Duke4.net Forums: Prometheus [2012] - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prometheus [2012]  "A new film by Ridley Scott!!!!"

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSangman, on 09 November 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

True. I only remembered who Shaw and David were. I had to look up Vickers' name, and who the fuck is Halloway again?

Shaw's boyfriend. The other main scientist.

The characters suck ass. But hey I guess I'm just an idiot moviegoer who just wants to watch mindless summer blockbusters, right? :/

Right, no wonder you didn't like "Girl with a pearl earring". :P/>

User is offline   Sangman 

fast & furious 5 best movie ever made

User is offline   Kathy 

Wasn't it actually quite watchable? I've never saw a Fast&Furious movie, but it's quite snobbish to say that only dumb people would enjoy Furious or Transformers.

Although... I'll say I was quite astonished when I met a guy after the Avengers and he made a wry face before telling me that the movie was too philosophic. Yes, Avengers. I still watched it 3 times in a manner of several days, though.

I still don't get why Prometheus gets some special treatment for being a normal mainstream sci-fi horror movie yet some praise it to the level of depth of, I don't know, Antonioni or Bergman movie. It's not that type of movie, and it never really tries. It is first and foremost an entertainment movie which tries incorporating existential ideas. Whether it succeeds is another question, but it never tried to be something else.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Well I'm a bit late here but I just saw Prometheus. Firstly I'll say that I haven't seen any of the Alien movies. I tried watching Alien when I was young but I was bored to death by the film's slow start and gave up.

Now that that's out of the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and didn't let any of its weaker aspects hinder my enjoyment. I'm going to watch Alien in a month or so and see how that compares, but regardless of how good the films are the premise of Prometheus suits my tastes more than I imagine Alien would. Now I'll see if I still feel the same way after watching Alien...

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I recommend watching: Alien, Aliens, AvP, Alien Resurrection in that order.
The Alien 3 and AvP 2 are crap and not worth watching, in my opinion of course.

User is offline   Kathy 

Resurrection was quite a departure even compared to Alien^3. All Alien movies before tried to be somewhat serious while Resurrection went headlong into a trash horror territory. Not that there is anything wrong with trash movies, but for a franchise that valued its serious tone in a sci-fi horror setting that was a step backward.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't really like any of the Alien movies other than Alien. I'm also that weirdo that thinks Predator 2 is better than Predator.

User is offline   Soap DX 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 November 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

I don't really like any of the Alien movies other than Alien. I'm also that weirdo that thinks Predator 2 is better than Predator.

I still like the first predator more, but I think the second was quite good as well, I know it's not loved as much, but I thought it was pretty good.

Personally I like it when they try to push a franchise, instead of a rehash over an over. Aliens was cool because it expended the Alien universe, and brought the story in a new playing field. And I'm not talking about creating new types of aliens, I just mean, taking what you have and mixing it up.

For me it's somewhat like this;

Aliens > Alien > Alien3 > Resurection > AvP > AvP2

Predator > Predator 2 > Predators

To me, AvP 1, 2 and Predators where all disappointments. AvP2 being at the very bottom of the list for me.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the two AvPs are hideous but the first one has some camp value: it's so bad that you find yourself laughing the whole time. Predators was very good and with Prometheus being pretty good too the franchises are heading in the right direction again.

User is offline   Kathy 

Massive spoilers ahead.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options