Duke4.net Forums: Wrack - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wrack  "A fps indie game"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I liked how the "cheat options" (various game "mutators" actually) were implemented in Aliens versus Predator (the 1999 game). Perhaps it'd work here too.

As for blood, violence and gibs, I wouldn't mind if the game were entirely devoid of it, in fact. Just robots blowin' up :)

View PostMrFlibble, on 28 May 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I liked how the "cheat options" (various game "mutators" actually) were implemented in Aliens versus Predator (the 1999 game). Perhaps it'd work here too.

Yep, and the First Turok game (maybe the sequels too) had that too. Maybe Goldeneye too.

Haven't played Turok actually, but I love it when a game has lots of unlockable play modes, especially if they extend the ways in which it can be played. AvP has that great "Mirror Image" mode which allows you to play in a mirrored version of any level, I think this was a pretty innovative feature back then.

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

Carn playing with different colour styles.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I like it. He should try to make the levels as diverse-looking as possible.

User is offline   Lunick 

EDIT: Was a man of a Green variety >.>

This post has been edited by Lunick: 08 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not me, but looking at the Carnevil is just what I expected, another dumb hipster who seems completely clueless about what he is doing and wants to cash-in on people's disenchantment with the industry.

I'm not a fan of the game, but I may buy it just for Bobby Prince's soundtrack.

Just watched a few gameplay videos on YouTube, I really do like the project :( I'd also say the game has much potential in terms of level variety, as there seems to be space enough for nearly endless combinations of exploration, platform jumping, puzzles and secrets, which is probably yet to be explored to the full :(

User is offline   Lunick 

Yeah, only 3 levels are done and there will be three episodes. The tiles used for each level is different like level 1 will have different tiles to levels 2 and 3 and different to 4 and 5.

Nice to know there's going to be visual variety as well (I should say I really like the level one cityscape tileset). Will there be huge open-space levels, Serious Sam-like? I know it could be somewhat out of style, but anyway :(. Oh, and it has just also occurred to me that variety in level design could be also accomplished by making either mixed-type levels (i.e. combat, puzzles, secrets, platform jumping, exploration in more-or-less equal proportions) and levels that have one predominant gameplay type. I think it can be done right not to become tedious or boring.

Oh, and BTW, are there going to be various bonuses for doing unusual or outright silly stuff, like in Rise of the Triad? :(

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Just posting that we recently moved to irc.quakenet.org :(

User is offline   Lunick 

User is offline   Lunick 

http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=95521749

Wrack is now on Greenlight and I'm sure Carnevil would appreciate everyone's votes ;)

Wrack is also on Desura now aswell if you are into that sort of thing.

• Honored Donor

So I voted for it then it said "This game has attained 0% of necessary positive ratings so far", not a good start Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

I got this game on sale and started playing it, but honestly this game is such a waste.

It COULD have been really good, the shotgun and rocket launchers are very satisfying to use and the scoring system really pumps up the action, but....

There are recurring issues that keep enerving me. I got stuck in E1L6, so I restarted the level over and I could finish it. I found the secret exit and now I'm stuck in the secret level! I honestly have a feeling that doors that should unlock don't always unlock and then you're stuck.

But for me the biggest issue is enemy placement. It's like the mapper designed all those cool "combat rooms" only to try as hard as possible to keep the player OUT of it. What I mean is, you open a door, and most of the times due to enemy placement you're pretty much forced to take out half of the room from the doorway or the previous room unless you want to get surrounded by all sides. It's terrible and it keeps happening. For a game that takes so much inspiration from Doom, they should learn from how Doom's design always tries to make the player go forward towards the action.

Then you have the smaller but still annoying issues, like the Plasma gun, which is Wrack's equivalent to chaingun... Except that it fires slow projectiles that move at downward angle, so the weapon that's supposed to be the long range solution, can't be used in a long range situations and it's really lacking in the available weapons since you're forced to take out the rocket launcher for these situations.

Enemy placement has got other issues too, like the mandatory "fuck you" explosive suicide robots which you can be sure to find on both sides after you enter a door; as well as railgun snipers hidden in the far back that you can neither hear, or sometimes even see, and which shots are near impossible to dodge unless you take cover (and remember, only solution for these situations is the rocket launcher.
). This also helps encouraging the player to shoot as much enemy as possible without entering the room.

I'll stop here but it's really a shame, a waste of potential.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 09 July 2016 - 03:26 AM

• Honored Donor

Yeah I couldn't play more than a few levels before losing interest in it either. Just lots of little things seem to get in the way. Something you didn't mention in your post is the checkpoint save system which doesn't do it any favours.

User is offline   ---- 

I owned this game once, got bored in one of the first few levels and it was the game I tested that then new Steam-feature where you can remove a game entirely from your catalogue.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMicky C, on 09 July 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

Something you didn't mention in your post is the checkpoint save system which doesn't do it any favours.

Shit, I were tried to get the game but after I saw your post and then I think I can safely to give it up... :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 09 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

There is a quicksave system on top of the checkpoints now.

But yes the checkpoint/lives system is bad because when you die, you have to redo everything, it's like loading a save.

They should have gone for the Powerslave system, and when you die and start from a checkpoint, it's like a respawn in the same map with everything you did still done.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 09 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostMetHy, on 09 July 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

There is a quicksave system on top of the checkpoints now.

I'm confusing, does it means a hybrid with both quicksave and checkpoint with lives system exists?
Unless it's something let me save whenever I want or it just still not my taste anymore.

I stopped played Bombshell and DooM 4 because I'm sick of those checkpoint system recently, tired about I died, then restart my progress again.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well, apparently the game didn't have quicksave, just lives/checkpoint. Apparently people complained, so he added a quicksave/quickload system; you still get lives/checkpoint, but you can save and load any time you want now (just one save though), rendering the entire live/checkpoint system pointless now.

I don't think the checkpoints are a problem in new Doom honestly. They are everywhere. If you die you're brought back at the start of the fight you're currently in. Bosses even have checkpoint in between forms.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 July 2016 - 07:04 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The developers are working on a tower defense spinoff of Wrack called Wrack: Exoverse (formerly Wrack: Starfall)
Its a tower defense game set in the same universe and art style with roguelike elements. A tower defense roguelike is definitely a novel idea, but there is A LOT of balancing challenges involved with all that RNG.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

This game is from the guy that started Skulltag whom the entire development team split from because they couldn't stand him?

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 11 July 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

Well, apparently the game didn't have quicksave, just lives/checkpoint. Apparently people complained, so he added a quicksave/quickload system; you still get lives/checkpoint, but you can save and load any time you want now (just one save though), rendering the entire live/checkpoint system pointless now.

I don't think the checkpoints are a problem in new Doom honestly. They are everywhere. If you die you're brought back at the start of the fight you're currently in. Bosses even have checkpoint in between forms.

Are there really any benefits to having a lives system in this day and age? It's primarily a leftover from a previous era where game machines in arcades and home consoles with little-to-no memory for savegames were the norm. I suppose it allows for an "ultimate failure" if you repeatedly screw up, but does anyone really want to have to restart an entire game in that scenario? These days it seems balance in games isn't quite as strong as it used to be, and deaths can often be the result of poor design which is frustrating enough without it causing you to start from the beginning on top of that.

I wish I could trade this thing to get an actually good game.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View Postdeuxsonic, on 11 July 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

This game is from the guy that started Skulltag whom the entire development team split from because they couldn't stand him?

So I guess you could say that it was a war over a Wrack? :P

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMicky C, on 11 July 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

Are there really any benefits to having a lives system in this day and age? It's primarily a leftover from a previous era where game machines in arcades and home consoles with little-to-no memory for savegames were the norm. I suppose it allows for an "ultimate failure" if you repeatedly screw up, but does anyone really want to have to restart an entire game in that scenario? These days it seems balance in games isn't quite as strong as it used to be, and deaths can often be the result of poor design which is frustrating enough without it causing you to start from the beginning on top of that.

I say lives can add tension and force the player to play carefully at all times, unlike infinite checkpoint systems where you restart right where you died to the point dying hardly matters. The problem is that it has to be very carefully balanced, especially considering that nowadays gamers have a lot less patience when it comes to dying, even those who've been playing games forever and who used to be patient about it.

About Wrack, I was swimming in lives. You get a lot of them if you do combos, to the point that, even if I didn't use quicksaves, it wouldn't matter that lives existed and it would be like any other modern FPS with checkpoint systems that don't include lives.

View PostMetHy, on 11 July 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

I don't have problems with normal progress, like Boss or those extra Runa trial stages. But...

I put spoiler because it's more like complaints...

Spoiler

--

I have no hate on lives system, but quicksave feature can make me more happy with it. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

User is offline   leilei 

the carnbarn's always late with ideas. by 2020 Wrack will probably have a "zombie survival mmo" installment, followed by a hero fps in 2023

This post has been edited by leilei: 14 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options