters" and nothing in between.

User is offline   thatguy 

Yeah, I know. What a disappointing A fan project with completely original assets. haha, fuck me right? Man coming from a modding community that has little original content and majority ripped sprite work. Man, I'm so backwards, how dare I respect incredibly hard work. Oh wait, I'm respecting the work done and not the bullshit politics surrounding the whole ordeal. Fuck me again right?

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 31 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If you are not sure whether someone is stupid or trolling, assume both.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 31 January 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Yeah, I know. What a disappointing A fan project with completely original assets. haha, fuck me right? Man coming from a modding community that has little original content and majority ripped sprite work. Man, I'm so backwards, how dare I respect incredibly hard work. Oh wait, I'm respecting the work done and not the bullshit politics surrounding the whole ordeal. Fuck me again right?

Wut? All they had was fucking models of dumpsters and pipebombs. Give me a fucking break.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'm sure the most plagiarizing Duke mod you could think of still has more original content than what they had finished for DN:R.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostRadar, on 31 January 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I'm sure the most plagiarizing Duke mod you could think of still has more original content than what they had finished for DN:R.

Plagiarism is its own art form in a way. See YouTube Poop Tennis, in particular MycroProcessor.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 31 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 31 January 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Wut? All they had was fucking models of dumpsters and pipebombs. Give me a fucking break.

Yeah, that Pig cop definitely was nothing.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Big woop, one character model. Dude, get over it, you're still stuck to that project's bullshit hype machine.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 31 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Big woop, one character model. Dude, get over it, you're still stuck to that project's bullshit hype machine.

Really? Despite me stating every time that I appreciate the work and not the project? Okay.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options