PROMETHEUS

by Ridley Scott

June 8, 2012

O_O

The Full trailler:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Norvak: 02 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I'm hearing (and seeing, oh god) horrible things about Prometheus. I think Ridley Scott killed the franchise once and for all.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

I'm hearing (and seeing, oh god) horrible things about Prometheus. I think Ridley Scott killed the franchise once and for all.

I haven't heard much yet, but I did read a few of the negative quotes on Rotten Tomatoes (currently it has a 69%, which isn't great considering that Avengers has a 96%).

Having seen the trailer, my biggest concern is that there is nothing new. It looked like a lot of very old, very tired sci-fi themes and cliches dressed up to look nice for a new generation.

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Whether he screwed up or not, the franchise died when Whedon got ahold of it. Ever since then, Fox has been trying to resurrect the dead horse by not only beating it, but also by chopping it up, chewing it up and spitting it back out, urinating on it, and letting toddlers draw pretty pictures on it.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I've heard mixed shit. Most of the French reviews were very vague, but mostly critical. The UK reviews were mixed. There were quite a few positives.

I'd also point out that Alien in it's day got quite a bit of flack from the critics. It didn't get it's rep for being totally awesome in virtually everyone's eyes for a few years. Same for Blade Runner.

The ending, from what i've read, may give me issue. Mostly the gripes i'm hearing are some dodgey editing that crops up in the last hour. Certain things get cast aside without much explination. Things like that.

Which i'd put at the feet of Lost-Lindelofenstein.

View Postwayskobfssae, on 03 June 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Whether he screwed up or not, the franchise died when Whedon got ahold of it. Ever since then, Fox has been trying to resurrect the dead horse by not only beating it, but also by chopping it up, chewing it up and spitting it back out, urinating on it, and letting toddlers draw pretty pictures on it.

There's a long story behind the making of Resurrection, and the fault wasn't entirely Joss Whedon. It's a combination of the director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, totally misunderstanding and butchering the script along with Sigourney Weaver's meddling. But, yeah, you are right. The only things that kept the franchise viable are video games, comic books, and novels. A bit like Star Wars in a way...

As for the mess that is Prometheus, I think it will be several years before the truth comes out about what went wrong. When it hits US theaters this week there will be a bloodbath. If anybody remembers the reaction Alien 3 received... oh man Ridley Scott is going to have a heart attack.

...Prometheus is the Phantom Menace of the Alien saga.

• Judge Mental

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

...Prometheus is the Phantom Menace of the Alien saga.

I don't think we need to go that far. Prometheus, just as a visual piece, looks 50000 times better than Lucas's stagnant shit. In terms of story, it sounds more like it just suffers from the LOST syndrom. Which isn't good, but it's again, not TPM bad.

User is offline   Ronin 

I saw it and really liked it, I will see it again just to see what the 3D version looks like. I like the story, I think people are being too harsh on this one.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Spoilers

Many good things about the movie. It looked and felt different from Alien but it still had, like Scott said, a piece of its DNA. It also confirmed the old Aliens-as-bioweapons theory.

Characters were the movie's biggest problem. The female lead was anything but an example of a strong female character. She was a typical thoughtless fanatical scientist/religious nut (interchangeable in this case). Half the time she pissed me off. Theron's character was the real hero and she didn't even get enough screen time or things to do. The same with the ship's captain. These two were the only pragmatic characters but they were largely sidelined. The lead "hero" largely caused trouble.

The last scene sucked. One thing I liked about Alien was that it felt and looked real even if it was science fiction. But taking an alien ship in the hope of getting to the alien (not "Alien"!) homeworld was just a silly way to end the movie.

User is offline   Ronin 

It asked more questions too, as well as answering some old ones. I liked the female lead, but I agree that the some of the other characters acted more realistically than the leads. After seeing it twice I can confirm that I really like it as a sci fi film that floats to the top of a pretty stagnant list. I also feel that the film should have been longer, that some scenes ended to abruptly for my liking, but that's nothing a directors cut couldn't sort out. I think Scott has created a new franchise that can be expanded on and I hope it will be.
The last scene did seem shoe horned in, and could have been easily handled better but I'm still glad they put it in. I don't think it was a silly way to end the movie as it allows the story to continue, the other option would mean no more from the story...probably.
I think that some people are foaming at the mouth and getting ready to over harshly judge this even though it is a good film. Alien was a haunted house in space slasher film this is totally differant.
Also I think that David is the films lead in the same way that Roy Batty was Blade Runners, and there are things in Prometheus that you will miss if you don't pay attention, which is a good thing.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I don't see potential for a sequel there.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 08 June 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

I don't see potential for a sequel there.

When you say that, do you mean a sequel could not be worth doing, or you just don't see how it would make sense?
I'd go as far as to say it was designed with a sequel in mind, maybe not at first but everything points towards it and lets not forget Hollywood are fresh out of ideas for the past ten years. Jets just hope Cameron does not get his hands on it.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I don't see that particular ending leading to a sequel, i.e., the girl and the head starring in another movie like Ripley in Aliens.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 08 June 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

I don't see that particular ending leading to a sequel, i.e., the girl and the head starring in another movie like Ripley in Aliens.

BIG DIRTY SPOILERS AHEAD....

I thought is was the head only at first but there is an entire scene where she transports the body too, I'm sure there was a reason for that. Also David would be needed to communicate with the Engineers if contact is made. I does have potential to me, imagine Shaw reaching the planet and the reaction of the Engineers of their experiment returning home looking for answers, that could be quite interesting handled correctly. The mean Engineer seemed quite fascinated by David...at first. The writer said if a sequel is made it would deviate even further from the Alien plotline.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I think the body was taken for navigation or something; I don't think she had any experience flying a spaceship let alone an alien spaceship and I don't think a head alone could do that either.

I cannot imagine one and a half human characters carrying an entire sequel. The whole series has relied on human interactions so far anyway; the aliens have been merely in the background as some kind of a contrast and a device to bring out certain human qualities.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 08 June 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

I think the body was taken for navigation or something; I don't think she had any experience flying a spaceship let alone an alien spaceship and I don't think a head alone could do that either.

I cannot imagine one and a half human characters carrying an entire sequel. The whole series has relied on human interactions so far anyway; the aliens have been merely in the background as some kind of a contrast and a device to bring out certain human qualities.

Ok I can see where you are coming from, but I think you could make quite an intense film with just a human and a translator on an alien world. Of course it would have to be subtitled unless most of the dialog was just between David and Shaw which would not bother me but it would bother mainstream viewers, unless they cheaply introduced some sort of "language understander" gimmick like they did in John Carter. There could always be the rescue squad to spice things up and a possible Zeno DNA infection on the Engineers home-world, but that's just off the top of my head, given a bit of time they could probably come up with something better. Probably.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 08 June 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

The sequel is quite obvious...... They go the "space Jockey" planet and bomb them with the alien pods then the "Space Jockeys" think its the Predators and start an intergalactic war ending with humans as the only survivors because Duke Nukem (with help from Freddy Krueger) defeat the other species. It would be called Prometheus 2: Aliens Vs. Predators Vs. Space Jockeys Vs. Duke Nukem and Freddy Krueger.

Anyway, I saw the movie today and liked it.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostReaperMan, on 08 June 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

The sequel is quite obvious...... They go the "space Jockey" planet and bomb them with the alien pods then the "Space Jockeys" think its the Predators and start an intergalactic war ending with humans as the only survivors because Duke Nukem (with help from Freddy Krueger) defeat the other species. It would be called Prometheus 2: Aliens Vs. Predators Vs. Space Jockeys Vs. Duke Nukem and Freddy Krueger.

Anyway, I saw the movie today and liked it.

Never underestimate Hollywoods lack of creativity...

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 08 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 June 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

I'd also point out that Alien in it's day got quite a bit of flack from the critics. It didn't get it's rep for being totally awesome in virtually everyone's eyes for a few years. Same for Blade Runner.

Alien grossed lots of money, Blade Runner didn't. And keep in mind it did so while being a sci-fi horror. Alien was a success and had great reception(at least general).

Also I'm getting tired of people saying "well, that old movie also had bad reviews". It doesn't mean Prometheus will pull a Blade Runner. And I don't see any reason for it to do so except some kind of director's cut. Which, btw, did the same for Blade Runner. Although, there needs to be a big editing process where in case of Blade Runner was just minor. But, since Ridley could re-edit Kingdom Of Heaven I don't see problem doing the same for Prometheus. Especially if the studio meddled with a cut.

Which brings me to opinion about Prometheus which isn't really original. Gorgeous movie, but messy plot and characters. Shit just happens and no one seem to care. That stuff bothered me a lot.

Spoiler

• Judge Mental

View PostBurnett, on 09 June 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

Alien grossed lots of money, Blade Runner didn't. And keep in mind it did so while being a sci-fi horror. Alien was a success and had great reception(at least general).

Also I'm getting tired of people saying "well, that old movie also had bad reviews". It doesn't mean Prometheus will pull a Blade Runner. And I don't see any reason for it to do so except some kind of director's cut. Which, btw, did the same for Blade Runner. Although, there needs to be a big editing process where in case of Blade Runner was just minor. But, since Ridley could re-edit Kingdom Of Heaven I don't see problem doing the same for Prometheus. Especially if the studio meddled with a cut.

It's still a fundamental truth that critical reception does not mean anything, and that was what I was referring to. Alien had a very mixed critical reception. If you don't believe me I can get you a link that has paragraph after paragraph of negative reviews ever posted, some of which were actually retconned some years after the film was released when they realised how wrong they were about it.

http://www.avpgalaxy...9264#msg1399264

You can read my thoughts there. Does contain spoilers for anyone who has not yet seen the film.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 June 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

It's still a fundamental truth that critical reception does not mean anything, and that was what I was referring to.

What means something then? Because I can say that general reception doesn't mean anything either, only mine does.

You can read my thoughts there. Does contain spoilers for anyone who has not yet seen the film.

Kind of strange you didn't mention David at all.

The first sequel, Aliens, was the only blockbuster success for the franchise. I think it made more money than all of the other movies combined. Why 20th Century Fox keeps funding sequels and spinoffs that deviate further from what James Cameron created I'll never understand.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMad Max RW, on 09 June 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

The first sequel, Aliens, was the only blockbuster success for the franchise. I think it made more money than all of the other movies combined.

You're wrong. Alien grossed almost the same amount as Aliens. And if we adjust for inflation it made clearly more than Cameron's sequel.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 June 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

It's still a fundamental truth that critical reception does not mean anything, and that was what I was referring to.

lol

View PostBurnett, on 09 June 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

You're wrong. Alien grossed almost the same amount as Aliens. And if we adjust for inflation it made clearly more than Cameron's sequel.

Just checked here and you are correct. Alien and Aliens crushes them. Odd how I remembered Aliens as being the only blockbuster. Domestically, every single following movie from Alien 3 onward made worse than the last. By next weekend we'll know how Prometheus stands.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd rather go see Men in Black 3. At least it's trailer isn't plagued by stupid dubstep scream samples.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 09 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMad Max RW, on 09 June 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

By next weekend we'll know how Prometheus stands.

We already know that Prometheus will gross more(unadjusted) than any Alien movie. And it will outgross anything adjusted except Alien/Aliens. No that it would be that hard.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 09 June 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

I'd rather go see Men in Black 3. At least it's trailer isn't plagued by stupid dubstep scream samples.

It's marketing, dude. It's not like Scott himself made these trailers. Depends on your intrested in the movie before seeing the trailer, though.

P.S. And I'm sure everyone saw this, but still...

This post has been edited by Burnett: 09 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

It was okay. But the ending really pissed me off.

View PostMad Max RW, on 09 June 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Just checked here and you are correct. Alien and Aliens crushes them. Odd how I remembered Aliens as being the only blockbuster. Domestically, every single following movie from Alien 3 onward made worse than the last. By next weekend we'll know how Prometheus stands.

Probably because Aliens already had a good following. Alien started out slow and picked up steam, if I remember correctly.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 11 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Looks damn good.
Got really positive rating.
Ebert gives **** out of ****

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 11 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options