Duke4.net Forums: My mod - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My mod  "sorry"

User is offline   Discrete 

Hello

I made a small mod. this is my first mod ever. please enjoy

i used first level as a base. I tried to make it look special.

Please sorry me for making this if it failed your excpectations. I really tried my best. I hope to make more mods later.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: screenshot.png

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Discrete: 01 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Welcome. Nice atmosphere by quite simple means. But it needs some more fine tuning and polishing if you'd expect anyone to play it twice. Overall it's too bright. Maybe put some additional work into it before starting the next project.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 01 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Would anyone care to explain what this mod's actually about? Seriously, it doesn't even have a name.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I gave it a try and all I could see is that it blurred out liztroop's faces. I probably did something wrong.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMicky C, on 01 November 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Would anyone care to explain what this mod's actually about? Seriously, it doesn't even have a name.
Some people would call it Very Poor Man's Slenderman.

View PostPlagman, on 01 November 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I gave it a try and all I could see is that it blurred out liztroop's faces. I probably did something wrong.
That's intentional.

User is online   zykov eddy 

What the hell did I just played?

User is offline   Cage 

People die seven days after playing this :D

Props for coaxing something very eerie out of Duke's content, I like the surrealistic feel.

If you'd manage to pull off similar atmosphere, but in an original setting and with some plot/goal, that would be great.

Pretty spooky, but I managed to skip almost the entire level by jumping on a trooper in the alley, jumping on the ledge, and then jumping to the bridge leading to the exit. Just knowing that standard Duke 3D speedrunning techniques could be applied here sort of ruined the creepy atmosphere for me.

I do like how all of Duke's pain and death sounds were replaced by dscrem18, and watch.txt gave me a laugh.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Ok, I tried to run the level again, and something weird happened. Instead of spawning in the beginning of the level I got spawned in a small room with weird faces and writings on the walls. While I was searching for an exit, the ceiling crashed down and killed me. Now this happens every time I'm trying to play the map. Have this happened to somebody else?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 02 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

User is offline   Discrete 

I didn't mean to do that.
Please sorry

i'm making part 2. part 2 will be better.

youll see

For a first mod, it's kinda cool. Creepy atmosphere, not very convincing though but still very cool. Reminds me of the classic dude mods. I completed it in one try. The exit is a deep hole and then death? Was kinda weird. Also the liztroops didn't do any damage, or was I just too scared to be near them for a long time. Anyway, looking forward what you have in mind for the second part of the mod.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostCage, on 01 November 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

If you'd manage to pull off similar atmosphere, but in an original setting and with some plot/goal, that would be great.

Seconding this

User is online   t800 

Atmosphere was bizzare, maybe bit creepy but that was caused particurally by music, after I turned it off it lost its main charm. Gameplay aspect is where this mod lacks and sadly it also somehow diminish its creepy atmosphere. To scare players you also need fear of death, and there is none. Enemies just stalk you everywhere and do nothing afterwards. There is no challenge or obstacles to overcome, just keycard hunt.

Sorry if I was too critical to you, please dont take it as offend. It is just my wellmeant advice for you. It is actually nice for being your very first mod. I admire you for not doing ordinary maps and trying to create something different, experimental. If you want to know what to improve, have a look at some zykov eddy maps. He created some very original and creative mods with strong atmosphere that markedly contrast with ordinary duke mods. Take for example Stairwell, Adream trilogy (mine favourite is second map from it) or his recently released standalone game Slender woods.

Good luck with your next project! :D

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postt800, on 02 November 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

To scare players you also need fear of death, and there is none.

What tells you he was aiming at scaring players? The enemies aren't scary but their faces and behaviour make them unsettling.
Scaryness is not a synonym of horror.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postt800, on 02 November 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Atmosphere was bizzare, maybe bit creepy but that was caused particurally by music, after I turned it off it lost its main charm.

Why would you do that?

View PostMetHy, on 02 November 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

What tells you he was aiming at scaring players? The enemies aren't scary but their faces and behaviour make them unsettling.
Scaryness is not a synonym of horror.

He clearly was. He has you start the game staring right at a freakish face. There's imagery all over the place designed to unsettle, unnerve, startle, and disturb. Yes, he's trying to scare you. Synonym's be damned.

All in all it's not a bad first mod. It reminds me very much of Silent Hill. Like, if Duke's world were plunged into the nether-realm of SH's universe. I like that.

It'd be cool to expand on this, maybe plug in a flash light, and mess up some of the other monsters/give em an attack, and maybe orient the mod around solving puzzles/obstacles to get around enemies. That'd be a nice change of pace.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 02 November 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

There's imagery all over the place designed to unsettle, unnerve, startle, and disturb. Yes, he's trying to scare you.

Unsettle, unnerve, disturb =/= scary
I don't recall anything trying to startle the player

The difference is :
If a friend sneaks behind you and screams "BOO" in your hear it will startle you (scare you) (and btw in this case there is nothing related to horror).
Unsettling music and weird blur-faced enemies following you everywhere = not scary (but definitly horror).

To go back to my point : there is no reason to complain it's not scary and to give him advices on how to make it more scary if he wasn't trying to in the first palce and instead was trying to have something disturbing and unsettling.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMetHy, on 02 November 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Unsettle, unnerve, disturb =/= scary
I don't recall anything trying to startle the player

The face at the beginning is absolutely there to STARTLE you.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostDiscrete, on 01 November 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

I didn't mean to do that.
Please sorry

i'm making part 2. part 2 will be better.

youll see

What a humble statement. This guy gets a mixture of criticism and support and his response is "Sorry. Part 2 will be better." Simple words. :P

Just look at the thread name. It's titled "My mod" with the description saying "sorry". Sorry for what? Sorry for making a sweet new interpretation on Holly? I can't wait to see this guy's next mod. :P

This post has been edited by Radar: 03 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

At least this guy has the right idea with modding, he's starting small and working his way up, not to mention he's doing everything himself, instead of other guys who say "hey I'm new here and I'm going to make 10 episodes and a super awesome TC but I need everyone's help".

So good luck to him Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options