Duke4.net Forums: Best mods - point me towards them! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best mods - point me towards them!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNarcissus, on 24 July 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

..the start up window for it has a "custom game directory:" but it looks like its cut off or something....

you're text size is too big. go to the control panel, choose display, and pick a smaller text size percent

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

User is offline   Narcissus 

Thanks Forge! Absolutely correct with the suggestion. And after reading the advice, I managed to pull together enough scripting to get some of the recommended mods working! If I run into any other problems I'll be back, but for now I'm all set! Wow, I just typed way too many exclamation marks :(

Aaand I'm back. Since it was designed by Yahtzee Croshaw, I wanted to see if I could give Age of evil a go - http://www.fullyramb.../games/evil.htm

And holy god, the .rar is a mess. It uses an installer that apparently modifies the original Duke3d or some such nonsense. I tried compressing everything into one .grp using one of the compressing tools but that just gave me an error message.

Anyone have any experience on this one?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Try running that installer in a clean Duke3D 1.5 installation in DOSBox, and then note the changes and copy them over to the EDuke32 directory.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Since I'm a nice guy, I've nixed the installer for everybody. The installation process was really unnecessary, even back in the day.

Works like a charm, and then some. Thanks! Even managed to get the hrp pack working today! Surprisingly simple, now I'm off to enjoy some more awesome mods. ;)

Hey guys,

Since I'm still running through the official releases of each BUILD game (Blood is bastard hard!) I thought I'd cool off with a quick small mod. Enter DukeLand

http://dukertcm.com/...d/dukeland.html

Um... how in the hell do I get this thing to work? There's TEN .rar files. No .grp in sight, just a bunch of .con and map files. And a ludicrous amount of .dic files, which I'm totally confused by.

I've figured out how to load grp and .con files with ease. But this... anyone got a tutorial or something?

Thanks all!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Try this version (you may need to edit the bat file):

http://www.mediafire...ilr0k68ab3dmcar

Works well! Are you somehow compressing all of the files into a .grp and .con? If its easy to do (i.e. if someone's written out a tutorial before ;)) I might be able to get the hang of it instead of stopping back in here every time I find an old duke mod that isn't in the .grp and con formats.

Regardless, I'm off to check out this tiny mod, now that it's up and working!

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNarcissus, on 11 August 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Works well! Are you somehow compressing all of the files into a .grp and .con? If its easy to do (i.e. if someone's written out a tutorial before ;)) I might be able to get the hang of it instead of stopping back in here every time I find an old duke mod that isn't in the .grp and con formats.
Usually unzipping into your Eduke32 directory is sufficient. Many older mods (and maps) however, like DisneyTC, come with some DOS batch file that renames files before (and after) running Duke. Mods created for Duke 1.3d often need to have their CON files updated to 1.4/1.5.
Putting stuff into a GRP usually isn't necessary. You can get the according command line tools (kgroup, kextract) from here. But unless you want backwards compatibility to DOS Duke I'd rather recommend just zipping the stuff like I did with DisneyTC on my last playthrough. You can unzip it to your EDuke directory or run it with the command line "eduke32.exe -gDisneyTC.zip" or just drop it into autoload.
So basically there's two things to do first when your mod does not work out of the box:
-check the BAT files and modify if necessary (like DUKE3D.EXE -> eduke32.exe), especially if there are weird file extensions
-check eduke32.log for error/warning messages on CON files.
If you have a copy of both 1.3d and 1.4/1,5 original CON files you can try to update 1.3d mod's CONs yourself just using side-by-side comparison even without any CON programming knowledge. That's what worked for me with quite a lot of old maps/mods.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I should create a little package that tries to automate v1.3D --> v1.5 CON conversion by way of diff files.

Duke Plus is pretty much the one you absolutely need to check out. Almost completely new Duke experience. After that WGRealms 2 for sure. Nam might be worth a shot.

Dukeplus is probably the only mod i really enjoyed. Every other mod felt boring to me. But each person has his own opinions.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostBruno Mattei, on 12 August 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Duke Plus is pretty much the one you absolutely need to check out. Almost completely new Duke experience. After that WGRealms 2 for sure. Nam might be worth a shot.

You must have never played any other mods then if you think DP is a completely new experience (which is not an affront to DP, but it's still got core basic Duke3D gameplay) yet think Nam is just as good WGR2 or DP. Time for somebody to play Starship Troopers, Grins of Divinity, AMC TC, or Last Reaction & Water Bases.

Also, you're a shit head for downvoting my posts for no reason. How exactly is "It could have benefited from moar SalaciusCrumb maps." negative vote worthy? (Or even positive vote worthy?) You're a moron. I have plenty of shitty posts, why don't you put some effort into your axe grinding?

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 12 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Downvote and no reply. Coward.

EDIT: And you did it again. Hilarious. You're a loser.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 13 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Well I'm taking a bit of breaking from Duke at the moment - trying to burn my way through shadow warrior. Someone somewhere mentioned that it plays like the best TC ever, and I'm not one to disagree with that. Level design is way more hit and miss than Duke 3d though, with amazing levels right next to some pretty ugly work.

I also gave Blood a shot, but lord - that mouse control is really hurting my enjoyment. The level design, atmosphere, and enemy variety is all pretty damn great, but the controls... hoo boy. I tried to give bMouse a shot, but I don't think its compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. Shame too, I think I might just throw on God mode and run through the episodes. I think Redneck Rampage also had a similar mouse issue, but the game doesn't require mouse look the same way Blood does. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty setting and my hand is practically hovering around the quick save button constantly.

And Captain Awesome, I salute any guy with a good name on forums. Is that a Chuck reference or does the name predate the show?

User is offline   MetHy 

Make sure to check Wanton Destruction, the 2nd official add-on of Shadow Warrior.

It was made by the same people who did Cryptic Passage for Blood and Carribean's Life for Duke, which are the best official add-ons of their respective games and all are fantastic episodes to play through.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 13 August 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

Make sure to check Wanton Destruction, the 2nd official add-on of Shadow Warrior.

What's the first?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNarcissus, on 12 August 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Well I'm taking a bit of breaking from Duke at the moment - trying to burn my way through shadow warrior. Someone somewhere mentioned that it plays like the best TC ever, and I'm not one to disagree with that. Level design is way more hit and miss than Duke 3d though, with amazing levels right next to some pretty ugly work.

I also gave Blood a shot, but lord - that mouse control is really hurting my enjoyment. The level design, atmosphere, and enemy variety is all pretty damn great, but the controls... hoo boy. I tried to give bMouse a shot, but I don't think its compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. Shame too, I think I might just throw on God mode and run through the episodes. I think Redneck Rampage also had a similar mouse issue, but the game doesn't require mouse look the same way Blood does. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty setting and my hand is practically hovering around the quick save button constantly.

And Captain Awesome, I salute any guy with a good name on forums. Is that a Chuck reference or does the name predate the show?

Shadow Warrior is a great game, but you are right, there are some poopy levels in there. I wouldn't bother with usermaps/mods for Shadow Warrior unless they are highly recommended, a lot of them are really really bad (but there are some good ones.) Try contacting Swiss Cheeseman about fixing bMouse for Windows 7. And cheers dude, I dig your name too as a full time narcissist. My moniker predates the show, but it's not really imaginative. I would just go by my actual name, but there's already another James in the community. Doh!

It was made by the same people who did Cryptic Passage for Blood and Carribean's Life for Duke, which are the best official add-ons of their respective games and all are fantastic episodes to play through.

Wanton Destruction kicks ass!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 13 August 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

What's the first?

I believe he's referring to Twin Dragon.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 13 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Never heard of that actually, gonna have to correct that I guess.

Twin Dragon is... not very good. It is, however, a good excuse to play more Shadow Warrior. At any rate, its far better than Nuclear Winter at least. And Wanton Destruction remains on my list, though I'm hoping to make more progress in Blood.

However, I've ran into a MAJOR problem with Blood.

I'll repost from a thread in general gaming...

The larger problem is that the damage I'm taking radically increases if I reload a saved game. As someone else put it....

"The zombie will hit you for (the number in brackets is after the load game):
11 hp (36 hp) - Still Kicking
15 hp (27 hp) - Pink On The Inside
18 hp (18 hp) - Lightly Broiled
22 hp (22 hp) - Well Done
26 hp (12 hp) - Extra Crispy
http://www.gog.com/e...ding_save_files

Has anyone ever ran into this glitch before? I basically suck at fps games (I'm playing Duke on the lowest difficulty level and doing okay) and the glitch essentially makes the easiest mode one of the toughest. I tried playing on the middle setting and gave up pretty quickly... the pitchfork doesn't even knock a zombie down!

Any ideas?

• Weaponized Autism

There are three add-ons for Shadow Warrior.

Twin Dragon by Level Infinity / Wylde Productions
Wanton Destruction by Sunstorm Interactive (makers of Duke It Out In D.C., Duke Caribbean, Cryptic Passage, Route 66)
Deadly Kiss by SillySoft / Simply Silly Software (makers of Nuclear Winter)

You can find the first two on the page I linked. The third has not been released publicly, but a small group of members here have been fixing it up privately and are waiting from permission from the head developer to release it.

All the add-ons are good. They each have their own style. Shadow Warrior itself is a personal favorite, though it has a downturn in the second half of the registered campaign after Sumo Sky Palace.

View PostNarcissus, on 12 August 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

I tried to give bMouse a shot, but I don't think its compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.

http://forums.duke4....post__p__133958

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHendricks266, on 13 August 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Shadow Warrior itself is a personal favorite, though it has a downturn in the second half of the registered campaign after Sumo Sky Palace.

Ironically that's exactly when the modern-themed levels start, and I quite like some of the later ones such as Floating Fortress and Subpen 7.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostFox, on 21 June 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

I still find LR&WB (which actual name is "Duke Nukem 3D Aquatic") episode "Water Bases" amusing. It almost made me believe this was an official release when I first played.

+1. That episode was so amazing right from the start, and while it makes a little repetition in the middle (the two Atlantis levels bored me a bit), it picks up so much in the end with those drone battles. Alienation, Tower in space and Back to LA are some of the best levels I have played for this game.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 29 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Caribbean has a great leveldesign, but I don't like what they did to the weapons and monsters. They look very dull, especially in the last level.

Wanton Destruction was uneven, but for the most part it looked very well done. The secret Redwood map, the airplane map, and the boss map were my favourites.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 August 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

There are three add-ons for Shadow Warrior.

Twin Dragon by Level Infinity / Wylde Productions
Wanton Destruction by Sunstorm Interactive (makers of Duke It Out In D.C., Duke Caribbean, Cryptic Passage, Route 66)
Deadly Kiss by SillySoft / Simply Silly Software (makers of Nuclear Winter)

You can find the first two on the page I linked. The third has not been released publicly, but a small group of members here have been fixing it up privately and are waiting from permission from the head developer to release it.

All the add-ons are good. They each have their own style. Shadow Warrior itself is a personal favorite, though it has a downturn in the second half of the registered campaign after Sumo Sky Palace.

http://forums.duke4....post__p__133958

Really? I thought the 2B episode (start with Bath house) was a lot better than 2A. 2A was really repetitive, you can't even tell the difference for the levels, while 2B offers good variety and a dukeish adventure.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I liked the industrial/city maps the most too.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Caribbean's last level was just kinda thrown in there. It was originally just a plain ol' usermap, but it was repurposed for Caribbean. It's a good map, but really out of place.

• Weaponized Autism

Sunstorm has a habit of doing that. Duke DC Secret Level is based on AZTEC.MAP by one of their employees, Robert Travis.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 31 August 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

Caribbean's last level was just kinda thrown in there. It was originally just a plain ol' usermap, but it was repurposed for Caribbean. It's a good map, but really out of place.

Yep. Actually that one is the best map of the bunch, really lovely leveldesign and texturing and great secret areas to visit. Once I did retool the map for original Duke, and it worked miles better.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options