Duke4.net Forums: RetroBlazer - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RetroBlazer  "Beautiful retro FPS built on Quake"

User is offline   thatguy 

#1

This took me by surprise. Saw a news post over on TIGSource and saw just one screenshot provoke my interest.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6706838431_7cb33142ca_z.jpg

It is a really cool FPS with the level design similiar to Wolf3d (flat one level map design) with the gorgeous visuals of Contra/Metal Slug and HD painted textures. I thought the game was designed for low resolutions but when I bumped it up to 1440x900, the texture for the gun was in beautiful HD with gorgeous painted textures. Despite using Quake (darkplaces version), it uses 2d monsters and sprites. Check it out, i know you'll love it. It is great to see that you can capture the beauty of 2.5d on more advanced engines. ;)


You can download the alpha at http://www.retroblazer.com/

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=rqOKRLeKDts

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 16 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

5

User is offline   Jinroh 

#2

Really rad, man from the video it is off the hook. I'm gonna have to dl and try it out later. ^^ Thanks for posting it. ;3
0

User is offline   Sebastian 

#3

That looks pretty damn amazing.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#4

Judging from the videos, it has exquisite graphics with very satisfying explosions and fast paced arcade style gameplay. But I only saw three weapons and they all seemed very similar. I think I would get tired of shooting those little balls after a while and hanker for a hitscan shotgun, grenades, a beam weapon, or just about anything different.
0

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

  • Banned on Rigel

#5

MUSTPLAY.
0

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

#6

Looks very Metroid-ey. I'll hook up my computer when I'm not feeling sick and give it a go.
0

User is offline   Hank 

#7

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 16 January 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

This took me by surprise.

Me too. Still, I've got to give this a go! http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
It reminds me on Wolfenstein, with better graphics ... back to work for me, but thanks for the find dude. http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

0

User is offline   thatguy 

#8

View PostDeeperThought, on 16 January 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Judging from the videos, it has exquisite graphics with very satisfying explosions and fast paced arcade style gameplay. But I only saw three weapons and they all seemed very similar. I think I would get tired of shooting those little balls after a while and hanker for a hitscan shotgun, grenades, a beam weapon, or just about anything different.


Like many sidescrolling shooters? ;)

This is an 'alpha' game. Not the full/final product.

View PostHank, on 16 January 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Me too. Still, I've got to give this a go! http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
It reminds me on Wolfenstein, with better graphics ... back to work for me, but thanks for the find dude. http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif




Idea, make an HD port of Wolf3D with updated sprites,textures, sounds and levels in this same engine. B) It would be just like any worthwhile HD remake of a game. BRB going to hit up Carmack. :P

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 16 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

0

User is offline   ReaperMan 

#9

I love it! ;)
1

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

#10

I just noticed the wasp sprites were ripped from Sonic Robo Blast 2, a zDoom based game. They recolored them though.
0

User is offline   Jblade 

#11

It looks amazing, but the gameplay is really dull - I know of course it's an early alpha so hopefully they have some good ideas to spice it up a bit. It would be a shame to have that amazing artwork and then stick it over a unoriginal shooter.
0

User is offline   ReaperMan 

#12

View PostDescent, on 17 January 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

I just noticed the wasp sprites were ripped from Sonic Robo Blast 2, a zDoom based game. They recolored them though.

I read from some of their videos that those were just place holders, as well as some of the sounds.
0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#13

Cool visual style & audio but very boring. I actually never bothered to finish Wolf3D for the same reason. I hate how you have to rape the mouse button to make the pistol fire rapidly.
1

User is offline   Lunick 

  • Snazzy Ex Tazzy

#14

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty cool to play through.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

#15

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 17 January 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Cool visual style & audio but very boring. I actually never bothered to finish Wolf3D for the same reason. I hate how you have to rape the mouse button to make the pistol fire rapidly.


You hate raping the mouse button? Get a new weapon. There are reasons why games do certain things. Most of the time, its not to piss you off, but to balance the game. Getting the assault rifle allows you to hold down the trigger but you have limited ammo.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 17 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

0

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#16

Looks like the borrowed the colour scheme from Doom 64 :)
0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#17

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 17 January 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

You hate raping the mouse button? Get a new weapon. There are reasons why games do certain things. Most of the time, its not to piss you off, but to balance the game. Getting the assault rifle allows you to hold down the trigger but you have limited ammo.


In most oldskool shooters you hardly ever have to go back to the first weapon after two or three levels. Here you run out of rifle & shotgun ammo very rapidly.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

#18

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 18 January 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

In most oldskool shooters you hardly ever have to go back to the first weapon after two or three levels. Here you run out of rifle & shotgun ammo very rapidly.


Thats good game design. You'll find that using your pistol to find secrets and destroy non-enemy objects, you'll have more than enough ammo when you need it. Game tactics.
1

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#19

Secrets are supposed to be bonuses, not something you need to explore in order to be able to use weapons other than the pistol. So, that's bad game design if anything.
-1

User is offline   thatguy 

#20

Way to miss the point. They didn't want you to feel like you can use whatever weapon you want. Guess what? You don't have to find secrets to keep ammo. Just don't abuse limited ammo weapons. Resident Evil sucks because you have to look for ammo which is rare...lol its good game design.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#21

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 18 January 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Way to miss the point. They didn't want you to feel like you can use whatever weapon you want. Guess what? You don't have to find secrets to keep ammo. Just don't abuse limited ammo weapons. Resident Evil sucks because you have to look for ammo which is rare...lol its good game design.


I haven't played it yet but...rare ammo is good game design for an arcade style fast paced shooter? That doesn't sound right. Then again, Mikko is the sort of player who tends to rush through levels.

If James and Mikko both say it gets boring fast --something I already suspected from watching the videos-- then I'm betting it gets boring fast.
0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#22

If by rushing you mean that I don't hug every wall then yeah.

Btw, I do take my time to look around when there's a reason to, like cool aesthetics or for the sake of mood. But looking for closets that store a few bonus items isn't my idea of "time well spent". I do investigate if I see something that could be a secret but I don't backtrack for the sake of secrets.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 18 January 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Way to miss the point. They didn't want you to feel like you can use whatever weapon you want. Guess what? You don't have to find secrets to keep ammo. Just don't abuse limited ammo weapons.


Abuse how? You think I miss? Hah, you're speaking to the wrong dude.

I played this game all the way to the fifth level or so (where I died for the first time, then called it quits) and I still found myself using the pistol more often than any other weapon. Can't remember many times in, say, Quake 2 that I had to resort to the Blaster after the first map.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

#23

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 18 January 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

If by rushing you mean that I don't hug every wall then yeah.

Btw, I do take my time to look around when there's a reason to, like cool aesthetics or for the sake of mood. But looking for closets that store a few bonus items isn't my idea of "time well spent". I do investigate if I see something that could be a secret but I don't backtrack for the sake of secrets.



Abuse how? You think I miss? Hah, you're speaking to the wrong dude.

I played this game all the way to the fifth level or so (where I died for the first time, then called it quits) and I still found myself using the pistol more often than any other weapon. Can't remember many times in, say, Quake 2 that I had to resort to the Blaster after the first map.


I think what they wanted to do is create the emphasis on the main weapon and the other weapons are seen as 'temporary powerups'. Sort of like a lot of retro shooters.
0

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

  • Banned on Rigel

#24

Resident Evil sucks because the controls are bollocks and it's boring.
0

User is offline   Lunick 

  • Snazzy Ex Tazzy

#25

I'm bumping an old thread, fight me Mblackwell/Hendricks

The game has reached the stage of Steam Greenlight http://steamcommunit...s/?id=375199095 but the release date is apparently 2016.

Also some new videos:



2

#26

The bloom looks pretty overdone in those videos. It's quite a stark contrast (literally!) from the alpha. I can't really see what the point of it was apart from taking away from the nice, clean aesthetic they had achieved before.

And maybe I'm just a bad person, but I'm terribly bemused by the fact that the art style apparently transformed from anime to furry.
0

#27

The art style has pretty much always been furry since the first public release,so.

Also, there's a secret keybind in the game to make it where you can charge the guns like in megaman. I can't remember what it was, seeing as it's been 3 years now since I tried this.
0

User is offline   HulkNukem 

#28

I like the art and the color style, it really pops and looks great. Also, sprites look real good.

But man, it looks more like a Wolfenstein engine game than a Quake one as far as level design goes; everything seems to take place on a 64x64 grid and barely any multi-level rooms. What gives?

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 16 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

0

User is offline   Lunick 

  • Snazzy Ex Tazzy

#29

Well it was once upon a time a Wolf3D mod...
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10926428_780040718731861_4169567181280287423_n.png?oh=31454c5fd9778d7286a4ac42c0430c4e&oe=5526D15B
1

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

#30

I wouldn't even call the art style "furry," that cybernetic animal shit existed back in the 90's and no one gave a fuck because it was awesome.

This post has been edited by BREAKINGTHELAYOUT ISACRIME: 16 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

1

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options