Duke4.net Forums: Black Mesa 2012 media campaign - Duke4.net Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Black Mesa 2012 media campaign

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Fantastic! Wonderful! Been following this since its inception as well in the Kalashnikov days. This seems to be the one Half-Life fan project that's still making it through. I remember the HIT project (Half Life Improvement Team) which was adding higher resolution textures, multiple models, game features and enhancements, ragdoll, etc to the original GoldSrc HL engine. I'm happy this one is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, though.

View PostAchenar, on 17 June 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Your paranoia is comparable to those of tinfoil-hatters.

I downvoted you because, in my opinion, your post was needlessly hostile and redundant to Mad Max RW's post. Bit of a pity as I generally upvote your posts, and many people know it. Hope this clears up any confusion. :(

Edit: Stalking? Really? Upvoting posts I find to be of good quality is stalking? You need to take a chill pill. I hardly monitor these forums much nowadays.

My reply towards bloodshot was not rude, you just wrongly assumed so.
For the sake of ending this debate and resuming this topic's main subject, I will admit that I was wrong in my assumption.
Also I didn't know you up rated me before as I can't see who rates who.
What fuegestef showed in that screenshot, is something that doesn't work at my place.

View Postfuegerstef, on 17 June 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I resized the screenshot. But I think this and the fact Achenar confirmed it, makes it valid.

That doesn't work over here, I tried it.

View PostMartin, on 17 June 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Yeah D, your tone is often pretty venomous and mightier-than-thou. You seem to be in love with yourself.

I respect myself and my real life reputation, there's nothing wrong with self respect and self confidence.
I'm not fake if that's what you are assuming. This is just who I am in real life.
You would probably hate me if you met me in real life as I'm even worse than this when I'm face to face with somebody that I dislike.
If political orientation is anything to go by when judging a person, I can let you know that I'm a far right person.

Telling that guy to 'get a social life' etc whilst you sit on here every night talking about computer games and prowling the boards (and agonising over a downvote :(). It's hypocritical

You are correct here but this does not apply to me, simply because I just visit this forum once a week and I post on it once a month or less.

It's difficult for people to know when you actually do know something, or if you're just talking nonsense

People ehh? Hehe. Again with your classic generalizations. Because when you talk in the name of the people, your opinion suddenly become fundamental facts right?
The majority of people I talk to, know how to decipher what I say, however you might be part of a minority of people that find it hard to comprehend my simple rants.

You deliver each post with the same "I'm obviously right" attitude. Some may find it grating, and thus you receive downvotes when you think you don't deserve them.

I appreciate your attempt at finding a solution to this fabricated problem but I'm pretty sure that I can handle myself in a debate, without actually needing your detailed obsessive thesis of me and my personality in the wild.
I'm sorry if I got to a point where I obsess you but I can assure you that if you just ignored me, your life would have less unanswered pressing questions.

Aww and I'm obviously right in my attitude right now, as you probably noticed :D

Now if we're done with the offtopic let's get back on topic

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 18 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Psst

Not sure what this whole line of discussion has to do with Black Mesa, but if it doesn't end now it will get culled.

as in deleted

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I will try to re-route the topic back on a rail

Old stuff but still nice

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostBloodshot, on 18 June 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

I will try to re-route the topic back on a rail

Upvoted for that pun.

Speak of the devil, there was some leaked gameplay uploaded (and removed) of On a Rail.

I took some screencaps of the 1080p video, unfortunately the brightness is too low/black levels are crushed, so you should raise the brightness in windows media player or whatever player you use before watching
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 07 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

As for anyone who wants to see the leaked video, look it up on youtube.
It has been re-uploaded many times and i am not posting the link because the video wasn't intentional.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Looks pretty good. I can only assume that the leak (based on the fact it was taken down) was likely due to the developers' frustration at getting this time capsule of a game completed.

User is offline   Loke 

Seen a lot of mixed response regarding the leaked video with most of the negative reception being towards the iron sight for the .357 and tacky voice acting. Granted I've waited for this mod since the beginning so I might be a bit biased but I think it looks great -- can't wait to finally play this fucking thing.

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't want to watch it because, IIRC, On A Rail was altered drastically in places (improved) and I don't want to spoil that experience. Heck, I don't want to spoil any of it. I've waited too long now.

Just an FYI, they are reuploading the video since so many people have seen it - it was actually a test video from the devs, and they were planning on making a refined version of it but it was leaked out. They might even re-record it with proper black levels and on a higher difficulty just to show what they were originally going to show people had valvetime not posted it early.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 August 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

I don't want to watch it because, IIRC, On A Rail was altered drastically in places (improved) and I don't want to spoil that experience. Heck, I don't want to spoil any of it. I've waited too long now.

Yeah, don't watch it in case you don't want to be spoiled since everything in the video looked drastically different from Half-Life.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 15 June 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

That's the gluon gun from hl1, remade in bms.
Don't tell me you never played hl1 before...

I seriously don't see why this post deserves 2 downvotes...

ok

that was a while ago

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 08 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostLoke, on 08 August 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Seen a lot of mixed response regarding the leaked video with most of the negative reception being towards the iron sight for the .357 and tacky voice acting. Granted I've waited for this mod since the beginning so I might be a bit biased but I think it looks great -- can't wait to finally play this fucking thing.

The iron sight controversy is just people being "chicken little".

A Q&A from their forum.

There have been too many posts for me to reply to individually, but I'll go over the basic points I've seen crop up a bunch of times. I'll try to address everything as transparently as I can, because there's a lot of misinformation floating around.

Is this a leak? Was it released intentionally?

We had always been planning to release gameplay video(s) as part of the social media campaign, and we'd always hinted as such. Unfortunately, we ran into some difficulties while we were wrapping up the build (including several severe FPS drops and crashes) that delayed our plans for the media campaign and any gameplay videos. Once we got those sorted, we started to try to figure out what we could show off; the video that was posted to YouTube was a rough first cut outlining some possible action.

Someone showed someone else something they shouldn't have, and that someone else decided to share that something with the internet. And here we are today. Bottom line is that sooner or later, you were going to see what you saw; that's why we haven't tried to cover everything up or get it taken down. There's no conspiracy, we don't have any ulterior motives.

How old is the build of the game?

The build featured in the video is between four and five weeks old. The art assets, level design, lighting, sound effects and music, voice acting, weapons, gameplay mechanics, etc. are all basically final. You won't be seeing very many changes between what's in the video and what's in the final product.

Is the music actually in-game?

The music in the second half in the video is the actual song from the level, it hasn't been overlaid afterwards. It syncs up well with the action because it's been designed to; the song was specifically written for this area. The audio quality of the YouTube video doesn't do it justice though, and it sounds like the game's music volume was turned up too high while the video was recorded.

Why are there iron-sights in the game?

You can look down the sights of the .357 for a slight zoom and increase in accuracy at the expense of your rate of fire. It was a mechanic that was present in Half-Life: Deathmatch, but we've brought it into the singleplayer to help solidify the weapon's role. We've added an option to the main menu to completely disable that functionality, as a result of the feedback we've received from the video.

The .357 and crossbow are the only weapons that you can use the sights on, and they're for decent gameplay reasons. We aren't casualising or consolifying the mod; you don't have regenerating health, there aren't chest-high walls, you won't get strawberry jam on the screen when you're hurt, etc.

Why does everything look like crap?

The compression YouTube applies has blurred and darkened everything, even at 720p settings. You lose a lot of stuff like the scanlines on the HUD, the stars twinkling in the sky, the moonlight illuminating the launch pad and the hologram illuminating the control bunker, any real texture detail, outdoor characters, etc. I've got the original video at 1080p, and everything looks fine.

Why is the voice acting so bad?

Everything is intentional; the soldiers are meant to sound like over-the-top movie bad guys. We're not interested in trying to get you to empathise with the enemies.

Will this affect the plans for further media or the release?

It has, we're actually going to be moving some things forward. Time has never been on our side.

http://forums.blackm...8&postcount=164

Same deal as last time, there have been too many posts (and PMs) for me to reply to so I'll try to address the recurring issues:

Why was the video taken down?

Like I said yesterday, we were always intending to release a video, and this was an early cut that wasn't meant to be posted. Now that it's been leaked, we're okay with it being on the internet because people were going to see it one way or another anyway. However, we strongly feel that it should be on our own terms; it shouldn't be a way for an unrelated third-party to drum up their own publicity.

Are you going to upload a new one?

I'm planning to re-upload the video to our own YouTube channel in 1080p (which I assume is the same one that has been doing the Sendspace/Dropbox rounds on the forums). There's been some debate within the team about recording an updated version that addresses the feedback we've received, but I can't yet confirm if we'll actually be able to do that.

Will you be taking down re-uploads?

No. The video's all over the internet now, and it isn't in anyone's interests to try and cram this particular genie back into its bottle; it's just not going to happen. Thank you to those who have reported mirrors to me, but from here on out we'll just stick with re-uploading it ourselves and letting any other copies be.

http://forums.blackm...1&postcount=364

User is offline   Lunick 

I have only seen parts of the leak and I think it looks really good. If they intend to put a video up soon then that can only mean good things ;)

This is a random tidbit of information, but it got me excited nonetheless.

http://www.wiki.blac...nematic_Physics

Remember the garbage compactor scene in HL1, and how all the boxes just exploded into pieces? Well, they opted to use cinematic physics to save performance for that in source (since every box breaking would produce physicalized gibs - so that means the boxes are actually compacted and crushed by the compactor. It's not real time of course, but I think that alone would make the scene a lot more intimidating and give the player motivation to get out of there even quicker.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 09 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLoke, on 08 August 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Yeah, don't watch it in case you don't want to be spoiled since everything in the video looked drastically different from Half-Life.

Sarcasm? I'm only saying what I've heard, and if it is the case I don't want to ruin it. Like, different as in redesigned beyond just boring track rails EVERYWHERE connecting small sections. Even if it isn't, I'd like to explore the revamped areas fresh once completed.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 August 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Sarcasm? I'm only saying what I've heard, and if it is the case I don't want to ruin it. Like, different as in redesigned beyond just boring track rails EVERYWHERE connecting small sections. Even if it isn't, I'd like to explore the revamped areas fresh once completed.

Nah, no sarcasm. For example the rocket area is vastly different opposed to the original, 'twas quite shocking really.

View PostLoke, on 11 August 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

Nah, no sarcasm. For example the rocket area is vastly different opposed to the original, 'twas quite shocking really.

They actually based their rocket off the Titan 1 system, so you have to complete a puzzle to raise it out of the ground on the level before the video, to be able to launch it.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah, ok then. ;)

Here's a great(IMO) leaked gameplay video of Black Messa Source.

This is the video from which those screenshots were taken above.
Enjoy.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 11 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   Martin 

It's all pretty awesome apart from the woeful voice acting. Sounds like Shenmue.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMartin, on 11 August 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

It's all pretty awesome apart from the woeful voice acting. Sounds like Shenmue.

WHAT DID YOU SAY!?

View PostMartin, on 11 August 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yeah and it was intentional, but guess what ?
So many people complained about the voice acting, that they actually started to re-record the lines and put a radio chatter effect over the soldiers voices, they also wear gasmasks except for the commanders and medics.
Also, the iron sights are only for the .357 and crossbow.
But for those that can't accept that they can optionally be used in the game, they added an option in the menu to turn the iron sights off.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 13 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

View Postthemaniacboy, on 12 August 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

Also, the iron sights are only for the .357 and crowbar.
But for those that can't accept that they can optionally be used in the game, they added an option in the menu to turn the iron sights off.

You mean crossbow

And yeah, they weren't quite sure if the voice acting fit themselves, so the feedback was probably the final nail in that coffin to get them to redo it.

Also, fyi the changes have already been made.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 12 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostBloodshot, on 12 August 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

You mean crossbow

And yeah, they weren't quite sure if the voice acting fit themselves, so the feedback was probably the final nail in that coffin to get them to redo it.

Also, fyi the changes have already been made.

Oow haha i am sorry, yeah i meant crossbow.
I kinda liked the voice acting though, sounded like a bad action movie which is fun because it's so stupid.

User is offline   Kathy 

Ironsight for a crowbar would have been epic.

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

View PostBurnett, on 13 August 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

Ironsight for a crowbar would have been epic.

Posted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

My poor Daytona...

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options