Duke4.net Forums: The Stairwell - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Stairwell  "An experimental map + updated standalone version"

User is online   zykov eddy 

A little experimental horror map based on a story of SCP 087 (From SCP Foundation).

Note: a remake of The Stairwell has been released. Get it here.

The original story: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087 (If you haven't read the story before, don't read it until you play the map)

Remember to play only in software mode.
Don't worry, there's NO screamers on this map, I promise.

If you finish the map and play again, things will change a bit.

Download (v1.1): http://www.mediafire...r8fbiqk68dbxy9q
An updated Standalone version here: http://eddyprojects....ne-version.html

Screenshots from updated version:

Posted Image

Posted Image

(I know, there exist a little 3d indie game, which is based on the same story. This game actually inspirated me to make this map, although I have read the story before the game was released. If you have played this game already, don't worry, my map is not the same thing)

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 11 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I hate be nitpicking as a first comment of a user map, but I would have preferred the zip to contain all the files directly. In the future, there might be direct support for loading such packs.

User is offline   Jblade 

hahah, cool - I love the eerie SCPs alot and the flashgame was moody. Gonna check this out now :lol:

Okay, this was really cool. Since this is an experimental map, is there anything specific you want comments on?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

LMAO (literally). But, does it even end?

Oh fuck me lol.

Yeah, it does end. And you don't wanna know, how it's gonna end.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 02 March 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Okay, this was really cool. Since this is an experimental map, is there anything specific you want comments on?

Thanks!
What do you exactly mean?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 02 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Nice stuff! Got me on edge even in broud daylight; I really love these minimods of yours since they always try something new :lol:

Oh nothing, just my bad english. I won't spam your thread anymore ^^

User is offline   MetHy 

I liked it. It's well done so I should have nothing to complain about, however I can't help but ask why you'd remake it and why everybody praises SCP-087 so much. You're not even the first one remaking it, why not making another SCP instead or whatever? The effect is starting to wear off...

Thanks, James!

View PostMetHy, on 02 March 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

I liked it. It's well done so I should have nothing to complain about, however I can't help but ask why you'd remake it and why everybody praises SCP-087 so much. You're not even the first one remaking it, why not making another SCP instead or whatever? The effect is starting to wear off...

I just wanted to make my own version, since this SCP is one of my favorites.
I do have some ideas about other SCPs in mind.

User is offline   CruX 

I really liked the part where I just walked down the stairs.

...In all seriousness, it was kind neat. Put me on edge at some points, but lost me ultimately. There were too many lulls in the atmosphere where I expected it to intensify. I kept thinking the numbers on the wall would start to change and form cryptic messages, or there would be another vague humanoid shape at the next landing (etc.)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Cool map, I was a bit drunk while playing so maybe that helped me to get in the mood. I actually played it twice but I'm not sure I spotted anything different. The soundscape was awesome.

I have no idea what SCP is, btw.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 02 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 02 March 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I have no idea what SCP is, btw.

Spoiler

... most is written already. Another first for the Duke community methinks. :lol:

This post has been edited by Hank: 02 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 02 March 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I actually played it twice but I'm not sure I spotted anything different.

Spoiler

Edit: Updated the link. Fixed a little bug.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 03 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

This map is great and scary! And it sure succeed in keeping the original game's atmosphere. Too bad it's getting ignored.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Gonna play this map tonight to adding atmosphere. Those shots look good.

Thanks guys.

Added the map on my blog: http://eddyprojects....ll-scp-087.html

Uploaded a video on youtube for whose who can't play the map at the moment:

For some reason I keep thinking about turning this map into a mini game (like STH3D and Quake TC) to catch more attention. What do you think?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 03 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMister Sinister, on 03 March 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

This map is great and scary! And it sure succeed in keeping the original game's atmosphere. Too bad it's getting ignored.

It is a piece of art and not a map and the attention to it differs from other maps. Therefore I don't think the map is being ignored. The only drawback is, once you played it a couple of times, the first impression wears off, but the work behind it remains

I just read this

View Postzykov eddy, on 03 March 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

For some reason I keep thinking about turning this map into a mini game (like STH3D and Quake TC) to catch more attention. What do you think?

I think you just did that. The 'scare' effect is now present, all one needs are to do more maps. Just a thought :lol:

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostHank, on 03 March 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

I think you just did that. The 'scare' effect is now present, all one needs are to do more maps. Just a thought :lol:

For example, STH3D catched more attention outside the Duke forums after I turned it into a standalone mod (what means you don't need Duke 3D to install and play)

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 03 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postzykov eddy, on 03 March 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

You should make a mini game out of SCPs. Everybody's shitting their pants over SCPs lately (which is beyond me).

What's STH3D?

User is offline   Hank 

View Postzykov eddy, on 03 March 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

For example, STH3D catched more attention outside the Duke forums after I turned it into a standalone mod (what means you don't need Duke 3D to install and play)

Ah. You know that you are the only one able to answer that.
I rather do and fail than just sit around, so my obvious answer is: Yes, give it a shot.

Still, in all fairness, this community is small, so, not sure how many downloads you've got, yet so far I don't see your project as being ignored. :lol:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 03 March 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

What's STH3D?

Eddy made his own sonic game: http://sonic3d.ru/

Oh no, this thing became HD!

Posted Image

Just having fun with Photoshop and HD textures. I don't think I'll make a polymer version of this map.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 03 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Pretty lame experience if you ask me. The soundscape is cool and well done but to the point i began to hear it, I was already tired of walking and walking and walking. Not to mention there´s a visual glitch with the stair sprites that, while it could go unnoticed, it doesn´t because you see it 128 times (two per each floor).

As an experiment and a tribute to SCP 087 (of what i have no idea what it is but I´ll assume it´s about walking down stairs endlessly) it may be good, but cheating on Duke players to make them play this thinking it´s an usermap is a crime.

The face is cool though, I may have liked it if the sequence happened at floor 14.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 03 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostGambini, on 03 March 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

cheating on Duke players to make them play this thinking it´s an usermap is a crime.

and yet it's still scarier than all the stuff you tried to pull out in It Lives

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 02 March 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

Spoiler

I actually saw that link but the site doesn't seem to contain any actual information about SCP because even the so-called information section is written in some kind of in-character style.

User is offline   Gambini 

and yet it's still scarier than all the stuff you tried to pull out in It Lives

Well, if i based my map directly on someone else´s story, were using custom content and were only looking for five seconds of fear your post would make some sense.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 03 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostGambini, on 03 March 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Well, if i based my map directly on someone else´s story, were using custom content and were only looking for five seconds of fear your post would make some sense.

I don't see the connection with what I said

It lives wasn't a horror map, at least that was the expression i got.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options