Duke4.net Forums: What have you watched lately ? - Duke4.net Forums

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What have you watched lately ?  "... movie, TV show [may contain spoilers]"

User is offline   Malgon 

Finished watching Ant-Man and the Wasp just a couple hours and really enjoyed it.

User is offline   Poorchop 

I've been watching Arrested Development. A friend mentioned it to me a decade ago but I've never had any interest in watching any shows in particular. Then one day I was stuck in front of a TV for various reasons and I decided to check it out. The first 3 seasons were hilarious. It got revived by Netflix for a 4th season, which was pretty bad but it did have a few funny moments. I'm watching the 5th season now and it's okay so far.

The series was canceled by Fox after season 3 due to declining viewership but I think that it was wrapped up nicely back then anyway. They should've just ended it there. Maybe it would've still been good if they had continued back then though. Part of the reason that season 4 was so bad was because the actors have moved on. Some of them had to be greenscreened into certain scenes. The entire cast was barely ever in the same episode all together and part of what made the show funny was the chemistry between them. Season 5 has fixed this to a small extent.

This post has been edited by Poorchop: 07 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 July 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

I think the Maze Runner movies are fascinating. Each one excels in a different area. The first one was just incredible for atmosphere and setting. The mystery and the strangeness was a very effective intrigue device. The second one portrayed archetypes and symbolism very well. Setting and atmosphere didn't matter to me in that one. The third one excelled at drama, individual, and interpersonal character development. Oh, and action. I wonder if that was on purpose? For the books?

After watching those now, it's turns out to be one of those very-good-and-missed-by-me movies. Many thanks of pointing those out. :(

This post has been edited by Hank: 07 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

A quiet place (2018).
Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Slither (2006)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Farm House (2008)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Flight 666 (2018)

User is offline   Jeff 

Fringe: Season 5

Finished it about 30 minutes ago.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Numerous King of the Hill episodes

User is online   Mark 

View PostJeff, on 04 September 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

Fringe: Season 5

Finished it about 30 minutes ago.

I really liked the first season or so of Fringe. Then the storyline went to alternate time/universe. I hate that concept and stopped watching. Same with the shows Heroes, Flash, and a "survive on an island" show I forgot the name of.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I generally like alternate universe stories. I've never watched Fringe. Do they change the characters to focus on the the alternate timeline instead? Because Eureka did that and I hated it.

Also don't care what the haters say, Heroes was a fantastic show. The first half of season 3 was very not good, but it got better halfway through and season 4 redeemed it. Also enjoyed the recent single season relaunch.

User is online   Mark 

With alt timelines/universes its too easy for the writers to kill off a main character only to get them back by bringing in the alt version. Or the same tired old "character is good in this universe and evil in the other". Or they have powers in one but not the other. I just don't care for it.

• The Sarien Encounter

If it's a permanent change, then yes I dislike it. One-off alternate universe episodes, however, are great fun. Star Trek and Stargate did it very well.

There wasn't any alternate realities in Heroes, though. Just futures, I suppose. I DID hate that they neutered Peter. I'll never forgive Tim Kring for that.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 September 2018 - 06:46 AM

User is online   Mark 

"survive on an island" show I forgot the name of. I remember now... Lost

I disliked the flashes forward. I think Walking Dead did it few times to.

This post has been edited by Mark: 06 September 2018 - 03:57 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

More King of the Hill
Including the 1997 episode "The Company Man" where Burt Reynolds voiced M.F Thatherton

Pieces of the episode voiced by the late Burt Reynolds.

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been going through the Mel Brooks movies as I've only seen three of them (Spaceballs, Robin Hood Men in Tights, and Dracula Dead and Loving it). All three I laughed heavily back in the day to. I started with Spaceballs because I love that movie. I don't laugh near as much as I did years ago but some parts still crack me up. Then I moved to Young Frankenstein as that seemed to be the most beloved. It wasn't bad. I didn't really laugh out loud, though. Then I watched Blazing Saddles. A little better, but still didn't reach it. Went back to Men in Tights tonight and I still found myself chuckling out loud and it's been years since I've seen it.

I think I'll go with History of the World next unless someone has another suggestion. So far I still prefer Spaceballs by far.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Watched Alien and The Fly last night, and Aliens today. Will probably watch the other two Alien films tomorrow.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Upgrade (2018)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostZaxtor, on 19 October 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

Family classic. Kid's a terrible actor, though.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Friend Request (2016)

User is offline   Malgon 

Watched the Friday the 13th Complete Collection for the first time (except for the first one which I've seen once before). Enjoyed most of it to varying degrees. Also watched for the first time Blood Simple, Re-animator, and started on Ash vs. Evil Dead Season 1. Good stuff.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

The Others (2001)

• The Sarien Encounter

Kingsman The Secret Service and The Golden Circle.

Incredible films. The second one had some contrivances, but I can forgive them. This is not a story you take very seriously. But incredible action sequences. The whole thing hearkens back to a time when we didn't take spy films (or any films) so seriously. They were a little bit too R-rated for my tastes, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

The Secret of NIMH (1982)

• The Sarien Encounter

Interstellar. Holy crap.

But seriously, Nolan. Give us a freaking epilogue. You can't take us almost 3 hours through that and not give us that closure. I can forgive Inception, but this....

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 October 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Interstellar. Holy crap.

But seriously, Nolan. Give us a freaking epilogue. You can't take us almost 3 hours through that and not give us that closure. I can forgive Inception, but this....

I think that the ending of Inception was awesome. Interstellar had some good moments in the beginning and in the middle ... but then lost track of basically everything: coherent story, basic filmmaking rules, decent characters, satifying closure.

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe that was on purpose? Given the nature of what happens in that third act. Not that that makes it any more satisfying. Awesome concept, though. Basically, I think Nolan has made 3 perfect movies. Memento, The Dark Knight, and Inception. The latter being my favourite. The rest are great but just don't "get there" like those three.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Lots and lots of The Simpsons' first 10 seasons.

There's a number of episodes I can quote almost fully, some I remember fondly, some I remember partway through watching them, and some I haven't seen at all. That last one to me proves it isn't just nostalgia that earlier Simpsons was great, because I'm watching stuff I haven't seen and enjoying it a lot.
Some of the current season stuff is a little hit and mostly miss.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options