Duke4.net Forums: The Unfinished Content Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Unfinished Content Thread  "post you stuff from the closet!"

User is offline   Mark 

Yet another map I'll not finish. About a month ago I started building my first Deathmatch map and had plans to finish it in a day or 2. I forgot all about it until just a few minutes ago. The thrill is gone and I don't feel like finishing it anymore. If you think its any good and want to use it as a base for your own map, go ahead. No need to credtit me if you do. Its a very plain but fast paced map.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

User is offline   Cage 

2009:

Posted Image
Old buildings with some tech "growth"

Posted Image
Posters

Posted Image
The barriers divide the city into quarantine zones

Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I love it.

User is offline   Mark 

I am going through my hard drive and deleting old or duplicate files and I ran across this pic of a model I was working on for my abandoned Ancient Rome mod. There were clipping problems with the roman armor because I didn't have the original model with it's skeleton, only the md3 so it was a lot tougher trying to attach the armor to the existing model animations. I eventually gave up on it. I thought I would share a pic before deleting it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: roman enforcer.jpg

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

View PostFox, on 25 October 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Abandoned "Skycity 4" map. Almost forget this shit.

Fox that map has a hole lot of potential. Looks like it could be very nice man your not going to finish that ? You should ^_^

Actually there are alot of unfinished maps I see posted here that actually have a lot of potential. You guys should finish them, most the pics are amazing.

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 27 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

You made me have another look at Fox's map, and damn indeed you're right. I get a "Pro Shadow Warrior map" feeling out of it, it totally likes like there is room for explosive unlinear gameplay, jumping from street to window, from window to roof, let the player choose between several ways to get to the same point etc

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Here's some stuff I've started over the years and never ever finished. As far back as early 2000's. I've since tried adding Polymer lights and TROR to these in some cases. I'm not very good, though. I also tried recreating the Vortex Rikers area of Unreal, but the textures got all screwed up...didn't feel like fixing them up to show off.

An old Island Base map I made eons ago. Probably before the 21st century. Cody might remember this.

Spoiler

An attempt at recreating Anomalous Materials from Half-Life 1.

Spoiler

Tried creating some kind of creepy looking abandoned moon base. Almost thinking an Alien type of atmosphere. Never got very far.

Spoiler

Tried recreating Myst island. Also didn't get very far. The underground area with the pool looks nice, though.

Spoiler

• Turok Nukem

Thought i would just post this map here, it pretty much got trashed and it was made before my map "Ghost Town" so yeah nothing special and my early days of mapping. This map was just a learning experience for me it is a remake of DNF parody map pack dlc "Inferno". It could probably be a good DM map but still i would't release it because imo I just wasn't good at mapping yet hahah so I wouldn't release this thing but hey it's pretty similar to the Inferno map :)

Inferno map

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 01 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Whoo boy, a thread about unfinished stuff. It gave me a flashback about a map that I had started literally DECADES ago (we're talking 1997) and I never finished.
It was called Reticuli.map and it was supposed to be about Duke flying in a stolen alien spacecraft and reaching the home planet of the aliens in the Zeta Reticuli system to depopulate it. Featuring a remake of the introduction level in Quake that I had ripped from another map and used as a weapon repository, a bridge inspired from Mortal Kombat 2, a corridor and open area inspired from MDK, and some quasi-invisible aliens. And guess what, I still have it.
There was probably a more advanced build that I lost, though, because I remember recording custom sounds (alien speech) and using them in the part with the quasi-invisible aliens, but this version of the map has nothing of the sort.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0002.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0003.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0004.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Contemplating releasing what's left of this;
Attached Image: capt0016.JPG

An unfinished project. It is a victim of drive corruption, is missing art, most of it's cons including a very complex 3rd person camera system, the inventory and just about everything else. I think the camera system could be restored though and the AI may be there in an early form, though it's way-point art was missing.

If people want I'll dig around and try to put together what works, maybe even patch up the cameras so they work if nothing else and leave it for whoever to dick around with, I can't see myself finishing it now. It ran independently of Duke3D.grp but that's broken, so I'll have to get it running with that again meaning you'd need it. No gameplay is implemented due to missing CONs.

Here's a very old test video;

And an old the path AI (Using a Dalek as a test);

User is offline   Mark 

What a shame its missing so much. I'm sure someone would have jumped on a chance to mess with that. It looks like a whole lot of effort went into it.

BTW, since you don't have PM yet, I left a post on your profile page.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 01 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think I'll try sticking the remains together, who knows, could be useful. Many of the remaining assets though are getting used in a much smaller project I'm slowly putting together.

Meant to ask if you'd got that sorted. I'm guessing you didn't? I'll see what I can do, I don't code the same way I did when I wrote that stuff up but I should be able to separate it... I've actually been thinking about doing a new and better CON supplement thing in the future but that's for another time, another thread.

Note to Admins: Again, notice how my PM being disabled inconveniences other people more than myself and clutters up threads. So I ask again, can it be turned back on?

@Mark. This should work. All effects other than flickering lights are removed.

Attached File  CONFETTI.zip (14.69K)
Number of downloads: 209

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks I'll check it out later tonight or tomorrow.

The dreaded myfirstmap.map:

Spoiler

I'm thinking of scrapping it and then trying to recreate some levels out of my Doom megawad instead.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postmrthejoshmon, on 03 October 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Screenshots from JFDuke (Which I did my best to make it look like DOS)

Why?

View PostHendricks266, on 03 October 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Why?

Well, one reason would be so I could hide how ugly and the bland the map is under all that garble.

Another reason would be my weak as hell hardware.

Finally, I like the way it looks in motion (But screenshots do it not justice what so ever).

User is offline   Jblade 

I was working on a user add-on for IW called 'Hades Complex' a few years back, that was going to be polymer specific - unfortunately I never got too far with it as I found the workflow of importing models and stuff fairly taxing, but I may still yet make something of it. It was going to introduce a character that appears (only in phonecalls though) in the AMC TC as well.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: HADES1.jpg
  • Attached Image: HADES2.jpg

User is offline   Gambini 

That looks quite great, I like the 2nd shot, reminds me of SinĀ“s a cutscenes.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View PostCage, on 25 January 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

2009:

Posted Image
Old buildings with some tech "growth"

Posted Image
Posters

Posted Image
The barriers divide the city into quarantine zones

Posted Image

Beautiful.
It deserves to be finished.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

It must be my favourite topic... So, let's go!

Map which was inspired by Fallout.

The main idea was to add food and other survival things.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Artem Nevinchany: 17 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

• Senior Artist at TGK

EDF base in the canyon. Nothing special. Just a map, but the idea is so fucking boring... So I stopped wasting my time on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Artem Nevinchany: 17 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

• Senior Artist at TGK

My horror map for Duke. I don't have any ideas to make this map original and I don't want to copypaste other horror games. Map is dead.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Senior Artist at TGK

Map is called "Decision". Your choice influences on your finish.

Posted Image

I am really sorry for so many posts, but they should be separated. By the way, I've got some maps in process too... So it's not a full list! Posted Image

This post has been edited by Artem Nevinchany: 17 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

The Canyon map might not be so boring. There are very few Canyon maps made, even at the repository they are rare. Even fewer are good canyon maps on the order of E1L5. I think the secret is good routing, nice balanced gameplay, and some surprises. For example, some secrets of course, but also things like easter eggs which is what made the Abyss so good. Like the lady dancing and Duke says "oh shit" and stuff like that. Cracks in canyon walls that explosives open up that lead to underground waterfall areas, and stuff like that.

Of course you can always flood it and turn it into another flood zone :)

User is offline   Bloodclaw 

Repost from http://forums.duke4....post__p__225415

Been working on a city map for over a year (with a few months long pauses from time to time). Can't really say I'm still working on it, I don't have much skill at properly placing enemies and goodies.
I think I've improved a lot over years though compared to my other release. The exterior part still lacks some shadows and details but I find some of the interiors I've done to be decent enough.

Screenshots :
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Download link if you want to give it a try :
http://duke3d.h38.or...5c10_r00036.zip

This post has been edited by Bloodclaw: 30 June 2015 - 11:57 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

This looks alright. Lighting/shading is a bit dull in some shots (like the apartment with blue walls) but otherwise it's fine. You should finish it, it looks like you have enough locations already so you could probably easily wrap it up and do the last touches if you're tired of working on the map (even if it means cutting on some things you had in mind).
You can always try to ask for betatesters if you're not sure about enemies/items placement, choice and quantity is right; or look how it's done in the original game.

I can't tell from screenshots alone but I hope you add action and interactivity to the map as a last touch (explosions, duketalks, ambient sounds, moving sectors, secrets, etc) Those small things can make a map, or make it dull if they're missing. It's often overlooked by mappers.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

• Turok Nukem

Images do look good there and enemy and weapon placement is not the hardest thing.

I have a question I didn't want to start own thread for it. How do you keep motivation to release a map? I don't mean finishing one! I have been off and on Turok3 map for about 7 months and im pretty sure it would be considered pretty good plus as of now it is 15k in walls with gameplay, enemies, weapons, and everything needed for completion so its about done. But for the first time I have lost motives to release and have halfway moved on to udk4. Has anyone felt this way or am I just struggling? Im afraid things could end up here:/ Sorry for any mistypes I am on my phone.

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 01 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

User is offline   Mark 

If you are out of ideas, sometimes bringing in a second person to help you can be a big motivation to finish.

• Turok Nukem

Well first off thanks for a response its pretty rare to get one. But I did not mean ideas I am flooded with ideas I have some to spare and I at least have one true friend who maps/mods to look over my maps he has been looking over all of my maps and being a critic when its needed from my first map till now. He doesn't just say cool or looks good actual thoughts on what could be better. Also the map is done but is it really worth it to release something you worked on for almost a year? its not about what you get out of it really I love this map and love making the maps for fun I had ton of fun making this one from a personal level :) I mean what do you get a couple hundred rating from steam, a few upvotes on duke4, some comments on both, and more reason to hate me for some that's not the part I was ever interested in when it comes to mapping. I know to some people the mapping community isn't competitive but it is, especially for the younger ones (by young I mean people who haven't been around the scene as long) they all want "in" and do not care for the other. I have battled with it the entire time I been mapping for Duke at the least on steam. I am not trying to start a war or disagree with others views on that either. I am not mad or anything but its time to move my focus well I been working in unreal engine, which is where I started level design in the first place. Unreal engine is really pulling me in I love it just as I did before and its making it extra hard to release my map for Duke or even do work on it. But its about 95% done.

Anyway Mark you are a good guy I still like Graveyard to :D I thought my question would go well here since its "unfinished" thought maybe others had a similar feeling or situation or something.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 01 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options