Duke4.net Forums: How to set 3d map zones as parallaxed textures ? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to set 3d map zones as parallaxed textures ?

I'm talking about that nice effect seen in Imagination World v2 (massively) and Dukeplus (only at the end of the test level, i remember), where map segments are rendered in parallaxed floors/ceilings.

Does it involve CON coding or is it just a Build feature ?
Can anyone tell me how to use it ?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's a con feature. From how it was described to me, a scene is projected to the background (behind everything else that's normally drawn on the map, so you can't normally see it), then you create some HOM effect by putting a blank tile on a surface, or removing the tile when the map is loaded in game. Because HOM is the result of drawing nothing to the screen, at least none of the map, what's behind (the scene) is shown instead. I'm no coder though so I'll leave it to someone else to explain how to do it.

User is offline   CruX 

Sounds to me like it's what Micky said; an effect done thru con that relies on the showview command and the displayrooms event, blank textures for a ceiling, and (if it's a skybox being used) the box itself being physically built into the map.

showview
EVENT_DISPLAYROOMS

Richard knows what he's doing when it comes to scripting, so this should probably be enough for him to work with. Three things to be aware of, however

• If no display commands are used, there will be a very clear scheme visible, since the showview command's x/y cooridnates can't cover the entire screen
  • It breaks polymer
  • Using screen warping commands like wackplayer or rotatescrnang will cause some weird tile-distortions (least, it did for me when I was messing around with it).

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Use showviewunbiased for a full screen showview. However you will not be able to see the result in Polymer if that's required for your map/game.

At this point this topic should be moved into Eduke Modification section, can any admin here move it ?

Meanwhile, i thank you for these little elucidations, luckily my project isn't designed for Polymer, but i'll need to control and tweak the screen warping effects because i use them constantly within various effects and bobbing.

However I've understood how it works, but i wait if someone could show me all the coding/mapping process...

• Evil Overlord

Alright, moved the thread for you.

Edit: The (easiest) way to make it work is to place a custom "camera" sprite and then display a showviewunbiased from the camera's x y z (and just use the player's ang and horiz). Place this in EVENT_DISPLAYROOMS and it will draw "underneath" the blank tile... which needs to literally be a non-existent tile. Easiest way to accomplish making the tile non-existent is to create a new dummytile to map with and then remove it before you play the game.

As for distortions I'm not really sure what EmericaSkater means... I use lots of rotscrnang, and setaspect and never noticed any rendering issues.

i didn't know that showview/showviewunbiased could work not only in DISPLAYREST/DISPLAYWEAPONS; this make me understand all this procedure it's a sort of trick or "glitch".

Thank you, now i'm into coding-testing-troubleshooting it ...

It seems not to work for me... tell me what's wrong:

actor 3DCAMSPRITE    // i laced it somewhere in E1L1/E1L2
 cstat 32768
 getactor[THISACTOR].x 3dz_x
 getactor[THISACTOR].y 3dz_y
 getactor[THISACTOR].z 3dz_z
 getactor[THISACTOR].sectnum 3dz_sect
 getplayer[THISACTOR].ang 3dz_ang
 setvarvar 3dz_horz horizangle  addvar 3dz_horz 100  // a var i use normalized to 0 instead of 100 
enda
onevent EVENT_DISPLAYROOMS
 showviewunbiased 3dz_x 3dz_y 3dz_z 3dz_ang 3dz_horz 3dz_sect 0 0 319 199
endevent
 // and i blanked LA textures in duke3d.def
 dummytilerange 89 94 128 300

I think is something related to blanking textures, i just obtain a black sky.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have gone over an existing tile. Try the dummy tile command for one unused tile ( just for ease of mapping ) then destroy your dummy tile so the map ends up drawing nothing there. Or if all is well with you're cam it draws the projected scene. Good luck!

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMblackwell, on 13 October 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

As for distortions I'm not really sure what EmericaSkater means... I use lots of rotscrnang, and setaspect and never noticed any rendering issues.

That's part of the reason I added that it happened while I was messing around with it; I always found it peculiar that no one else that used it ever mentioned this. It happened while I was working on a (now abandoned) project, and I was never sure whether it was the version of eDuke I was using or my own coding/setup that might've been causing it, though I really don't get how it could be the latter.

Posted Image

The enemies all had the wackplayer command in their attack states, and this is what would happen after they hit me. Take the skybox trick out, and this would never occur (and vice versa, if you got rid of the wackplayer commands).

• Evil Overlord

View PostRichardStorm, on 14 October 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

It seems not to work for me... tell me what's wrong:

actor 3DCAMSPRITE    // i laced it somewhere in E1L1/E1L2
 cstat 32768
 getactor[THISACTOR].x 3dz_x
 getactor[THISACTOR].y 3dz_y
 getactor[THISACTOR].z 3dz_z
 getactor[THISACTOR].sectnum 3dz_sect
 getplayer[THISACTOR].ang 3dz_ang
 setvarvar 3dz_horz horizangle  addvar 3dz_horz 100  // a var i use normalized to 0 instead of 100 
enda
onevent EVENT_DISPLAYROOMS
 showviewunbiased 3dz_x 3dz_y 3dz_z 3dz_ang 3dz_horz 3dz_sect 0 0 319 199
endevent
 // and i blanked LA textures in duke3d.def
 dummytilerange 89 94 128 300

I think is something related to blanking textures, i just obtain a black sky.

Drek is right.

You don't want a blank texture as in a texture with nothing on it... you want a blank texture as in a texture/tile that doesn't exist. So say dummytile 3585 10 10 (or any other unused tile) and then place that all over the map in the place of LA Sky, then comment out the line before you run the game.

There's a way to automate the process (by changing the picnum to something that doesn't exist in CON) but that's a whole different ball of wax than this basic question. We can tackle that a different time assuming you decide to do that.

• Evil Overlord

View PostEmericaSkater, on 14 October 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

That's part of the reason I added that it happened while I was messing around with it; I always found it peculiar that no one else that used it ever mentioned this. It happened while I was working on a (now abandoned) project, and I was never sure whether it was the version of eDuke I was using or my own coding/setup that might've been causing it, though I really don't get how it could be the latter.

Posted Image

The enemies all had the wackplayer command in their attack states, and this is what would happen after they hit me. Take the skybox trick out, and this would never occur (and vice versa, if you got rid of the wackplayer commands).

That is... really weird. I wonder why that would happen? Should have reported it as a bug!

WTF VARIABLE NAMES !!! F***ing starting numbers ! F***ing "3dz" prefix and so on !

I finally got it...
After changing all ceilings to non existent tiles (not blank) with a loop, the showview misterously didn't work... i spent about 3 hours to debug and find what was wrong...

// EDIT : i forgot to post a picture of the result ...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 14 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Hello, I'm new here. I was making a TC and I decided to use the parallax effect used in Imagination World V2. The result was awesome...

Posted Image

However, now I've got a problem with the mirrors of that level. I see the round room with mountains through them... Is there a way to fix this?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options