Duke4.net Forums: Wrack - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wrack  "A fps indie game"

User is offline   Lunick 

So after seeing Retroblazer being posted it reminded me of another FPS game being made by a friend of mine:

Posted Image

Wrack itself is made on a custom built engine and aims to bring back Classic FPS action with Arcade scores and awesme weapons using cellshaded animation techniques. The creator "Carnevil" also made Skulltag which is a port of Doom with tons of extra options for Multiplayer and Singleplayer.

Posted Image

Gameplay Video:

OST Crusher:

The Pre-Order is available for $9.95 and you basically get first access to the first episode (when it's done of course) and the current 4 levels which have been made for the first episode. Also get access to WrackEd which is the map editor for Wrack :unsure: http://www.wrackgame.com/preorder/ You can also preorder from Desura.

He also hangs out on the network irc.quakenet.org in the channel #wrack

Please also vote for Wrack on Steam Greenlight here.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 11 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

User is offline   thatguy 

I'm interested! Looks REALLY cool. :unsure:

User is offline   Bloodshot 

heh, the name is probably a reference to a model in Quake 3, considering the creator's attachment to ID games.

User is offline   Martin 

Looks very cool, for an indie FPS.

User is offline   Lunick 

He said to me that the only thing he is waiting on is the Music so very soon then :D

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostMartin, on 03 February 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Looks very cool, for an indie FPS.

I think it looks cool. Period. :D

User is offline   Lunick 

Carn's been changing some textures around and layout design in E1M1

Posted Image

User is offline   Jinroh 

It's looking really cool, reminds me of like XIII in its style and texturing. I'll be keeping an eye on it. ^^

User is offline   Lunick 

Yeah, I found that game about a week ago and enjoyed it a bit.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Yes it was a pretty rad game. ^^ I remember being like, 'Oh man that's awesome look just like the comic book.' when it came out. :3

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Looks very nice! :)

Speaking of the comic book look, remember ZPC? :wub:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

My biggest beef with XIII is that we never got the sequel. Ubisoft was too busy with crap Tom Clancy games I guess.

User is offline   Lunick 

Oh yeah, the ending made me want more :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Well, it was based off of a comic series, so you can get the full story. (There were also two TV series apparently, but I've no idea how good they were.)

User is offline   Lunick 

He seems to be giving out a lot of test screenshots lately:

Posted Image

He hangs out in #Wrack on irc.skulltag.net if you guys want to talk to him or anything.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've had a look at the website, and I couldn't find any kind of price or release date, do you have any 'insider info' on that?

User is offline   Lunick 

It's been pushed back a lot, he's waiting for Bobby to finish the music then he will release the Pre Order which is possibly 9.95.

EDIT: Decided to clean the first post a little.

This post has been edited by Trooper Lun: 09 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

View PostTrooper Lun, on 18 January 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

I'm not sure what exactly is going on but a Beta or something should be releasing soon, he is waiting for Bobby Prince to finish the music up for the first few levels so he can release a 3 level pre-order which will most likely go for 9.95.

I totally missed that during the first read, this is actually awesome <_< I think the fact that Bobby prince is on board should have been emntioned a bit more explicitly on the website too (like emphasizing his name in boldface or something).

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

Boss warning sign.

The game looks loveable <_<

User is offline   Martin 

Having watched more of it, I have some critiques:

1: The animations could use some work. We all love a nicely executed shotgun in an oldschool FPS game, and the one in Wrack doesn't really have any 'oomph' to the way the next round is pumped into the chamber. It just looks a bit weak. The enemy animations don't look all that great to me, either.

2: I also think the sound needs to be oscillated slightly. Maybe it's my YouTube letting me down, but each shot sounds completely identical to the last. Just alter the pitch randomly between two acceptable variables, and perhaps have a few different sounds allocated to shotgun blasts, again triggered randomly. So you would never quite have the same sound. This would make it sound a thousand times better. I already do this in Unity, and I'm not even really a coder, I'm a musician. I guess this is where a musician's expertise would come in handy.

I understand this is mostly how it was in old games, but Wrack is seemingly an homage to oldschool FPS gaming, not a total ripoff. The graphics tell you that, and the audio should as well.

3: This is totally subjective, but I personally find the enemies very boring by design. I would much rather organic life forms which I can blow chunks out of and see pieces of meat sticking to the environment, and vital fluids spilling everywhere. Robots are just boring, to me. If your shots damaged the robots, exposing circuitry and maybe oil spillage, that'd be a good move in my opinion.

Obviously Wrack is extremely impressive for an indie game, I just wanted to air some gripes I have. I take it that it's not 'finished', either. I noticed the shotty being blue in one screencap, then red in another. Whoever made the game obviously has a lot of talent at coding. I think he could use some artists and musicians to help him complete the picture. The engine looks fantastic. The design not so much (to me).

User is offline   Lunick 

http://www.wrackgame...your-calendars/

The 25th! Finally is all I can say....

This post has been edited by Lunick: 11 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Is there going to be a public demo? BTW, what are the system requirements?

User is offline   Lunick 

http://www.wrackgame.com/preorder/

Pre-order is up :)

This post has been edited by Lunick: 25 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

It's... Average. Has a lot of potential but I think it was too early to release this version.

Watched the trailer. I like it :)

I'll repeat myself though and ask: will there be a public demo? And what are the system requirements?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 26 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 25 May 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

It's... Average. Has a lot of potential but I think it was too early to release this version.

Trust me, this version looks a lot better from the version he was going to release last year. he has spent a good tim polishing the levels and getting the music from Bobby.

View PostMrFlibble, on 26 May 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

Watched the trailer. I like it :)

I'll repeat myself though and ask: will there be a public demo? And what are the system requirements?

The game only has 3 levels in it at the moment so there won't be a demo yet because that would just be silly. Wrack has a fairly low system requirement, even some Intel graphics will run the game on low settings.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just meh right now. It doesn't get me excited. It needs a lot like Alt-fire, items, vamp up the A.I., gore, upgradeable guns or something. All the weapons feel slow and generic. The sword is nice and provides a challenge if you want to do a sword run. The bosses are good though. And I'd like to be able to use the gold to buy stuff. Buy weapons, ammo, items, upgrades, turn on cheats (Hyper gore mode, big head mode, over the top Lo Wang-style one liners, all enemies are in chicken outfits and cluck, etc).

It has style but now it needs depth. I'd love to see what the mod community could do with it and hope the guy behind Brutal Doom could get interested in it :) .

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 27 May 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just meh right now. It doesn't get me excited. It needs a lot like Alt-fire, items, vamp up the A.I., gore, upgradeable guns or something. All the weapons feel slow and generic. The sword is nice and provides a challenge if you want to do a sword run. The bosses are good though. And I'd like to be able to use the gold to buy stuff. Buy weapons, ammo, items, upgrades, turn on cheats (Hyper gore mode, big head mode, over the top Lo Wang-style one liners, all enemies are in chicken outfits and cluck, etc).

It has style but now it needs depth. I'd love to see what the mod community could do with it and hope the guy behind Brutal Doom could get interested in it :P .

It's worth noting that alt-fire is actually in the game, it's just hat none of the weapons use it or have one yet and I think it's an idea on his list of to do's. I like the idea of the cheats and I think some are actually ingame at the moment, just not detailed. I agree with the gore being a little lackluster and Carnevil has said that himself that it's not finished at the moment.

At the moment there are a couple of joke maps finished and two serious maps in development, one is a remake of E1M1 from Doom. And speaking of Mods, a guy is already making a weapons mod :)

Sweet. As I said, this game has a ton of potential.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options