• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The truth about Duke Reloaded

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, so DNR probably wasn't the second coming that DNF should have been and what everyone was hoping. Fair enough. I'm still not touching Gearbox again with a 39 and a half foot pole. I just don't get them. I don't see them as down to earth at all. They all live in their own little world with their own agendas. Nothing anyone ever says feels like they're being real. It's just all fluff. I don't trust them. Never again. I enjoyed Opposing Force and Blue Shift, but that could have been when they were actually gamers. They certainly haven't developed anything memorable for me personally since then. I don't even like Borderlands.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 February 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Yeah, so DNR probably wasn't the second coming that DNF should have been and what everyone was hoping. Fair enough.

Well, because of Gearbox's ineptitude, we'll never find out for sure. Some would probably have hated it, but others would have liked it, at least to tide us over until the next Duke game.

with 39 and a half foot pole.

Grinch quote FTW! :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, so DNR probably wasn't the second coming that DNF should have been and what everyone was hoping. Fair enough. I'm still not touching Gearbox again with 39 and a half foot pole. I just don't get them. I don't see them as down to earth at all. They all live in their own little world with their own agendas. Nothing anyone ever says feels like they're being real. It's just all fluff. I don't trust them. Never again. I enjoyed Opposing Force and Blue Shift, but that could have been when they were actually gamers. They certainly haven't developed anything memorable for me personally since then. I don't even like Borderlands.

In my opinion, OpFor and Blue Shift are still their best games. Borderlands is lame.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Borderlands just far to repetitive for my my tastes.

User is offline   Zavage300 

I honestly can't believe this is going on right now, I am absolutely Out of my mind right now, I was already flagged for something stupid, But if I knew Interceptor was gonna announce what really happened I would have already been banned from the official forums from the amount of Verbal abuse I would open up in that place. It's just not good times to be Duke Fans I tell ye.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostZavage300, on 13 February 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I honestly can't believe this is going on right now, I am absolutely Out of my mind right now, I was already flagged for something stupid, But if I knew Interceptor was gonna announce what really happened I would have already been banned from the official forums from the amount of Verbal abuse I would open up in that place. It's just not good times to be Duke Fans I tell ye.

Now you understand why we hang out over here instead of over there :D

But have faith, while the next Duke game will probably be little more than a generic quickly-forgotten, money-making shooter, the Duke 3D modding scene is still very strong, with several people working on a variety of different, high quality products, ranging from classic 8-bit to next-gen (well, this-gen anyway). 3D is the real Forever. Welcome to the forums and stick around :D

Edit: and I should also add new people are picking up Duke mapping all the time. If only they'd learn to not make a new thread every time they build an extra room...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

User is offline   Zavage300 

View PostMicky C, on 13 February 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Now you understand why we hang out over here instead of over there :D

But have faith, while the next Duke game will probably be little more than a generic quickly-forgotten, money-making shooter, the Duke 3D modding scene is still very strong, with several people working on a variety of different, high quality products, ranging from classic 8-bit to next-gen (well, this-gen anyway). 3D is the real Forever. Welcome to the forums and stick around :D

I certainly appreciate the welcome, I feel like we haven't had a chance to show what The name Nukem can really be, Forever has been a laughing stock to the gaming industry. But it's good to know we are still sticking to what we love. I'll always be a fan of duke's But I am done with Gearbox, To tell you the truth I only got Borderlands for the Fast Access club for forever and LOOK HOW SUCCESSFUL THAT WAS! the demo a week before release and a free crappy multiplayer add on. Meh, I'll be here now. I don't go on forums too much But The Duke Community still has Great modders and people over all. we will stick to our roots to as why we love Duke, and show others that Gearbox's diarreah isn't the only thing after Duke's 20 year history. Sorry if that may be against forum rules but I think we are all a little pissed off this week. and we deserve to be.

User is offline   ---- 

Sry, for double post. Just woke up ...

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMad Max RW, on 13 February 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Jeez, that's like half the people who still post on their board.

One of them ist still there. :D

User is offline   Sangman 

While you guys are bitching about Gearbox for shutting down a mod project that tbh didn't look that great to begin with and was being led by a dumbass I'll be sure to play Alien: Colonial Marines and Borderlands 2. Maybe I'll even buy multiple copies of each.

I understand that you guys feel a bit duped but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, anyone with common sense should've seen this coming.

User is offline   JohnClay 

View PostSangman, on 14 February 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

While you guys are bitching about Gearbox for shutting down a mod project that tbh didn't look that great to begin with and was being led by a dumbass....anyone with common sense should've seen this coming.

What about the part where the "dumbass" deleted all of his blog entries explaining what happened - possibly due to pressure from Gearbox... no-one predicted that....

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Dont know if these have already been posted here but I think this is as close to DNR we will get :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not sure if these are allowed here or not so if they arnt, let me know, but since this forum is not GBX owned I thought it shouldnt be a problem.

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 14 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Its a pity we will never see this game. Thanks to Gearbox's chinese style of democracy.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBugsBunny, on 14 February 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

Its a pity we will never see this game. Thanks to Gearbox's chinese style of democracy.

Greedy business concepts never match free speech and democracy.

Edit: Damn, either a million posts occured since I started writing or there was a glitch...

Rule No.1 of the GBX Forum: If you don't plan to lick AdamF Gearbox's ass, don't post. The mods/admins are a-holes... At least the guys here are honest about the fact they are tyrants :D, Gearbox on the other hand, are two-faced and will stab you in the back.

It's for reasons like the ones discussed in this thread that I was always unsure about the franchise going to Gearbox, as much as I was never a big supporter of DN3DR, I think it's a damn shame that we will probably never get to see it.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 14 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

Excactly my thoughts. Such a shame that most gamers don't read this stuff. The pictures looks really good. Duke looks calm and awesome :D Piggy looks silly and shootable, good opportunity to make some bacon.

User is offline   trustn0! 

Had to post my thoughts on the topic and discussion at hand.
So anyway first off about the blog and DN3DR. as a whole
I dont really see what the so called "truth" this blog was supposed to give us.
There was nothing in it that we didnt already know.What strucked me as odd was

"
The answer i got was shocking:

We can’t give you an answer to that. Ofcourse you can keep working on it, if you want to. But we can’t tell you if we will allow the game to be released.

I did the only reasonable thing i could do, and told them the following:

You know – I have spent a year in total on this project. Ever single day, working full time. For free. And so have most of my team members. I have spent my life savings on this project.
I can in NO way justify having them continue working on this project, if you don’t want to see it getting released. So I’m afraid i have to put the project on hold, until you can give us a definite answer."

I think the real question anyone would have asked after that response would be a simply :"Why not?"

Tea Monster sums it up quite nicely

View PostTea Monster, on 13 February 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

Fresch was given a LICENCE from Gearbox to make an official Duke game. That means that GBX's name was on the project. That means that GBX owns your ass and what you make for the project. They call the shots. Reloaded was NOT 'just a mod'.

GBX told him straight that they would get back to him when all the DLC was released. How many times have you seen a member of 2K, or any other publisher, trumpeting on about the next game in a series when the current one is in a release cycle? How many times have you seen a Game dev marketing a game and say in an interview on Shacknews "Yeah, of course this title is pretty good, but we do much better in our next one, wait for that!". GBX told Fresch and his team to keep a lid on Reloaded as they were trying to sell DNF and they didn't want the spotlight to shift to another project in the middle of a marketing campaign. For whatever reason, they just couldn't. Instead of keeping quiet it was "HELP HELP WE'RE BEING GAGGED!!!" as loudly and to as many people as would listen.

How many times do you see 2K Elizabeth PMing pre-release builds of the next Bioshock game to her friends on the forum? How many times do you see members of the team of ANY game chit-chatting on the forum about daily progress and details of the production? It dosen't happen - if it does, it's the job of the publisher to bring the hammer down. GBX imposed a media blackout and Interceptor just ignored them completely. One member of the team would be saying they can't say anything, and another would be here dishing out screenshots - it was a mess.

All through this, GBX have behaved like a game publisher.

All through this Fresch and company have behaved like fan-boys.

Would Reloaded have been eventually released? I don't know. I'm thinking it would rely more on the quality of the product rather than any 'evil agenda' of Gearbox.

Fresch and team fucked up big time.
They were told to stfu and they didnt.
Gearbox isnt exactly innocent in all this but through and through they acted like a business.
We can delude ourselves and get swallowed into the hype but by the end of the day videogames are srz biznass(pun intended)

Concerning those bans,their policy of their forums and the company as a whole.

Im surpised people think that talking trash about them on their own forums or their affiliates would not result in a ban.
Its like me making a separate account and calling Yatta or any of the mods or even any of the members Duketards and insult the website etc etc
Or me going onto the Bethesda forums and calling Zenimax corporate scumbags and they they should go die with a fire because Skyrim was as unoptimised as a old sock in a fruit salad.
And enticing people to get into arguments over what was in the game or not
And then people act shocked when i get banned.
Or even better get ANGRY about it.

They havent made a game that i didnt enjoy and the only legitimate grievances i have with them would be the lack of a reply concerning the mod tools.
Ive said it on those forums and ill say it on these then repeat myself another hundred goddamn times till the next videogame crash.
I dont mind that they werent released.Id much rather see DNF die as painlessly as possible then have it on life support.
What does piss me off however is simply the fact that there was no reply from ANYONE involved in DNF concerning them.
Not George,not Scott,not anyone that worked at 3DR,nor anyone at Triptych or at GBX or even 2k.
And that does piss me off and if it is the only way to get a straight answer then yes i dont mind that fans keep pissing and moaning about them and to keep pushing them for a release in the next game.

I dont like to pre judge and ill save my criticisms for Gearbox till the inevitable day of release of the next game.
All of these posts that say "oh Gearbox doesnt care about Duke wah wah" are just laughable.
Not that i can provide proof to the contrary.
All im saying is that till i see actual evidence that the next game will be bad im fairly optimistic

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 14 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View Posttrustn0!, on 14 February 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

All im saying is that till i see actual evidence that the next game will be bad im fairly optimistic

A year of hyping DNF at million dollar events wasn't enough for you?

View PostMad Max RW, on 14 February 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

A year of hyping DNF at million dollar events wasn't enough for you?

Should have written that "till i hold in my hands the next game and play it and it does indeed suck."
Marketing aside the point

View PostHigh Treason, on 14 February 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Gearbox on the other hand, are two-faced and will stab you in the back.

Wow, so pretty much like most people in the world.

Honestly, I fail to see Gearbox as a bad guy here, I just think some of you are really naive.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Fair point. After more than ten years in development, I would think that all of the hype and the expectations and the infamy surrounding Duke Nukem Forever made it almost a sure bet that it would implode from within. I don't think any hot-shot developer in the world could have saved the game.

I am of the belief that old-school maze-FPS gameplay and state-of-the-art engine/graphics are directly incompatible with each other. That's why several years ago, after games like Halo and Call Of Duty began dominating the FPS market, I became convinced that Duke Nukem Forever could never recapture the same essence of Duke Nukem 3D. It was clear that 3D Realms wanted to create the game on the latest and greatest engine and made it summo prius to do so. That was why the hypothetical release date kept getting pushed back.

After a while I simply stopped worrying about it, and I focused on the Duke Nukem 3D modding community, which helped to revitalize the classic genre I adored so much. So many innovations had been made via DukePlus, the HRP, and other mods that seemed to almost preclude the need for an additional game in the series. I had the classic game I wanted with higher quality (not highest quality) graphics and new features. I couldn't ask for anything more than that. If I wanted my modern FPS fix, I would have Half-Life and Team Fortress. I didn't need Duke Nukem Forever on top of that.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 14 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 14 February 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

I am of the belief that old-school maze-FPS gameplay and state-of-the-art engine/graphics are directly incompatible with each other.

Bioshock would like to have a word with you
It can be done
Its just lazyness that prevents developers from doing so

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 14 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Look to the indies. Stuff like Hawken, Dishonored, the X series, Age of Decadence, STALKER, etc.. Everybody else is stagnating because global billion dollar publishing companies are pulling the strings and forcing simplification for the sake of consoles. They have nowhere else to go. Indies can only get better. Looking back at stuff like Amnesia, Gemini Rue, and E.Y.E., I'm very optimistic. You have to forget about the big studios and multiplatform bullshit because they are doomed.

Fresch tried doing the indie Duke Nukem but a combination of naivete and Gearbox/2k not being interested killed the chances of that ever happening.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 14 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Skyrim was streamlined as sin if you want an example.
FF13 finally exposed all the bullshit that the series had accumulated

Deus Ex:HR was a step in the right direction tbh(outsourced boss fights ftl)
Maybe im just wearing nostalgia goggles but how rare is it for a big triple A FPS to hit shelves that featured levels that had actual side objectives?.Or at least reasons to explore its levels?

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 14 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View Posttrustn0!, on 14 February 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

Deus Ex:HR was a step in the right direction tbh(outsourced boss fights ftl)

Yes, one step, but the way it has to go is still a few miles.

I barely were able to go a few steps until another loooong cutscene ruined the gmaeplay mood I just got into. To me the gameplay/cutscene ratio was totally wrong in DX:HR.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

User is offline   koile 

it´s so funny - GBX is censoring there forum about Duke reloaded and everyone who said that they don´t care about the fans will be deleted, gets a ban or an warning lol
look what i wrote and what happened :

my post after someone said he believes that the 3. dlc is in work and after the 3. DLC there will be an ok for duke Reloaded:

you must read between the lines :D

"release the 3. DLC first"

...that sounds for me like...

" We don´t want to release Duke Nukem Reloaded also we don´t want to release a 3. DLC but we don´t have enough balls to speak it out directly cause we hope the folks don´t noticed that we didn´t care about our game buyers and there wishes.

the PN i got 2 mins later from Damien_Azreal :

Dear koile,

You have received an infraction at The Gearbox Software Forums.

Reason: Disrespecting Gearbox, Affiliates or Forum Staff
-------
You are receiving this infraction due to the comments made in this post.
It was disrespectful towards Gearbox.
It's part of the rules you agreed to when joining, disrespecting GBX or any of it's affiliates will result in infractions and possible bannings.

Gearbox cares very deeply for it's fanbase and customers. To say they don't is completely wrong and very rude.
-------

This infraction is worth 4 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
[post]2539121[/post]

you must read between the lines :D

"release the 3. DLC first"

...that sounds for me like...

" We don´t want to release Duke Nukem Reloaded also we don´t want to release a 3. DLC but we don´t have enough balls to speak it out directly cause we hope the folks don´t noticed that we didn´t care about our game buyers and there wishes.

All the best,
The Gearbox Software Forums

Then i postet in the thread that i think this warning is not ok cause i just said what i thinking without a dirty word or something else. I try to write that my english is bad and i am sry if i said something wrong cause english is not my first language and i just want to be a littel humor with the "balls" thing (a littel sidekick to DUKEs balls of steel.
This post was deletet a few mins later and i got another PN from Damien_Azreal:

If you take issue with an infraction, contact a mod through a private message.
Never, under any circumstances call it out in public for other users to see. Ever.

Doing so can and has gotten people banned in the past. It's against the rules.

And, while you may not have seen your post as being disrespectful, but your phrasing and wording paints another picture.
Claiming that Gearbox do not care for their fanbase and saying "they don't have the balls" is, IMO, disrespectful to a company that put their name and reputation on the line to purchase the DN IP to bring the fans a game most of the rest of the game industry had written off.

If they worked on there games as hard as they lies to the fans and censored the forums and ban the guys who speak out the truth - there games would be awesome !!
Never again a GBX titel - never again a try to speak with guys who just be interested for my money

You post like a typical over-excitable teenager. Too bad you can't be banned from the entire internet.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postkoile, on 14 February 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Then i postet in the thread that i think this warning is not ok cause

...cause you're an idiot. You might consider yourself lucky he didn't outright ban you. Discussing moderation is a big no-no on most forums outside of special topics/subforums created just for that.

User is offline   koile 

View PostMad Max RW, on 14 February 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

You post like a typical over-excitable teenager. Too bad you can't be banned from the entire internet.

sry, i can not write better cause my english is very bad. but i think if you want it, you could understand what i am meaning and why i am a littel bit angry about it.
Why are you so unfriendly to me. Only cause my english is bad and i ve got problems to find the right words for what i am meaning should be enough reasen for you to ban me from the internet. Are you from Iran or why will you censore the internet from things you don´t like?

...cause you're an idiot. You might consider yourself lucky he didn't outright ban you. Discussing moderation is a big no-no on most forums outside of special topics/subforums created just for that.

i don´t want to discussing a moderation - i just want to make a declaration that i don´t mean it so bad as it sounds and it just sounds so cause my english is bad and i have problems to find the right words. it was more like an i am sorry about it post.
Please don´t be so hard with my words cause writing my thoughs in english is very hard for me

This post has been edited by koile: 14 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I do happen to "speak" to Damien fairly regularly and he's a pretty cool dude. It's just that because he 'works' for Gearbox as well he does have to enforce the rules. That's just the reality of being a mod.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 14 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options